Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Wasn't Tillerson part of some resignation pact, where if he went, someone else went too?

remains to be seen, but from what I recall that was more of a "quit together" pact than a "quit if you're fired" pact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
rex tillersson more like rekt tillerson

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/936688444046266368

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jabor posted:

"if my car could fly, i wouldn't get stuck in traffic"

it's a chronic lack of imagination

yeah just watch fifth element

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

President Beep posted:

i want that cool little helicopter thingy from the road warrior. id zoom it around and buzz rich fuckers in their flying escalades.

an autogyro?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Xaris posted:

yeah just watch fifth element

in fifth element the cars had boxes in them that monitored if you were a good driver and automatically ticketed you for driving poorly, america would never allow that

i mean unless they got a 5% discount on car insurance i guess

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

i dont think it was an autogyro. those don’t have powered rotors like a helicopter does.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

haveblue posted:

remains to be seen, but from what I recall that was more of a "quit together" pact than a "quit if you're fired" pact

it was mnuchin and mattis iirc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

President Beep posted:

i dont think it was an autogyro. those don’t have powered rotors like a helicopter does.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autogyro?wprov=sfti1

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

with his attention span "soon" basically means "in the next five minutes"

also there was supposedly a resignation pact but lol if you trust someone nicknamed "mad dog" or anyone who would agree to be in trump's administration, really

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
idk if someone told me "trump wants you to be in a position where you could conceivably intervene if he went (extra-)crazy one day and ordered a nuclear first strike" i'd probably sigh and take the job

there's definitely way worse people that could be secretary of defense right now

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

idk if someone told me "trump wants you to be in a position where you could conceivably intervene if he went (extra-)crazy one day and ordered a nuclear first strike" i'd probably sigh and take the job

there's definitely way worse people that could be secretary of defense right now

yeah it's really surprising that the most level-headed and stable person in trump's cabinet right now is the general who famously said killing people was fun

like he's not good but he managed to talk trump out of torturing people somehow so good for you buddy

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

President Beep posted:

i want that cool little helicopter thingy from the road warrior. id zoom it around and buzz rich fuckers in their flying escalades.

you can buy a kit helicopter and die in a crash right now, friend

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
back when my family had a popular mechanics subscription i remember reading a lot of ads for helicopter kits and hanger kits

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Improbable Lobster posted:

back when my family had a popular mechanics subscription i remember reading a lot of ads for helicopter kits and hanger kits

I remember reading those when I was a kid and wondering why someone didn't just buy like 100 model airplane engines and stick them all on someone capable of carrying a human

welp

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Improbable Lobster posted:

i wouldn't think teenagers who read popular mechanics would suddenly, urgently need a hanger

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

mom! it's not a honkoff hangar it's a self love quonset hut

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ate all the Oreos posted:

tell us more about your disdain for public schools friend :allears:

This clear enough for you?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

squirt yurt

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
ehhhh more people get shot at nightclubs and churches and outdoor concerts these days

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and if i was legally required to send a kid to 13 years of a nightclub i'd care about that

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

jizz joint

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im not worried about any theoretical children being shot btw. im worried about them being turned into Little Soldiers already pre-ptsd'd from intensive school shooting drills and Texas schoolbooks

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
oh yeah i forgot movie theaters people get shot a lot there too

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

muckswirler posted:

mom! it's not a honkoff hangar it's a self love quonset hut

lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

once at lunch in middle school I saw a kid pick up a plastic char and hit another kit with it hard enough to knock him out cold. then he took his shirt off and ran out of the building. probably 11 years old??

if you send your kid to public school they might see cool stuff like that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh yeah i forgot movie theaters people get shot a lot there too

that theatre is the best for opening night flicks now b/c nobody has the stones to attend

force awakens premiere was 70% empty, got to stretch out, it was great

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

at rich private schools nothing bad ever happens

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

im not worried about any theoretical children being shot btw. im worried about them being turned into Little Soldiers already pre-ptsd'd from intensive school shooting drills and Texas schoolbooks

the shooting drills thing will probably be done in a few years once it's no longer seen as a good method of relieving anxiety among parents by the worthless school admins, and texas as a schoolbook market is still dwarfed by california which tends to be incompatible ideologically

i'm more interested in indoctrinating all future children with pledge of allegiance protestation, that poo poo is creepy as hell and i'm glad that my weirdo magnet school didn't make us do it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

that theatre is the best for opening night flicks now b/c nobody has the stones to attend

force awakens premiere was 70% empty, got to stretch out, it was great

hell yeah

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

a name for a small plastic hut packed with children

all righty then

e: this is not a suggestion that this poster likes children, but rather a very likely explanation for a teenage boy's use case for a sprung shelter

hey is that why they call them sprung shelters

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 13, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

all righty then

we were talking about emergency relief hangars from the back of popular mechanics

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

all righty then

lol. i obviously missed a turn in the convo there.

:downsgun:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

yeah that was a picture that popped in in the middle of an ongoing chat

i do not believe that forums poster president beep meant that, and it wasn't nice of me to even joke about it so let's go fix that shall we

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

infernal machines posted:

we were talking about emergency relief hangars from the back of popular mechanics

oh well in that case put me down for "sprung shelter"

or "tent detent detente tent"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jonny 290 posted:

lol the ol texas schoolbook rant

fact: texas schoolbooks only show up in shitstack conservative states/districts. just don't live in one of those, you make a p dece 6 figgies its not hard

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the shooting drills thing will probably be done in a few years once it's no longer seen as a good method of relieving anxiety among parents by the worthless school admins, and texas as a schoolbook market is still dwarfed by california which tends to be incompatible ideologically

yeah texas buying only guides what conservative districts/states do, and they were always going to choose the worst books regardless. nearly all texas books are unsuitable for use in better places so dont show up there

there's generally a number of choices states/districts/however an area allocates the decisions/etc have for textbooks, and there's always gonna be at least a counter to the texas ones.

Shaggar posted:

induced demand is a stupid term and hidden demand is better. and many times its not even that its actually slightly faster, you just can tell because demand before was so high and you've only increased capacity by a tiny fraction of the pre-existing demand.

The problem with road widening is more that people are idiots and will gently caress up traffic by always being in the wrong lane. the more lanes, the more they gently caress it up.

this is totally true but it makes people really mad for some reason. nobody's going move to shitstack, ohio just to make use of the new lane added onto ohio 9483 into columbus or whatever. most major metro areas have fairly light traffic on their wide roadways during the day and especially at night, the lanes aren't inducing any special extra demand that Must Fill It Up.

having wide stretches of roadway makes a lot of merging issues happen. you can really only get around it by splitting up the carriageways but the people demanding JUST BUILD MORE LANES usually don't want that because it'll take away some lanes on their 10 lane a side hellroad in order to have proper shoulders and barriers between the carriageways, proper access between those for emergency use, building in the new ramps (or even deciding whether the two carriageways will have access to the same exits rather than just being a means of separating types of traffic) etc

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

and private schools don't do school shooting drills?

idk growing up we did very regular tornado drills where we all got under our desks and hoped that the tornado didn't eat us and it didn't gently caress anyone up, i'm sure shooting drills seem terrifying to us as a concept but to kids it's probably just noise at this point with no real meaning

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm more interested in indoctrinating all future children with pledge of allegiance protestation, that poo poo is creepy as hell and i'm glad that my weirdo magnet school didn't make us do it

back when i was an ~edgy teen~ i'd very quickly take my hand off my heart and not say the "under god" part and this one girl in class got super fuckin' mad and the teacher was like "it's his right not to, why even pledge to the flag if you're not ok with the freedoms it represents" and i'm like :patriot: thanks coolteacher

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

yeah that was a picture that popped in in the middle of an ongoing chat

i do not believe that forums poster president beep meant that, and it wasn't nice of me to even joke about it so let's go fix that shall we

no harm, no foul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
don't loving homeschool unless you want your kid to be emotionally and socially stunted

just move to a first world country where public school isn't a punishment for the students that go there