Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
There should be a big flashing warning in case I might (accidentally) burn some apostate relative and become a kinslayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dwesa posted:

There should be a big flashing warning in case I might (accidentally) burn some apostate relative and become a kinslayer.

Burning apostate relatives shouldn't give Kinslayer at all, in the context. You're killing them because you love God more than you love them and because they don't love God (at least, not properly). It's the one circumstance in which God won't look on you unfavourably for using Auntie Petunia as a decorative candle.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I think I just experienced a mercenary hiring bug. I was at war with a superior power but had a shitton of money, so I hired a mercenary band, but that still wasn't enough so I tried to hire another. When I clicked "Hire" the first band disappeared, so I tried again and the same thing happened.

Can you only have one group of mercs at a time or something now?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I think that happened to me the other day, I assumed I'd just been an idiot and accidentally dismissed the first lot.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jedit posted:

Burning apostate relatives shouldn't give Kinslayer at all, in the context. You're killing them because you love God more than you love them and because they don't love God (at least, not properly). It's the one circumstance in which God won't look on you unfavourably for using Auntie Petunia as a decorative candle.

God might not look upon you unfavorably, but other people might. I dunno, maybe situations like that warrant a different trait to indicate you "chose God over family" which gives you a kinslayer-sized opinion penalty with most people but a bonus with same trait or zealous co-religionists.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Pakled posted:

God might not look upon you unfavorably, but other people might. I dunno, maybe situations like that warrant a different trait to indicate you "chose God over family" which gives you a kinslayer-sized opinion penalty with most people but a bonus with same trait or zealous co-religionists.
If my relative was a Satan worshipping serial killer, people would be probably more angry at me for NOT denouncing/punishing him, because it would be a sign of serious nepotism and injustice.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 11, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd been trying to rinse out the Iconoclasm heresy from my empire for the longest time, and I finally instituted the religious revocation law, and my entire empire went thunderdome with vassals revoking their vassals' titles. It was amazing, and really livened up my waiting out the threat level.

Is there a special way to manage viceroyalty titles beyond just transferring vassalage?

And any advice for how to become a master seducer? Last time I tried it didn't work out.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I was going to try an Ironman Byz run, what's a good start date/interesting character to play?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I was going to try an Ironman Byz run, what's a good start date/interesting character to play?

1068, you get Romanos Diogenes. He's the emperor that lost Manzikert, but statwise, he's much better suited to actually winning than his 1066 counterpart.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

The default 1066 is actually pretty fun because you are in a relatively tough war. Your current emperor is awful and his heir is too you are likely to face revolts once you win.

The next one up that starts in the 1200s is also good because you have tons of strong claims that you can press all at once against the Latin Empire.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Is there anyway to actually interact with India while playing in Europe other than just conquering your way through Persia?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Is there anyway to actually interact with India while playing in Europe other than just conquering your way through Persia?

Not that I can tell, no. I still have no idea why it's even in the game, honestly.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You can take some stuff in Egypt area to get ports on the Red Sea and then you can just sail to India instead of going all the way through Persia. But it's kind of pointless really.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

OctaviusBeaver posted:

You can get the event where a bunch of merchants spend the night in your castle, tell you stories of Hindustan, and leave you a slave as a gift.

Come to think of it, I'm up to the point in my Byz game that I'm going to need to start taking serious bites out of Italy, and Genoa and Venice might end up losing their republic status in the process. Should I plan to make more vassal republics to replace them? Maybe further from Amalfi so as not to be in competition? I might be able to set up republics on the Red, Black, and Caspian seas too if I try, should I?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

And any advice for how to become a master seducer? Last time I tried it didn't work out.

Go in the character finder and invite some Lustful characters to your court for easy seduction. Your skill levels up when you make someone your lover. The wiki has a good guide for the finer details.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

quote:

Seduce rose bush (if lunatic and attracted to women)
25% chance of scarred
If male, 50% chance to be followed by a baby with the attractive trait being found in the garden. You will have the choice to declare the child yours.

:psyduck:

This game. This...loving...game.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's one of the events that taunted with the possibility of ironman hellenic paganism, as the mother of the rosebush baby is defined with it (and then immediately vanished).

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Agreed, but I like that it says "Attracted to women", rather than just "Male".

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I like that this scar gives a prestige bonus.

Yeah, this is our ruler, who bravely fought a rose bush with his dick

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

pidan posted:

I like that this scar gives a prestige bonus.

Yeah, this is our ruler, who bravely fought a rose bush with his dick

Is there a craven way to fight a rose bush with your dick?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
How does the game determine the diplomatic range of China? For some reason in my game, Spain and North Africa can interact with them, but I can't, being on Crete. Is there some sort of tier limit? Did they just get bits of land in the Middle East and that's letting them? I'm sure that Chinese artefacts will be super helpful in pillaging the Med, and it would be real helpful if I can, say, get the grace to destroy some of my enemies and loot the ashes.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

darthbob88 posted:

Agreed, but I like that it says "Attracted to women", rather than just "Male".

Probably because those are two different things.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chakan posted:

Probably because those are two different things.

Yes, that's the point. It's nice that the game acknowledges that. Gays exist! :toot:

Though it can have some unintended consequences. Lesbians make some of the best wives because they can't be seduced by the court tomcat and turn into poxy embarrassments. The don't seem to produce substantially fewer children either, they are down with doing their reproductive duty, but any extra curricular activities need to be with other lesbians.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They're only good if you're worried with gavelkind about producing heirs. If you've got primogeniture or you're trying to do some inheritance shenanigans, a lesbian wife or a gay ruler can ruin everything.

Although really, most plants are hermaphroditic, so it shouldn't make a difference.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SlothfulCobra posted:

They're only good if you're worried with gavelkind about producing heirs. If you've got primogeniture or you're trying to do some inheritance shenanigans, a lesbian wife or a gay ruler can ruin everything.

Although really, most plants are hermaphroditic, so it shouldn't make a difference.

I don't have a huge sample size, but my lesbian wives all produced 3 or 4 kids. :shrug: Like RL history homosexuals they seem to understand that dynasty is important. Marrying someone you actually find attractive is a peasant luxury, nobles get what they get.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well if you want a women to also have a chance of getting a kid from the rosebush event since plants are hermaphroditic, she is gonna get some pretty severe wounds up there :magical:.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Pharohman777 posted:

Well if you want a women to also have a chance of getting a kid from the rosebush event since plants are hermaphroditic, she is gonna get some pretty severe wounds up there :magical:.

Women get an equivalent satyr event I believe

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Crusader Kings II:

Facebook Aunt posted:

my lesbian wives all produced 3 or 4 kids

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yes, that's the point. It's nice that the game acknowledges that. Gays exist! :toot:

Though it can have some unintended consequences. Lesbians make some of the best wives because they can't be seduced by the court tomcat and turn into poxy embarrassments. The don't seem to produce substantially fewer children either, they are down with doing their reproductive duty, but any extra curricular activities need to be with other lesbians.

Plus, they're not going to start hating you if you get your face sliced off and got hit with a massive attraction malus...

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I haven't played in years and was p bad back then, but I'm in the middle of an ironman run as Sardinia. I made the Kingdom of Corsica and Sardinia, conquered Salerno, had a nice holy war going in Calabria that the loving Byzantines stole from me, and have now taken over the Amalfi merchant republic.

So, question: I now have the "wrong demesne" penalty. Should I be releasing Amalfi into vassalage? I can't convert to a merchant repub now right? What's the best way of planning ahead now?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I haven't played in years and was p bad back then, but I'm in the middle of an ironman run as Sardinia. I made the Kingdom of Corsica and Sardinia, conquered Salerno, had a nice holy war going in Calabria that the loving Byzantines stole from me, and have now taken over the Amalfi merchant republic.

So, question: I now have the "wrong demesne" penalty. Should I be releasing Amalfi into vassalage? I can't convert to a merchant repub now right? What's the best way of planning ahead now?

When you have a wrong thing in your demesne, dump it on some friendly looking courtier asap. Also a good way to kick an undeserving son out of your inheritance line. Not sure how it works with other people's inheritance.

Now I do wonder: assuming I want Duke Bob's second son to inherit the duchy, can I give his firstborn a bishopric, or will that just mean his duchy turns into the Archbishopric of Bobistan when Bob dies?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The problem there is that the primary holding of that county is a city, and as a feudal lord, you can't hold one of those without there being issues. You can take a barony in the county (or build one) and switch that to the primary title.

You can also keep the merchant republic of Amalfi alive as a vassal, which has its own advantages, but I don't really know the numbers. If you just busted out of Sardinia, the extra personal land might be more important to you than the cash.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Figure out how to make the castle holder die, and inherit the castle. Then create a new city baron vassal.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

binge crotching posted:

Figure out how to make the castle holder die, and inherit the castle. Then create a new city baron vassal.

Once again, the solution is :ese:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

binge crotching posted:

Or just revoke it. The tyranny hit isn't that bad for baronies.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Or just revoke it. The tyranny hit isn't that bad for baronies.

You often get a Plot to Revoke option don't you, which wouldn't get you the tyranny malus?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Coward posted:

You often get a Plot to Revoke option don't you, which wouldn't get you the tyranny malus?

That isn't one of the circumstances in which you can use a revoke plot.

Honestly just revoke the barony. The tyranny penalty for that only lasts five years and you're too small for it to matter anyway.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

catlord posted:

How does the game determine the diplomatic range of China? For some reason in my game, Spain and North Africa can interact with them, but I can't, being on Crete. Is there some sort of tier limit? Did they just get bits of land in the Middle East and that's letting them? I'm sure that Chinese artefacts will be super helpful in pillaging the Med, and it would be real helpful if I can, say, get the grace to destroy some of my enemies and loot the ashes.

They probably inherited a single province somewhere near Persia. Diplomatic range seems to be counting distance between the borders, not capitals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I think it's lame that diplomacy and marriage are basically impossible with other religion groups. IRL wasn't it pretty common for Iberian Christians and Muslims to switch sides? And I'm pretty sure the Byzantines married off at least a handful of princesses to the Turks and Mongols. It should definitely be harder than with coreligionists but there should be some ways to interact with them other than having them as vassals (and revoking as soon as possible).

• Locked thread