Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The best filler ep of all time is when Goku and Piccolo have to learn to drive a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Blue Moonlight posted:

First Contact was fun, but pretty bog-standard action-adventure. Nemesis is what happens when you let a fanboy take the reins and basically have to bribe half your cast to do it at all.

first contact was almost a good tng movie but it settled for being a decent action-adventure film instead imuo

even in the tng/ds9 era the federation was capable of acting in reasoned, rational self-defense on the rare occasion when opponents would leave them no choice and we'd get sick nasty war sequences of ships blowing the piss out of each other, the problem with first contact was they turned it into acting in passionate self defense by having picard scream while cutting down swaths of borg because apparently he has an irrational personal vendetta now while other dudes dropped action movie one liners - when the crew briefly glimpsed the assimilated future earth knowing that billions of sentient lives had been enslaved, billions more would never come to be and that humanity's bright future was stolen from it in one swoop that ethical catastrophe should have been enough for everyone to realize the gravity of the situation and recognize they could not allow such a thing to pass regardless of the personal sacrifices involved; with a few tweaks imuo you could easily get movie that pleases fans and casual audiences

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

veni veni veni posted:

PHUO the only star trek thing that isn't super boring and lame is the whale movie.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
All Star Trek things are boring and lovely. Except the Black Mirror ep if you count that. Accurate depiction of a Trek liking person imo.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Watch Mindhunter for a real look into the Trekkie mind.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DS9 is good show, but I can understand why Star Trek fans forget about it. Everyone cares about Spock and Kirk but not Bashir and Kira Nerys who are way more interesting. Kira is a god drat legit terrorist who has admitted to killing countless children and civilians and she's one of the good guys in a Star Trek show. Gene Roddenberry would have had a stroke if he saw it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Says You is the most offensive radio show on the air today.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Childrens Hospital is one of the best TV shows of the last decade.

The movie "Don't Think Twice" is really well-made for what it is, but half the main cast is 15-20 years older than the roles call for and it drags the whole thing down. I'm sorry Keegan but you look and move like a 45 year-old, quit playing a doe-eyed 20 year old discovering the big leagues are rough.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I'm going to watch this now because you and others have said this.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It isn't all gold, but there's a lot of genius little jokes all throughout.

Also Erin Hayes is a goddamn comedic beast and it is no surprise Kevin James fired her from his lukewarm sitcom.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

mind the walrus posted:

I think this is only an unpopular opinion because not enough people watched Childrens Hospital

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Family Matters is the best television show of whatever decade it was made in. I like to do the urkel.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

The movie "Don't Think Twice" is really well-made for what it is, but half the main cast is 15-20 years older than the roles call for and it drags the whole thing down. I'm sorry Keegan but you look and move like a 45 year-old, quit playing a doe-eyed 20 year old discovering the big leagues are rough.

I thought everyone in that movie was supposed to be sad, aging comic failures?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

hard counter posted:

first contact was almost a good tng movie but it settled for being a decent action-adventure film instead imuo

even in the tng/ds9 era the federation was capable of acting in reasoned, rational self-defense on the rare occasion when opponents would leave them no choice and we'd get sick nasty war sequences of ships blowing the piss out of each other, the problem with first contact was they turned it into acting in passionate self defense by having picard scream while cutting down swaths of borg because apparently he has an irrational personal vendetta now while other dudes dropped action movie one liners - when the crew briefly glimpsed the assimilated future earth knowing that billions of sentient lives had been enslaved, billions more would never come to be and that humanity's bright future was stolen from it in one swoop that ethical catastrophe should have been enough for everyone to realize the gravity of the situation and recognize they could not allow such a thing to pass regardless of the personal sacrifices involved; with a few tweaks imuo you could easily get movie that pleases fans and casual audiences

That's the thing, though: it's not an irrational personal vendetta. He was essentially raped by the Borg. They captured him, turned him into one of them, and then forced him to help them devastate part of his own fleet. It's perfectly understandable that Picard would have been traumatized by that and would react that way if the Borg were invading his ship, which he probably saw as an extension of himself.

First Contact is the best of the TNG movies. It still doesn't rise to the level of a Wrath of Khan, but it's better than any of the other TNG movies.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Picard already went through the trauma and found peace in himself in the episode where he hangs out in his family vineyard. Then the movie comes out and he's a raging killing machine again.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Trauma never leaves you, and while crying in the mud with your brother is good for you, it's not gonna fix everything. If the Borg show up again, it's gonna be a problem.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

"Fly" is one of the best episodes in BB.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

^ Exactly. The fact that it all came back to Picard in First Contact and retraumatized him is probably very true to real life situations. Experiences like that are not easily shaken off, and Star Trek writers deserve a lot of credit for not letting the Locutus experiences become simply a one-off after a couple of episodes.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Chernabog posted:

"Fly" is one of the best episodes in BB.

I skip it every time I rewatch it :colbert:

It's better than the finale though.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 17:20 on Mar 12, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I skip it every time I rewatch it :colbert:

It's better than the finale though.

now THAT might be the most controversial opinion ever posted in this thread

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

^ Exactly. The fact that it all came back to Picard in First Contact and retraumatized him is probably very true to real life situations. Experiences like that are not easily shaken off, and Star Trek writers deserve a lot of credit for not letting the Locutus experiences become simply a one-off after a couple of episodes.

They had multiple episodes about Picard's relationship with the Borg after that. There was the one where he recovered in the family vineyard, then there was the whole Hu episode where Picard's entire arc was about learning to see the Borg as something other than a threat, and then there were a couple more episodes where he dealt with the Borg afterwards and he was rational about it.

First Contact ignored all that. Like, even to the point where in First Contact they say that the Enterprise wasn't summoned to help fight the Borg because the Federation was worried that Picard would be irrational after getting assimilated, despite the fact that in the show the Enterprise was summoned to help fight the Borg and Picard's assimilation was barely mentioned.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That's the thing, though: it's not an irrational personal vendetta. He was essentially raped by the Borg.

the problem most people have is there's been a few borg-centric episodes since that two-parter and picard managed to keep his usual levelheadedness, calm and sound judgement in all of them, even showing mercy to the entire collective when presented with a chance to destroy them all once he realizes individual borg aren't evil but are trapped in an evil system that could plausibly change since its individuals can change to a degree, whereas the movie framed it as an experience that seriously unhinged him in his dealings with the borg to the point of damaging his rep with starfleet, at least until he let go nearer to the end

it's a relatively small gripe, first contact is one of the few trek movies in general my more casual audience friends like, but it has conceits that arguably misrepresents characters and misses the particular spirit of tng over the other treks - like why would you use the tng property for your movie if not to embrace its particular ethos? - so i can see why fans weren't pleased, it'd be real easy to tweak a few things tho imuo

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't really believe people when they say they can't listen to something or watch something because of _______ thing the artist did. I think it's a cheap dopamine release and basically the left wing equivalent of talking about the good ol days.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Patrick Stewart just wanted to be an action star while he could.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I only consume problematic media, and I'm both stronger and better than everyone because of it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Guy Goodbody posted:

They had multiple episodes about Picard's relationship with the Borg after that. There was the one where he recovered in the family vineyard, then there was the whole Hu episode where Picard's entire arc was about learning to see the Borg as something other than a threat, and then there were a couple more episodes where he dealt with the Borg afterwards and he was rational about it.

First Contact ignored all that. Like, even to the point where in First Contact they say that the Enterprise wasn't summoned to help fight the Borg because the Federation was worried that Picard would be irrational after getting assimilated, despite the fact that in the show the Enterprise was summoned to help fight the Borg and Picard's assimilation was barely mentioned.

Well, Hugh was a single Borg. That's a much less stressful episode than the Borg not only traveling back in time to alter human history, but systematically taking over your ship. So it's possible that the stress retraumatized Picard and caused him to act out.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

hawowanlawow posted:

I don't really believe people when they say they can't listen to something or watch something because of _______ thing the artist did. I think it's a cheap dopamine release and basically the left wing equivalent of talking about the good ol days.

Woody Allen is pedophile who groomed his daughter, and the fact that he's still lauded as a great director and attends fancy parties with his child-bride on his arm is disgusting. I don't care how good Manhattan is, there are thousands of good movies that weren't made by open and unrepentant pedophiles.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Guy Goodbody posted:

Woody Allen is pedophile who groomed his daughter, and the fact that he's still lauded as a great director and attends fancy parties with his child-bride on his arm is disgusting. I don't care how good Manhattan is, there are thousands of good movies that weren't made by open and unrepentant pedophiles.

I mean, if the rumors about Hollywood are to be believed...

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

people do good and bad things

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't care how good _________ is

just think about this phrase

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hawowanlawow posted:

just think about this phrase

Yeah man I mean Mussolini made the trains run on time

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

you're missing the second part of what I'm mocking, which would be "therefore, making trains run on time is bad"

making trains run on time = good

being a fascist = bad

they are unrelated

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

He actually didn’t though, so there’s really no defense for his regime.

Seriously, I love how that’s like the go to example for how at the very least fascism is efficient and it actually proves the opposite.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Cloud Atlas is a great movie.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

hawowanlawow posted:

people do good and bad things

Making some decent movies and having a good take about how to handle nazis doesn't quite outweigh literally raising a child to be your wife

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

fruit on the bottom posted:

He actually didn’t though, so there’s really no defense for his regime.

Seriously, I love how that’s like the go to example for how at the very least fascism is efficient and it actually proves the opposite.

Maybe if enough people believe it, it becomes true.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

MizPiz posted:

Making some decent movies and having a good take about how to handle nazis doesn't quite outweigh literally raising a child to be your wife

they don't have to outweigh each other, they are unrelated

implying that liking a movie someone made is essentially going to bat for the person who made it is disingenuous and self serving

hawowanlawow has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Mar 13, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What if you don't want to financially support that person by not giving them money

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

What if you don't want to financially support that person by not giving them money

wait until they die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Mu Zeta posted:

You just have to accept that you will always be giving money to bad people, and choose to not feel bad about it.