Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Hausu, Fury Road, and Female Trouble are all obviously perfect.

E: oops. Stupid snipe. I have nothing new to provide to Star Wars, sorry.

2e: much like Disney.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

And nobody has mentioned The Room?

Impressive

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

The Day the Clown Cried

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

UmOk posted:

Are there any obviously perfect films?

Hook.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Also an acceptable answer.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

UmOk posted:

Yojimbo, The Princess Bride,

Grendels Dad posted:

Conan, The Barbarian.

Also this.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

UmOk posted:

children of paradise

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Bought The Last Jedi on iTunes this morning and had time to watch the deleted scenes before work. They're fun, but it's really good they were cut. The village scene kinda pushes Luke a little too far into rear end in a top hat territory, so I can see why they cut it. The only scene I wish they still kept in was Finn talking with his old Stormtrooper buddy, but again, fun to watch, but was in no way needed in an already long movie. The Phasma scene that was posted earlier is a better end to her character, but the blaster shots are so silly that yeah, the scene doesn't really work. And the fathier chase scene really didn't need to be longer.

I'll need to watch them with the commentary later to see what Rian Johnson says about them.

I also feel the need to reiterate how loving gorgeous this movie is. Getting to watch this whenever I want will be a treat.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

I can not wait to watch TLJ in 4K. Some of those shots are so beautiful.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The lovely theater near me is always out of focus and everything looks better on a 4k tv now

They're gonna need something to make me want to go to theaters more soon

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

moist turtleneck posted:

The lovely theater near me is always out of focus and everything looks better on a 4k tv now

They're gonna need something to make me want to go to theaters more soon

Agreed. When I see movies in the theater now, it's so I don't have to wait to see the movie at all. If movies came out for home release at the same time as in theater, I would never see a movie in the theater again.

I have an almost 2 year old though, so that's a big part of the reason why.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

IMAX is worth going to I find. Even the quasi Imaxs.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

euphronius posted:

IMAX is worth going to I find. Even the quasi Imaxs.

drat straight. I made the mistake of seeing Black Panther in my local theater after having seen it at a imax opening night.

I don’t know how people still see movies at these places. The bulb was either really old or kept dim on purpose. The movie was a muddy mess where you could barely see anything that happened in the dark.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/972232895627649024

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Cnut the Great posted:

I just saw it and this is basically what I thought.

TLJ suffers from some serious Rogue One syndrome. It's more creative and by all rights should be a better movie than TFA, but it somehow manages not to be.

There are many flashes of brilliance in this movie. Unfortunately--and this is extremely baffling and, believe me, genuinely surprising to me, because Rian Johnson's episodes of Breaking Bad are some of my favorites--it's just a generally poorly directed movie. I can go in to more depth later, but on the most surface of levels this movie is just too long. It drags. Johnson fails on one of the most basic levels, presumably because he's just completely unwilling to kill his darlings. He needs to take Kylo Ren's advice: Kill it. Shorten some scenes, cut some filler sequences, make some tough decisions. That's what being a director is about.

And this movie seems to be getting praised a lot for zigging where TESB and ROTJ zag, and I will give credit where credit's due. But it's done in such a systematic and obsessively self-conscious manner that it's really just as beholden to the originals as TFA was, only in a different way. I know I'll get accused of being impossible to please, but TLJ is really just as tiresomely meta as TFA and just as hopelessly fixated on the OT. Why can't we have a movie that genuinely blazes new trails and deals with new issues without it being a two-and-a-half hour meditation on Star Wars as a cultural touchstone? Star Wars is supposed to be about larger issues, about ideas that are timeless, about religion, history, politics, ethics, philosophy, culture, anthropology. Star Wars isn't old enough or significant enough to be about itself. In fact, it only makes itself less significant when it is.

And at the end of the day, what's the main twist? Kylo kills Snoke so he can join with Rey in reshaping the galaxy into his own personal vision of perfection? That's exactly what Vader wanted to do! He just never got the chance. We're not dealing with new themes or philosophical issues here, not really. It's a purely mechanical deviation in the plot of ROTJ. Now, that is something, but it's not exactly what people are making it out to be. And that's what most of the zags are. They're zags for their own sake, rather than for any obvious or burning thematic reason that actually makes sense. Sure, Kylo says he wants to destroy the past and create something new apart from the Jedi or the Sith. What does that actually mean, though? I seriously doubt we'll get a coherent answer to that. It's just something that sounds bold and fresh and iconoclastic. Unless they intend to abandon the essential underpinnings of the series and end the saga with some nihilistic claim about the fundamental meaningless of the distinction between good and evil and mumble mumble shades of gray--which is already the stated philosophy of the Sith, anyway--then I'm not sure where they can possibly be going with it.

Now, like I said, there's good stuff in this movie. Luke's speech to Rey about what the Force is, that was pretty good. The scene with Rey in the cave encountering multiplicities of herself was pretty good. The scenes of Rey and Kylo communing with each other were good. Oscar Isaac, as always, was unfairly handsome and rugged. John Boyega is always an affable presence (too bad he's still being mostly wasted as a character). I liked the actress who played Rose. I liked the alien drunkenly stuffing coins into BB-8 so that BB-8 could later weaponize them as projectiles; that was a nice bit of unrepentant slapstick goofiness that was a welcome reprieve from the jarring, conspicuously modern, self-aware Whedon-esque humor that continues to pervade these new films (all six of the originals are almost completely devoid of hip humor, relying instead on that of the Vaudevillian and screwball variety, something which actually goes a long way to lending them their characteristic old-fashioned flavor). Ditto BB-8 struggling to plug up the electrical leaks inside Poe's starfighter with all his various appendages, that gave me a good chuckle. I liked the all-red aesthetic of Snoke's throne room.

old quoting but this is good. I agree, the film tries to be different but really is the same.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I hate that the digital release is so far in advance of the physical release. Shame they don't send the digital codes out from Blu-ray preorders when the digital version releases

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

I hate that the digital release is so far in advance of the physical release. Shame they don't send the digital codes out from Blu-ray preorders when the digital version releases

I'm fine with it because Best Buy orders like three times as many steelbooks as they need and then they sit around on the shelf for the next year. So I'll wait a while and pick it up for half the price it is now, gently caress paying $30 for a new release.

Best Buy's been putting out a lot of steelbooks recently though, which I like. They're obviously transitioning to a more collector/niche philosophy where the blu ray section is very small but more focused on what collectors want.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Oh sweet

Hopefully this is still around when I input the code from my BD copy in a few weeks.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
https://twitter.com/theswlegacy/status/973267582521356289

I'm glad to see Mark had the same reaction I did to seeing (good) puppet Yoda return.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Saving all these vids so I can watch em on Blu. I hope they are on there at least!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vintersorg posted:

Saving all these vids so I can watch em on Blu. I hope they are on there at least!

I believe they're part of the making-of documentary, The Director and the Jedi.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

UmOk posted:

Taxi Driver.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

UmOk posted:

The Third Man

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Tremors was perfect but then RLM said it was perfect so people will just think I'm copying

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/973667151956594688?s=19
Big win for the parody dubbers out there, at the least

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hat Thoughts posted:

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/973667151956594688?s=19
Big win for the parody dubbers out there, at the least

Bad Lip Reading is gonna enjoy that

Maybe they can rope Mark in again to voice himself

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
The Rian Johnson documentary on the TLJ digital release is informative and long. Pretty much goes over the majority of the filming production. You also get his explanations for why he made the choices he did for all the usual talked about things. Most of that stuff he covered in later interviews, but you can tell all that stuff was on his mind, even during filming as he works through it and talks about it.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Teek posted:

The Rian Johnson documentary on the TLJ digital release is informative and long. Pretty much goes over the majority of the filming production. You also get his explanations for why he made the choices he did for all the usual talked about things. Most of that stuff he covered in later interviews, but you can tell all that stuff was on his mind, even during filming as he works through it and talks about it.

How much prequel talk is there?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is it as good as The Phantom Menace one?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
There's some prequel talk in there that I could recall from Rian, really minor though. The two I can remember were him talking about the failures of the Jedi and about needing Yoda to be a puppet? The prequels were kind of addressed in passing a few other times I believe , usually regarding some of the other production processes like effects or sound. It was more "historically we've done these things" rather than some specific point about the Prequels. There wasn't anything in there about wanting to address the Prequels, mainly that they're part of the canon and so they were used in some of his thought processes.

I don't recall the quality of the TPM documentary off hand, but maybe less so? I'm saying that because SW is GL's baby and he was the final say, so you would probably get a bigger picture of the process because of that.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The main TLJ documentary only runs up until the end of principal photography, whereas the one for Episode 1 went into the editing, VFX, and music, all the way up to the premiere.

Some of the other bonus features seem to touch on that stuff, but I haven't gotten through them all yet.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/973980889792294921
But what about his Taller Luke phase?

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 14, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm watching through all the TLJ deleted scenes, and there's a couple I really wish had been in the final cut of the film. Specifically the final showdown between Finn and Phasma, and Luke's little breakdown in his hut. Maybe the "raid" on the caretaker village too

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

jivjov posted:

I'm watching through all the TLJ deleted scenes, and there's a couple I really wish had been in the final cut of the film. Specifically the final showdown between Finn and Phasma, and Luke's little breakdown in his hut. Maybe the "raid" on the caretaker village too

Love Reys little lightsaber wave to get the caretakers back into their dance on that last one.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You've probably seen this but it needs to be posted here.

https://twitter.com/daisyridleee/status/973666036112347137

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

the blu ray isn't out in the Uk till the April 9th, the same date as the digital download :smith:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

If you poke around, there's footage of Banderas doing the same thing, going 'bang-bang-bang' since the muzzle flash would be added later.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Robot Style posted:

The main TLJ documentary only runs up until the end of principal photography, whereas the one for Episode 1 went into the editing, VFX, and music, all the way up to the premiere.

Some of the other bonus features seem to touch on that stuff, but I haven't gotten through them all yet.

Apparently they filmed 1600 hours of documentary footage and so there will likely be further TLJ documentaries. THis was revealed at SXSW interview with Rian and his documentary guy.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Maxwell Lord posted:

It;s like them being unable to get Wesley Snipes to open his eyes in Blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
apparently they had similar issues with ewan mcgregor constantly making lightsaber noises while filming the prequels :v: