Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

ZypherIM posted:

The limited number of stars we have mapped is based on time we've spent mapping and much less of a lack of ability.
Nah. Seeing through a galaxy's worth of dust and crap isn't as easy as you'd think, even if you're looking for giant balls of incandescent gas. Our telescopes are getting better all the time, but we still can't see close to everything yet (even with your revised figures, a 14 month mission to map the sky has catalogued less than a single percent, think about that).

I'm not arguing what's good for gameplay or not, I just thought it might be interesting to point out that in galactic terms we're pretty blind, and our "actual tech" (your words!) isn't quite as up to the task as you think.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's this one, for the record.

Yeah, yeah, C is C. A man can dream.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

canepazzo posted:

Wars with 2.0 have become something actually fun to do, but I wish there was more granularity to the conclusion; I want to be able to declare a true white peace or be able to choose less than all claims+occupations - sometimes you want to finish a war earlier than total win.

Yea. I don't like the way they work now.

The worst thing is when you're in a containment war led by another person in your federation and it just drags on until the other side is entirely exterminated. Like okay, but I can't be bothered doing this and I feel like I have no other choice.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I imagine forcing halts to wars in internal federation politicking would be part of the federation dlc, whenever that's coming.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

canepazzo posted:

Wars with 2.0 have become something actually fun to do, but I wish there was more granularity to the conclusion; I want to be able to declare a true white peace or be able to choose less than all claims+occupations - sometimes you want to finish a war earlier than total win.

Status Quo is exactly that. Wars have 3 outcomes - Side A gets a total win and enforces their war goal, Side B gets a total win and enforces their war goal and Status Quo which is everybody gets occupied and claimed. Status Quo is the "I'm done with this War for now" option - explicitly the option you choose when you want to get out earlier than a total win.

I totally understand the complaints about not being the primary actor in a war though - being the guy someone else brings along to the fight sucks because you've got zero agency. Your buddy on the other side of the galaxy can antagonize a Fallen Empire and the FE comes to stomp in your poo poo even though you had nothing to do with it. And the only thing you can do to make it stop is to send your fleets into the meatgrinder to rack up war exhaustion as quickly as possible to force your buddy who's not getting touched to surrender.

That's obviously worst case though, but even if it's not an FE, it usually awful to be the helper in war.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 13, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

DatonKallandor posted:

Status Quo is exactly that. Wars have 3 outcomes - Side A gets a total win and enforces their war goal, Side B gets a total win and enforces their war goal and Status Quo which is everybody gets occupied and claimed. Status Quo is the "I'm done with this War for now" option - explicitly the option you choose when you want to get out earlier than a total win.

These don't fit well with vassalization wars where you don't want territory.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Your buddy on the other side of the galaxy can antagonize a Fallen Empire and the FE comes to stomp in your poo poo even though you had nothing to do with it.

That's obviously worst case though, but even if it's not an FE, it usually awful to be the helper in war.

this is a really fun one now that wormhole connections count for neighbor purposes

hey, galactic community? maybe we should abandon the system with a wormhole connecting to the xenophobic fallen empire

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

It's more that in an exterminator war I'm taking loads of territory that might be super far away and I don't really care about and maybe my allies are too, so it gets all fuzzy.
But we're only on 30% exhaustion and there's ten systems to go, I can't be bothered doing it but I need to so the war will end and to stop them just taking the territory back again and making my time be a waste.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

How many of you favor Imperial Prerogative, cause I have a hard time passing it up once I hit my second ascension perk. The only things else I might want are trying out the new Mastery of Nature or seeing if Executive Vigor is still worth it even after the nerf.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Axetrain posted:

How many of you favor Imperial Prerogative, cause I have a hard time passing it up once I hit my second ascension perk. The only things else I might want are trying out the new Mastery of Nature or seeing if Executive Vigor is still worth it even after the nerf.

Imperial Prerogative is a crutch for bad gameplay habits. Get better at speed developing the layout of a planet then chucking it in a sector. Your inner perfectionist will rage but it's better that way.

Master of Nature is also not great. Too many things competing for influence. Executive Vigor is still amazing even at 50%, just not the best perk in the game.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

now that you can build buildings on and resettle sector planets, having a huge core sector is pointless; especially since if you really need the 25% of minerals/energy a sector keeps to itself, draining their stockpile is now possible too, if influence-expensive.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Axetrain posted:

I just took it as my 5th or 6th perk in 2300 because I have several systems that have multiple planets that I want under my direct control because of OCD and I hate dealing with sectors. I didnt see anything else that I felt I needed, but this will be the first time I hit the midgame since about a month after the game released so maybe I will wish I had taken something else.

edit:

Jazerus posted:

now that you can build buildings on and resettle sector planets, having a huge core sector is pointless; especially since if you really need the 25% of minerals/energy a sector keeps to itself, draining their stockpile is now possible too, if influence-expensive.
gently caress I didnt get this memo, regret is setting in.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Well I'm convinced, gonna go with EV then.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

wiegieman posted:

The odds of there not being other forms of life out there are incredibly small, so either we're first, it's impossible (or super, super difficult) to talk to other life or even get around, or there's another reason why we haven't met any yet.

We're actually a space zoo and aliens everywhere are laughing at how stupid we are

Ha ha ha, those dumb fuckers actually believe FTL is physically impossible!

No way, Xrlmnair, no living being can be that dumb!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Imperial prerogative isn't that great like the other guys said. The big thing is you can suck up sector resources now (at a cost), while before those just sort of disappeared into the ether. There are still some +core sector stuff you can get easily if 3 is too low for you, without spending a perk on it.

Unlike the other guy I'm going to defend mastery of nature even though I don't take it a ton. The energy cost for increasing planet size is off-set by the fact that you're spending less on tile blockers (which cost a significant chunk of energy now), and the influence cost is manageable. If you're in a period where you're not engaging in a war it gives you a place to spend that influence. The costs involved mean I probably wouldn't take it as a first perk, but something like executive vigor->mastery of nature->specialized branch [I]->specialized branch [II] isn't a terrible game plan (I've found I tend to have poo poo luck on tech pre-reqs for the trees, so usually I'm getting 3rd perk and the techs around the same time).

Also if you get terrible planet luck an extra 3-9 tiles can be pretty useful.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Jazerus posted:

this is a strange change, wasn't the whole idea of sectors to cut down on tile micromanagement by making you give up some planets to the AI. now it just makes tile micromanagement go through a more inconvenient UI / drains some resources?

admittedly, it was always a bad solution to the planetary management problem but the current mechanic is just baffling. it's like how starbases used to work with sector planets, but I figured they'd realised why that was a bad idea

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jazerus posted:

Also having multiple sectors gives you an expanded silo for mineral storage, although this is only really relevant in the early late game.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

this is a strange change, wasn't the whole idea of sectors to cut down on tile micromanagement by making you give up some planets to the AI. now it just makes tile micromanagement go through a more inconvenient UI / drains some resources?

Not really strange - the people who wanted to sperg over each planet really badly wanted to sperg over each planet, so this gives them a way to do that while letting the people who want less micro still have less micro.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I am hoping sectors will eventually be replaced by some kind of empire instability mechanic. It's way too easy to keep your empire stable forever. EUIV always has a feel of being on a catastrophe curve until you get really big.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ulmont posted:

Also having multiple sectors gives you an expanded silo for mineral storage, although this is only really relevant in the early late game.
poo poo I never even thought about this angle. I've been sitting at max energy and minerals 90% of the time for the past 20 years....some of that could have easily been going into a sector's pool :(

I guess learning poo poo like that is why I read this thread hahaha

edit:

Aethernet posted:

I am hoping sectors will eventually be replaced by some kind of empire instability mechanic. It's way too easy to keep your empire stable forever. EUIV always has a feel of being on a catastrophe curve until you get really big.
Yeah in both games I often feel like there is a certain point where I got from "frantically trying to keep up with the big guys" to "alright, now I'm the big guy, I can take it easy or focus on specific objects that I am now powerful enough to achieve without putting myself at risk, and doing so will make me even more powerful". And I'm essentially new to Stellaris because it has change so much since Launch and I didnt play it after the first month

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 13, 2018

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I still like Mastery of Nature for the energy discount because I like to actually spend energy now, especially on Enclaves. The "add tiles" feature is kinda marginal but it's useful sometimes. The energy discount is great if you get it early though (still pretty meaningless later on). Throwing 3k to the artists for the unity monument a few times early on can keep a rapidly-expanding empire pretty relevant in the unity game, but it's difficult to keep that much energy if you're trying to maximize mineral output and also clear out expensive tile blockers like mountains or volcanoes. At least, that's been my experience.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Magil Zeal posted:

Throwing 3k to the artists for the unity monument a few times early on can keep a rapidly-expanding empire pretty relevant in the unity game,
....you can do that more than once?!? :sigh:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You can do it exactly 5 times.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

I still like Mastery of Nature for the energy discount because I like to actually spend energy now, especially on Enclaves. The "add tiles" feature is kinda marginal but it's useful sometimes.

I hate Mastery of Nature now because I am perpetually influence constrained between new systems, claims, gateways, and habitats.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

You can do it four or five times in fact

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

ulmont posted:

Not really strange - the people who wanted to sperg over each planet really badly wanted to sperg over each planet, so this gives them a way to do that while letting the people who want less micro still have less micro.

this is wrong for reasons that have been endlessly rehashed, but what makes it strange is that they clearly understood why it is wrong, and if they changed their mind it would make much more sense to remove sectors entirely and add an "automate planet" button

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Y'all know that you could spend influence to drain sector stockpiles for a very long time now right? Like, even before you could directly build and resettle on sector planets.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

You can pay them 3k energy to be their patron for 10 years for 10% unity production bonus,

You can pay them like 5k energy (I think) for an Art Monument that you build on a planet which outputs a LOT of unity. You can buy several (but only put one on each planet). Off-hand I believe it's either 5 or 8 before they run out of them.

If they like you, they will eventually offer you a Ministry of Benevolence that gives another huge Unity production bonus. I remember this building being quite expensive.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

ulmont posted:

I hate Mastery of Nature now because I am perpetually influence constrained between new systems, claims, gateways, and habitats.

If you can build habitats you're past talking about how useful the early game perks are.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

ZypherIM posted:

If you can build habitats you're past talking about how useful the early game perks are.

...and before that I'm influenced constrained with new systems and claims. There is no time period where I have enough spare influence to make productive use of Mastery of Nature, which was my point.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I can't purge, but I did uplift a species who hates me and made claiming half of my empire their first act on the intergalactic stage so I figure I'll have some space soon.

hah i just remembered due to the enclave talk the festival the artist troupe puts on has a chance of killing a pop. so there ya go?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ZypherIM posted:

Interestingly another effect of turning up the tech costs is that the time based weighting causes you to get star fortresses remarkably "early" in relation to the other techs. Voidborne is generally one of my first picks.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Sloober posted:

its supposed to be GRAND strategy so i want my several hundred billion stars OK

Psh, for a Tiny map maybe. Let me choose Huge so I can play in Andromeda and have one trillion systems (and also bang the Turian chick)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ConfusedUs posted:

You can pay them 3k energy to be their patron for 10 years for 10% unity production bonus,

You can pay them like 5k energy (I think) for an Art Monument that you build on a planet which outputs a LOT of unity. You can buy several (but only put one on each planet). Off-hand I believe it's either 5 or 8 before they run out of them.

If they like you, they will eventually offer you a Ministry of Benevolence that gives another huge Unity production bonus. I remember this building being quite expensive.
Its 1k for 10 years for 10% unity boost and a relations boost.

It is 3k for the Art Monument. I just didnt know you could get more than one.

It is 5k for something that is a one time building that gives like 10 base unity or something absurd.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I always take imperial perogative because building up planets feels like a big part of the game to me.
Sectors are for planets I conquer from other people, not for stuff I want to play with.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Its 1k for 10 years for 10% unity boost and a relations boost.

It is 3k for the Art Monument. I just didnt know you could get more than one.

It is 5k for something that is a one time building that gives like 10 base unity or something absurd.

Ministry of Culture gives +10 Unity on the tile, +5% Empire unity, and IIRC, a small Governing Ethics Attraction boost to the empire as well

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Taear posted:

I always take imperial perogative because building up planets feels like a big part of the game to me.
Sectors are for planets I conquer from other people, not for stuff I want to play with.

That's what i use it for. Planets i take when federation gets me involved in someones war that i don't actually want

Ms Adequate posted:

Ministry of Culture gives +10 Unity on the tile, +5% Empire unity, and IIRC, a small Governing Ethics Attraction boost to the empire as well

the Real Important part of the ministry in the early game is the newsletter scam, where you pay 500E for 50 influence.

one of the huge reasons i wanna get contact early

Sloober fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 13, 2018

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
e: double post

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ms Adequate posted:

Yes, that, thank you - at work and kinda busy so I couldnt look it up, but also intent enough on slacking enough to post once in a while heheh
The ministry of Culture is insane when you stack tons of Unity buffs on. I generate over 20 Unity from it, I think? Or upper teens?

Sloober posted:

the Real Important part of the ministry in the early game is the newsletter scam, where you pay 500E for 50 influence.

one of the huge reasons i wanna get contact early
edit yeah I love this. I take it every time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also if you can't afford the Ministry of Culture when they offer it, you can buy it at any time later on by contacting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Which was a nice change from a while back, because before if you didn't have the funds then and there you were pretty much SOL.