Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Who was the NSA under Bush in the lead up to Iraq? Did he even matter since Rumsfeld was all in on going to war anyway.

Rice was NSA before she became Secretary of State.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Is Bolton confirmed to be actually getting the job or is this the same rumor from before?

lo-rez
Aug 15, 2000
Arm yourself when the Frog God smiles.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Who was the NSA under Bush in the lead up to Iraq? Did he even matter since Rumsfeld was all in on going to war anyway.

It was Condoleeza Rice for the entirety of Bush's first term.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
So when Sessions finds out he's been fired via the TV in his tree, what are the odds he'll leave as (relatively) quietly as Tillerson?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Feldegast42 posted:

Is Bolton confirmed to be actually getting the job or is this the same rumor from before?

it seems pretty clear McMaster is on his way out but it is less clear Bolton has the job locked down

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Phobic Nest posted:

So when Sessions finds out he's been fired via the TV in his tree, what are the odds he'll leave as (relatively) quietly as Tillerson?

100%

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Bicyclops posted:

Someone put the links to the actual Needle explanations in the OP, TIA

And by "actual" you mean "the posts explaining that the Needle is the herald of a mystical force that chooses our leaders" right?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Phobic Nest posted:

He's too wee to make much noise. Even if he does speak out, it'll be like a tiny kitten trying to look fierce, no one will take it seriously.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phobic Nest posted:

sessions tendered his resignation when it was demanded, rex told trump to gently caress off and made him actually fire him

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

This just reminded me that Maddow will need to update her now billboard sized list.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Feldegast42 posted:

No there’s no confirmation about anything. Bolton is on the list of possible replacements but that’s the extent of what we know. If Mattis and Kelly don’t want him I would have a tough time thinking he’ll get it.

And Trump loves Mattis for what it’s worth. (As much as a temperamental narcissist can love someone that’s is.) His name has never been around any rumors of departing.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 13, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

evilweasel posted:

it only takes a few seconds to stab your eyes out

we won't need eyes to see

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Lumpy posted:

The Needle punished us for our lack of faith.

The Needle punished us for our hubris. Never again will we assume victory over even the most unqualified and loathsome candidates.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Bolton was visiting Trump at the White House one day and that made people hypothesize he was up for a role somewhere.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/ReutersPolitics/status/973631033232056321

gently caress you Chuck.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Next press briefing the reporters better eat SHucks alive because they should be blasting her for the official line on WTF is going on today.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ogmius815 posted:

"Post your map" is a dumb thing that dumb people used to say to shut down those of us who were concerned that Trump might win the election. The idea was supposedly that there was no probable map that would lead to Trump winning. Those of us who pointed out there was reason to worry about Michigan and Wisconsin were told that we were stupid and crazy. We were not.
Okay now this makes a bit more sense, thanks thanks all!

evilmiera posted:

Couldn't we get like, Roose or Ramsay Bolton instead? They seem less likely to get us all horribly killed.
As long as it's not Michael Bolton, that guy sucks!

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Phobic Nest posted:

They need to trick him into saying his name backwards for him to go away.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

what a worthless bitch

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

But what about :decorum:

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

As long as it's not Michael Bolton, that guy sucks!

Okay first of all how dare you

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

mobby_6kl posted:

Speaking of, what's this about? I've seen "post your map" before and know it was some sort of response to Hillary posts during the the '16 election but could never figure out what it was supposed to mean even in context.

The 16 election buildup featured a litany of folks :arzy:ing through D&D, concerned about Trump. "Post your map" became a shorthand for "show your work". Generic angst tended to circle back to Hillarychat which circled back to Primarychat. Which killed the thread for hours. Mapshowing allowed conversation about why the fears were valid or (typically) considered ludicrous.

You can see why it became mockable after the fact.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
How the gently caress is Trump's approval rating not going down?

40.6% approve is like, 101,5 million people. And it´s been an upward trend for months now.

What in the goddamn gently caress is wrong with you people?

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Chuck Schumer is a real weak rear end, who exactly does the Democratic urge to constantly play nice resonate with?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Orange Devil posted:

40.6% approve is like, 101,5 million people. And it´s been an upward trend for months now.

In all fairness that is an unprecedented level of unpopularity for a president in his second year.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Furnaceface posted:

This just reminded me that Maddow will need to update her now billboard sized list.

I wonder if she's reached the point she regrets this gimmick as it takes over her show.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/AGKarlRacine/status/973620021397262337

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Guys, relax, John Bolton isn't getting nominated for anything.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Orange Devil posted:

if you're constantly aghast at the immorality and stupidity of americans, then who is truly the stupid one :thunk:

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Orange Devil posted:

A lot (not all) is people who either don't follow the news at all or only watch Fox News, which will not report anything negative about Trump.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Trump has filled his administration with spineless cowards (trademarked by Covok) who won't say anything no matter how much he abuses them.

If Mattis goes he'll sound a lot like Tilleson did.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

Most people really dont care about Russia, and the elections showed that personal scandals don't go very far either. There's a definite floor for both parties where lifetime dems/republicans simply will shrug off anything that doesn't affect them personally.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

People vote with their pocketbooks and wallets. He'd be in the 20's or lower if the economy sucked.

But as you can see with PA-18, 40% approval ratings don't translate well. At the very least Trump has zero coat tails for Republicans.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

American politics is very much a team sport. Its been one of the weirdest things to witness living next door.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

boner confessor posted:

if you're constantly aghast at the immorality and stupidity of americans, then who is truly the stupid one :thunk:

Hey now. I may be immoral and stupid, but I'm not a loving Trump voter.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Obviously his popularity should be 0.0, but no president has been this unpopular this soon in their term, it literally has never happened.

http://news.gallup.com/poll/226154/trump-first-year-job-approval-worst-points.aspx

Atomic waste would probably get 40% approval in this country.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
On Bolton replacing McMaster, I think Bolton is too much of a hawk on Russia to be the one to replace McMaster

Plus the mustache

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brilliant! You see, when the democrats one day want to get a very leftist candidate confirmed through the senate, the Republicans will remember this day and say to themselves "you know, the democrats heard our candidates out. maybe we should hear their candidates out too." And this will all be worth it. I'm glad our leaders have the wisdom and maturity to know that this type of relationship is built upon nonpartisan action like this. :downs:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What role does the NSA have that the Secretary of Defense doesn’t? I kind of just blend the two together in my mind.

Basically he's the guy whispering in Trump's ear. Sec Def is over in the Pentagon, NSA is in house. Usually the NSA is a security policy wonk though some are also military, and are there day to say to provide insight as needed on policy and diplomacy. SecDef is explicitly part of the military chain of command, though a (generally) a civilian, and oversee DoD matters. They can and do offer guidance to the President but have a much, much broader range of tasks unrelated to advising. Primacy and deference between NSA and Sec Def on security matters depends on the President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Neurolimal posted:

Most people really dont care about Russia, and the elections showed that personal scandals don't go very far either. There's a definite floor for both parties where lifetime dems/republicans simply will shrug off anything that doesn't affect them personally.

So much this.

• Locked thread