Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jonny 290 posted:

i remember it being pretty highly regarded by every music scenester in hot springs and fayetteville back in the early 00's

after that, kinda went poo poo
they paired it with a tech conference in the mid 2000s

some company that "debuted" there went on to become a big big thing (iirc it was twitter) so terrible ideaguy techbro startups swarm there every year hoping lightning strikes twice

e: yep it was twitter
[quote]The tipping point for Twitter's popularity was the 2007 South by Southwest Interactive (SXSWi) conference. During the event, Twitter usage increased from 20,000 tweets per day to 60,000.[32][33] "The Twitter people cleverly placed two 60-inch plasma screens in the conference hallways, exclusively streaming Twitter messages," remarked Newsweek's Steven Levy. "Hundreds of conference-goers kept tabs on each other via constant twitters. Panelists and speakers mentioned the service, and the bloggers in attendance touted it."[34][/quote[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ate all the Oreos posted:

yeah i mean in my case we actually did have tornados occasionally and i've seen them in person in the distance so it was a real tornado drill that's just suspiciously similar to a nuclear attack drill :shrug:
....because we made up nuclear attack drills by saying " if someone actually nukes a place nothing is going to save you, but idk generic disaster sheltering advice might help???"

Xaris posted:

flying cars are much more likely to happen than self-driving cars

flying cars were invented like 60 years ago and marketed ever since, they just kinda suck and are expensive

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rjmccall posted:

red pill is probably just a reference to the matrix, not mra douchebaggery

they are one and the same now and anyone who's ~*very online*~ knows this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fishmech posted:

....because we made up nuclear attack drills by saying " if someone actually nukes a place nothing is going to save you, but idk generic disaster sheltering advice might help???"

IDK, it probably helps the people who were not otherwise vaporized, burned to death, or separated from their dermis by the pressure wave avoid a lot of cuts and scrapes from glass and other debris

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FMguru posted:

they paired it with a tech conference in the mid 2000s

some company that "debuted" there went on to become a big big thing (iirc it was twitter) so terrible ideaguy techbro startups swarm there every year hoping lightning strikes twice

e: yep it was twitter
[quote]The tipping point for Twitter's popularity was the 2007 South by Southwest Interactive (SXSWi) conference. During the event, Twitter usage increased from 20,000 tweets per day to 60,000.[32][33] "The Twitter people cleverly placed two 60-inch plasma screens in the conference hallways, exclusively streaming Twitter messages," remarked Newsweek's Steven Levy. "Hundreds of conference-goers kept tabs on each other via constant twitters. Panelists and speakers mentioned the service, and the bloggers in attendance touted it."[34][/quote[

you're way off.

they added "SXSW Interactive" and "Multimedia" in like 1994 and 1995 which was almost immediately deep tech bullshit especially as the first bubble crested. you had sites like blogger launching just before an sxsw and really talking themselves up at the event itself, with blogger doing that in 1999

twitter wanted to show off at SXSW after going open to the public a while prior precisely because sxsw had already been well known as a place to talk about your internet bullshit, including ev from twitter being one of the big people doing stuff with Blogger back in the 1999 and 2000 SXSWs

heres some fast company article going over the history of all the tech bs at sxsw starting from the mid 90s https://www.fastcompany.com/3026402/oral-history-sex-drugs-apps-and-sxswi

infernal machines posted:

IDK, it probably helps the people who were not otherwise vaporized, burned to death, or separated from their dermis by the pressure wave avoid a lot of cuts and scrapes from glass and other debris
yeah, it never stopped being a useful drill for generic "something might come along and cause things to blow around, collapse, or do both at once" disaster scenarios, which is why it was kept up as a thing for school use and only slowly got renamed back to "tornado drill" or whatev

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

no fishmech clearly nuclear attack would require a totally different procedure and i definitely wasn't just making an obvious reference to the other poster who was talking about nuclear attack drills

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

my bitter bi rival posted:

lol we live in hell

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/LeVostreGC/status/973607328472743937

e: also

https://twitter.com/maxwelltani/status/973665175600496641

FMguru fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 13, 2018

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

hobbesmaster posted:

if by dude you mean doctor and porsche 9/11 you mean beechcraft bonanza then thats already here

I remember in some previous thread something about doctors dying in droves in sports car/plane accidents against the average for everyone else because they know what theyre doing theyre doctors dangit

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Last page, but this wasn't that bad, because you also had to give Clarence or whomever $8/hr to use their hotspot. Of course, this still leaves the fact that BBH Labs thought the best way to help their local homeless people was to give them WiFi to sell to visiting hipsters.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

they are one and the same now and anyone who's ~*very online*~ knows this

yes, if you are the sort of person who thinks the number 14 is always a reference to hitler, you are probably also traumatized by the phrase "red pill"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

elon musk is going to reinvent cracked magazine but somehow it will require the likelihood of a failure mode that kills thousands, just like his other products

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

fishmech posted:

elon musk is going to reinvent cracked magazine but somehow it will require the likelihood of a failure mode that kills thousands, just like his other products

it’s also going to be subsidized by the government on a massive scale, like his other products

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
some sort of injectable comedy podcast made from hypothetical nanomachines

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

Ol' Musky gonna make Clickhole in space

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
ol musky's comedy vacuum tunnel, to be built under branson missouri

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i hope musk dies in space and somehow who isn't just the worst takes over his companies

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

rjmccall posted:

red pill is probably just a reference to the matrix, not mra douchebaggery

por que no los dos

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Tatsujin posted:

I remember in some previous thread something about doctors dying in droves in sports car/plane accidents against the average for everyone else because they know what theyre doing theyre doctors dangit

Dr Strange has the most true to life Marvel backstory

brilliant neurosurgeon so he thinks he walks on water and is good at everything

including driving a sports car at high speed in the rain

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

flying cars were invented like 60 years ago and marketed ever since, they just kinda suck and are expensive

it doesn't matter what you call it -- a flying car is still an aerial vehicle, meaning it's either an airplane or a helicopter, and it has to obey all the same physical laws. you can't just use Machine Learning(tm) to get around the fact that your flying car will need a longer runway on a hot day in the mountains than on a cold day at sea level, or any other of the million things that make air travel more complex than driving

how many people have you seen on the road accidentally cutting off a semi truck on the highway? well in a flying car, even if they don't get pancaked by the 737 going five times their speed, they fly into the larger plane's wake turbulence and get sucked down to the ground at 3000ft/min and everyone dies.

how many people have you seen on the road with a heavy overload in the back, squatting down on the rear suspension? in a flying car the center of gravity imbalance put them in a flat spin and everyone died.

how many people have you seen on the road driving into a heavy snowstorm when they probably shouldn't have? in a flying car their wings and prop iced up and everyone died.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

i wonder if ol' musky plans to launch the writers who started the trend of calling him ol' musky into the sun

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh come on that one's just a car that someone glued a plane to :colbert:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol, i just noticed that the ercoupe ad specifies its range as "450 miles (no wind or reserve)"

FAA requires that all of your fuel calculations account for expected winds and include minimally a 45-minute reserve. gee i wonder why

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I wanna die while flying all those things

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

fishmech posted:

ol musky's comedy vacuum tunnel, to be built under branson missouri