Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Do you think Phinks’s Ripper Cyclotron could rip through Bungee Gum with enough rotations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think bungee gum is infinitely stretchy, because that would probably require some heavy conditions and it doesn't seem like bungee gum has any, really. so yeah, enough force and it would snap but there's nothing stopping hisoka from just adding more aura and he'd have to exert less force than the person breaking it.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
someone mentioned gyro last page and i had COMPLETELY forgotten about that plot thread lmfao this poo poo is quite literally never going to finish is it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Clarste posted:

I took the translation as clear that it was a euphemism for the murder contract.

its a literal ring like in jojo

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Do you think Phinks’s Ripper Cyclotron could rip through Bungee Gum with enough rotations?

There's always the possibility to just overpower Bungee Gum. Even on Greed Island, he had to release a tether he had on the dodgeball because Razor's combined teammate just wouldn't let go and Hisoka presumably couldn't exert enough force to pull it back to himself.

Problem is getting enough cranks and knowing how many is enough.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

tbp posted:

someone mentioned gyro last page and i had COMPLETELY forgotten about that plot thread lmfao this poo poo is quite literally never going to finish is it

Yeah and the narrator made it seem like Gon was gonna meet him/face him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brought To You By posted:

There's always the possibility to just overpower Bungee Gum. Even on Greed Island, he had to release a tether he had on the dodgeball because Razor's combined teammate just wouldn't let go and Hisoka presumably couldn't exert enough force to pull it back to himself.

Problem is getting enough cranks and knowing how many is enough.

Phinks is already stronger then Hisoka physically by default so doing that with Phinks likely won't work Ripper Cyclotron or not.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kild posted:

Yeah and the narrator made it seem like Gon was gonna meet him/face him.

He will

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

but the mans has no nen

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kild posted:

but the mans has no nen

And what does that matter.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

tbp posted:

I feel like whatever new organization Gyro sets up in Meteor City is going to be kind of crappy anyway. To get Nen users besides Hina and Welfin, he'll probably have to recruit from Meteor City, but the Zoldycks, Phantom Troupe, and the Yorknew mafia families have already been recruiting pretty extensively from that pool. Actually, if there were any competent Nen users left in Meteor City, they would have been fighting Zazan's group before Phantom Troupe showed up.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 13, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gon's story is over unless one of the following happens

1. gon pops up on the boat to the dark continent somehow
2. the story cuts away from the succession battle or awesome leorio jungle adventures to focus on gon again
3. togashi releases enough chapters to complete the succession and dark continent arcs and starts a new, gon-centric arc (lol)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I would love it if once the succession war gets buck and engulfs the whole boat like you know it's gonna, it turns out Gon is just kinda there on the ship hanging out with the riffraff

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

And what does that matter.

hows he gonna beat up the strongest chimera ant to ever live with no nen?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kild posted:

hows he gonna beat up the strongest chimera ant to ever live with no nen?

I highly doubt Gyro is going to be the strongest Chimera Ant. I also have a feeling they won't fight.

Given that this ever happens as it can only really happen if we get through the Succession Battle and Dark Continent Arcs.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I highly doubt Gyro is going to be the strongest Chimera Ant. I also have a feeling they won't fight.

Given that this ever happens as it can only really happen if we get through the Succession Battle and Dark Continent Arcs.

while its hxh its still a shonen and its gotta escalate somehow

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gyros gonna give gon his nen back

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kild posted:

while its hxh its still a shonen and its gotta escalate somehow

No it doesn't. Hisoka was one of the most powerful antagonists at the beginning of the series, and he still is.

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!
Gon's going to hang out Kite and birdman Vegeta.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Gyro probably isn't as strong as any of the Royal Guards ...... sounds like a good challenge for a dude who is regaining his Nen................

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Clarste posted:

No it doesn't. Hisoka was one of the most powerful antagonists at the beginning of the series, and he still is.

pitou was stronger

e: and tbh hisoka is closer to an anti-hero than a true antagonist since he's helped the protagonists multiple times and faced them barely once early on and during a handicapped sport match.

Kild fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 14, 2018

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Phinks is already stronger then Hisoka physically by default so doing that with Phinks likely won't work Ripper Cyclotron or not.

If this series has proven anything, it's that being physically stronger doesn't guarantee victory unless you happen to be the apex of a species that assimilates DNA. It's all about matchups and individual tactics so Phinks can beat Hisoka given certain conditions, and vice-versa.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hisoka could probably beat pitou if he had prior knowledge of her

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think hisoka would have had a very good time against any of the royal guard. hisoka's really really good at killing humans, but he's so specialized in that field that he might not be compatible with the weirder poo poo real hunters get up to.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

Outside of getting knocked out of the park, Pitou completely no-sold an attack from Netero's Bodhisattva, among other certain-death poo poo that either didn't really phase her or still didn't kill her. Hisoka is, as noted above, really really good at killing humans but I don't think he had the tools to really beat Pitou.

He could probably frustrate and stall her, which is all most anyone can really hope for against the Royal Guard, but I think he'd have a hard time doing much else.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

Lmao source your quotes

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Hisoka definitely would not have stood a chance against any of the Royal Guard but he also would not be able to resist the opportunity to fight one of them. Which is probably why Togashi kept him out of that arc.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Hisoka would hardcounter Pouf with bungee gum flypaper.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

CharlestonJew posted:

Hisoka definitely would not have stood a chance against any of the Royal Guard but he also would not be able to resist the opportunity to fight one of them. Which is probably why Togashi kept him out of that arc.

I dunnno (wo)man, Hisoka is a nen genius. I wouldn't count him out. I think it was more Togashi wanted to distance Gon from him for a little while.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Hisoka’s strong and has a really good ability but I wouldn’t call him a nen genius like Bisky or Ging.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
I don't think calling Hisoka a nen genius is controversial. I feel like he's proved it. He was killed by Chrollo and on the fly cast a nen spell on himself to bring him back. And that was his only loss in the series. That more than rivals Gon's super sayian transformation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think Hisoka is a nen genius but I do think he's a fighting genius. He isn't doing much with nen in terms of showing amazing nen ability, he's just really goddamn creative in what he does with a fairly limited set of abilities.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Only a genius could realize the power that comes from combining the properties of rubber and gum.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

his (non-canon?) backstory chapter has him as a nen genius

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kild posted:

his (non-canon?) backstory chapter has him as a nen genius

It wasn’t written by Togashi, but I think Togashi said that if he were to write more about Hisoka’s backstory he would stay consistent with it.

Personally I didn’t like that chapter much. It wasn’t an origin story for Hisoka so much as an origin story for his Nen abilities, which really didn’t need it. We already knew that Bungee Gum was based on a brand of gum Hisoka liked as a kid, and Deceitful Texture suits Hisoka’s personality perfectly. Making Deceitful Texture a knockoff of someone else’s Hatsu adds nothing of value, and while Hisoka does have a way of accomplishing things with little apparent effort, making him a Pitou-level Nen prodigy seems excessive.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

It wasn’t written by Togashi, but I think Togashi said that if he were to write more about Hisoka’s backstory he would stay consistent with it.

Personally I didn’t like that chapter much. It wasn’t an origin story for Hisoka so much as an origin story for his Nen abilities, which really didn’t need it. We already knew that Bungee Gum was based on a brand of gum Hisoka liked as a kid, and Deceitful Texture suits Hisoka’s personality perfectly. Making Deceitful Texture a knockoff of someone else’s Hatsu adds nothing of value, and while Hisoka does have a way of accomplishing things with little apparent effort, making him a Pitou-level Nen prodigy seems excessive.

He wasn't a Pitou-level nen prodigy in that chapter, he was a Gon-level prodigy. Or like the 4th Prince in this arc. He picked up the basics really quickly, but he wasn't immediately going toe-to-toe with a master.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Clarste posted:

He wasn't a Pitou-level nen prodigy in that chapter, he was a Gon-level prodigy. Or like the 4th Prince in this arc. He picked up the basics really quickly, but he wasn't immediately going toe-to-toe with a master.

I remember him developing Bungee Gum overnight and Deceitful Texture on the spur of the moment. That's definitely not how Gon's Nen development went.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Silver2195 posted:

I remember him developing Bungee Gum overnight and Deceitful Texture on the spur of the moment. That's definitely not how Gon's Nen development went.

Gon is also significantly dumber than Hisoka. Like as much as people throw around terms like "combat genius" in anime that's just a way to say "this idiot kid is real good at fighting"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I don't recall any indication of him developing Bungee Gum overnight, the implication to me was that he was practicing hatsu in secret (ie: in the bathtub) because he felt the training he was getting was too slow. The whole thing was a montage indicating a significant amount of time passing, iirc. Gon and Killua also managed to get a usable Hatsu in what, a week of training before Greed Island?

As for Texture Surprise, well, it's actually not all that unusual to develop abilities on the spur of the moment. Like, even Cheetu managed to do so (the crossbow). It just requires you have a good handling of the basics, and probably won't be especially powerful. But a texture doesn't need to be powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brought To You By posted:

If this series has proven anything, it's that being physically stronger doesn't guarantee victory unless you happen to be the apex of a species that assimilates DNA. It's all about matchups and individual tactics so Phinks can beat Hisoka given certain conditions, and vice-versa.

Oh I think for sure he could beat Phinks. Just don't think a physical contest or trying to pull him around with Bungee Gum is the way to do so.