Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

imagine her horror when her dumb rear end finds out she could've just done it all on her phone, like what everybody else does with literally everything else disney and not disney these days.

E: why am I always at the top of a page when I'm being blunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

santanotreal posted:

It’s one thing to be unprepared outright for Disney as a random guest who’s never gone before, but you’d think someone planning on writing an article about Disney would know to plan a bit in advance?

Maybe, but Editors are a fickle bunch. She probably found out she was going a couple days prior.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The NYT reporters are pretty solid, but the editorial board is a laughing stock in the industry for a reason.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Bottom Liner posted:

The NYT reporters are pretty solid, but the editorial board is a laughing stock in the industry for a reason.

I don't think the editorial board is in charge of the lifestyle stories.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

nimper posted:

I don't think the editorial board is in charge of the lifestyle stories.

Ah you're right. I saw someone mention editors and assumed it was an editorial.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I can sort of understand the logic behind trying to write a story from the perspective of someone unfamiliar with the parks and going their first time.
That said, with the enormous cost associated with making a trip these days, I would assume most people would have the common sense to do some research or book through Disney and get bombarded with packets telling you what to expect and what days to do what.
Much like buying a house or a car, there's a certain level of due diligence for the buyer. If you're dropping several grand to take your family of 5 on a 4 day trip, you should be familiar with what that money is going towards.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

My buddy and his girlfriend are at Disney as we speak. About 2 weeks ago, he told me when he was going, and I asked him if he had set up his fastpass and restaurant reservations. He looked at my like I was insane. He had no idea what fastpass was, and told me he would call for dining reservations the morning of, each day. I tried to explain to him that he is going to ruin his trip by not doing any planning in advance, but he laughed it off. I can't wait to talk to him about it when he gets back.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

couldcareless posted:

I can sort of understand the logic behind trying to write a story from the perspective of someone unfamiliar with the parks and going their first time.
That said, with the enormous cost associated with making a trip these days, I would assume most people would have the common sense to do some research or book through Disney and get bombarded with packets telling you what to expect and what days to do what.
Much like buying a house or a car, there's a certain level of due diligence for the buyer. If you're dropping several grand to take your family of 5 on a 4 day trip, you should be familiar with what that money is going towards.

Imagine the type of consumer who would book a trip at that price point and not do a ton of planning because the price point is not that big of a deal to them. This is the type of consumer who has the money to come back a lot if they have a good experience but will assuredly have a mediocre experience because they didn't plan or even know they should plan. Then think about those of us who know the level of planning required and wish that it weren't.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A lot of people just don’t care tbh. But a lot of stuff with Disney is so rear end backwards that I don’t blame people. You still can’t get e tickets. Until last June you couldn’t buy a Disney gift card online. You still can’t use more than two payments for tickets.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Dren posted:

Imagine the type of consumer who would book a trip at that price point and not do a ton of planning because the price point is not that big of a deal to them. This is the type of consumer who has the money to come back a lot if they have a good experience but will assuredly have a mediocre experience because they didn't plan or even know they should plan. Then think about those of us who know the level of planning required and wish that it weren't.

If the cost of booking doesn't even make you bat an eye, you have the money to splurge on a VIP tour and not care about planning ahead.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
There is absolutely no way I would've known how to do Disney correctly if I didn't have my hand held by my s/o the first time we went together. It was really overwhelming at first.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Empress Brosephine posted:

A lot of people just don’t care tbh. But a lot of stuff with Disney is so rear end backwards that I don’t blame people. You still can’t get e tickets. Until last June you couldn’t buy a Disney gift card online. You still can’t use more than two payments for tickets.

You can't get e-tickets but you can get Will Call. So you can buy a ticket online and then either link it to your MDX (if you have one) or pick up your ticket card at Will Call. You don't HAVE to stand in a box office line.

This part really stood out to me:

quote:

My experience, instead: 30 minutes of waiting in line at guest services to try to give them money because the box office was closed; giving up and moving to another guest relations line just inside the park; and encountering an aghast attendant who demanded I rat out the name of the “cast member” who had let me onto park grounds (I didn’t) and then refused to speak to me until I went back outside the entrance to the slow-moving line I had just left. I opted to not wait around again to spend $120 to go to another park and possibly get yelled at again.

So you sneaked into a park and you're surprised someone had something to say about that? Really?

Reading that cruise review, I get annoyed by people who are like, offended by everything Disney and yet still go to Disney or on a Disney cruise and are still offended by everything Disney. And also, why are you dumb and book a makeover for your kid when you know you're going to go swimming after? What a waste of $200.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 7, 2018

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Braksgirl posted:

Reading that cruise review, I get annoyed by people who are like, offended by everything Disney and yet still go to Disney or on a Disney cruise and are still offended by everything Disney. And also, why are you dumb and book a makeover for your kid when you know you're going to go swimming after? What a waste of $200.

also they didn't seem to have gone to any of the live shows except the magician which is really weird, the live shows are amazing

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Those live shows on the cruise are basically a Broadway show a night included in your cruise fare. They are fantastic and arguably better than anything you'd even find in the parks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

couldcareless posted:

Those live shows on the cruise are basically a Broadway show a night included in your cruise fare. They are fantastic and arguably better than anything you'd even find in the parks.

100% agreed. The food and the shows stand out as some of the best offerings from Disney as a whole. The Golden Mickeys and Villains tonight were especially awesome.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Bottom Liner posted:

100% agreed. The food and the shows stand out as some of the best offerings from Disney as a whole. The Golden Mickeys and Villains tonight were especially awesome.

Now if only they started offering cruises on land...

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Bottom Liner posted:

I still have dreams about that dinner at Palo

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

New flyover footage of Galaxy's Edge released from Disney
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWz-2p83shY

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tim Whatley posted:

New flyover footage of Galaxy's Edge released from Disney
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWz-2p83shY

Looks like the Wookiee planet :woop:

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Braksgirl posted:

You can't get e-tickets but you can get Will Call. So you can buy a ticket online and then either link it to your MDX (if you have one) or pick up your ticket card at Will Call. You don't HAVE to stand in a box office line.

This part really stood out to me:

So you sneaked into a park and you're surprised someone had something to say about that? Really?

I rolled my eyes so hard when I realized at the start of that last full day - booking a make over AND swimming? What a dumb gently caress. Even if it were $50 and not $200 - why would you think to do that right before going swimming in the ocean?

When I was picking up the Hoop Dee Doo tix last month, the grandma and granddaughter next to me were setting up their tickets and fast passes for their trip at concierge, and obviously had no idea about what was even happening. Grandma was barking at the bored 12 year old whilst doing the same at the very nice CM who was trying to find any available FP for them that day. They had flown in from Canada - so I would assume this wasn’t a spur of the moment trip, but jeeze lady, plan a little ahead of time. I was trying to convince the kid that the non thrill rides were still awesome in order to help grandma out - but man, it reminds me of so many people I can think of who just wander down for the heck of it and then get overwhelmed.

PikachuMan
Nov 4, 2009
long time lurker here. Just got back from my first disney world trip as an adult, and it was great. Big thanks to the OP and this thread.

I wish I spent a fastpass+ on Turtle Talk though. That one constantly showed a 5-15 minute wait time in the app, so I though standby would be fine. Wrong, big crowd, did not get into the first show. Fastpass+ users came in, the tiny waiting room got way too crowded for me and I ended bailing.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

PikachuMan posted:

long time lurker here. Just got back from my first disney world trip as an adult, and it was great. Big thanks to the OP and this thread.

I wish I spent a fastpass+ on Turtle Talk though. That one constantly showed a 5-15 minute wait time in the app, so I though standby would be fine. Wrong, big crowd, did not get into the first show. Fastpass+ users came in, the tiny waiting room got way too crowded for me and I ended bailing.

That's crazy, the last few times I've been I've walked into an almost empty turtle talk waiting area and ended up sitting in the front row. Crush even called on me. I consider it not worth spending a fastpass on though when I use all 3 fastpasses turtle talk is always an option for the bonus fastpass. Actually, come to think of it we used the bonus fastpass on it, walked over and saw no one there, then switched the fastpass to something else.

Sorry you missed it!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dren posted:

That's crazy, the last few times I've been I've walked into an almost empty turtle talk waiting area and ended up sitting in the front row. Crush even called on me. I consider it not worth spending a fastpass on though when I use all 3 fastpasses turtle talk is always an option for the bonus fastpass. Actually, come to think of it we used the bonus fastpass on it, walked over and saw no one there, then switched the fastpass to something else.

Sorry you missed it!

It's weird. I've found literally dead TTWC and I've found ones so jam packed that the waiting area barely had enough room to breathe in it. I've been called on by Crush, too, and asked a pretty out there question about sea turtles - and of course he knew it. TTWC is great stuff.

I've only fp'd it once but I've always been able to just walk on in.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Turtle Talk is not worth it anyway.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zero One posted:

I can see where an adult wouldn't be into it, for sure. For kids and those that want to chill with a kid's show, it's A+ stuff.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Zero One posted:

This is a wrong opinion

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I was blown away the first time I saw Turtle Talk

Though I think I was like 22 at the time so ymmv.

I enjoyed it less at 32.

I still really enjoy Laugh Floor, though they re-use too many jokes for how often I see it (my fault). And did not use my amazing suggestions for the "name a country and Ill name the capital" joke. Usually I shout "Chad" and they pick it, but clearly "Djibouti" doesn't work for the structure of the joke, even though its a much funnier country name than Chad

Either way, I think the technology in both is fantastic and super fun

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Turtle Talk is either the most boring attraction or the best, and it's completely dependent on whether you get lucky and get a Kids Say the Darndest Things moment.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Has anyone been to any of the non-US Disney parks? I was thinking of loosely working out my 2019 vacation plans. A trip to Japan with a focus on Tokyo Disney sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Tokyo Disney Sea owns.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

How are the parks in mid-May? Looks like the value hotels are sold out and the cheapest room is 263 a night (Port Orleans). High demand or am I just trying to book way too late?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Virtue posted:

How are the parks in mid-May? Looks like the value hotels are sold out and the cheapest room is 263 a night (Port Orleans). High demand or am I just trying to book way too late?

Depending how late in May, schools will be letting out so crowds will be increasing. End of May is also Memorial Day weekend, which is usually busy. Early to mid May crowds shouldn’t be too bad though.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

santanotreal posted:

Depending how late in May, schools will be letting out so crowds will be increasing. End of May is also Memorial Day weekend, which is usually busy. Early to mid May crowds shouldn’t be too bad though.

I was looking at second week of May but the booked value hotels do not inspire confidence. Is 263 a night a fair price these days? Not sure how applicable the prices listed in the OP are.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Chainclaw posted:

Has anyone been to any of the non-US Disney parks? I was thinking of loosely working out my 2019 vacation plans. A trip to Japan with a focus on Tokyo Disney sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

A guy in my org took off a month and did a bunch of traveling including hitting all the Disney parks around the world. He can back and gave an hour long PowerPoint presentation about the trip. So jealous.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

tomapot posted:

A guy in my org took off a month and did a bunch of traveling including hitting all the Disney parks around the world. He can back and gave an hour long PowerPoint presentation about the trip. So jealous.

That sounds like an amazing PP presentation - any interesting things he experienced that stuck with you?

May Parks -I've been there at the beginning of May and it was nice, didn't seem super crazy but it was definitely 90+F out. I was at AKL, so not sure what the price points are for early may- shouldn't be peak season just yet.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Early may can be recent graduates. Seniors st high schools around me wrap up late April and will do some sort of graduation trip such as a cruise or Disney trip. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what you're seeing.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Chainclaw posted:

Well I'm going to be hitting Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea at the end of April, so I'll make sure to post about it :D

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Well, they finally did it, they removed the guac at Pecos Bills. $2 charge for a cup now. Disney 😡

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Icedude posted:

Well I'm going to be hitting Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea at the end of April, so I'll make sure to post about it :D

I live in Tokyo. If you want to meet up and grab dinner some night, PM me. I know a few good places near Ikebukuro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Bottom Liner posted:

Well, they finally did it, they removed the guac at Pecos Bills. $2 charge for a cup now. Disney 😡

So what are the odds that this was spurred on by something dumb like a disboards post saying "disney food hacks: bring in a bag of corn chips and make your own nachos at pecos bill toppings bar!"