Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

ANNUL IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

The hell is going on.

It is kiwihalt all over again.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

That attribute roll.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/sab669/characters

Suggestions on where to go from here on AmbroseTheDonkey with regards to Passives?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

I'm so goddamn tempted. I got 1 annul that I've looted so far and every time I open up my currency window it sits there, looking at me.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

do not annul it

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Awesome! posted:

do annul it

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Awesome! posted:

do Vaal it

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

Is anyone here using any of the beast sets in their builds?

Was think about those crab barriers and it looks like if you have the boots/chest/helmet you don't ever go below 10 barriers which is a permanent 20% phys damage reduction, 8% block and stun immunity which seems pretty great but maybe lessened in the shadow of new jugg. The spider one also seems strong but I don't know how to best make use of it.
Have you looked at the leaderboards? The carapace is used by a lot of jugs.
http://poe.ninja/builds?item=Craiceann%27s%20Carapace

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Bugsy posted:

The hell is going on.

It is kiwihalt all over again.

Lol if I had +2555 to max Zombies I wouldn't go around telling people I'd just beat the game..

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yeah I sold a crab chest for 220c a day or two ago on BHC

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i cant even sustain t10s right now. i dont know what the gently caress is going on but it really sucks being 91 stuck in 8s and 9s when i have already done 14s and 15s on this character. ive never had close to this much trouble with maps before

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Filthy Monkey posted:

That's badass but like drat how much phys damage mitigation do ya need lol

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

That's badass but like drat how much phys damage mitigation do ya need lol
Helps deal with the abyssus increased physical damage taken. The bonus is strong when combined with an offhand shaped stat stick to scale the damage too.

I kind of don't like the whole shaped " x% of physical as extra" stat stick thing. It feels like any build that can use them is in a different league than builds that can't.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I wonder how much an Obscurantis with the 40% increased Spectral Shield Throw Damage enchant would cost.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

TheRat posted:

If you provide me with a character name, I might be able to provide you with an invite!

Charname Noooooopoe. I know I'm a whiny bitch ty anyways.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Awesome! posted:

i cant even sustain t10s right now. i dont know what the gently caress is going on but it really sucks being 91 stuck in 8s and 9s when i have already done 14s and 15s on this character. ive never had close to this much trouble with maps before

I've run all the T7's I had from finishing T6 maps.. all three of them. Not a single other T7 drop to be had. I got one T8 which I'll run tonight and if I don't get lucky I'll be hitting all the bordering T6's trying to get more T7's. I'm running just barely in the negative on Alchemy sustain too, slowly dropping one every 3 or 4 maps, and I'll I'm doing is a single alch to each map and running it no matter what mods it gets because I can't afford to be scouring and re-alching.

It's a lot different than last league, which is my only other experience with mapping/leagues.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Get your Zana levelled asap. She is an excellent source of T3-9 maps to fill out your atlas. This means you should chase elder influence around for memory fragments, and (ugh) doing dailies with pubbies.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Phobophilia posted:

Get your Zana levelled asap. She is an excellent source of T3-9 maps to fill out your atlas. This means you should chase elder influence around for memory fragments, and (ugh) doing dailies with pubbies.

Leveling her as fast as I can, haven't passed up or failed one of her missions yet and am of course doing the dailies, so not sure what else I can do. Pretty sure that at least one of the 7's I already ran was from buying it from her, I buy whatever she has when she restocks.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
Can someone explain how to get Elder influence on my maps? The wiki says I need to clear a tier 6+ elder influenced map, which I've done several times. However I'm not getting any elder influence.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
You need to clear Shaper maps in order for the Elder's influence to grow. Once it's ~20 maps big, he and his 4 guardians will occupy maps, replacing those maps' boss.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm not sure what the question is.

Elder influence are the tentacles around maps that start appearing after you clear a few Shaper influenced maps, which are the ones surrounded by drifting stars. You grow influence by completing maps next to influenced maps, and remove influence by completing the influenced maps.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Awesome! posted:

I setup my atlas with shaped t9 and t10, with about 85 atlas bonus since all I wanted to do was farm shaped t10s till later. With just alch and go, I've played enough maps to level gems to 20 almost twice and I've never had more than 8 shaped T10s in my stash. It's always been really, really sketchy and I've had to fall back to my T9s to rebuild my T10 pool many times, and I've never had many T9s while doing this either. However this is without any elder/shaper influence, since the first elder to spawn on my atlas spawned on a red map for some reason and I only just now was able to kill him and unfuck my atlas. Currently working on getting him to spawn in the region I want where my shaped maps are to hopefully get the elder/shaper influence flip flop going on my shaped maps which should hopefully make the sustain less sketchy. But it seems like elder/shaper influence is more important now than ever for map sustain since the league mechanic isn't contributing anything to sustain (lol)

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Legacyspy posted:

The wiki says I need to clear a tier 6+ elder influenced map

this is how you unlock elder influence in the first place, by completing any tier 6+ shaper influenced map. then elder influence starts appearing, and you need to leave that alone to let it grow and eventually turn into bosses.

speaking of which, i just spent like thirty maps playing whack a mole with shaper influence only to have the elder spawn in a tier 9 map i don't have any copies of yet :sweatdrop:

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

I'm not sure what the question is.

Elder influence are the tentacles around maps that start appearing after you clear a few Shaper influenced maps, which are the ones surrounded by drifting stars. You grow influence by completing maps next to influenced maps, and remove influence by completing the influenced maps.

Ah sorry, I meant to say I've been clearing Shaper maps (the stars). No Elder yet maps. I guess I'll do more.

Edit: Figured it out.

I had to clear specifically a tier 6 to get the first memory fragment. I had been doing higher tiers of shaper maps because I'm in standard and already had those unlocked. As soon as I did a tier 6 one and turned in the memory fragment the elder influence spawned.

Legacyspy fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 14, 2018

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Legacyspy posted:

because I'm in standard

this might be the first league where this makes sense

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
nvm

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How do I make money in this game when I don't get poo poo for drops and all the gear for my build costs multiple exalts, limiting the content I can do? Like, I legit don't understand how to progress past white maps since I can't get Chaos Orbs to save my life and have no idea what's valuable and what's vendor trash.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
One good thing to do is trade up lower currency for chaos. Jewelers and fusings are good for that, you should have a bunch of jewelers from picking up and vendoring six socket items. Also what build are you running?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

QuantaStarFire posted:

How do I make money in this game when I don't get poo poo for drops and all the gear for my build costs multiple exalts, limiting the content I can do? Like, I legit don't understand how to progress past white maps since I can't get Chaos Orbs to save my life and have no idea what's valuable and what's vendor trash.

Small guide
Step 1
First thing you need to do is install a good loot filter. I recommend my custom version of neversink for entry level mapping that you can find here:

http://www.filterblade.xyz/#zTGpLIiYj1sr

Rares with green borders are good bases
Rares with blue borders are decent bases

I have filtered out most bad bases and things I do not feel a beginner should waste time picking up. Normally, you should finish a map without having a full inventory. This can change sometimes depending on hitting jackpots, or getting many 6sockets and such.

Step 2
Learning how to price things is quite an in-depth thing, but there are easy places to start. Uniques are mostly easy to price because you can always look them up on https://www.pathofexile.com/trade . Just make sure you're aware that a badly rolled unique could be vendor trash while a great roll of the same unique could be worth a lot. Rares are more tricky, but an easy place to start is to look for high life and resists. Items with 80+ life and 2x30+ resists are almost always worth at least a chaos or two. For boots, adding in good move speed (20+) adds a lot of value. For gloves, attackspeed adds value. For rings and amulets it's a lot more tricky but high life + lots of offensive stats will usually be worth something. For weapons, high total physical or elemental dps is what you look for in attackbased weapons, usually combined with either local crit% or local attackspeed. Caster weapons normally want spell damage, spell crit%, crit multi and added damage to spells and so on. Shaper and Elder items are a massive piñata that comes later when you're more comfortable looking things up.

Step 3
Running maps. You need to find what tier of map you can run without dying or slowing down and just run it as much as possible. If you can run a tier 4 map in 5 minutes without dying, and a tier 8 map in 10 minutes and die once, the tier 4 map is much more efficient use of your time. If a map becomes too easy, move up a tier. Next tier feeling too hard? Try a different map of that tier or move down again. Learn what map mods are bad for your build and try to avoid them.

Step 4
Liquidating your random poo poo. There's a LOT of money to be made from liquidating random poo poo you dont really use. If you spend a few hours mapping you should be able to build up 100-200 jeweller orbs just from 6 socket drops. That turns into 50 fuses which you can sell for 20+ chaos. If you dont feel comfortable using sextants, those sell for 1c+ each. Screaming+ essences are usually worth at least a chaos, depending on the type. If you're running low level maps and have no interest in chiselling, chisels are easily sold for a decent chunk

Edited Step 5
It's better to list too many things than too few things. If you think something might be worth a couple of chaos throw it in a tab and list it. If it doesn't sell, nobody gets hurt. You can always lower prices progressively as things sit without selling.

---------------

I've probably forgotten a lot of poo poo which I may or may not add in this post or in later posts

TheRat fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 14, 2018

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

TheRat posted:

Small guide
Step 1
First thing you need to do is install a good loot filter. I recommend my custom version of neversink for entry level mapping that you can find here:

http://www.filterblade.xyz/#zTGpLIiYj1sr

Rares with green borders are good bases
Rares with blue borders are decent bases

I have filtered out most bad bases and things I do not feel a beginner should waste time picking up. Normally, you should finish a map without having a full inventory. This can change sometimes depending on hitting jackpots, or getting many 6sockets and such.

Step 2
Learning how to price things is quite an in-depth thing, but there are easy places to start. Uniques are mostly easy to price because you can always look them up on https://www.pathofexile.com/trade . Just make sure you're aware that a badly rolled unique could be vendor trash while a great roll of the same unique could be worth a lot. Rares are more tricky, but an easy place to start is to look for high life and resists. Items with 80+ life and 2x30+ resists are almost always worth at least a chaos or two. For boots, adding in good move speed (20+) adds a lot of value. For gloves, attackspeed adds value. For rings and amulets it's a lot more tricky but high life + lots of offensive stats will usually be worth something. For weapons, high total physical or elemental dps is what you look for in attackbased weapons, usually combined with either local crit% or local attackspeed. Caster weapons normally want spell damage, spell crit%, crit multi and added damage to spells and so on. Shaper and Elder items are a massive piñata that comes later when you're more comfortable looking things up.

Step 3
Running maps. You need to find what tier of map you can run without dying or slowing down and just run it as much as possible. If you can run a tier 4 map in 5 minutes without dying, and a tier 8 map in 10 minutes and die once, the tier 4 map is much more efficient use of your time. If a map becomes too easy, move up a tier. Next tier feeling too hard? Try a different map of that tier or move down again. Learn what map mods are bad for your build and try to avoid them.

Step 4
Liquidating your random poo poo. There's a LOT of money to be made from liquidating random poo poo you dont really use. If you spend a few hours mapping you should be able to build up 100-200 jeweller orbs just from 6 socket drops. That turns into 50 fuses which you can sell for 20+ chaos. If you dont feel comfortable using sextants, those sell for 1c+ each. Screaming+ essences are usually worth at least a chaos, depending on the type. If you're running low level maps and have no interest in chiselling, chisels are easily sold for a decent chunk

Edited Step 5
It's better to list too many things than too few things. If you think something might be worth a couple of chaos throw it in a tab and list it. If it doesn't sell, nobody gets hurt. You can always lower prices progressively as things sit without selling.

---------------

I've probably forgotten a lot of poo poo which I may or may not add in this post or in later posts

Just curious...if I wanted your filter but, say, include chrome items and lovely currency (scrolls and transmutes and stuff) how would I go about that?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Just curious...if I wanted your filter but, say, include chrome items and lovely currency (scrolls and transmutes and stuff) how would I go about that?

This filter includes scrolls and chromes. It's extremely forgiving. If you wanted to edit in/out something, click on the customise tab and scroll down to currency. You can show/hide entire categories, or move items between categories.

Edit: For reference, here's the filter I'm currently using which is a lot more strict (but it hasn't gone full retard yet, that's a week or two away): http://www.filterblade.xyz/#N4Puk85Aa6ts

TheRat fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 14, 2018

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

silvergoose posted:

customize, vendor recipies, turn on show for endgame small 2x2 and 1x3 if you're looking for chromes but dont want to waste like, huge inventory on a 2h wep worth a chrome.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Be aware there are price fixing "scams" on some items like popular cards.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm at the point where I can do yellow maps in the T6-8 range. Should I just do these as magic maps to push through the atlas and do the bonus once I have a decent supply of Chaos Orbs, or is it better to get the bonus out of the way?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
^^^ do the bonus asap unless you have real trouble killing the boss

btw there is a Step 0: chose a build that costs no money while still clearing yellow maps

which means either a minion herder, a spell caster using a non-poo poo spell, or an attacker using a cheap unique weapon using a non-poo poo attack

yes you can play your hipster selfmade poo poo, it's fun and I do it myself, but it will cost more or just barely clear whites

Goa Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 14, 2018

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I feel like while all of that is good advice, the correct answer is "Don't play a build where all the gear costs multiple exalts"

I'm clearing most yellow maps very easily on a budget Saboteur build. I had maybe 15C when I beat Kitava, which I spent capping my resists. From there I've just been running maps, using the Chaos and Regal vendor recipes.

Despite having a 1 chaos buyout tab and 2C tab almost full, I rarely sell anything. Well, I liquidated a lot if my Alterations, Vaals, and Chromatics too.

That said, I did get lucky and found an almost perfect pair of Kaom's roots that I sold for 20C, a Divination card for Atxiri's Disfavor that I sold for about 35C. I used this currency to buy 20% level 19 gems and a bad 6-link.

Now that I have a 6L I'll probably start selling my Fusings, too.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 14, 2018

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

QuantaStarFire posted:

I'm at the point where I can do yellow maps in the T6-8 range. Should I just do these as magic maps to push through the atlas and do the bonus once I have a decent supply of Chaos Orbs, or is it better to get the bonus out of the way?

Get the bonus cleared then run maps as magic is my advice. Once your build is strong enough that you can run most map mods without having to reroll them you should consider running them all rare.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Doing the chaos recipe (sell an item for every gear slot with ilvl 60+ at the same time for 1c, or 2c if they're unided) is also a good way to get some early chaos.

You can use that to buy 1c items with life and resists that should let you safely run maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Goa Tse-tung posted:

btw there is a Step 0: chose a build that costs no money while still clearing yellow maps

which means either a minion herder, a spell caster using a non-poo poo spell, or an attacker using a cheap unique weapon using a non-poo poo attack

Sab669 posted:

I feel like while all of that is good advice, the correct answer is "Don't play a build where all the gear costs multiple exalts"

I ended up switching from a Heavy Strike build to Molten Strike after the 1st week because I got lucky and got an Oni-Goroshi after casually farming for it for a few days, and it's basically carried me all the way to yellow maps. During the interim, apparently Juggernaut builds have absolutely exploded in popularity, and now all the core gear has jumped from 20+ chaos per piece to 1+ exalts each. But I couldn't have known that when I started. Or maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, I don't know. I'm mostly just trying to make sure that I'm using my time wisely.

I got lucky and got a Jeweller's Touch prophecy though. That netted me an easy 30 chaos. Not sure what I can do with it atm though.