Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Does anyone know the story about that instagram? I ask because that's Marble so it's presumably somewhere in Europe if not Manchester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Mr. Squishy posted:

Does anyone know the story about that instagram? I ask because that's Marble so it's presumably somewhere in Europe if not Manchester.

yeah, the Manchester one. i'm sure they know the behavior, but were startled to see if coming from humans

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

poop dood posted:

holy god dude i fully relate

The new Triple Crossing releases are pretty nice. Haven't had this batch of the coconut coffee stout they released though. Also at work we just put on a keg of Commonwealth Man and there's a keg of Veil's dry-hopped Coalesce pils behind that. I'm moving to Atlanta in June and I think I'm really gonna miss the beer around here. Is there a good NE IPA brewery in the area there? Creature Comforts makes some cool stuff but their IPAs don't really scratch that particular itch for me.

I picked up Veils Child Support Pills and IdontwanttobeU3 ... Enjoyed the pils, the ID3 was a bit too imbalanced even for Veil.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Child Support is decent-to-great depending on the hops used. IDBU3 I haven't tried but it sounded like too much.

Speaking of too much, they're releasing two triple-fruited goses this week, one passionfruit and one triple berry. They are -- drumroll -- $26 per 4 pack. If you'll look at the pics on Instagram you'll see that they are just fruit puree cut with cheap, bland gose. People on Facebook are already reporting that the fruit puree and lactose Berliner from two weeks ago is erupting when opened, even after being kept refrigerated. This dumbass puree sour bubble is gonna pop sometime soon, I hope.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

i drank a bunch of beer at Hunahpu's Day. don't really remember any that stood out. they all just taste like loving beer at this point. the only beer i got twice was the Mexican lager from Hercules. i tried the BA imperial german chocolate cake from angry chair and it was horrific. i think that was the only stout i had

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Stop putting fruit puree in bad beers, is a good idea.

I had a few fun beers from otherwise pretty mediocre Black Lodge recently. A tea, toast and jam bitter, a nice dryness from the tea, just a hint of what was probably dried raspberries at the end, and an orange peel NE ipa which was pretty restrained and great.

I really want their beer to be consistently good, because themeing an entire bar/brewery around Twin Peaks is cool.

Apache
May 11, 2004

nah posted:

i drank a bunch of beer at Hunahpu's Day. don't really remember any that stood out. they all just taste like loving beer at this point. the only beer i got twice was the Mexican lager from Hercules. i tried the BA imperial german chocolate cake from angry chair and it was horrific. i think that was the only stout i had

Veil's donteverwannaBU was pretty good. Triple Crossings Cryo Nectar was pretty good too. Lots of adjunct imperial stouts kind of blurred together after a while. Pohjala had an Islay barrel one that stood out.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

nah posted:

Yeah the chocolate cake from AC was not that great. The Popinski was much better IMO, and I haven't liked Popinski treatments in the past. The best beer of the fest I had was Bottle Logic's blueberry Berliner, that thing was off the hook good. Second best was Kane's Night to End All Dawns Coconut, was nice to have an BA adjunct stout that wasn't super sweet or overly flavored.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Did CCB make the Skittles Berliner again cause that was my favorite thing when I went to Huna Day

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Any recommendations for decent beer in Indianapolis? A buddy is there and just as clueless as I am about it (as far as Indiana breweries go, I know Three Floyds and then, um, yeah.)

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Real Name Grover posted:

Any recommendations for decent beer in Indianapolis? A buddy is there and just as clueless as I am about it (as far as Indiana breweries go, I know Three Floyds and then, um, yeah.)

The Koelschip.
Central State is one of my favorites. I don't live in Indy and only go rarely so I can't help you find hyper local stuff tho haha

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

I'm going to be in Atlanta for a couple days next month and I'd like to pick up some Creature Comforts cans to take home. Am I going to be able to find their lineup at pretty much any grocery store, or am I going to have to visit a place that specializes in craft beer? Mostly interested in Tropicalia and some of their limited release IPAs. I'll be staying in midtown, over near Piedmont park. Not going to be able to get to Athens, so that's out.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

ChiTownEddie posted:

The Koelschip.
Central State is one of my favorites. I don't live in Indy and only go rarely so I can't help you find hyper local stuff tho haha

Cheers, thanks!

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Mr. Clark2 posted:

I'm going to be in Atlanta for a couple days next month and I'd like to pick up some Creature Comforts cans to take home. Am I going to be able to find their lineup at pretty much any grocery store, or am I going to have to visit a place that specializes in craft beer? Mostly interested in Tropicalia and some of their limited release IPAs. I'll be staying in midtown, over near Piedmont park. Not going to be able to get to Athens, so that's out.

I moved from Atlanta last summer, so this info might not be up to date, but standard Creature Comforts stuff is available just about everywhere, including grocery stores. The big caveat is that Tropicalia cans are always really hard to find. There's such a huge demand for it, and most of their Tropicalia production goes out in kegs to bars and restaurants in the region. So it might be hard to track it down.

I'd suggest calling the two Hop City locations to see if they have it in stock, both should be relatively easy to get to from midtown. Any limited release stuff should be generally available at the bigger beer shops, like Hop City, Ale Yeah, etc.

And since you're staying near Piedmont Park, stop into Orpheus if you have the time, they're right on the northern edge of the park and have a solid lineup.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Apache posted:

Veil's donteverwannaBU was pretty good.

I had that at Brews for New Avenues and it tasted like chewing on a mouthful of raw hop pellets. Do they make a version that isn't so bitter?

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Not usually into fruit beer much but I went hunting for a sour and ended up picking up a bottle of Passion Weisse from Night Shift. I'm sure it's not the best indicator of the style as the passionfruit is a bit overwhelming, but drat, I love it.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

consensual poster posted:

I had that at Brews for New Avenues and it tasted like chewing on a mouthful of raw hop pellets. Do they make a version that isn't so bitter?

their dry-hopping rate is insane- like 8lbs+ per bbl- so i think a lot of their beers are actually way better three or four weeks later. i drank a Fake Love the other day and immediately wanted another even though i am Not An IPA Guy

poop dood posted:

Speaking of too much, they're releasing two triple-fruited goses this week, one passionfruit and one triple berry. They are -- drumroll -- $26 per 4 pack. If you'll look at the pics on Instagram you'll see that they are just fruit puree cut with cheap, bland gose. People on Facebook are already reporting that the fruit puree and lactose Berliner from two weeks ago is erupting when opened, even after being kept refrigerated. This dumbass puree sour bubble is gonna pop sometime soon, I hope.

i just don't see the point of taking the time and effort to kettle sour a beer when you're going to steamroll it with all that other stuff, and having to issue instructions along with your beer, well...

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

funkybottoms posted:

their dry-hopping rate is insane- like 8lbs+ per bbl- so i think a lot of their beers are actually way better three or four weeks later. i drank a Fake Love the other day and immediately wanted another even though i am Not An IPA Guy

I thought I was the only one who felt this way. A lot of Veils IPAs taste way too green to me. Everyone I know loves to drink them super fresh and I’m almost always underwhelmed. I thought White Bugatti was loving terrible and everyone loved that beer. I think I gave that beer it’s lowest rating on untappd.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

most people i know- and that obviously includes many industry folks- feel the same way.

the last bath of White Ferrari was weird and vegetal as gently caress- i thought it tasted like canned peas and a coworker got olive oil and garlic

i would gladly drink myself sick on Hornswoggler, though

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

poop dood posted:

This dumbass puree sour bubble is gonna pop sometime soon, I hope.

We've spent the last few years with every new hyped beer style being sweeter than what came before it. IPA evolved into the New England "Juicy" IPA which has branched into "milkshake IPAs". Barrel aged stouts started with things like coffee and cocoa and now are just tons of flavoring piled into a stout base. Sours are being filled to the brim with fruit puree and are coming out tropical colors.

Perhaps someday the "more sweet = more hype" train will die out but it's been doing nothing but growing thus far. People seem to really loving like their beer tasting like sweets.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

MunchE posted:

Perhaps someday the "more sweet = more hype" train will die out but it's been doing nothing but growing thus far. People seem to really loving like their beer tasting like sweets.

To be fair, there's obviously a significant backlash to this in the rise of lagers and other classic styles. No one is lining up for those or selling them on the secondary, but compared to even 5 years ago, there are a ton more options like that. I think TBBW is one of those times when the worst is highlighted, but remember that that is still a relatively small portion of even hardcore beer nerds.

Apache
May 11, 2004

It wasn't overly bitter to me, but I did visit them after a string of places with adjunct imperial stouts, so my palate might not have been overly sensitive at that point. Seemed lighter tasting than the Triple Crossing Cryo Nectar.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

danbanana posted:

To be fair, there's obviously a significant backlash to this in the rise of lagers and other classic styles. No one is lining up for those or selling them on the secondary, but compared to even 5 years ago, there are a ton more options like that. I think TBBW is one of those times when the worst is highlighted, but remember that that is still a relatively small portion of even hardcore beer nerds.

Yeah, there's obviously a very different market between the guys who are willing to line up at a brewery for poo poo and your average craft beer consumer. The ticking/bottle share culture promotes big flavors - you're drinking 1oz of 40 different beers in a night and you need that 1oz to pop. It's also I think just a bit of phase that people who are new to craft beer go through and usually grow out of.

But among the contingent of craft beer nerds who care about it enough to type in forums and whatnot, I think the current new wave feels bigger because it probably is. Craft beer in general has more people jumping in all the time so the new wave of hype chasers feels huge. But all of us are a minority among overall craft beer drinkers

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Don't forget that the American pallette craves sweet flavors and disdains bitter stuff, typically. Compare American soda to European soda. It's no wonder why people are chomping at the bit whenever breweries figure out ways to make beer less bitter and far more sweet.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
the running of the bullshit

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Was scrolling through FB and local liquor store posted showing Az is now getting Cigar City. So that's cool. Looks like I have a new pool beer. Although I might not buy it because it's special when I visit Fl and get a sixer of jai alai.

sterster fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 14, 2018

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Blasting a Cigar City Tampa-Lager. This tape is crisp!

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

sterster posted:

Was scrolling through FB and local liquor store posted showing Az is now getting Cigar City. So that's cool. Looks like I have a new pool beer. Although I might not buy it because it's special when I visit Fl and get a sixer of jai alai.

I guess Stone has started doing distro for them, we're getting it in Los Angeles now too. Had a Jai Alai last weekend and was...underwhelmed, considering all the good I've heard about it. Beer was fresh, canned on 3/5, but it just tasted kind of odd.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

funkybottoms posted:

most people i know- and that obviously includes many industry folks- feel the same way.

the last bath of White Ferrari was weird and vegetal as gently caress- i thought it tasted like canned peas and a coworker got olive oil and garlic

i would gladly drink myself sick on Hornswoggler, though

I agree! A couple weeks does wonders.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Mr. Clark2 posted:

I guess Stone has started doing distro for them, we're getting it in Los Angeles now too. Had a Jai Alai last weekend and was...underwhelmed, considering all the good I've heard about it. Beer was fresh, canned on 3/5, but it just tasted kind of odd.

I don't think mine really tasted that different from when I've had them in the past. Part of it has been that I've always been on a beach in Fl and it's been something special. Being able to run down to the local liquor store kind of takes that down a notch. That being said I think it's still the same beer. Also, it's suffering the same way BCBS did in that I can get decent citrus type IPAs locally now.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mr. Clark2 posted:

drat, the newest jai alai stores around me have is from mid january.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

I just assumed with all of the good things I've heard about Vale that IDEWBU was just a gimmick beer meant to push limits that went too far.

Apache posted:

It wasn't overly bitter to me, but I did visit them after a string of places with adjunct imperial stouts, so my palate might not have been overly sensitive at that point.

Given what I tasted, I think drinking a bunch of adjunct stouts before would have made the problem worse. Definitely sounds like there are batch to batch differences with that beer.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Don't forget that the American pallette craves sweet flavors and disdains bitter stuff, typically. Compare American soda to European soda. It's no wonder why people are chomping at the bit whenever breweries figure out ways to make beer less bitter and far more sweet.

Yeah, we typically do have palates favor sweetness over other flavors, but it feels like the beer world has really gone off the deep end with it in just the last year or two. Thinking back 3 years ago or so, it seemed like there was a lot more diversity in the beers that were being hyped and talked about : dry saisons, Belgian styles, barrel aged sours, etc. Now it feels like all anyone gets hyped up about are NE IPAs, fruited kettle sours, and adjunct stouts. I don't know if it's a major shift in tastes or if the field has become so crowded that breweries feel the need to pounce on anything that feels like a trend to survive.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Yeah, we typically do have palates favor sweetness over other flavors, but it feels like the beer world has really gone off the deep end with it in just the last year or two. Thinking back 3 years ago or so, it seemed like there was a lot more diversity in the beers that were being hyped and talked about : dry saisons, Belgian styles, barrel aged sours, etc. Now it feels like all anyone gets hyped up about are NE IPAs, fruited kettle sours, and adjunct stouts. I don't know if it's a major shift in tastes or if the field has become so crowded that breweries feel the need to pounce on anything that feels like a trend to survive.

Beer trends are cancer.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Now it feels like all anyone gets hyped up about are NE IPAs, fruited kettle sours, and adjunct stouts. I don't know if it's a major shift in tastes or if the field has become so crowded that breweries feel the need to pounce on anything that feels like a trend to survive.

that's the vast majority of Veil's output and they are absolutely raking in the cash. of course, it certainly doesn't hurt that they generally make really good beer.

dunno if i shared this one already, but some months ago i was drinking a shift beer in the taproom and a young woman approached the bartender with a nearly-full glass and said, "i really like goses, but this is just really bad." part of me was pissed, of course, because our straight gose is good and very true to style, but the rest of me was all smdh at you dumb fucks that think a gose is sweet and at least 25% fruit... which i guess kind of counts as being pissed, too.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Someone post that DDB soda meme again. And then post it at the top of every new page of the thread until it stops being relevant.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I just assumed with all of the good things I've heard about Vale that IDEWBU was just a gimmick beer meant to push limits that went too far.

Given what I tasted, I think drinking a bunch of adjunct stouts before would have made the problem worse. Definitely sounds like there are batch to batch differences with that beer.

Well, if by 'Beer World' you mean America, sure :P Thankfully my end of the world has escaped the big excesses, NE IPAs are a big thing alright, but pastry sours are still rare and (IMO) not really interesting.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

very stable genius posted:

Someone post that DDB soda meme again. And then post it at the top of every new page of the thread until it stops being relevant.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I'd like to see more of what Mad Hatter do over here. They made a Banoffee bitter that contains no banana, isn't sweet, and still tastes like the dessert by clever use of malt and yeast.

Beer is such a fascinating, complex product that chucking a bunch of stuff in to make it not taste like beer seems lazy.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Spuckuk posted:

Beer is such a fascinating, complex product that chucking a bunch of stuff in to make it not taste like beer seems lazy.

The old school mindset was that people would add fruit to beer to hide any faults or off flavors that came from a lack of brewing skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Spanish Manlove posted:

The old school mindset was that people would add fruit to beer to hide any faults or off flavors that came from a lack of brewing skill.

I fail to see how this is strictly an “old school” thing.