Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Well I start upgrade training in April so it looks like Butt Reactor and I won’t be able to fly together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Edit. I'm just complaining about bullshit never mind.

SomeDrunkenMick fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 7, 2018

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Well I start upgrade training in April so it looks like Butt Reactor and I won’t be able to fly together

If you are ORD based and flew with a certain John Oliver-ish looking guy, maybe you already did :ssh:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

Edit. I'm just complaining about bullshit never mind.

Well that's like 75% of what pilots do when they're talking so feel free to edit it back to your original post.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Butt Reactor posted:

If you are ORD based and flew with a certain John Oliver-ish looking guy, maybe you already did :ssh:

Haha this would be the second after-the-fact discovered Goonflight.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

KodiakRS posted:

Well that's like 75% of what pilots do when they're talking so feel free to edit it back to your original post.

Holy poo poo thank god I’m not the only one.

Anyways I had a pretty long and lovely day today. Glad it’s over.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KodiakRS posted:

*99%

The other 1% is just radio calls

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Nah all's good, went for a few beers with a pilot friend bitched about work for an hour and got it off my chest. I try to keep my bitching in work fun and light instead of depressing.

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Follow the skid mark up bravo then right on Quebec.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Kerosene19 posted:

Follow the skid mark up bravo then right on Quebec.

How many anti-skid valve failures does it take to get to the tootsie-roll center of a tootsie-tire?

One.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Any reason I shouldn't buy the LuggageWorks Stealth Air and some overpriced attachable bag this week? Seems to be the standard crew luggage, but man... $299 + $59-99 for an accessory is a hard pill to swallow.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My luggage is a 35 dollar Samsonite suitcase I got from some overstock discount store like Burlington or something. The zipper is sturdy and the material is barely showing wear.

I got it 2.5 years ago, it seems like it will probably last me a few more. I know you can buy a suitcase-for-life for hundreds but I’d rather spend 80 bucks a decade and not cry if I lose it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I have a LW stealth and bright line bag with the J hook handle.

You can’t put a price on a good, durable bag.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

xaarman posted:

Any reason I shouldn't buy the LuggageWorks Stealth Air and some overpriced attachable bag this week? Seems to be the standard crew luggage, but man... $299 + $59-99 for an accessory is a hard pill to swallow.

I still have and occasionally use the PNTco (predecessor to Luggageworks) bag I bought in 1996. I've put new zippers, wheels and handles on it but it still works like a champ.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

xaarman posted:

I love my luggage works but its very heavy.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I’ve had the metal one for five years. Heavy as gently caress but it’s a tank. Only problems I’ve had have been the handle mechanism and squeaky wheel, both which I fixed myself with a screwdriver and WD-40. I may send it to get refurbished to extend its life, if it’s significantly cheaper than buying their newer plastic model.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is the Lightspeed Zulu3 worth the extra $200 over the Sierra? (For a PPL student, not professional flight crew).

Would any of you ever consider buying a lightly used headset or is that just too gross in concept?

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
IMO all Lightspeed's are just alright.

I've gotten free lightly used headsets from old codgers at the airport and just did a heavy cleaning on them. Works great!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

You can also replace all of the skin-contact parts of most headsets fairly cheaply if you want to.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

AWSEFT posted:

I love my luggage works but its very heavy.

I’ve heard if you hit the side of an escalator step hard enough on accident it’ll turn the escalator off.

Heard from a friend that was running to a commute.

Totally wasn’t me.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Metal LW bags also do not last if you do a lot of traveling as a passenger that checks bags. The ramp monkeys will absolutely destroy one of those bags in less than a year if you check your bag a bunch. I've had mine for about a decade and all was well until I worked a job that had me commercial deadheading a lot and it was murder on that bag.

edit: Headset chat: Either spend the money on a Bose A20 or used X or a David Clark DC OneX or get a passive DC 13.4. All other headsets are junk.

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 13, 2018

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
David Clark Pro-X is also nice.

simble
May 11, 2004

I've had Lightspeed Sierras for 6 years. They have good ANR and aren't overly heavy. Also their customer support is great.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
During my 135 days my other pilot had one of those big metal frame 50lb bags and couldn’t get it into the baggage compartment because of a shoulder issue, so I had to do it for the short duration of my employment. Crew baggage was also in the back of the cabin so I had to lug it around awkwardly to get it back there.

Like dude if your rear end can’t lift it get a duffel bag. Don’t make me throw my back out as I try and lift it over 2 seats while bent over.

This has been another Rolo 135 rant from days passed, thanks for reading.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Reason number whatever to never fly part 135. I just recently came over to the light side and I'll gently caress an airplane before I ever fly one under 135 rules again.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I don't know how more people don't die under lovely 135 operators.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Self preservation instinct.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

e.pilot posted:

I don't know how more people don't die under lovely 135 operators.

I had to be the tie vote once between the DOM and the DO because the brakes were out of wear limits and the DO “knew for a fact it would stop just fine.”

Yeah, uh, no? Also I quit?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Is the Lightspeed Zulu3 worth the extra $200 over the Sierra? (For a PPL student, not professional flight crew).

I have a Sierra and have been happy with it, never really wished I had the Zulu or Bose instead. I have a large head and can fly 3-4hrs in it with no problems, the DC i used prior to buying it was extremely uncomfortable by comparison. Mic/Audio quality is way better too which helps with ATC.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I'm really glad I don't work in United's PR department

Rolo posted:

I had to be the tie vote once between the DOM and the DO because the brakes were out of wear limits and the DO “knew for a fact it would stop just fine.”

Yeah, uh, no? Also I quit?

One of the few things that are good about 121. Brake wear out of limit? Write it up, call maintenance, and go grab a coffee because it's no longer your problem.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

KodiakRS posted:

One of the few things that are good about 121. Brake wear out of limit? Write it up, call maintenance, and go grab a coffee because it's no longer your problem.

Im now with a management company that provides job security and a part 91 gig. Management is all pilots and every problem I’ve ever dealt with is first considered legally then whether I’m cool with it. If it isn’t both of those it doesn’t happen, they have my back and I go drink beer.

It’s nice.

This is absolutely heartbreaking :(

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KodiakRS posted:

I'm really glad I don't work in United's PR department

I’m only 6 months in to the 121 world after a year and change in the 135 world and I am absolutely blown away at how much better it is. I legit don’t know how there aren’t just 135 planes lawn darting out of the sky on the reg in hindsight.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rolo posted:

This is absolutely heartbreaking :(

On one hand, I respect the fact that flight attendants are an important part of the flight crew for any flight, but honestly, when some of them act like the goddamn Sky Gestapo it really pisses me off. It's like any flight crew position: you have to adapt to the situation at hand, considering safety, customer service, and any other operational necessities, while exercising common loving sense. A pilot shouldn't fly if they aren't SAFE, and flight attendants shouldn't fly if cramming a dog in the overhead bin seems like a thing they might consider doing in whatever mental state they're in.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I assume that the dog suffocated? I hadn't realized that the overhead compartments were airtight -- but that sure seems like something that the flight crew should be aware of!

Once again, super satisfied with my decision to boycott that airline. I feel really sorry for the dog and its owners though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I assume that the dog suffocated? I hadn't realized that the overhead compartments were airtight -- but that sure seems like something that the flight crew should be aware of!

Once again, super satisfied with my decision to boycott that airline. I feel really sorry for the dog and its owners though.

Something doesn't have to be airtight for you to suffocate. Just has not have enough airflow to remove carbon dioxide fast enough.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

PT6A posted:

On one hand, I respect the fact that flight attendants are an important part of the flight crew for any flight, but honestly, when some of them act like the goddamn Sky Gestapo it really pisses me off. It's like any flight crew position: you have to adapt to the situation at hand, considering safety, customer service, and any other operational necessities, while exercising common loving sense. A pilot shouldn't fly if they aren't SAFE, and flight attendants shouldn't fly if cramming a dog in the overhead bin seems like a thing they might consider doing in whatever mental state they're in.

Absolutely. If you want the responsibility and respect of a crew member don’t ever put your head that far up your own rear end. A short delay to assess the situation before committing to something sociopathic should absolutely be common sense. gently caress you, United employee. You are an rear end in a top hat.

I’m posting to vent about this shitshow airline because I’m a dog person and my heart goes out to that poor family.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

All I ever needed to know about 135 operators was learned reading Squawk 7700. Holy poo poo.

Move the rig. Do the W&B in the air. Oh, one pilot midaired probably because he was doing the W&B in the air? You'd better neglect to mention that to the NTSB or you're loving fired for sinking my company. Also, do more around this company. The new guy and his wife are volunteering to wash planes to kiss my rear end so you get to do it now, too! No? Do you like working here?

Rolo posted:

Absolutely. If you want the responsibility and respect of a crew member don’t ever put your head that far up your own rear end. A short delay to assess the situation before committing to something sociopathic should absolutely be common sense. gently caress you, United employee. You are an rear end in a top hat.

I’m posting to vent about this shitshow airline because I’m a dog person and my heart goes out to that poor family.

My memory's fuzzy on all the details, but we were flying CMH-PHL in 2000 on an F-100 and somehow were among the last on the plane, causing the overheads to fill up (this is ~10 years before it became commonplace where they'd offer to check your bag through at the gate for free) before we could get a carry-on with my mom's cancer medications a spot. This was explained to the lead F/A, who was insistent she was going to check it through to our final destination anyway.

That final destination was CDG. After a calm disagreement in which we were guilted with potentially holding the flight up and causing pax to misconnect, another F/A agreed to keep it with her at the aft jumpseat (I don't think the F-100 had a tailcone exit). I don't think we carried backpacks or anything with us at that point and the only "personal item" in which the meds could've alternately been stored was her purse, but she had several of them and they wouldn't have fit or something.

e- Also, I'm also a dog person and Jesus, what a mess. Mergermania seemed to give the mainline carriers less reason to give a gently caress in many cases in general, but United can't get out of its own way.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 14, 2018

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Without defending United, it was a French Bulldog, which are so inbred that they have serious trouble regulating their own temperature or even breathing when they get stressed. Even with sufficient airflow, it's distinctly possible that the stress of being in a loud, noisy, dark place panicked the dog to the point where it essentially suffocated itself.

It really doesn't help United that it was one of their flight attendants who demanded the dog go in the overhead, since the airline already has a reputation for beating up passengers that don't comply with crewmember instructions, so the flying public sees this as "kill the dog or we beat you up".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

CBJSprague24 posted:

All I ever needed to know about 135 operators was learned reading Squawk 7700. Holy poo poo.

Move the rig. Do the W&B in the air. Oh, one pilot midaired probably because he was doing the W&B in the air? You'd better neglect to mention that to the NTSB or you're loving fired for sinking my company. Also, do more around this company. The new guy and his wife are volunteering to wash planes to kiss my rear end so you get to do it now, too! No? Do you like working here?

I’ll have to check that out. I’ve gotten both the “do you like working here” and the “I know you don’t know how much money that is but” speeches. No I don’t want to drive the floor cleaner. I don’t know how to use it, let alone around expensive equipment. Also I’m not a god damned janitor. Do janitors take on this much debt to be able clean the floor?

This is my last rant for awhile, I promise.