Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband’s lap."
Why is this joke so badly translated? I assume that sentence structure worked better in ancient Sumerian but in English it's just a mess. It robs the joke of all potential humour by making you first try to figure out what it even means. Not that it would have been a great joke anyway, but in this form it's hard to tell what the hell you're even reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Disney did quite a bit of propaganda during the war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_and_American_animation

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

Wow harsh:
“Matthew Broderick has said that when he was hired as the voice of adult Simba in The Lion King, he presumed the project was related to Kimba the White Lion.[19][20][21][22] "I thought he meant Kimba, who was a white lion in a cartoon when I was a little kid," said Broderick. "So I kept telling everybody I was going to play Kimba. I didn't really know anything about it, but I didn't really care. I mean, I killed two people in Ireland so who gives a poo poo about some cartoon, you know?”

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

MonkeyHate posted:

Wow harsh:
“Matthew Broderick has said that when he was hired as the voice of adult Simba in The Lion King, he presumed the project was related to Kimba the White Lion.[19][20][21][22] "I thought he meant Kimba, who was a white lion in a cartoon when I was a little kid," said Broderick. "So I kept telling everybody I was going to play Kimba. I didn't really know anything about it, but I didn't really care. I mean, I killed two people in Ireland so who gives a poo poo about some cartoon, you know?”

bit of paraphrasing at the end there but still quite accurate

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Why is this joke so badly translated? I assume that sentence structure worked better in ancient Sumerian but in English it's just a mess. It robs the joke of all potential humour by making you first try to figure out what it even means. Not that it would have been a great joke anyway, but in this form it's hard to tell what the hell you're even reading.

The same joke structure exists in English -- it's just odd because the words they've chosen are very academic.

I hypothesize that a more vernacular translation might be

"No girl has ever farted on her husband's lap. NOT"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"But doctor!" says the woman, "PFFFFFBTBTBBTBTBTBBT"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

The same joke structure exists in English -- it's just odd because the words they've chosen are very academic.

I hypothesize that a more vernacular translation might be

"No girl has ever farted on her husband's lap. NOT"

It's not just the specific words that were chosen - it's also the sentence structure (eg. the double negative of "never has this not happened") and the pointless wordiness (eg. "since time immemorial"). And your translation is better because it fixes those issues.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It’s phrased that way because it’s a mislead joke.

Faking out about to record some big once in a lifetime event.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tiggum posted:

It's not just the specific words that were chosen - it's also the sentence structure (eg. the double negative of "never has this not happened") and the pointless wordiness (eg. "since time immemorial"). And your translation is better because it fixes those issues.

The weird structure is probably a literal translation of the way that it was written in ancient Sumerian. Not all languages have the same syntactic flexibility that English does, so that might be the only way that the Sumerians could phrase the joke, but that doesn't mean it sounded weird to them. If you literally translated the French phrase for "what's up?" you would get "what is this which happens now?" but it doesn't confuse native speakers.

"Since time immemorial" is clearly an example of deliberate hyperbole that adds to the humor. Compare:

"It's inevitable that a young woman will eventually fart on her husband's lap."

"It is an ancient truth of the eons, known to great sages since the earliest days of the human race, that eventually, a young woman will inevitably fart on her husband's lap."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guys, it's funny because a girl farted on a guy. Farts are funny.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

cya later you robotic bitch

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sagebrush posted:

The weird structure is probably a literal translation of the way that it was written in ancient Sumerian. Not all languages have the same syntactic flexibility that English does, so that might be the only way that the Sumerians could phrase the joke, but that doesn't mean it sounded weird to them. If you literally translated the French phrase for "what's up?" you would get "what is this which happens now?" but it doesn't confuse native speakers.

"Since time immemorial" is clearly an example of deliberate hyperbole that adds to the humor. Compare:

"It's inevitable that a young woman will eventually fart on her husband's lap."

"It is an ancient truth of the eons, known to great sages since the earliest days of the human race, that eventually, a young woman will inevitably fart on her husband's lap."

This feels like it should go with a galaxy brain meme

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

"Butt doctor!" says the woman, "PFFFFFBTBTBBTBTBTBBT"

FTFY

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lobok posted:

Everyone says they don't like puns/prison rape but once the puns/prison rape starts up everyone can't help but join the fun.

Stop trying to justify yourself. You didn't get a choice whether or not to join in the prison rape.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

trapped mouse posted:

bit of paraphrasing at the end there but still quite accurate

I had to look that up:

quote:

On August 5, 1987, while driving a rented BMW in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland, Broderick crossed into the wrong lane and collided head-on with a Volvo driven by Anna Gallagher, 30, accompanied by her mother, Margaret Doherty, 63, killing both instantly. He was vacationing with Jennifer Grey, whom he began dating in semi-secrecy during the filming of Ferris Bueller's Day Off; the crash publicly revealed their relationship. He had a fractured leg and ribs, a concussion, and a collapsed lung. She received minor injuries, including whiplash.

Broderick told police he had no recollection of the crash and did not know why he was in the wrong lane: "I don't remember the day. I don't remember even getting up in the morning. I don't remember making my bed. What I first remember is waking up in the hospital, with a very strange feeling going on in my leg." He was charged with causing death by dangerous driving and faced up to five years in prison, but was later convicted of the lesser charge of careless driving and fined $175.[26][27][28][29]

The victims' son and brother, Martin Doherty, called the verdict "a travesty of justice". He later forgave Broderick, amid plans to meet with him in 2003, to gain a sense of closure. In February 2012, when Broderick was featured in a multi-million-dollar Honda commercial aired during the Super Bowl, Doherty said the meeting had not taken place and that Broderick "wasn't the greatest choice of drivers, knowing his past."[30]

How much coke was that advertising exec on when they thought he'd be good choice?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

spog posted:

I had to look that up:

How much coke was that advertising exec on when they thought he'd be good choice?

They probably figured most people wouldn’t know about it, it doesn’t come up often anymore

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

the joke works fine for people with working human brains.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
At least it wasn't an ad for BMW, I guess?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

At least it wasn't an ad for BMW, I guess?

An ad for Tesla. “If I’d been driving a car with the new Autopilot features, those people would still be alive today.”

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Instead, our product would guide the guilty STRAIGHT INTO A loving SEMI BOOYAAAAAA

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FactsAreUseless posted:

"But doctor!" says the woman, "I am Paglifartti!"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Good joke. Roll on snare. Everybody fart.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shugojin posted:

Roll on snare.

Rimshot, please

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Goons gently caress up perfectly good joke because words with more than two syllables confuse and anger them; fish swim, birds fly

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Imagine being such a pedant as to attempt to correct the wording of the oldest recorded joke in human history.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Coq au Nandos posted:

Imagine being such a pedant as to attempt to correct the wording of the oldest recorded joke in human history.
Yeah linguistics totally aren't a thing.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Here, let me update the joke for modern sensibilities.

*in an extremely stand-up comedian voice*

You know what's unlikely? A stripper holding a fart while giving you a lap dance. Not that I mind!

*is revealed to be a sexual harasser one week later*

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Fish fly, birds swim, goons run a joke into the ground.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
*farts*

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Paladinus posted:

Here, let me update the joke for modern sensibilities.

*in an extremely stand-up comedian voice*

You know what's unlikely? A stripper holding a fart while giving you a lap dance. Not that I mind!

*is revealed to be a sexual harasser one week later*

Best one yet imo

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wife Warms Husband By Farting On His Lap: Heating Companies Hate Her!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

FTFY

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

*tooooot*

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

You need a link to support the idea that a brand new transit system involving a massive underground tunnel system built to create and sustain vacuum while also opening dozens of times per day via hundreds of car elevators to transport this new kind of see through plastic pleasure bus is going to be more expensive than the regular buses that he have now? Really? You really need to see documentation to support the claim that a massive infrastructure project based around the implementation of vacuum tube technology at a scale never before seen, and also the installation of hundreds of giant street level elevators in one of the most expensive real estate markets in the world, is going to cost more than buses? Buses, the things that even the poorest countries in the world have? Which are basically just big trucks and operate on existing roads?

I'm really trying not to be insulting here, but it's real fuckin' hard. Does your brain work? Can you form thoughts?

Context is someone asking for a link to prove that Elon ol musky musks hyperlink bus project would cost far more in fares and building it than the typical bus in any given city. Also related:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not a question of "ooh, how will this fancy space-machine work and cost", it's a matter of pure and simply logistics for a construction project, which you can reasonably ballpark a guess based on what it would cost to dig a network of multiple tunnels between two major cities, let alone pressurize them.

DandyLion posted:

I'd think it'd be as simple as asking how much has your mother been charging recently.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You missed the guy's response, which was the best part.

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Okay. I was hoping to have a respectful exchange here, but you're clearly not interested in that. Bye.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

The weird structure is probably a literal translation of the way that it was written in ancient Sumerian.
Yeah, I got that. That's why it's a bad translation. That is exactly the point I was making.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, I got that. That's why it's a bad translation. That is exactly the point I was making.

It's not a bad translation. It's a transliteration, which is as direct a translation as possible in order to preserve the structure and word-by-word meaning of the original. You can have fights for decades about what constitutes a "good translation" (otherwise we'd have a single canonical translation of every classical text and nobody would bother with new ones), but a transliteration isn't automatically a bad one - it's just a deliberately literal one.

In case it isn't clear, this is me telling you that you don't know as much about this subject as you think you do, and it might be time for you to stop talking about it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

You missed the guy's response, which was the best part.

Lmbo nobody tell that guy about Trig

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Besesoth posted:

In case it isn't clear, this is me telling you that you don't know as much about this subject as you think you do, and it might be time for you to stop talking about it.

You're talking to Tiggum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Somfin posted:

You're talking to Tiggum.

Ah, so the thread has moved from correcting the oldest joke in recorded history to correcting the biggest joke in recorded history.