Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

euphronius posted:

I know it was somewhere in that Andes area.

They look amazing in 3D

Maybe in 2d it doesn't look right

Seconding the 3D rocks looking rad. I normally never reach my hand out to try and pass it through 3D poo poo when I watch movies, but that time I had to give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I don't think it is even a proper 4k print. Digital was a mistake.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Has anyone seen any of the 3d fan conversions of episodes 1-6?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'm not sure if people really think these things through.

The Jedi Order is a theocracy with police powers that has been established as trying to destroy rival religions.

The Republic was an aristocratic assembly that was unable and unwilling to stop a junk dealer from owning slaves.

It's not a tragedy that they fall, it's a comedy.

The only religion the Jedi ever try to destroy is the Sith, who are actively trying to conquer and enslave the galaxy. Theocracy is also not a word I'd use to describe the Jedi's duties. They are never used to quash non-orthodox beliefs for daring to exist, they never enforce Jedi doctrine on the populace, they do not control the Republics religious institutions (It seems to have no State Church). They're basically treated as some group of badasses-on-call that are trusted by the Galaxy at large to get poo poo done.

The "Aristocracy" of the good-guys is only ever used as flavoring to tie into the series thematic inspirations in "Heroes Journey" style stuff to make it feel like old myths but with spaceships and lasers. Padme was literally elected democratically and has to step down once her terms up. All the anti-democratic forces rotting the Republic are shown to be rooted in either corporate power and Evil Space Wizards.
And what was the republic supposed to do about Tatooine exactly? It's not in their territory. Once again you can disagree with the film and say this is a flaw with Liberal Democracy being unable to do anything about human rights abuses in other countries, but the film isn't saying that. as for Qui-Gon not kicking Watto in the Balls and and running off with Shimi, remember he has to keep incognito and Mind tricks don't work on Watto. If the Hutts are alerted to some offworlder freeing slaves it brings down them, the Trade Federation, and who knows what else. Dooming Naboo and probably getting him and everyone on the Queens ship killed.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/cucumber__2/status/973191746589896705?s=20

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

easy to see why they cut this. similar to finn as a whole, it's a bit strange to humanise the dudes your heroes will soon cut down en masse, leaving you to wonder if that one stormtrooper was part of the casualties

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I'm not sure if people really think these things through.

The Jedi Order is a theocracy with police powers that has been established as trying to destroy rival religions.

The Republic was an aristocratic assembly that was unable and unwilling to stop a junk dealer from owning slaves.

It's not a tragedy that they fall, it's a comedy.

While that is an amazing take that has definitely not been posted before in an SA star wars thread, it is absolutely not what any prequel or other media or any Lucas quote supports.

The jedi and republic are always, always portrayed as flawed Good Guys

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

galagazombie posted:

The only religion the Jedi ever try to destroy is the Sith, who are actively trying to conquer and enslave the galaxy.

An evil religion trying to conquer and enslave the galaxy... sound rather propagandistic.

galagazombie posted:

The "Aristocracy" of the good-guys is only ever used as flavoring to tie into the series thematic inspirations in "Heroes Journey" style stuff to make it feel like old myths but with spaceships and lasers... All the anti-democratic forces rotting the Republic are shown to be rooted in either corporate power and Evil Space Wizards.

What you're ignoring is that "old myths" are not value neutral, but produced by certain societies with certain (aristocratic) values. Besides, the reason the good guys are aristocratic is not to tie it into "old myths," but specifically to movies like The Hidden Fortress, which is very much a feudalist story.

The "heroes" themselves are the anti-democratic forces. The Jedi attempt to coup the leader of the Republic. They are the Evil Space Wizards.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

it is absolutely not what any prequel or other media or any Lucas quote supports.

You're argument is just an appeal to authorial intention.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The sith actively embrace being evil and describe themselves as such

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So they're bad because their honest, unlike the Jedi or the Republic?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

While that is an amazing take that has definitely not been posted before in an SA star wars thread, it is absolutely not what any prequel or other media or any Lucas quote supports.

To a certain degree, but the hypocrisy of the Jedi is a constant undercurrent. The first big hint is Yoda citing the dire consequences of harbouring fear while rejecting Anakin as a pupil due to fear of these consequences. With regard to the Sith, Obi-wan's declaration that "only a Sith deals in absolutes" is similarly ironic. This is expanded on with his attitude towards Dooku before he learns that he is Sith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaXHDpCe-KI

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So they're bad because their honest, unlike the Jedi or the Republic?

The evil lord Darth Vader, obsessed with finding young Skywalker, has dispatched thousands of remote probes into the far reaches of space....

(Emphasis added)

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

the irony is that the young Skywalker he meant to find ............. was within him all along

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I finally watched Last Jedi, and that was probably one of the worst movies I've seen in general. I feel like dozens of basic writing rules were just ignored because I barely care about the characters and the motivations are murky.

Its like a 9 year old wrote the script with all the cooky references and things we are supposed to think are significant like weird sacred trees and whatever, that have no plot relevance.

Rey being a ridiculous Mary Sue doesn't help.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

The evil lord Darth Vader, obsessed with finding young Skywalker, has dispatched thousands of remote probes into the far reaches of space....

(Emphasis added)

Your argument is based on a faux-propagandistic opening scroll.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The text of the movie ?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Your argument is based on a faux-propagandistic opening scroll.

You don't need the text of the movie to figure out that the literal space Nazis are evil.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Gorelab posted:

You don't need the text of the movie to figure out that the literal space Nazis are evil.

This is a case of taking the concept of a 'text' too literally. Narration is always biased.

The Empire are not literal space Nazis.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They don't even speak German !!

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Maybe the good guys aren't all they're cracked up to be, but just because Winston Churchill was an evil racist bastard doesn't mean that the other side were the good guys. Hope this helps.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That kind of historical reference is really kind of dishonest. When you actually look at the Rebels-Empire conflict in the movies, it's a group of aristocrats trying to seize power back from a dictator. The real reference point is the Optimates, not the Allies. They make it clear in the first movie that the Rebels has support from the Imperial Senate.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The ancient Sith, that the Jedi fought long ago, do not appear in the films and their beliefs can only be surmised.

The modern Sith sect, of which we only ever see three adherents (if we count Vader), seems almost wholly motivated by revenge and security. It's fair to guess that had they not been nearly wiped out by the Jedi, this would not be the case.

This is besides the fact that the most vocal adherent was an ambitious politician who found his Sith identity politically expedient.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Palps, maul, Dooku, Anakin, Snoke, Ben

So six.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sylink posted:

Rey being a ridiculous Mary Sue doesn't help.

Is this still something people call Rey unironically in TYOOL 2018?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

Palps, maul, Dooku, Anakin, Snoke, Ben

So six.

I'm not really sure you can count Snoke and Ben. Sith doesn't just mean, "Dark side Force user", it was a specific organization.

Though, I guess Qui-Gon guesses Maul is Sith just from using a red lightsaber, so...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ben talks about ending the Sith and points to Snokes throne room.

It wasn't clear in TFA I guess but it was explicit in TLJ.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

Ben talks about ending the Sith and points to Snokes throne room.

It wasn't clear in TFA I guess but it was explicit in TLJ.

Oh, right, I totally forgot about that.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Would anyone really be OK if the CIA had mind powers, had a weird religion they didn't share with people, "adopted" (kidnapped) infants with similar mind powers, was above the law while operating as a police force/military arm of the government, and who only really answered to their own leaders?

The Jedi were "good" to the extent that they objectively worked for a peaceful galaxy, that said, it makes perfect sense that the galaxy would turn on them in an instant. Luke differs from the rest of the galaxy because he's one of the few people who know that not only were the Jedi problematic as an organization, they were complete incompetents when it came to stopping Palpatine, arguably the one thing that the Jedi were really "for," considering non-force users can just as easily be a police force. Normal people in the galaxy (who the Rebels or Resistance are fighting for) might know historically what a "Sith" is, but they have no insight into Palpatine's rise to power, which was basically just Napoleon in space.

I think it was very effective for Luke's message to basically be: "The Jedi" as they existed in the Old Republic was incredibly problematic and also complete failures, though their mission of using their unique gifts to help people was a noble one. That's why he started his school. What he's sulky about is his personal view that, after the rise of Kylo, there is no way to prevent dark side users taking advantage of training to put the galaxy at risk, which is just his opinion, it's up to the audience if they agree with him.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Snoke and Kylo Ren aren't Sith. They're just dark side force users, hth

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sith are dark side force users.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pook Good Mook posted:

The Jedi were "good" to the extent that they objectively worked for a peaceful galaxy

Did they, though?

Their allegiance was to (Galactic Republic) democracy. The pursuit of peace appears secondary, given that they actively pursue war with a separatist movement.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Movie says "evil is everywhere "
I interpret that to mean the Jedi.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

sassassin posted:

Did they, though?

Their allegiance was to (Galactic Republic) democracy. The pursuit of peace appears secondary, given that they actively pursue war with a separatist movement.

The movies present the Separatist Government as largely controlled or at least fomented by a Corporation (government?) that invaded and occupied a border world over the taxation of trade routes. It's other members are a Banking Clan and Tecno Union, not put upon and cast out minority groups. They're the bad guys.

It's definitely a valid point to say that the Republic wasn't objectively good. But we have to take the movies at their word that at their core, the Jedi thought they were on the side of peace, that's why they were willing to arrest the leader of the Republic when they were convinced of his bad intentions. You're basically introducing moral relativism into an assessment of the Jedi, which is as valid a viewpoint as anything when viewed through a moral relativist view. In other words, it boils down to saying everything is at once good and at once bad because it depends on who's talking about it, which doesn't really make sense in a universe where we're presented with one side that's clearly evil and the other that's clearly good. It's the organization that's flawed, not the goals.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

euphronius posted:

Sith are dark side force users.

they are a subset of dark side force users, not all of them

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Watched TLJ last night and I still sensibly chuckle at Poe clowning Hux to stall for time while BB-8 fixes his afterburner jet.

"I CAN HEAR YOU, CAN YOU HEAR ME??" :mad:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

euphronius posted:

Movie says "evil is everywhere "
I interpret that to mean the Jedi.

Evil is everywhere.
So is the Force.

Hence, the Force is evil.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BarronsArtGallery posted:

they are a subset of dark side force users, not all of them

Evidence from the movies to support this claim?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pook Good Mook posted:

The movies present the Separatist Government as largely controlled or at least fomented by a Corporation (government?) that invaded and occupied a border world over the taxation of trade routes. It's other members are a Banking Clan and Tecno Union, not put upon and cast out minority groups. They're the bad guys.

It's definitely a valid point to say that the Republic wasn't objectively good. But we have to take the movies at their word that at their core, the Jedi thought they were on the side of peace, that's why they were willing to arrest the leader of the Republic when they were convinced of his bad intentions. You're basically introducing moral relativism into an assessment of the Jedi, which is as valid a viewpoint as anything when viewed through a moral relativist view. In other words, it boils down to saying everything is at once good and at once bad because it depends on who's talking about it, which doesn't really make sense in a universe where we're presented with one side that's clearly evil and the other that's clearly good. It's the organization that's flawed, not the goals.

Fighting the bad guys is not the same thing as working for a peaceful galaxy. This isn't moral relativism. Fighting for good is simply not the same thing as working for peace.

A Jedi Order committed to peace wouldn't have violently opposed a popular separatist movement on a Galactic scale.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

euphronius posted:

Evidence from the movies to support this claim?

Mace Windu is dark but he's not Sith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

sassassin posted:

Mace Windu is dark but he's not Sith.

Are you making a skin color joke ?

• Locked thread