Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

FranktheBank posted:

Anyone clear up PoP flagging on TLPs?

Scenarios:

I get gimped into all 4 EP kills, will I have Time access?

If I get gimped into Fennin Ro kill, do I have PoFire access?

If I get gimped into an Agnarr kill, but have MM and PoTactics flags, do I have PoEarth access?

If I get gimped into PoEarth for an Advisor kill + ring events, can I zone into PoEb?

Thanks!

Yes

Yes

99% sure

Yes

Need to hail everything obviously and if you go back and do Sayrn etc for your charm, you're in for a lot of unfucking yourself at the dude in PoK. That 'unlock my memories' dude.

Regarding time, you don't need any God kills to get in if you piggy in with a flagged raid. Phase 3 also drops an item that if you keep in your inventory, you are counted as flagged. Frankly, unless you are an SK, you only want a Fenin Ro kill so you are flagged for fire for that exp. Well an enc for BoT/Agnarr kill can solo up there.

Tai fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Wow awesome. So if we have like 60 people who get flagged for the EP Gods, we can piggy any other 12 in to each one and get us all Time flagged?

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

FranktheBank posted:

Anyone clear up PoP flagging on TLPs?

Scenarios:

I get gimped into all 4 EP kills, will I have Time access?

If I get gimped into Fennin Ro kill, do I have PoFire access?

If I get gimped into an Agnarr kill, but have MM and PoTactics flags, do I have PoEarth access?

If I get gimped into PoEarth for an Advisor kill + ring events, can I zone into PoEb?

Thanks!

1. Yes (Time Flag is the four pieces, combine in the vial, click in through Innovation)
2. Yes (Getting the piece from the elemental at the end flags you for that zone)
3. No (Elemental takes the entire chains for Saryrn, MM, Tactics, and Agnarr. You cannot bypass Justice, Storms, Valor, HoHA, Disease, CoD, and Innovation if you're trying for the "real" flag)
4. Yes (Its a /key entry)

quote:

Wow awesome. So if we have like 60 people who get flagged for the EP Gods, we can piggy any other 12 in to each one and get us all Time flagged?

Yes, each elemental gives out 72 "shields" then despawns.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Uhhh, PoP Progression sounds pretty intense. drat, I think I should settle on a main before that happens.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Hoohah posted:

3. No (Elemental takes the entire chains for Saryrn, MM, Tactics, and Agnarr. You cannot bypass Justice, Storms, Valor, HoHA, Disease, CoD, and Innovation if you're trying for the "real" flag)

Okay so just gimp fools into the EP God kills. Trying to determine how painful backflagging a semi casual guild is.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

FranktheBank posted:

Okay so just gimp fools into the EP God kills. Trying to determine how painful backflagging a semi casual guild is.

Get enough people flagged to do elemental and then push in people to get flags from those. There's no real reason to do another round of flagging unless its for charms.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

Hoohah posted:

Get enough people flagged to do elemental and then push in people to get flags from those. There's no real reason to do another round of flagging unless its for charms.

Yeah. I dont want to wait more than a month to do Time.

So probably look at doing like 1 week per tier. I dunno how Storms is gonna go though.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

FranktheBank posted:

So probably look at doing like 1 week per tier. I dunno how Storms is gonna go though.

Just expect to cycle at least 2 complete rounds of flagging (Most of the elementals are worth keeping on farm for 2 weeks at the least anyways) and do a 'return trip' every month after just so the ones that forgot they're giving $15 every month to Daybreak can return to their characters and piggy back off the hard work everyone else put in.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

FranktheBank posted:

Our casual guild on Phinny took 5 weeks to get into Time, and that's because we hosed up the order. I don't remember the specifics, but we didn't kill something before going into PoTorment, so it lost us a week.

Basically just saying that unless your guild is worse than ours was, you should have no trouble getting into Time in a month.

nawledgelambo posted:

Just expect to cycle at least 2 complete rounds of flagging (Most of the elementals are worth keeping on farm for 2 weeks at the least anyways) and do a 'return trip' every month after just so the ones that forgot they're giving $15 every month to Daybreak can return to their characters and piggy back off the hard work everyone else put in.

Water and Fire are worth doing the entire time. Which is a shame, because noone likes water levels, but his loot is good.

Air was kinda bad roi - just took too long, with a tougher final fight, for the loot. We still did it here and there.

Rathe council I think we only did like 2 or 3 times? That fight is just dumb. We'd still do the other parts of EarthB though, it's easy loot.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
So my wife and I, plus my friend now are up to level 40-42 on our 4 characters on Bristlebane.

I have to say these levels are flying by. The easy access to ridiculous gear/weapons and mercs as well easy xp camps is insane. Mercs make it so alone I can play warrior and mage with melee dps and healer and do killer xp any time.

My wife is a 41 warrior and I am a 40 mage, my buddy has a druid and SK. We add one healer merc and one melee dps merc and we are practically unstoppable to the usual camps. We've been doing blightfire moors and random hot zone missions. May go Lguk and Velks next for full nostalgia tour.

I am concerned that once AA's start at 51 the game might be less fun, not sure. Also only 200 max AA on free play character sucks. So if I keep playing I may end up paying, despite planning not to.

Overall, the same old EQ nostalgia has definitely kicked in. For me the biggest thing is, I am thinking about EQ a lot. Like 15 years ago when I played, I was just constantly thinking, reading, playing or whatever about EQ. I feel like this has returned in full force and it is both entertaining and terrifying.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Doctor Party posted:

I am concerned that once AA's start at 51 the game might be less fun, not sure. Also only 200 max AA on free play character sucks. So if I keep playing I may end up paying, despite planning not to.

I could be wrong but my understanding is if you pay for a month, use the AA Autogrant, then let the subscription lapse, you keep the AAs that were autogranted. If you get to level 90ish with the latest expansions, you'll get autogranted everything you possibly can.

You could look into buying Krono from third party as well, they're usually 5-6$ cheaper.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Hoohah posted:

I could be wrong but my understanding is if you pay for a month, use the AA Autogrant, then let the subscription lapse, you keep the AAs that were autogranted. If you get to level 90ish with the latest expansions, you'll get autogranted everything you possibly can.

You could look into buying Krono from third party as well, they're usually 5-6$ cheaper.

Autogrant goes to lvl 100 now, but yes, you keep them all when your sub lapses.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
If you aren't concerned with playing on live forever you can also /testcopy and go play on Test and enjoy free Gold status or whatever it's called.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Anyone know of a fun/easy clicky haste quest? Also yeah I may end up doing that. Just pay for a month, use the AAs and let it lapse. Even after lapse the AA's all persist?

So do I just get granted x number of AA and the I can use them as I level? Like what would happen if I did this at level 51 and hit auto grant?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It is neither fun nor easy but eyepatch of plunder is a clicky haste.

Stormfeather and lodizal might be easy kills these days, idk. They were long camps when thenitem was current.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Eyepatch of Plunder (fabled version is a little easier and starts dropping on Friday) is the most accessible one. Belt of Marvelous Visions and Lizardscale Plated Girdle are higher level options. Can also buy Distillate of Alacrity potions from bazaar or Alchemist Redsa by the small bank in PoK.

Enabling auto-grant gives you (when you level or zone) all non-tradeskill AAs available at your level that aren't from the four most recent expansions. At 51 you would get a bunch of basic stuff like innate run speed, metabolism, etc. If you stay subbed and keep it on you won't need to AA grind until level 100. You don't lose any AA things if you unsub but you won't be able to earn or spend any more if you're over the cap. If you grind out some AA while f2p and later turn on auto-grant you don't get any credit for what you've already spent.

You can stretch out the f2p AA limit a bit by only picking up combat agility/combat stability and a few token things like run speed, spell casting mastery, mnemonic retention. You could probably make it into the 70s before you start really feeling the pinch.

gnoma fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 13, 2018

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Any suggestions for a class to play on the new server launching this week ?

The last main I played was shaman and the workload got far far too high on raids - endless rebuffing - and killed the class for me.

I've also played a mage and that was kinda dull as dishwater - occasional nuke and send in the pet. Apart from velious where your doing endless Call of the Hero on raids in ToV.

So any suggestions for something in the middle ? A class where you have some variation in what you do and have to be reasonably active on raids ?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Doctor Party posted:

So my wife and I, plus my friend now are up to level 40-42 on our 4 characters on Bristlebane.

I have to say these levels are flying by. The easy access to ridiculous gear/weapons and mercs as well easy xp camps is insane. Mercs make it so alone I can play warrior and mage with melee dps and healer and do killer xp any time.

My wife is a 41 warrior and I am a 40 mage, my buddy has a druid and SK. We add one healer merc and one melee dps merc and we are practically unstoppable to the usual camps. We've been doing blightfire moors and random hot zone missions. May go Lguk and Velks next for full nostalgia tour.

Overall, the same old EQ nostalgia has definitely kicked in. For me the biggest thing is, I am thinking about EQ a lot. Like 15 years ago when I played, I was just constantly thinking, reading, playing or whatever about EQ. I feel like this has returned in full force and it is both entertaining and terrifying.
Good to hear you're having fun. It is indeed fun and viable to stay free for a while, but as you predict, it will stop at some point because you'll miss the AAs, and the grind becomes too much. In my opinion, you can keep going and just grind essential AAs until around the mid-60's, where it will get a bit dull, and you have to leave the comfortable, easy old world and early expansions such as Kunark, Velious and Luclin. Just stop and grind some of the class-defining lvl 59 AAs and basic Run AAs.

Definitely visit old zones, I've had so much fun doing that myself. Some recommendations: Karnors, Sebilis, Howling Stones, City of Mist. Howling Stones is actually amazing from the early 40's all the way to the early 50's, you just move a wing and the mob levels go up 2-3 per wing. It's fun to get what was back then über loot, such as Blood Point, Sash of the Dragonborn, etc., just casually dropping. It's the same with Sebilis, fun taking a trip down memory lane, all the way to Trakanon once you get to the 60's.

Your team is lacking a haste buffer such as a Shaman or Enchanter. You can get by with haste potions though - Distillate of Alacrity VI and similar. Haste clickies are to this day very few and hard to obtain, here's a list of most of them:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:Items_Clicky_Buffs_Haste#Haste

Baconroll posted:

Any suggestions for a class to play on the new server launching this week ?

The last main I played was shaman and the workload got far far too high on raids - endless rebuffing - and killed the class for me.

I've also played a mage and that was kinda dull as dishwater - occasional nuke and send in the pet. Apart from velious where your doing endless Call of the Hero on raids in ToV.

So any suggestions for something in the middle ? A class where you have some variation in what you do and have to be reasonably active on raids ?

How about Ranger? They melee, and for the first few expansions, all people want from Rangers is the occasional SoW. Then later on, you get some group buffs that are long-lasting. You can also help track for rares (people will love it) and snare in groups to prevent runners. It takes quite a few expansions for them to get good, though.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

gnoma posted:

Eyepatch of Plunder (fabled version is a little easier and starts dropping on Friday) is the most accessible one. Belt of Marvelous Visions and Lizardscale Plated Girdle are higher level options. Can also buy Distillate of Alacrity potions from bazaar or Alchemist Redsa by the small bank in PoK.

What do you mean the fabled drops Fridays?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Every year during the anniversary of EQ’s launch there are “fabled” mobs - special more powerful versions of prominent mobs from expansions past with correspondingly updated loot, typically updated versions of the popular drops from the original creature.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Anyone rolling on Coirnav?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I'll be starting with a pair of necros! Then probably a druid / bard..

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I'm going to try it out as an enchanter/shaman and see how the xp rate is

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

gepgepgep posted:

Saving names for future. When does it launch again?

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
This Friday 11AM PT - though they said that before the DST change on Sunday so I'd expect +-1 hour as they have struggled with timezones since 1999.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Anybody want to buy some Kronos? Bought some from a goon and don’t have time for EQ anymore. You can have em for what I paid (7/ea). PM me~

BloodThirster
Jan 8, 2001

gepgepgep posted:

I haven't played on TLP server yet, I was thinking about making a character.

Should we get a Goon guild going if we have enough interest?

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
I'm much more in favor of joining some goons in an established guild that's starting up versus joining a goon only guild. Those tend to fade away pretty quickly.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

boho posted:

Anybody want to buy some Kronos? Bought some from a goon and don’t have time for EQ anymore. You can have em for what I paid (7/ea). PM me~

Sent

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

gepgepgep posted:

I'm much more in favor of joining some goons in an established guild that's starting up versus joining a goon only guild. Those tend to fade away pretty quickly.

I think we’d be much better off joining an established guild as well, that’ll give us a much larger pool to grab groupmates and farming buddies from. There were ideas of doing a guild for Agnarr, but reality was we were all so scattered about it never was realistic, and there were some guilds running a couple thousand members for day one shenanigans.

I’m considering making the new TLP my ‘home’ EQ server just due to the fact that it’ll be a good way to see all of EQ content I’ve never been anywhere near before. I’d definitely be up for joining a larger leveling / social guild for the initial grind, so if someone grabs an invite, post about it and we can try to all pile in?

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
Decided to randomly check this thread for no reason and now I want to play the new server. Are mages overplayed on progression servers? I think I'd like to make one so I can relive my failing out of high school days

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Mages are super popular along with monks and enchanters. Doesn't stop any of them from getting groups. Necros and Shadowknights are also up there.

Doctor Party posted:

What do you mean the fabled drops Fridays?

Fabled mobs are part of the anniversary event, but I was wrong they don't start spawning until next month.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Necros? Really? They’ve been poo poo in groups in every expansion apart from level 30-45 in classic (charm in LGuk). I just leave the spot open if only a necro is LFG. Tbh that’s the same for all casters now (enc included).

Didn’t mage pets get a pretty heavy nerf at low level?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
They did but in typical Daybreak fashion it was just for the soloing mage. Their tanking ability, even on an earth pet is basically zero.

DPS wise, they still output more than a group full of melee.

Also yes, necros have never, ever, been good for groups. No matter what era of the game you're talking about. Mages were superior in every way and only god a poo poo rap back in the day because bolt spells were so hosed because of poor line of sight detection.

Never play necro if you want to enjoy the game long term.

You want to game the progression servers? Go mage. As many throw away mages as you can and throw in an enchanter for shits and giggles. Farm krono and pile it up because people are stupid and will STILL TO THIS DAY pay krono for Blackened Iron Medallions, Golden Efreet Boots and other bullshit classic items they think they need to succeed in raids for some reason.. Then roll whatever you want to play for serious to level up through Kunark so you can have it ready for Velious where the game gets decently fun for raiding.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Adding also that if you are planning to stay on Coirnav, with how the game is RIGHT NOW (it may change, who knows?), casters are dumpster tier after PoP. They got a little better in OoW but they are still owned by melee just auto attacking with Wizards being best of the casters right now but still far behind melee. Another thing to add is that with the melee passive buffs among other things, it's fairly easy to solo for exp with raid gear or twink gear if leveling up. My monk on phinny blows through Paw and a 30min lesson burn is 15AA solo and gems and not even close to best in slot raid gear. I'm not saying don't play a caster long term. You might have played it before and love it and OK with it but if you are trying it out for the first time, this is a warning for you long term.

If you are starting a mage to farm Runneye with, remember, BAMS will NOT drop in classic anymore for easy Krono.
If you are starting a necro or mage to farm HG's with, remember, by Luclin, Wizards will be AEing up there and owning you.
If you are starting a necro or enc to farm in Howling Stones charming undead, remember, all the good charm mobs are immune to charm now.

Is the big croc in OOT immune to charm now? Forgot if he is a named or not. 45+ leveling is going to suck if so.

P.S. if you are planning to solo up at efreeti as a necro, have fun being trained over and over. It has got worse on every new TLP

(Beastlords are trash tier DPS for a looooong time)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, I wasn't really paying attention to the earlier part of Phinny, but definitely this later part, casters are hard to find.

Necros / mages / wizards are rare, but exist. Druids flat out do not exist. Any you see, you didn't actually see. They were a fever dream.

That said - most guilds aren't really as picky as they may let on. We may need certain classes more than others, and skew a certain way, but in general "as long as you're not a total piece of poo poo" will be the main reason a guild does or doesn't accept you.

At that point it really comes down to whether or not the player is comfortable not being competitive on DPS parses.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

no druids is sad, though I can understand melee/shm duo is pretty king, but with that combo you miss ports in the early game.

I am so druid biased because despite being a redheaded step-child I always loved playing mine.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

What is raid healing like post pop? Also what do enchanters actually do when charm becomes useless?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Solarin posted:

What is raid healing like post pop? Also what do enchanters actually do when charm becomes useless?

Shamans get really good (group cure, HoTs etc). Druids are fine too. Cleric still king.

Enchanters mes/debuff. Raids still need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Solarin posted:

Tai posted:

Shamans get really good (group cure, HoTs etc). Druids are fine too. Cleric still king.

Enchanters mes/debuff. Raids still need them.

In DoDH we still do CH chains. If poo poo goes sour we might go to spot or spam healing. We still make use of spot healing from non-clerics regularly just for topping up groups or whoever gets ramp, etc, but overall the main difference from early/mid expacs healing (from my non-healer pov) is that unlike mid-expac healing, noone is using Velious BPs :P

Regarding enchanters, I don't know when charming becomes useless, but they're still good in DODH for charming for exp in certain spots. In some cases, they're still the best exp, but even then, as long as they can charm something there, they're pulling weight.

Raid-wise, some fights still use charm - mainly OMM. We're down to 1 ench currently, so I've been having to do it (as a bard). One fight in Demiplane involves keeping a lot of things mezzed the entire time (sisters). Raid fights in general are pretty varied, so I feel it's not as boring for enchanters like it was in early/mid expacs. Definitely always need debuffs.