Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

C-Euro posted:

On the subject of selling off stuff, what should/can I do with two LotVs in Modern? It's getting harder and harder to justify hanging on to them since I don't plan on building Jund/Junk, but I also know that I'll probably never buy them back if I offload them. I was toying with the ideas of some sort of Grixis or Esper Control build that could run them but I don't know how viable those sorts of decks are.

Grixis is still kind of a thing. LSV just posted videos with a Grixis deck that plays two of her. And people are trying Esper but I don't know if they have it in a viable state yet, I don't pay enough attention to Modern.

She also shows up in the Mardu Pyromancer decks, but not the new four-color ones, I don't think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

You'll still need a whole lot more bans before that happens.

Oh yeah and unban recruiter!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I'm currently playing Bad Tron For Poors (G/B Tron ft Villainous Wealth) and you know what people never expect to come down turn 3 in Modern that is surprisingly effective, especially considering JtMS prevalence and my lack of desire to spend :homebrew: for Karn and Ugin?

The Immortal :sun: (followed by a Myr Battlesphere for best effect)

also, how to send a Dredge player from 0 to Lot's Wife levels of salt in one quick and simple Wealth for 5: two Prized Amalgams, two Conflagrates :ocelot: (next turn he scooped to a Newmrakul that I would have used to deck him with his dredge cards and Faithless Lootings in his grave)

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 11, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
How in the hell is Tron so expensive for such a boring deck to play

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

How in the hell is Tron so expensive for such a boring deck to play

People like to win and Ugin and Karn are commander all-stars.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

I'm debating selling off more legacy cards since I barely have time to play anymore. I want to keep 1 deck still intact to play, but it feels like a huge waste of money to keep all of these cards without actually playing them. It's between miracles or Czech pile which I want to keep. Ive played a lot of both now, but I played pre-ban miracles much more. Downside to keeping Czech pile is I only have 2 underground seas so the manabase always feels like a slight compromise. Anyone have any thoughts on what would be better to keep?

sell both and build nourishing lich

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
I built 42 land Swans the other day, and I've taken it to two FNMs (1-3 and 2-2); nothing much to report except the 2-2 should have been 3-1 if I didn't misplay like a complete muppet.

Does anyone else who's playing this deck have any suggestions on how exactly sideboarding works here? I don't know how much I can bring in/take out (and when), and I've not got enough experience with the deck to make those decisions confidently enough yet.

My list is here in case anyone is interested (but it's pretty standard):
42x Lands (4x Fumerole, 4x Temple, 3x Gainland, 4x Painland, 20x Mountain, 7x Island)
4x Swans
4x Treasure Hunt
4x Seismic Assault
2x Molten Vortex
1x Day's Undoing
1x Serum Visions
1x Lightning Bolt
1x Anger of the Gods

Sideboard
2x Anger of the Gods
1x Molten Vortex
1x Void Snare (First FNM, I lost matches to Blood Moon and Leylines; replaced a mainboard Serum Visions with Bolt, put this in the side).
1x Faithless Looting (Mainboarded an Anger of the Gods (lots of aggro decks at my store); left this here in case I wanted it back).
1x Laboratory Maniac
1x Glorious End
2x Smash to Smithereens
3x Spell Pierce
1x Sphinx's Tutelage
2x Tormod's Crypt (didn't have Relics to hand)

Edit: Clarified question.

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 12, 2018

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

I'd swap the Smashes with Abrades, slightly less to the face replaced with emergency creature removal or swan draws.

Maybe replace the void and another sb card with echoing truth for instant speed, versatility, and a way to make token swarms disappear.

I personally put the faithless in maindeck.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Archenteron posted:

I'd swap the Smashes with Abrades, slightly less to the face replaced with emergency creature removal or swan draws.

Maybe replace the void and another sb card with echoing truth for instant speed, versatility, and a way to make token swarms disappear.

I personally put the faithless in maindeck.

Thanks for the suggestions (I'll pick up an Echoing Truth or two and a couple of Abrades when I get chance).

Though, I should have made the question I actually wanted to ask much more obvious. I'm looking for a guide to sideboarding this pile for specific match ups (especially Jund post BBE, but anything else would be useful). It feels like I never know what I can take out/have to leave in.

Edit: VVVVVVV Cheers dude, that all makes some good sense :)

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 12, 2018

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Hmm. Personally, I'd bring in Vortex, Looting, End, and the Crypts (replace a sb Anger with a blasphemous act for high comedy and high toughness creatures), cutting Anger, Undoing, Serum, and two Mountains.

Reasoning: decay and discard makes you really want to stick an early burner and snipe Bob, looting helps against the discard by either getting back more live cards or working out of the grave, End because End, and Crypts to neuter Goyf/Scooze/KCommand Reanimate.

BBE and Bob are the only things that will reliably get hit with Anger so I'd ignore putting those in (this might be a wrong decision), despite discard I feel like giving Jund a full tank of gas and a time walk is exceptionally bad (again, might be a wrong decision here)

And yes, siding out 2-3 lands is acceptible.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Archenteron posted:

And yes, siding out 2-3 lands is acceptible.

Siding out 5-6 lands is acceptable

Death of Rats posted:

1x Glorious End

First and foremost, I am insanely happy that you are keeping this tech alive. I loving love running Glorious end because absolutely nobody sees it coming.

For games two and three you almost always sideboard in lab man if you think a deck is going to play leyline.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

So Bant Spirits. I'm cutting Jace from my sideboard. No other changes to the list from above. Do I want a Nissa, Voice of Zendikar or a Shaper's Sanctuary?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Aren’t most of your creatures dodging removal anyways?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

So Bant Spirits. I'm cutting Jace from my sideboard. No other changes to the list from above. Do I want a Nissa, Voice of Zendikar or a Shaper's Sanctuary?

Have you tried the curious obsession bant spirits list?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Aren’t most of your creatures dodging removal anyways?

Not really. That's kinda the problem. When I can jam 3 of 4 creatures uncontested everything is great, but it's really hard to do that against Generic Pile of $2500 Good Cards while also not dying to 1 mana 5/5s and 2 mana 5/6s. They're both basically in the same slot of anti-midrange/control cards that Jace was supposed to be in except he's terrible. Nissa gets around Lili edicts and takes everything out of -X/-1 cards which is huge for the deck with Last Hope being a card they decided to print. Pumping Wanderer is also a small, but non-zero addition. Shaper's Sanctuary is probably the card I want to try first. It just seems impossible for Jund/k to ever beat if it doesn't get blown up. And if it does get blown up, at least that's a Spell Queller that isn't.

Mezzanon posted:

Have you tried the curious obsession bant spirits list?

I hate the idea of a deck that folds hard to 1-for-1 removal giving those same decks free 2-for-1s.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 12, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Not really. That's kinda the problem. When I can jam 3 of 4 creatures uncontested everything is great, but it's really hard to do that against Generic Pile of $2500 Good Cards while also not dying to 1 mana 5/5s and 2 mana 5/6s. They're both basically in the same slot of anti-midrange/control cards that Jace was supposed to be in except he's terrible. Nissa gets around Lili edicts and takes everything out of -X/-1 cards which is huge for the deck with Last Hope being a card they decided to print. Pumping Wanderer is also a small, but non-zero addition. Shaper's Sanctuary is probably the card I want to try first. It just seems impossible for Jund/k to ever beat if it doesn't get blown up. And if it does get blown up, at least that's a Spell Queller that isn't.

I hate the idea of a deck that folds hard to 1-for-1 removal giving those same decks free 2-for-1s.

Haven't you found that your jund match has actually improved with most versions running less removal? Stock lists are down to 3bolt/2push as the main suite (with kcommand backup but that doesn't get quellers)

Are you running Kira in the 75?

Are you running out rattlechains on opponents upkeep T2? (this is the one time I am proactive with rattlechains and it works great)

Spirit of the labrynth comes in for games 2 and 3 right? what about rhox war monk?

I tried the curious obsession list and went 3-1 with it at fnm, I think it's okay but not great. (I think I still prefer the original list) It has potential where you can slow down jund enough with both thalia's. And everything else operates at instant speed or protects ya threats. The obsession list seems like it is SO MUCH WORSE against tron than the stock list.

One good thing about the list: I got to spell quell a scapeshift and then vapor snag the queller back to my hand with the exile trigger on the stack.

Edit: I meant eidolon of rhetoric, but wrote spirit of the labrynth. It's me, I'm the dumb one.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 12, 2018

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Mezzanon posted:

Haven't you found that your jund match has actually improved with most versions running less removal? Stock lists are down to 3bolt/2push as the main suite (with kcommand backup but that doesn't get quellers)

Are you running Kira in the 75?

Are you running out rattlechains on opponents upkeep T2? (this is the one time I am proactive with rattlechains and it works great)

Spirit of the labrynth comes in for games 2 and 3 right? what about rhox war monk?

I tried the curious obsession list and went 3-1 with it at fnm, I think it's okay but not great. (I think I still prefer the original list) It has potential where you can slow down jund enough with both thalia's. And everything else operates at instant speed or protects ya threats. The obsession list seems like it is SO MUCH WORSE against tron than the stock list.

Last time I played it was right after the unban and he had 4 Bolt/2 Push and no, it felt borderline unwinnable. Especially considering I'm about as good at drawing Collected Company as I am at drawing Dark Ritual.

Kira seems even less playable than it was now that Abrupt Decay is a card again. I guess she probably gets better in the sideboard but the other 2 cards I wanted to try seem better to me.

Rattlechains depends on what's going on. I usually try to hold them in the grindy matchups so I can actually get value out of them unless I have a strong Geist draw.

Why would I have Spirit of the Labyrinth in my modern deck? If you mean Eidolon, then yes, BBE is the main reason it's even in my 75. War Monk depends on what I have to take out but I generally find it slow and derpy and extremely easy to brick against Jund.

Given my current sideboard I'd probably go

-2 Geist -2 Image
+2 EE +1 Eidolon +whatever 15th card I decide on

The biggest problem I have is the creatures I could put in my sideboard are so mediocre and the spells are so good that if I could sideboard the way I want I'd end up with like 22 creatures. RiP has lost a lot of its power these days. I could see cutting 1 or both.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Last time I played it was right after the unban and he had 4 Bolt/2 Push and no, it felt borderline unwinnable. Especially considering I'm about as good at drawing Collected Company as I am at drawing Dark Ritual.

Kira seems even less playable than it was now that Abrupt Decay is a card again. I guess she probably gets better in the sideboard but the other 2 cards I wanted to try seem better to me.

Rattlechains depends on what's going on. I usually try to hold them in the grindy matchups so I can actually get value out of them unless I have a strong Geist draw.

Why would I have Spirit of the Labyrinth in my modern deck? If you mean Eidolon, then yes, BBE is the main reason it's even in my 75. War Monk depends on what I have to take out but I generally find it slow and derpy and extremely easy to brick against Jund.

Given my current sideboard I'd probably go

-2 Geist -2 Image
+2 EE +1 Eidolon +whatever 15th card I decide on

The biggest problem I have is the creatures I could put in my sideboard are so mediocre and the spells are so good that if I could sideboard the way I want I'd end up with like 22 creatures. RiP has lost a lot of its power these days. I could see cutting 1 or both.

Yeah, I absolutely meant eidolon of rhetoric not spirit of the labrynth, I'm an idiot.

I agree about the rattlechains play, but there is definitely a time and a place for the T2 rattlechains on opponents upkeep. Especially if it leaves you open to flashing in a geist. My sideboard is usually 2 image out, 2 eidolon in.

Honestly, I think it's weird that we have had opposite experiences against jund, I feel like I've been 70% against the deck even after the unbans. But I am also very good at drawing collected company.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Generic Pile of $2500 Good Cards while also not dying to 1 mana 5/5s and 2 mana 5/6s.

you forgot 1 mana 10/10s :smug:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

you forgot 1 mana 10/10s :smug:

Dies to Lightning Bolt, unplayable.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Haha just kidding 1 mana Negate IDIOT TAKE TEN

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Uhh GDS is only like a 1k pile of good cards

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

Uhh GDS is only like a 1k pile of good cards

Dies to Jund. Unplayable.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
There's this Eldrazi deck with Elder Deep-Fiend. I don't think I can resist the temptation to play some deep-fried in modern. Even if it is a bit of a meme.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i'm the four serum powders

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i'm the four serum powders

I'm the four Eternal Scourges that get cast from exile after a Serum Powder mulligan.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Relic/Scourge was "cute" in Skred too until someone won a GP with it.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Star Man posted:

I'm the four Eternal Scourges that get cast from exile after a Serum Powder mulligan.

i mean

okay

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

GoutPatrol posted:

Relic/Scourge was "cute" in Skred too until someone won a GP with it.

I have done this before many times.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Star Man posted:

I have done this before many times.

I've never even day 2d a GP.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

suicidesteve posted:

I've never even day 2d a GP.

I have only been to one Grand Prix and went 0-2-2 drop on day one.

I was talking about the Eternal Scourge/Relic of Progenitus combo.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Star Man posted:

I was talking about the Eternal Scourge/Relic of Progenitus combo.

jokes, what are they?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Speaking of silly decks I saw this monoblue draw-go list that is probably very bad but I would love to try it out if I already had the cards.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Pontius Pilate posted:

jokes, what are they?

My sense of humor was where the gunshot-inflicted hole in my head is.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

C-Euro posted:

Speaking of silly decks I saw this monoblue draw-go list that is probably very bad but I would love to try it out if I already had the cards.

I'm the Piracy Charms :v:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Star Man posted:

Same but I 2/3 dropped and my first round opponent was a no-show.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
2-0’d jund with bant spirits again today. Went 3-1 at modern lost the last round to blue moon after a real squeaker of a series.

Also beat affinity and drizzy tron

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I can’t wait to take my pile of ancient, mediocre cards to play on Thursday.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

the serum powders are bad. for the benefit of Star Man, I am not joking about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Anyone messing around with mardu pyromancer in this brave new modern world? All the hype got taken out of its sails almost immediately thanks to the unbans and I’m curious what a list looks like these days.