Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It does resemble a lot of other G films in that the humans are the most boring parts of the film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, and since it's almost entirely setup for a trilogy, it's almost ALL HUMANS.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The planet's entire ecosystem is derived from Godzilla's genes in the anime movie. This somehow results in dragons that look like flying metal turds and plantlife that can slice through metal.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

It does resemble a lot of other G films in that the humans are the most boring parts of the film

Most other Godzilla films, and by most I mean exactly all of them, don't have literally 80% of the dialogue be detailed mind numbing worthless exposition on how poo poo works and why it works and what they're going to do to save the day

I talked about this when the thing first came out, but that is one sin you cannot accuse ANY other godzilla movie for. I think the 98 American Godzilla is an intolerable wreck of a film that is so painfully Pre 9-11 that it's distracting, but even it didn't spare more than a few seconds on "I guess a lizard got radiation and also can have babies by itself"

Any time you turn in a Godzilla script where most of it is boring rear end talking about *UTTER BULLSHIT* that doesn't even begin to make sense or be entertaining or informative, burn it and start anew.

The other 20% of the dialogue is from a literally insane sociopath who gets most of the people unfortunate enough to be working under him killed and all methods for them to get to safety destroyed in his single minded vendetta that everyone agrees is moronic at best.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Burkion posted:

The other 20% of the dialogue is from a literally insane sociopath who gets most of the people unfortunate enough to be working under him killed and all methods for them to get to safety destroyed in his single minded vendetta that everyone agrees is moronic at best.

They had a very open opportunity to just make Moby Dick but in space and with Godzilla(s).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

K. Waste posted:

They had a very open opportunity to just make Moby Dick but in space and with Godzilla(s).

*THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN SO MUCH BETTER*

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, and since it's almost entirely setup for a trilogy, it's almost ALL HUMANS.

You forgot the space-elves and space-dwarves.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
to be honest, I feel like Gen Urobuchi is the #1 problem with anime Godzilla. he's just, straight up, not the kind of writer you want doing this; he trades in super-talky grimdark stuff with insane amounts of technobabble and/or magibabble, which is... not a good fit with Godzilla.

like, Fate/zero has a lot of stuff that's exactly what I want out of anime Godzilla, but I can basically guarantee that stuff was Nasu and not Urobuchi; the stuff with Urobuchi's hallmarks is pretty much people talking to each other for 10+ minutes at a time while walking around in circles menacingly, whereas the Nasu part is Queen Arthur shooting laser beams out of Excalibur at a kaiju-sized Lovecraftian horror, and Gilgamesh dogfighting Lancelot (who has commandeered an F-15 by surfing on top of it, oh and did I mention Lancelot is a literal screaming black mass of anger in the vague shape of a knight) in an ancient Babylonian UFO

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 4, 2018

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Given how much more worthless explaining there is in normal Fate compared to Zero I can't say you're really right about that. Cause that series, at least in anime form, manages to kill every single possible joke and good action beat by explaining it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I got confused in the anime when there were two space dwarf characters who looked exactly the goddamn same and sounded exactly the same as well. The only reason I realized they were different people is because they cut from one in one place to the other in a different place at teh same time.

None of the character outside of the lunatic sazaki and the elf Goji worshipper had any characterization.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Terrible Opinions posted:

Given how much more worthless explaining there is in normal Fate compared to Zero I can't say you're really right about that. Cause that series, at least in anime form, manages to kill every single possible joke and good action beat by explaining it.

I can say that is because it's based on the most boring route from the first visual novel.

The other routes go a lot heavier on the insane poo poo, and Gen has shown a predilection to the exposition that plagued the Anime Godzilla movie

Also Fate Zero was not an adaptation of a visual novel, which by their nature are super explaining poo poo heavy

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also for its part, once that VN gets all the initial explanation out of the way, it's way more interested in going on at length about food than anything else outside of insane rear end-beating

Like there's a reason we have a F/sn smiley and it's :black101: with a chef hat

:fsn:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

F/SN is 60% food 30% violence and 10% fates worse than death

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Burkion posted:

I can say that is because it's based on the most boring route from the first visual novel.

The other routes go a lot heavier on the insane poo poo, and Gen has shown a predilection to the exposition that plagued the Anime Godzilla movie
Unlimited bladeworks is the most boring route in the visual novel too?

I hadn't really seen it as that bad in Psycho Pass or Madoka but that might have been co-writers reigning him in.

Burkion posted:

Also Fate Zero was not an adaptation of a visual novel, which by their nature are super explaining poo poo heavy
That really shouldn't be an excuse.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Fate/Zeros literal second or third scene was just a guy standing in a the center of a room while another man walked in a circle around him explaining the premise.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It was. I was amazed that UBW was somehow worse.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

like, Fate/zero has a lot of stuff that's exactly what I want out of anime Godzilla, but I can basically guarantee that stuff was Nasu and not Urobuchi;

Neither nasu or urobuchi were in major positions on zero the show besides the latter writing the source material. Same goes for nasu on all shows (besides the currently airing one where he wrote the first draft of the script) besides coming up with requested extra material sometimes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Motto posted:

Neither nasu or urobuchi were in major positions on zero the show besides the latter writing the source material. Same goes for nasu on all shows (besides the currently airing one where he wrote the first draft of the script) besides coming up with requested extra material sometimes.

i mean i assume the show didn't pull everything out of its rear end :psyduck: while i haven't read the F/Z light novels, i've read stuff written by both Nasu and Urobuchi and the wild-rear end action is largely more similar to the action in Nasu's stuff whereas the constant loving neverending GODDAMN MONOLOGUING is more an Urobuchi thing from what I can tell

e: back on topic, I almost want to see what Nasu's take on Godzilla would be like :stonklol:

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 5, 2018

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It was. I was amazed that UBW was somehow worse.

nice username post combo

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'm sorry that I don't like the Star Trek Voyager of anime.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I'm sorry that I don't like the Star Trek Voyager of anime.

Now that is NOT fair

Star Trek Voyager made their different alien races very distinct and original.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
The Oscars were last night, and Haruo Nakajima got himself included on the In Memoriam list, which was nice to see.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
As much as I like Psycho-Pass it's the only thing that's great because Urobuchi wrote it. Madoka's script is fine but its strength is its visual aesthetic, and everything else he's written ranges from bland to "I'm probably on a watchlist just for knowing what this is."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Thunderbolt Fantasy is cool, but that's because of badass puppet fights

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mothra aside, is there a single Godzilla foil monster design as good as the monsters in Gamera 2 and 3 (the good Gamera 2 and 3)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DeimosRising posted:

Mothra aside, is there a single Godzilla foil monster design as good as the monsters in Gamera 2 and 3 (the good Gamera 2 and 3)

Ghidorah.

If you don't think Ghidorah is not one of the best kaiju designs of all time, I just don't even know what to say to you.

Legion and Iris are great, but they're really busy, complicated designs. It's hard to streamline them down without losing who they are.

Ghidorah is so perfect.

Three headed, two wings, no arms, two legs, two tails, golden, spits lightning.

There's a reason why Ghidorah is almost as well known as Godzilla himself.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

As much as I like Psycho-Pass it's the only thing that's great because Urobuchi wrote it. Madoka's script is fine but its strength is its visual aesthetic, and everything else he's written ranges from bland to "I'm probably on a watchlist just for knowing what this is."

the thing that frustrates the gently caress out of me with Urobuchi is that a lot of his actual best ideas are in stuff I can't recommend to anybody else because it contains :yikes: as all hell stuff

like, he wrote a VN called Kikokugai: The Cyber Slayer that's a pretty quick read (maybe like 4-5 hours?) and spends 95% of that runtime being... honestly badass as gently caress. it's lurid as all hell and has a lot of weird gore and sex, but it's all pretty much in the "late 80s/early 90s OVA" zone content-wise for the first 95% of the runtime, and the plot is about a badass going on a vengeance-rampage through Blade Runner Hong Kong loving up cyborgs with kung fu worked up specifically to fry cyborg bits so it's pretty engaging if you're into fun trash. like, up to a certain point i was thinking it'd make a really goddamn sweet movie.

but then it gets to the final fight and BAM SISTER-loving OUT OF NOWHERE :wtc:

e: and then there's Saya no Uta, which is a minefield. if that name means anything to you, you probably already know why, and if it doesn't, you're probably genuinely better off not knowing, and that is coming from the actual king of blabbing about poo poo nobody wants to hear about. i don't really want to think about Saya no Uta most of the time, because it's horrifying on about a hundred different levels, some intentional and some unintentional, and the most i'll say in depth is that i'm pretty sure it's what Tuxedo is directly referring to with that last bit in quotes.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 10, 2018

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Burkion posted:

Ghidorah.

If you don't think Ghidorah is not one of the best kaiju designs of all time, I just don't even know what to say to you.

Legion and Iris are great, but they're really busy, complicated designs. It's hard to streamline them down without losing who they are.

Ghidorah is so perfect.

Three headed, two wings, no arms, two legs, two tails, golden, spits lightning.

There's a reason why Ghidorah is almost as well known as Godzilla himself.

The only thing I would do to improve KG, is reinstate the originally planned design of the light rainbow shade to the wings. In early production photos with it it looks rad as hell and totally alien.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

The only thing I would do to improve KG, is reinstate the originally planned design of the light rainbow shade to the wings. In early production photos with it it looks rad as hell and totally alien.

Here's hoping for the MonsterVerse.

GOD I WANNA SEE WHAT THOSE BOYS (and girl) LOOK LIKE

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: and then there's Saya no Uta, which is a minefield. if that name means anything to you, you probably already know why, and if it doesn't, you're probably genuinely better off not knowing, and that is coming from the actual king of blabbing about poo poo nobody wants to hear about. i don't really want to think about Saya no Uta most of the time, because it's horrifying on about a hundred different levels, some intentional and some unintentional, and the most i'll say in depth is that i'm pretty sure it's what Tuxedo is directly referring to with that last bit in quotes.

Saya no Uta is mostly an adaptation of volume six of Osamu Tezuka's Pheonix, so not only is it embarrassingly crass and juvenile, it isn't even original.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I would go with "disgusting" more than "crass and juvenile."

e: also, wait, WHAT? I think I need to read Phoenix :psyboom:

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Are any of the Ultraman series or movies any good? I've watched a few episodes from the older shows from the 60s' and older 70s' and they're good for some goofy fun, but are any of the modern entries on the same level as the better Godzilla or Gamera movies?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dylazodelan posted:

Are any of the Ultraman series or movies any good? I've watched a few episodes from the older shows from the 60s' and older 70s' and they're good for some goofy fun, but are any of the modern entries on the same level as the better Godzilla or Gamera movies?

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEssssssssss

Hello yes, hi how are you I am Burkion, this is me.

Okay so what you're looking for is Ultraman Nexus, maybe Mebius if you don't mind something a bit more Shonen-style. Tiga is good but slow, which I guess fits with Heisei fairly well.

Gaia is a piece of poo poo bag awful garbage poopie thing I wrote a whole thing on it

If you like the older shows, give Max a shot. It's basically an anthology Ultraman show, so just pick random episodes that seem interesting to you. The Takashei Miike episodes are Delish

After Mebius the quality of the show takes a bit of a tumble- they fall more in line with Rider and Sentai contemporaries. Which is fine but yeah.

The one you are after is Ultraman Nexus, and its movie Ultraman the Next, which entirely works as a stand alone film if you'd like.

Track that down, you won't be disappointed.

UltraSeven X is also pretty good, though ultimately a bit flawed. It's got some fun things for it though and is the first adult themed Ultra series.

If you like 60s sci fi, give UltraSeven another shot as well. It's purestrain Star Trek but with a murderous super hero at the helm, and the finale is one of The Best Toku finales of all time.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I highly recommend both original Ultraman and Ultraseven series. The production is the best of its era thanks to legendary special effects director Eiji Tsuburaya. Plus it's fun spotting where they reused old Toho movie costumes by repainting them and slapping dorsal fins on them.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You can hop on over here if you have any more indepth questions https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833101

Trust me I can and will go on at length about this.

And yes Tsuburaya just made Ultraman and UltraSeven. The quality hit that the franchise took with Return of Ultraman on, despite being made years later on presumably higher production values, is palpable.

Quite a few recent Ultraman series can be found over at Cruchyroll, legally subbed. Including Nexus! The subs are a little rough but they're the best you're going to find.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
God I wish Ultraman were streaming anywhere but this bizarre "ConTV" service.

Hulu used to have it, Shout! used to have it, but no.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
How's Ultra Q? I read an episode guide in G-Fan as a young'n and just from memory it sounds exactly my poo poo.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I've only watched the first episode, but it seemed pretty good what I saw. No Sentai Shenanigans, just like, literal monster of the week I believe.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Basically it's the Twilight Zone, only with some recurring characters. And some of the episodes are just straight up Monster MOvies done in 24 minutes.

Some of them aren't even BAD monster movies either. The ice dude's two episodes are pretty great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Cool, thanks yall, I'll give some of those series you listed a shot.