Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m just about done with JJ S2 now. Are the other Marvel shows even worth watching? I’ve avoided Defenders because I haven’t seen the other shows. I heard Iron Fist was stupid. I know absolutely zero about Luke Cage other than he was in JJ but I don’t remember his character at all so he must not have been remarkable. I don’t know anything about Daredevil other than watching that awful movie when I was a teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Daredevil S1 is from the guy who made Spartacus and it is a legit good TV show. S2 is pretty ok to great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

First 1.5 seasons of Daredevil are really good. First half of Luke Cage is great. Iron Fist is bad, Defenders is worse. Punisher I thought was really good but not as good as Jessica Jones which is my favorite of the Marvel Netflix shows.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Both Daredevil seasons and Punisher were my favorites, but they also focused on kungfu and angrily firing guns respectively. Not really any high-concepts or goals, just varying degrees of broken people and violence.

Iron Fist is about an adult manchild needing to grow the gently caress up and punch people in the goddamn face, but between 13 episodes and The Defenders' 6 more, the writing staff failed somehow. Also the fight choreography is somewhere around 1990s direct-to-video trash. Not 80s where it'd be campy, violent, and exploitative, but 90s gritty garbage that takes itself seriously.

Luke Cage just wants to be left alone to sort some poo poo out and clean up his neighborhood. Too slowly paced and super-strength on a TV FX budget never looks good.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
I'm going to be the Devil's Advocate :v: and say that Iron Fist is not that terrible, just that the production really dropped the ball with rushing it to commit to the schedule (re: the fights coreography), and forcing Danny Rand's character to be more ragey to better fit with the other Defenders.

JJ season 1 was good, but it leaned heavily on Kilgrave and how you deal with someone like him. Kind of the same for Luke Cage, with how Cottonmouth ended up as a more charismatic villain than Diamondback and Maria.

For Defenders they should've set-up the Hand more in JJ and LC, not just in Daredevil's (mostly) second half of the S2, and Iron Fist.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I legit think that same basic idea for IF, and the cast, would have made a pretty drat good season of TV if anyone other than Scott Buck did it-- and if they actually had time to make it not look like poo poo.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Kal-L posted:

I'm going to be the Devil's Advocate :v: and say that Iron Fist is not that terrible, just that the production really dropped the ball with rushing it to commit to the schedule (re: the fights coreography), and forcing Danny Rand's character to be more ragey to better fit with the other Defenders.

JJ season 1 was good, but it leaned heavily on Kilgrave and how you deal with someone like him. Kind of the same for Luke Cage, with how Cottonmouth ended up as a more charismatic villain than Diamondback and Maria.

For Defenders they should've set-up the Hand more in JJ and LC, not just in Daredevil's (mostly) second half of the S2, and Iron Fist.

I've recently re-watched DD S1 and S2, JJ S1, LC and then the Defenders. They all did not seem all to bad the second time around, especially since I now get who is who and what the general plot is about so I don't get lost or much confused about that and can focus on characters and other details (humor, character motives, direction).

The Defenders was (still) the weakest one but I wouldn't have wanted more set-up for the Hand in JJ and LC. That was not very well handled in most of DD -- easily connected with the low points of DD S2 and it doesn't seem that it could fit in the themes of JJ and LC organically or otherwise.

Iron Fist is what broke me upon rewatch. I reached episode 3 - I think- and decided that I just can't do it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Malcolm looks distractingly like a TV character. There's something weirdly artificial about the way he looks and dresses, its uncanny.

Reminds me of Meadow's boyfriend. "But on your application to Columbia, you didn't check Jewish did you?"

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

AbstractNapper posted:

Iron Fist is what broke me upon rewatch. I reached episode 3 - I think- and decided that I just can't do it.

The first two episodes are some of the worst television I have ever watched. and then the show goes from absolute garbage to aggressively mediocre, and then gets to "kind of good" near the end, and then ends with a wet fart by ripping off the ending of Iron Man 1, complete with a rooftop battle against a father figure.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AbstractNapper posted:

The Defenders was (still) the weakest one but I wouldn't have wanted more set-up for the Hand in JJ and LC. That was not very well handled in most of DD -- easily connected with the low points of DD S2 and it doesn't seem that it could fit in the themes of JJ and LC organically or otherwise.

Yeah, I thought DD2 had accomplished the impossible by making a gang of mystical ninjas boring, and then Defenders was all "hold my beer."

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I know Jessica Jones screwed me up because I was watching black panther last night, I left right before the climatic fight scene and assumed there was still 40 minutes of the movie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Timby posted:

Yeah, I thought DD2 had accomplished the impossible by making a gang of mystical ninjas boring, and then Defenders was all "hold my beer."

A big part of that, in my opinion, was Elektra. A fine actress doing the best she could with a terribly written and utilized character.

And I'm still baffled by Sigourney Weaver's character. How do you land her for something like Defenders, then waste her so badly?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I was honestly not that bothered by anything in DD2, which seemed to have more action than most of the Marvel shows.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Only reason I watched all of Iron Fist was the villain and him gleefully torturing his son (emotionally).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The problem seems to be the production schedule. They said on the set an iron fist at 20 to 30 minutes to choreograph the fight scenes, which means that you really don’t get second drafts on things. Consider the defenders would be even harder because your schedule has to float around six+ huge central actors.

They say most bad movies or just good movies that ran out of time or money.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was unique for Iron Fist because production started incredibly late.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If I wasn't invested enough to finish JJ S1 is it worth watching it to get to season 2?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s only worth watching on its own merits. If you didn’t like the first season, you won’t like the second season. Season One really picks up in the end, though—if the pacing killed it for you, you might try sticking it out.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
This season sucks. I made it until the short haired lawyer started doing her weird white lady dance while tripping on Molly and peaced out..hopefully Luke Cage S2 is not this bad

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Show Bad, Reports Man Who Watched An Episode And A Half

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Who keeps watching a show after 1.5 hours of not enjoying it?

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

SHOAH NUFF posted:

This season sucks. I made it until the short haired lawyer started doing her weird white lady dance while tripping on Molly and peaced out..hopefully Luke Cage S2 is not this bad

You've watched an entire season of this show, but don't even remember the character's name?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Nope. Sorry :(

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Who keeps watching a show after 1.5 hours of not enjoying it?

A show has to be absolutely abominable for me to give it less than three episodes once I’ve started watching. That’s how long most shows take to find a groove.

To date, the only show bad enough for me to stop after fewer than that was Republic of Doyle.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Hyperbole?

On my Internet?!?

:ohdear:

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Malcolm looks distractingly like a TV character. There's something weirdly artificial about the way he looks and dresses, its uncanny.

I think what they were angling for was to show how much better his life is now that he isn't a drug addict and is working for Jessica. But they went too far, and ended up looking like a CW show character.

Cythereal posted:

And I'm still baffled by Sigourney Weaver's character. How do you land her for something like Defenders, then waste her so badly?

Agree on that. I kept expecting her to do more than just give speeches, and show why she is the leader of the Hand. :(

dont even fink about it posted:

I was honestly not that bothered by anything in DD2, which seemed to have more action than most of the Marvel shows.

Daredevil + Punisher action = Great!

Daredevil + Ninjas action = Meh.

Renoistic posted:

Only reason I watched all of Iron Fist was the villain and him gleefully torturing his son (emotionally).

The Meachums were one of the best parts of the show. Another was Colleen and her arc.

Was I the only one disappointed with how they always showed Harold doing all that physical training, only for the final showdown to be a rooftop shoot-out?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phylodox posted:

To date, the only show bad enough for me to stop after fewer than that was Republic of Doyle.

lmao if i may inquire: what made you want to give it a chance in the first place? it's so painfully canadian at even the most broad glance

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

bring back old gbs posted:

lmao if i may inquire: what made you want to give it a chance in the first place? it's so painfully canadian at even the most broad glance

As a Canadian, 60% of my television viewing has to be Canadian produced content.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

dont even fink about it posted:

The only thing that bothered me about DDS2 was the changes to Elektra's character, and the fights being kind of poo poo tbh compared to what DeKnight delivered for the first season. It also kind of started looking cheaper after the Punisher stuff was through imo, but I haven't watched it in a while so I could be misremembering and just conflating the visuals with it being less good (but still fun to watch) after the first half.

Elodie Yung being a drat fine choice to play Elektra just ended up making me more annoyed with the changes. Such a waste.

e:

Renoistic posted:

The Meachums were great. IF had a handful of really good pieces and fun ideas, but given to the man who had preiously taken the character of Dexter and misunderstood the assignment so hard he looked at him and said, 'oh, this man is basically a selfless superhero and really good friend'. Oh and he was given idk like two days to make it or something lmao

Oddly, I think IF is the best paced Marvel Netflix show since DDS1, but it doesn't matter if it flows p well if the stuff it's giving you is an exercise in extreme mediocrity 85% of the time.

e2:

SHOAH NUFF posted:

the short haired lawyer started doing her weird white lady dance while tripping on Molly

This makes me actually want to watch JJ S2. That and all the hilarious poo poo everyone keeps saying about Trish, who was my favourite part of S1 along with Jeri.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 15, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Trish is the worst part of the show.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Well her character becomes Hellcat in the comics, some chick who I simply assume beats rear end for a side-job. Not familiar with the heroine.

In S1 we either knew that or looked up her character on a wiki (I'm the latter) and have been waiting for her to have a mini origin story where she stops being a self-centered wannabe heroine/bitch. And now that we went through S2 and they doubled down on her insufferable ability to force herself into other people's personal business, some of us want her exorcised from the show because her character doesn't deserve redemption or her dreams to come true anymore.

As for peak Malcolm. I'm gonna guess it was when they decided to have him lift those tiny weights in a fit of rage so he'd be all sweaty and manly smelling for the female character they threw at him. I don't watch any CW shows and never have, but from my understanding of hammed up drama for young adults and teenagers, it's a perfect fit.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Andrigaar posted:

Well her character becomes Hellcat in the comics, some chick who I simply assume beats rear end for a side-job. Not familiar with the heroine.

In S1 we either knew that or looked up her character on a wiki (I'm the latter) and have been waiting for her to have a mini origin story where she stops being a self-centered wannabe heroine/bitch. And now that we went through S2 and they doubled down on her insufferable ability to force herself into other people's personal business, some of us want her exorcised from the show because her character doesn't deserve redemption or her dreams to come true anymore.

As for peak Malcolm. I'm gonna guess it was when they decided to have him lift those tiny weights in a fit of rage so he'd be all sweaty and manly smelling for the female character they threw at him. I don't watch any CW shows and never have, but from my understanding of hammed up drama for young adults and teenagers, it's a perfect fit.

He was lifting to deal with restlessness since he needs to do something to deal with his addiction and he was frustrated with how Jessica was treating him.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sigourney Weaver should have been Mephisto and the Demon worshipped by The Hand. Have their plan be using a resurrected Electra as the Vessel/Sacrifice for the Summoning. Keep the hand unrelated to K’un Lun and don’t make Madame Gao one of the members.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

i really liked s1 of JJ but idk how i feel about s2. the zombie hulk showing up was unexpected and pretty fun. trish was horrific and i hated the trish show. should have just had the meachums show up

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I finished S2 and it was ok. The last three or four episodes seemed really unnecessary. The characters didn't know what to do after resolving the plot, but neither did the writers.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Thought S1 of JJ was pretty bad except for the villain so I think I'll just skip S2 altogether if it's somehow even worse

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Patsy is everything wrong with white feminism. I walked out of the room in anger when she pointed the gun at Malcom to have Karl give her powers, she’s willing to violently harm and possibly risk a POC life to meet her ends. Which jives perfectly with every criticism of white feminism. Seriously gently caress Patsy.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

Patsy is everything wrong with white feminism. I walked out of the room in anger when she pointed the gun at Malcom to have Karl give her powers, she’s willing to violently harm and possibly risk a POC life to meet her ends. Which jives perfectly with every criticism of white feminism. Seriously gently caress Patsy.

What about her actions make it about feminism?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
She was pepped up on goofballs.

Roided up on man juice.... so... oh, now i see. She wants to be a man.

I feel like "white" is redundant if you're calling out feminism though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

None of her behavior has anything to do with feminism. She’s a white addict.