Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Ahaha there's a NYT article answering your question Iadron!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/13/world/asia/china-eye-roll-liang-xiangyi.html

New York Times posted:

A Reporter Rolled Her Eyes, and China’s Internet Broke

By Paul Mozur

March 13, 2018
SHANGHAI — It was the eye roll seen across China.

As the annual meeting of the country’s legislature stretched into its second week, the event’s canned political pageantry and obsequious (and often scripted) media questions seemingly proved too much for one journalist on Tuesday.

With a fellow reporter’s fawning question to a Chinese official pushing past the 30-second mark, Liang Xiangyi, of the financial news site Yicai, began scoffing to herself. Then she turned to scrutinize the questioner in disbelief.

Looking her up and down, Ms. Liang rolled her eyes with such concentrated disgust, it seemed only natural that her entire head followed her eyes backward as she looked away in revulsion.

Captured by China’s national news broadcaster, CCTV, the moment spread quickly across Chinese social media.

It was a rare puncturing of the artifice surrounding the widely watched, intentionally dull National People’s Congress. The carefully choreographed event, at which top leaders make speeches and delegates rubber-stamp new policy, lends a veneer of democracy to China’s autocratic system of governance. This year, it has drawn heightened attention for a constitutional amendment that abolished term limits for President Xi Jinping.

On Chinese social media, GIFs and other online riffs inspired by Ms. Liang’s epic eye roll quickly proliferated, and by evening they were being deleted by government censors. Ms. Liang’s name became the most-censored term on Weibo, the microblogging platform. On Taobao, the freewheeling online marketplace, vendors began selling T-shirts and cellphone cases bearing her image.

In one video, three men did a deadpan recreation of the incident. On Ms. Liang’s Weibo account — which quickly soared to 100,000 followers and kept climbing — supporters flooded her with jokes and comments of support.

“You are the only thing I remember since the beginning of the National People’s Congress,” one commenter wrote. Another saluted “an eye-rolling representing all people who don’t dare to do so.”

On the messaging app WeChat, people jokingly separated Ms. Liang and the questioner into two parties based on the color of their clothing. Many said they supported the blue party, in reference to Ms. Liang. The questioner, Zhang Huijun, wore red — the color of China and the Chinese Communist Party.

Before posing her question to the government official, Xiao Yaqing, Ms. Zhang had introduced herself as the operating director of American Multimedia Television U.S.A., a Los Angeles-based broadcaster that has had partnerships with Chinese state-run television in the past, according to its website. Its president, Jason Quin, also lists himself on LinkedIn as the president of a Los Angeles Confucius Institute, organizations supported by Beijing that promote Chinese culture and propaganda overseas.

News outlets with such ties to the Chinese government are often chosen to ask questions of China’s rarely available political leaders at the National People’s Congress, while more mainstream local and foreign outlets are seldom called on. Neither Ms. Zhang’s employer nor Ms. Liang’s responded to a request for comment on the incident Tuesday.

For the record, Ms. Zhang’s question was as follows:

“The transformation of the responsibility of supervision for state assets is a topic of universal concern. Therefore, as the director of the State-Owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission of the State Council, what new moves will you make in 2018? This year marks the 40th anniversary of the Reform and Opening-up Policy, and our country is going to further extend its openness to foreign countries. With General Secretary of the Chinese Communist Party Xi proposing the One Belt One Road Initiative, state-owned enterprises have increased investment to countries along the route of One Belt One Road, so how can the overseas assets of state-owned enterprises be effectively supervised to prevent loss of assets? What mechanisms have we introduced so far, and what’s the result of our supervision? Please summarize for us, thank you.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
thanks

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
https://twitter.com/levon_whiteguy/status/973712998132080640

my wife said this is all the rage in china right now. you put the plastic bag in there so you can just throw the bag and the water out when your infant is done swimming around like this

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

I wonder if we will now have literal examples now of "throwing the baby out with the bathwater"

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

angel opportunity posted:

my wife said this is all the rage in china right now. you put the plastic bag in there so you can just throw the bag and the water out when your infant is done swimming around like this

Sink playtime with babies isn't a new thing, but I guess the plastic bag is. What's wrong with just letting it go down the drain like normal? Is this a no why situation?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

They eat vegetables cleaned in that sink.

I guess.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Bleach exists, tho.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah I mean don't put the baby in the sink directly before or after preparing dinner, just wash your drat sink

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

Western media had two kinds of China coverage: Bad China and Weird China. The truth is though that as much as they're authoritarian bastards and Xi Jinping has declared himself president for life, they're still leaving us in the dust. This is because they recognize Facts > Feelings

lol what

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
I wonder how many babies have been choked out by that neck flotation thing. Hell, that second baby might be dead for all we know.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't know a noncreepy way to ask this question but is your experience biased by your self-reported giant boobs or do they just stare at all foreign ladies regardless

One of the many social problems in Japan is how completely normalized getting assaulted on a train is if you are a girl/woman. My partner is from Kyoto and her and all her friends had ‘regulars’.

Exhibit A in why my daughter grew up in Canada.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

The TL;DR is that the woman in red (asking the question) was from a bogus "foreign media" outlet that at least has heavy ties to the Chinese government, if it isn't owned outright by them. There's an image floating around from Google Street View that supposedly shows its "headquarters" as being a storefront in a dilapidated-looking strip mall in Seattle with a super generic sign like 'MMTT Enterprises'.

There's a surprising number of these fake "foreign" journalists around at big events like this in China, who conveniently get allocated the spots for questions from foreign media at press conferences so that they can lob softballs, instead of an actual foreign media outlet like the BBC or the New York Times who might ask something potentially awkward for the government.

The woman in blue was an actual Chinese journalist from an actual Chinese media outlet, rolling her eyes at both what a ridiculous softball it was and also at the pretentious phrasing the woman in red was using. (I haven't listened to a clip with audio but apparently this "American" journalist also said 我们中国 ("our China") while she was asking her question.)

When I first saw the clip I thought the woman in blue was being a snobby bitch, but after I talked to people here and found out more I did a complete 180 and now think she totally owns.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dr.Radical posted:

Can we go back to talking about the five piece suit? Jesus.

n > 4, where ”n” is “pieces of the suit”

(USER WAS BANNED FROM WEIBO FOR THIS POST)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The NY Times editorial section has gotten weird over the past few years. Here's a new piece about the Chinese economy:

quote:

China’s extraordinary growth over the past few decades has spawned two major lines of analysis. One school of thought holds that China is a rising economic power poised to conquer the world. The other argues that China’s economy has become so distorted that it is bound to collapse or, at least, as a former United States Treasury secretary suggested, “regress to the mean.”

Both views are mistaken.

For one thing, China has never been a normal economy. It experienced an average of nearly 10 percent growth rates for almost four decades, a record; it is the first developing nation to become a great power. So why couldn’t it keep defying expectations?

What some take to be the Chinese economy’s weaknesses have, in fact, been strengths. Unbalanced growth isn’t evidence of a looming risk so much as a sign of successful industrialization. Surging debt levels are a marker of financial deepening rather than profligate spending. Corruption has spurred, not stalled, growth.

At least so far. The central question isn’t whether China might continue to confound norms so much as what, precisely, is required for it to do so. And that, as ever, hinges on whether the Chinese government can strike the right balance between state intervention and market forces.

Centralized authoritarian power has its benefits, including the ability for those who have it, at least in theory, to correct course rapidly. This has allowed China’s leaders to put the economy on a more sustainable growth path in recent years. The gross domestic product growth rate rebounded last year. Foreign reserves are back up as well. Wages have increased. The recent abolition of term limits for the president and vice-president’s terms gives President Xi Jinping more time and leeway to promote his vision of a more prosperous, modern and powerful China, and with the help of trusted advisers: His former corruption czar, Wang Qishan, is expected to be named vice-president and Liu He vice-premier in charge of the economy.

Skeptics about China’s future usually point to the country’s swelling debt. China’s overall debt-to-G.D.P. ratio exceeds 250 percent — but that is a fairly average level: higher than that of most emerging-market economies; lower than that of most high-income countries. More worrisome, though, is the fact that it increased by more than 100 percentage points, or nearly doubled, over the past decade.

The International Monetary Fund has cautioned that other economies that experienced such rapidly rising debt ratios — Brazil and South Korea a few decades ago, and several European countries more recently — eventually succumbed to a financial crisis. Why would China be any different?

One reason is that not all debt is created equal.

As some of the optimists note, China’s debt is public, not private, which means that the risks are largely borne by the state, which has deeper pockets. The borrowing is largely domestic, rather than external. And despite a surge in mortgages, Chinese households have a low overall debt burden compared to their counterparts elsewhere. For all its heady growth, China’s financial system also remains relatively simple, without the exotic securitization that nearly brought down the American economy a decade ago.

China’s debt ratio also seems more worrisome than it really is because its nature is often misunderstood.

China’s banks are no longer just serving state actors; now they also serve the private sector, notably after the privatization of state-owned housing in the late 1990s and early 2000s created a broad-based commercial property market. As much as two-thirds of credit expansion between 2005 and 2013 — including via unofficial or so-called shadow banking — went into property-related assets, helping establish a market price for land. Thus, rapid credit growth largely reflects an increasing financial sophistication rather than a property bubble or wasteful investments.

Still, the official figures can appear to suggest otherwise. By my calculations, property prices in China have grown sixfold since 2004. But property transactions are not included in gross domestic product assessments — which helps explain why debt levels have surged while G.D.P. has not.

That said, high debt levels do represent some fundamental weaknesses. As I detail in my last book, the tax revenues of local governments have not kept pace with their social expenditures, prompting those authorities to borrow from banks to fund public services. China’s large debt isn’t a debt problem so much as a fiscal problem in disguise.

The growing commercial role of local governments has, in turn, multiplied opportunities for graft. But this problem, too, is often misunderstood.

Corruption is said to impede growth by inhibiting investment. Not so in China, where the state controls major resources, such as land and energy, yet generates lower returns on assets than the private sector does. Privatizing those resources was a nonstarter under communism, and so corruption has served as a makeshift alternative, by allowing more private actors to use state-owned resources after striking arrangements with officials. Because those actors’ practices are more profitable, the economy has benefited overall.

Some China observers also are concerned that China’s speedy growth cannot be sustained unless consumption replaces investment as the economy’s main driver. (The Chinese government appears to agree, or claims to at least.) They point out that while investment accounts for an unusually high share of gross domestic product, consumption accounts for an unusually low share.

But to say this is to misunderstand the nature of China’s unbalanced growth.

The main cause of that imbalance is urbanization. Over the past four decades China’s urbanization ratio has increased from less than 20 percent to nearly 60 percent. In the process, workers from labor-intensive rural activities have moved to more capital-intensive industrial jobs in cities. And so, yes, an ever-greater share of national income has gone into investment as a result. But corporate profits have also risen, leading to higher wages, which have spurred consumption. In fact, even as the consumption share of G.D.P. has fallen, personal consumption has grown multiples faster in China than in any other major economy.

Eventually, China’s economy will have to become more balanced, as the government well knows. But the Chinese Communist Party’s plan for that is to have the state play the “leading” role in the economy while the market plays the “decisive” role in allocating resources. Squaring that circle can be tricky.

How will China’s leaders reform state-owned enterprises, whose profitability keeps declining (especially relative to that of private firms), when they still see those companies as national champions?

Mass urbanization is expected to continue, still not out of people’s personal preferences but at the state’s behest, by way of residency restrictions, evictions and forced relocations. Yet China’s planners now seem intent on redirecting migrants from megacities to smaller cities, and this could curb economic growth: As the World Bank points out, labor productivity is much higher in larger cities than in smaller ones.

Then, there is the corruption issue, which will require another delicate balancing act. Corruption has benefited the Chinese economy by, in effect, allowing the transfer of state assets to more efficient private actors. But over time such gains are being outweighed by the social costs of bribes, wasteful expenditures and growing inequities. Allowing corruption to run rampant could undermine the legitimacy of the Chinese Communist Party. Yet combating it with draconian measures could hurt growth by discouraging both officials and entrepreneurs from taking economic risks.

Hence the importance, and sensitivity, of Mr. Xi’s signature anticorruption campaign. It has been cast as an effort to discipline errant officials, but some see it as a means for Mr. Xi to purge political opponents or exert more control over society. It seems to have been popular so far: The general public perceives local officials as taking advantage of the system, and here is the central government appearing to rectify the situation. But some warn that the National Supervision Commission, a new agency designed to institutionalize anti-graft efforts, could signal overreach.

To discourage corruption effectively, the Chinese government will eventually have to leaven the rule of the party with more rule of law. In the meantime, some practical reforms would help, including creating a civil code to define acceptable commercial practices, basic property rights and the status of private companies. More sweeping — and more politically sensitive — reforms will also be needed to ensure that private actors have more access to major resources, like land and financing, without having to rely on personal connections to local officials.

The Chinese economy’s glory days may be over, but even a 6 percent growth rate over the next decade would be remarkable. At that pace, the economy would double by 2030 and likely become the world’s largest in nominal dollar terms. (It already is the world’s largest economy in terms of purchasing power parity.)

China’s remarkable success to date can be credited in part to its leaders’ willingness to set aside communism for pragmatism. Some observers worry that Mr. Xi is now reinjecting ideology into major policies, Mao-style. But he also is concentrating power and promoting action-oriented reformers like Mr. Wang and Mr. Liu — signaling his intention to address China’s social and economic needs even as he gathers the means to do so. China may not become a normal country for some time yet.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

MetaJew posted:

Japan's staring game is on point because my girlfriend would tell me they were staring at me, but I could do a full 360 and never saw a single pair of eyes on me. And, if I did catch anyone staring at me, I would just use my gaijin laser eyes and stare back. They would then look away in shame.
When me and my friend went there we got plenty of stares but then again we were two extremely lightly clad, loud, tall and buff foreigners, with contrasting phenotypes.

Didn't feel that different from visiting Turkey, south Germany or the other places we went to tho

ocrumsprug posted:

One of the many social problems in Japan is how completely normalized getting assaulted on a train is if you are a girl/woman. My partner is from Kyoto and her and all her friends had ‘regulars’.

Exhibit A in why my daughter grew up in Canada.
I sometimes honestly wonder if they aren't the most hosed up about women there, out of the East Asians

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Imperialist Dog posted:

Ahaha there's a NYT article answering your question Iadron!

“Would the honourable gentleman agree that the government is taking the tough measures needed to secure our country’s prosperity for the next generation and, furthermore, that the opposition is a gang of thieves and scoundrels who are lucky for anything we give ‘em short of hanging?”

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

quote:

Imagine if everything you did on Facebook or Twitter counted towards a government-imposed 'citizen score'.

All your online behaviour would be analysed and assessed to come up with a measure of your online reputation, character and trustworthiness.

This could then be used by employers to decide whether to offer you a job, by banks to decide whether to give you a loan, or even by prospective partners.

Well, China is planning something like this called the Social Credit System. Details are sketchy at this stage but it is due to be up and running by 2020.

Online chat services must also now verify users' identities, credit score them, and keep a six-month log of group chats - all information that could prove useful for the Social Credit System.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43335813

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

This is the kind of stuff that makes my wife want to either identify as Korean/Japanese or crawl into a deep dark hole.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah that Sesame credit thing is wack.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Blistex posted:

This is the kind of stuff that makes my wife want to either identify as Korean/Japanese or crawl into a deep dark hole.

How would this happen in China?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How would this happen in China?

exact same way. shouting match, until like, an entire family of 40 people are in a parking spot shouting in unison.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
in china the person trying to park wouldn't have given up after a few minutes. they also would have exited car and had it blocking garage, would have caused a huge line of traffic all honking. they would have entirely lost sight of the goal of "just park somewhere and go where i wanted to go" etc.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
this is a knockoff of an episode of black mirror

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Ccs posted:

The NY Times editorial section has gotten weird over the past few years. Here's a new piece about the Chinese economy:

Well you see Chinese corruption is special and actually good, also the CCP is good and is smart as evidenced by the anti-corruption campaign

Furthermore, while China's debt is growing at an insane pace that is mathematically impossible to deal with without a decline in growth, have you considered that China is immune to math?

In conclusion, Chinese debt buildup doesn't count, because its financial system is still unsophisticated. The debt buildup also can't be a bubble, because China's financial system is increasingly sophisticated.

China is special, and we as foreigners cannot understand

Fojar38 is a distinguished fellow at the University of Hong Kong. He speaks in a British accent and is currently advising all Commonwealth governments on their China policy.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fojar38 posted:

Well you see Chinese corruption is special and actually good, also the CCP is good and is smart as evidenced by the anti-corruption campaign

Furthermore, while China's debt is growing at an insane pace that is mathematically impossible to deal with without a decline in growth, have you considered that China is immune to math?

In conclusion, Chinese debt buildup doesn't count, because its financial system is still unsophisticated. The debt buildup also can't be a bubble, because China's financial system is increasingly sophisticated.

China is special, and we as foreigners cannot understand

Fojar38 is a distinguished fellow at the University of Hong Kong. He speaks in a British accent and is currently advising all Commonwealth governments on their China policy.

The thing that always gets me is that even when the News makes a concession and admits that Chinese debt is growing at an unhealthy rate, they still assume that they have figures that are even in the same ballpark as reality. I'm sure an economist without even the slightest hint of fiscal responsibility would poo poo his pants if he had access to the real figures.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEphouqTF9M

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

:trumppop:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Known Lecher posted:

instead of an actual foreign media outlet like the BBC

If their opinion pieces are any reference, I doubt we'd notice the difference.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

lol show this to the drooling idiots in the Xi Jiping thread from a week ago who were extolling the virtues of the Chinese authoritarian model.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
QZ with the Pander Express

https://qz.com/1228061/chinas-agricultural-miracle-that-could-feed-the-planet-without-destroying-it/

money quote:

quote:

The [farmers] were skeptical, but we gained their trust, and then they depended on us—that was our greatest reward

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I've had this happen more than once with an Auntie calling dibs on a parking spot.

A good way to deal with it is to pretend you can't hear what she's saying, so she comes around the side of the car. Then you just drive forward into the spot.

Failing that, inching forward while laying on the horn so as to be as obnoxious as possible is incredibly satisfying.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
They'll just key your car or something, you cant win against crazy

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

"Chinese technology companies are no longer just copycats," Mr Lam says.

"People feel proud of the advances made and of how they affect our status in a global sense. So they are willing to try anything new."
Just? Just. LOL

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Bajaj posted:

Just? Just. LOL

China invented compass, paper and gunpowder. . . do you know it?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So they went straight for gunpowder and only finally put science points into agriculture in the modern age. This is exactly like finding out about crop rotation after everyone else in the world has been using it for a 100 years. There isn't anything to steal, you didn't need 1000 "Researchers", 10 years, $54 million, you could have pulled a farmer from Ohio and gotten better results.

You just know they are going to take this too far and start deep/over seeding, revert back to more nitrogen when an outside factor changes the yield.

Blistex posted:

China invented compass, paper and gunpowder. . . do you know it?

But not agriculture, until recently they were hunter gathers who stalked the supermarket isles.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

oohhboy posted:

But not agriculture, until recently they were hunter gathers who stalked the supermarket isles.

What about trappers?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Grape posted:

lol show this to the drooling idiots in the Xi Jiping thread from a week ago who were extolling the virtues of the Chinese authoritarian model.

Which thread? In reddit?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

After it was clear what was happening I skipped to the end to see who would lose face

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://uglychurchesofkorea.wordpress.com/

Found my new obsession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pro-click.

• Locked thread