Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Countblanc posted:

I don't know what the term "swords and sorcery" exactly embodies, but "guardians of the galaxy: but with swords and sorcery" is basically how almost everyone I've ever played D&D with has handled their game as well as the 4e comic that gets posted sometimes, and that's what I'd expect a D&D movie to be.

Swords & Sorcery is mostly pre-80s fantasy (specifically pre-Sword of Shanarra fantasy): no epic quests, no prophecies driving the plot, no farm boys rising to fight the Dark One. Its focus is the short story and the novella, rather than the novel (let alone the trilogy). It's often set against a decaying ancient world full of unknown races and forces and lost civilizations. It has much more of the Weird Tales elements to it than modern fantasy: the bizarre, the otherdimensional. Magic is typically unusual, and often a Bad Thing--a costly, dangerous thing that requires trafficking with dark forces in exchange for the power you want.

The hero is typically a brawny barbarian fighter of some kind because Conan is the archetype of this sort of story and looms over it in the same way that Tolkien looms over high fantasy or Martin over modern fantasy. Elric the anemic sorcerer warrior is a notable exception, but even then he was created in deliberate contrast to the prevailing musclebound warrior trend of the time. it's usually not group/party based, like more modern fantasy often is; at best the protagonist has a sidekick for a while.

Read Howard's The Tower of the Elephant for an excellent intro to it.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

"with certain notable exceptions"

I already acknowledged LotR a few pages ago. Yeah it was a success, but what else has there been? Eragon? Dragonheart? The new Conan was a huge flop. Saying "yeah this one franchise was hugely successful" doesn't make the case that American audiences are suddenly going to start turning out for high fantasy films

E: the closest next thing is maybe Harry Potter, and that's a pretty far cry from the DnD realm

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I already acknowledged LotR a few pages ago. Yeah it was a success, but what else has there been? Eragon? Dragonheart? The new Conan was a huge flop. Saying "yeah this one franchise was hugely successful" doesn't make the case that American audiences are suddenly going to start turning out for high fantasy films

E: the closest next thing is maybe Harry Potter, and that's a pretty far cry from the DnD realm

I think even just one highly successful 6-film franchise is pretty strong evidence against the idea that american audiences just won't go for fantasy movies. what % of movies are successes in most genres?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I think even just one highly successful 6-film franchise is pretty strong evidence against the idea that american audiences just won't go for fantasy movies. what % of movies are successes in most genres?

Superhero movies have a pretty good success rate post-2000

even terrible ones like Suicide Squad

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bedlamdan posted:

Who else is loving hype for the Lord of the Rings prequel series only on Amazon Prime :toot:

is it the Sellamillion

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

homullus posted:

is it the Sellamillion

Christopher Tolkien resigned as head of the Tolkien foundation when it was announced :ssh:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I know that Austin Walker, who GMs the Friends at the Table actual plays, has talked about how some of what they do is consciously about making for an enjoyable show and while it's still fun to play that way, requires effort or choices he wouldn't make if it wasn't being recorded.

IIRC the particular thing he mentioned is that there's less room to meander around in the game/world, and that having to push things forward so much can work to the detriment of certain styles of play.

I mean, cutting out digressions and knowing when to table something in the interest of keeping momentum going are pretty valuable skills to have, even if it's done out of convenience for a podcast. I've listened to FatT and I never felt like something was cut unfairly short just to fit in a time slot. They also play their games in the 2-4 hour recording sessions you'd expect out of an in-home session, and cut them into shorter segments for more digestible episodes. So you reach the fairly natural breakpoints you'd get whenever there's a slowdown in a regular session anyway. Austin strikes me as the type that would probably sit there and go on about all the Deep Lore he'd scribbled in a notebook if he had the time, and even in an irl game it's important to know when to inject that and when to kill your darlings.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Another example from Friends at the Table, they stop playing Technoir in favor of The Sprawl because when Austin was working on editing an episode with the normal editor he realized that Technoir is a great game to play but pretty dull to listen to passively. The players talked in the postgame about how changing systems to The Sprawl changed how they acted and approached their characters because of the way the character mechanics forced them into approaches.

Like I said, not every game is suitable to use in a podcast. The big issue with the Tech/Mechnoir game is they were clearly having trouble adjusting to the tag system and figuring out what adjectives to apply with each roll. Having to hem and haw over every adjective was slowing things down too much. Switching to The Sprawl was more comfortable for all of them because they were already used to playing Dungeon World from their main game.

Subjunctive posted:

I think Steam for one and DTRPG for the other, if not just googling the name outright maybe with “game” or “rpg” if needed. It would be really good if that was in reality a big barrier to growth, though, because it could be so easily addressed!

Is it really that controversial to say that the vast majority of adults and children old enough to hold a controller could name 5 different places to buy or rent a video game easily, but would have no idea where to get 13th Age? Yes they could google it, that was already brought up. It's also easier to convince people to try out an obscure product if it's linked right there? I'm not siding with GMS on how this will be the death of RPGs. It's a nice courtesy to link if you like the game enough to promote it like that.

hyphz posted:

Player (and GM) motivation, for one thing. If a player’s favourite PC dies in a private game, it’s annoying and upsetting for them. If it’s a podcasted game, they can spin it as a “plot twist” for podcast listeners. A few free copies and advertising bucks make up for a lot, including - possibly - not really liking the game that much.

Cynically killing off characters or pulling punches because of fear of fan backlash isn't really what I was thinking of when I meant it would help people GM better. I meant getting a basic handle on the rules themselves. Some of the GMs and players on the podcasts are pretty great at improv or creating interesting character motivations that could help new players out a lot, too.

theironjef posted:

This is tricky for us because a lot of the games we review are legitimately hard to find anyway. But when they are on DTRPG, we have a link right there on the site and we know people are using it (because we get 5% if they buy something).

Really though it wouldn't be hard for me to do some basic legwork to help sell the in print stuff, it'd just compromise my principles to say "this game calls trans people drag queens and treats them like hilarious traps, and you can buy it for a low low price at the following link!"

Feel free to not link to games that you hate or are provably trash in some way! That is a perfectly legit reason to refuse to do so.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 14, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I am looking forward both to a Tolkien prequel, and to smugly criticizing its violations of canon.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Bedlamdan posted:

Christopher Tolkien resigned as head of the Tolkien foundation when it was announced :ssh:

I mean, he hated the Peter Jackson movies because they were "action flicks for fifteen year olds."

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

dwarf74 posted:

I am looking forward both to a Tolkien prequel, and to smugly criticizing its violations of canon.

smh at any tolkien adaptation that uses "elves" instead of "gnomes"

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kurieg posted:

I mean, he hated the Peter Jackson movies because they were "action flicks for fifteen year olds."

The Hobbit deserved any and all criticism leveled at it though.

The loving romantic subplot for example.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
The Hobbit takes longer to watch than it does to read

I think it could be edited down into a single very watchable movie. Maybe two if you really wanted to stretch it, I guess. I've always kind of wanted to play around with editing the 6 director's cut movies into TV episode-like 30m to 1hr chunks and watch them over a longer period of time.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Hobbit takes longer to watch than it does to read

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates.

The Hobbit already has a perfectly good single part adaptation thank you.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

"We're dividing the hobbit into two movies, the first half and the second half."
"Eh I suppose I can understand that somewhat."
"We're dividing the second half into two more movies to better accommodate all the subplots we've created."
"What."

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

remusclaw posted:

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates.

The Hobbit already has a perfectly good single part adaptation thank you.

I love the poo poo out of the Rankin Bass Hobbit and remembered being legit upset the first time I rented the Bakshi Fellowship of the Ring and saw the new art style. 12 year-old me was like "What the gently caress is this garbage?"

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

in retrospect, it was a mistake to let the people who wanted tom bombadil to be in LOTR write the hobbit movies

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

I love the poo poo out of the Rankin Bass Hobbit and remembered being legit upset the first time I rented the Bakshi Fellowship of the Ring and saw the new art style. 12 year-old me was like "What the gently caress is this garbage?"

Same. Though I will admit to a strange sort of fascination with Bakshi films. I have heard bad things about the Rankin Bass "Return of the King", but somehow have never managed to see it. Am going to have to one of these days.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 14, 2018

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

:same:

I had seen The Hobbit a few times on TV and then :stare:.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

remusclaw posted:

Same. Though I will admit to a strange sort of fascination with Bakshi films. I have heard bad things about the Rankin Bass "Return of the King", but somehow have never managed to see it. Am going to have to one of these days.

It's not good, but it's not as bad as you've heard, probably. Except for a part at the end where Gandalf is like "hey one day Hobbits will evolve into humans"

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

in retrospect, it was a mistake to let the people who wanted tom bombadil to be in LOTR write the hobbit movies

Tom Bombadil is one of the reasons I fervently believe the LotR movies are superior to the books and I will fight and die on that hill

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Leonard Nimoy would have been amazing as Tom Bambodil.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

moths posted:

But he's even better not as Tom Bombadil.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

moths posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

"We're dividing the hobbit into two movies, the first half and the second half."
"Eh I suppose I can understand that somewhat."
"We're dividing the second half into two more movies to better accommodate all the subplots we've created."
"What."

"Okay, but the death of Smaug is the climax of one of the films, right?"
"Weeeeeeell..."

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

remusclaw posted:

Same. Though I will admit to a strange sort of fascination with Bakshi films.

Same, though in my case it was because I first watched the Bakshi LotR movie when I was like, 8, and loved the surrealness of it. It was also literally my first exposure to LotR in general, so I didn't have a preconceived idea of how it was supposed to look, it was just this strange fantasy film.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kurieg posted:

I mean, I'm kind of sympathetic. I like the Lord of the Rings movies well enough, but it's sort of a case where my fondness for them is mostly due to liking Peter Jackson's gonzo sense of humor and the grotesque on the one hand and liking high fantasy on the other, and while the LotR trilogy is both of those things, a lot of the time it's less than the sum of its parts.

And then this problem gets a million times worse in the Hobbit movies.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
People who don't get Tom Bombadil should not be trusted.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Austin strikes me as the type that would probably sit there and go on about all the Deep Lore he'd scribbled in a notebook if he had the time, and even in an irl game it's important to know when to inject that and when to kill your darlings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcMjixN2jUY

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
That video stripped the outer layer of my skin off my body

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

I already acknowledged LotR a few pages ago. Yeah it was a success, but what else has there been? Eragon? Dragonheart?

you're right if they make the movies poo poo then they will do bad.

I mean eragon is a garbage book that's a rippoff of lotr and starwars and the movie is still somehow worse

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Eragon is "Dragon" spelled with an E.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

dwarf74 posted:

Hoping for lore-accurate vestigial tentacles entwining Legolas' puntl as he works with Gimli to end the strife between gnomes and dwarves.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I vaguely remember reading that some Middle Earth video game or another included pumpkin patches and they got very angry complaints from the Tolkien Estate because pumpkins don't exist in Middle Earth, since it's based on Europe and pumpkins are indigenous to North America, and they had to go back and remove the pumpkins from the game.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
What's pumpkins, precious?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Kai Tave posted:

I vaguely remember reading that some Middle Earth video game or another included pumpkin patches and they got very angry complaints from the Tolkien Estate because pumpkins don't exist in Middle Earth, since it's based on Europe and pumpkins are indigenous to North America, and they had to go back and remove the pumpkins from the game.

And yet Samwise comes from a long line of proud potato farmers.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Tom Bombadil owns

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Tom Bombadil is discount Väinämöinen :colbert:

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
I am at least 80% sure this is Nicole Lindroos of Green Ronin's eventual response to their mishandling of the CA Suleiman accusations: https://greenronin.com/blog/2018/03/13/ronin-roundtable-whisper-networks-and-internet-justice/

It buries any acknowledgement of harm caused or culpability under a broad-strokes discussion of whisper networks and outing abusers, but here's the relevant parts:

quote:

When the dam broke on harassment in social media, I detailed in a semi-public post, viewable by over 1700 people, my own experiences with sexual abuse, stalking, harassment, and assault, the reverberating impact those events had on my life, and how my involvement in both providing support for other women in the game industry and standing up to try to make real change for women through my own company and my volunteer work had been particularly difficult and sometimes re-traumatizing, especially in the last year or two. To say I was at a particularly vulnerable point is an understatement and as “discussion” of public accusations of harassment in my own industry became more heated, I responded little differently than an animal in pain. It clarified for me that people in pain and trauma cannot always do right by others in pain and trauma, even with the best of intentions and the most sincere concern. It is an experience I do not want to repeat and as such, I will not be engaging in any further public debate on the subject. Instead, I intend to follow up with actions, to continue to provide opportunities for women through my company and my volunteer efforts, and to work for structural changes to the tabletop industry.

As of this writing, I am attending the GAMA Trade Show in Reno, where I will be bringing a proposal to the board for the adoption of guidelines and procedures called S.T.O.P. Harassment (Standards, Terms, and Other Practices). The intent is to create common and agreed upon set of policies for reporting issues of discrimination and harassment, setting up mechanisms for prompt, thorough, and impartial investigation into any such reports, and establishing protocols for taking corrective action. Green Ronin has paid for this document to undergo a legal review and we hope that GAMA can provide the impartial vehicle through which issues of inappropriate behavior can be properly addressed. The initial language we’re proposing can be found here: S.T.O.P. Harassment (Standards, Terms and Other Practices)

It's not the timeline of events they promised, but at least it's something. As far as I can tell Black Hat Matt hasn't said anything about the allegations made against him.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Flavivirus posted:

It's not the timeline of events they promised, but at least it's something. As far as I can tell Black Hat Matt hasn't said anything about the allegations made against him.

Fairly certain that's because Matt actually did those things.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Kurieg posted:

Fairly certain that's because Matt actually did those things.

That's definitely my read on it - I think he's going to try radio silence for as long as possible.

E: Which, given this industry, is very likely to be 'forever'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Flavivirus posted:

That's definitely my read on it - I think he's going to try radio silence for as long as possible.

E: Which, given this industry, is very likely to be 'forever'.

And radio silence, whether out of respect for the victims or fear of retribution, is still a way better look than "Abuse victims are wounded animals and incapable of proper expressions of compassion."