Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Tafferling posted:

Apparently it was in a loving covered bag because the flight attendand got the shits when they eventually told there was a dog in there.
I blame dumb people and poor communication skills.

I literally don't understand how this even happened. Why did the dog owner not say or do anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Because the last time someone argued with a United flight attendant, they got beaten up and dragged off the plane by the police

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tafferling posted:

Apparently it was in a loving covered bag because the flight attendand got the shits when they eventually told there was a dog in there.
I blame dumb people and poor communication skills.

The bag looks like it might be a pet carry case but it's hard to tell from the photo

I wouldn't put it past dumbasses to try and smuggle a dog onto a plane in a regular bag to try and avoid paying an additional pet carrying fee.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Pug people are the worst in my limited experience.

It was a french bulldog but that's still a brachycephalic breed which is pretty much the same as a pug.

Sagebrush posted:

Because the last time someone argued with a United flight attendant, they got beaten up and dragged off the plane by the police
Also the flight attendant absolutely insisted on it and assured the dog's safety:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hey let's breed a dog that can barely breath!

oh no, it died from not breathing!

United! :argh:

Anybody who intentionally breeds dysfunctional dogs believes they are entitled to the animals suffering because it's fun to look at. gently caress them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The bag looks like it might be a pet carry case but it's hard to tell from the photo

I wouldn't put it past dumbasses to try and smuggle a dog onto a plane in a regular bag to try and avoid paying an additional pet carrying fee.

The Dome™: Yeah, that’s probably a pet carrier, but I’m already primed to see that. It could easily be mistaken for a duffel bag.

The Cube™: Anything could be inside that.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Powershift posted:

Anybody who intentionally breeds dysfunctional dogs believes they are entitled to the animals suffering because it's fun to look at. gently caress them.

:argh:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That flight attendant is getting so fired in any possible scenario and their only real hope is that they can sue for unemployment because they felt training didn't cover why you shouldn't put living things in overhead bins. They'll also probably be able to avoid civil liability that way.

Liability might further be extended to United and or whoever signed off on their seating layout if this all sprung up because no one figured out how to get the (FAA approved) pet carrier under the seat cause it's slightly cutting corners on allowed under seat storage.

United is going to get off with just the media ding in most ways this plays out.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

This guy. My dude.

Do us all a favor and shut the gently caress up. Shut the whole loving gently caress up. Shut the New Extended 3 Hour Edition the gently caress up. Once you've done that, put the bonus disc in, click on the deleted fucks and shut those the gently caress up. And once you've finishing shutting the physical gently caress up, redeem the code on the back, download the digital fucks from Amazon and shut those up. Shut your free 30 day trial the gently caress up. And once your mouth has recessed into itself with such force from shutting the gently caress up that your entire digestive system collapses into a black hole, shut the gently caress up one more time.

For the betterment of humanity.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
no worries he'll be reborn as a pug

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Powershift posted:

Oooo, we got an edgelord here in the wild. You stupid gently caress.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
How about we all agree that every human involved in this story is a shithead to some degree.

The flight attendant is a shithead for obvious reasons.

The dog owner is a shithead for supporting the breeding of dogs that are basically born to suffocate for cosmetic reasons and for not standing up for their pet.

An ugly, defective, but ultimately innocent dog died as a result of these two poo poo winds meeting and creating a poo poo tornado.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

wolrah posted:

How about we all agree that every human involved in this story is a shithead to some degree.

The flight attendant is a shithead for obvious reasons.

The dog owner is a shithead for supporting the breeding of dogs that are basically born to suffocate for cosmetic reasons and for not standing up for their pet.

An ugly, defective, but ultimately innocent dog died as a result of these two poo poo winds meeting and creating a poo poo tornado.

Let's not forget you, for your lovely posts.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Whole lot of pug apologists on this page

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

GotLag posted:

Whole lot of apuglogists on this page

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
ok, what if they adopted the pug from a kill shelter or something. not everybody with a hosed up dog got it because it was a cute puppy

not saying the odds are any which way but simply having a weird dog doesn't necessarily indicate much about the owner's motives

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/10/07/nyregion/banned-by-many-airlines-these-bulldogs-fly-private.html?referer=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/

quote:

Such is life for travelers like Louie, a French bulldog whose breed has been banned from most commercial airlines — not for the dogs’ bark or bite, but because so many have died in flight.

Many airlines now forbid brachycephalic breeds, also known as short-faced or snub-nosed dogs, from their planes. 

American Airlines banned brachycephalic breeds of dogs and cats shortly after four bulldogs died on its planes in a three-month period in 2010. Delta stopped accepting French, English and American bulldogs this year, after three bulldogs died from January to March.

United and Continental Airlines, which had two bulldogs die in their care this spring, banned brachycephalic dog breeds from flying during the summer, lifting the restriction on Sept. 16, when temperatures began to drop.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 14, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mozi posted:

ok, what if they adopted the pug from a kill shelter or something. not everybody with a hosed up dog got it because it was a cute puppy

not saying the odds are any which way but simply having a weird dog doesn't necessarily indicate much about the owner's motives

It doesn't say how old the daughters were but if they had any input on which dog to get they probably weren't thinking about the ethics of purebreds and genetic viability.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If owing a pug is supporting their breeding, how exactly do you suggest we not support it? Do we just leave them all in kill shelters and wait for them to die out?

Like these dogs are still going to exist if they don't get homes. They're not just going to suddenly disappear or turn into a perfectly sustainable breed that can breathe easily if nobody owns them.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Uh, don't purposely breed more? And most dogs disappear 10-15 years after birth. HTH.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

chitoryu12 posted:

If owing a pug is supporting their breeding, how exactly do you suggest we not support it? Do we just leave them all in kill shelters and wait for them to die out?

Like these dogs are still going to exist if they don't get homes. They're not just going to suddenly disappear or turn into a perfectly sustainable breed that can breathe easily if nobody owns them.

I think they'll eventually die out on their own if nothing changes, purebred pugs really aren't sustainable as a breed:

quote:

In 2008, an investigative documentary carried out by the BBC found significant inbreeding between pedigree dogs, with a study by Imperial College, London, showing that the 10,000 Pugs in the UK are so inbred that their gene pool is the equivalent of only 50 individuals.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Rescuing a dog is one thing, and that's fine since most rescues spay or neuter the dogs, so you're just rescuing that one dog and not breeding more. But buying a pug from a breeder is a different thing, and if people would stop buying pugs from breeders, then they'd probably stop breeding them.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
No we must suffocate all existing pugs in front of their owners because they deserve it for actually loving their little mutant freak dog. Now while I have your attention I also have several opinions about the disabled

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Imagined posted:

No we must suffocate all existing pugs in front of their owners because they deserve it for actually loving their little mutant freak dog. Now while I have your attention I also have several opinions about the disabled

Lol dogs that can't breathe aren't unintentionally born that way from unforeseen biological factors.

It's me, I'm the one offended that you compared intentionally breeding dogs to look a certain way to people with disabilities.

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 14, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Hey i've got a new derail for everyone - discuss

https://i.imgur.com/5ZoYZ9H.mp4

fake edit: how do i embed this

real edit: maybe it did embed? didn't in preview. SALR? w/e

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Small aircraft chutes are relatively common, no?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Slotducks posted:

Small aircraft chutes are relatively common, no?

On Cirrus planes and a couple others, but not exactly common.

Discussion of airplane chutes tends to lead to enormous argumentative derails for whatever reason

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Zipperelli. posted:

This guy. My dude.

Do us all a favor and shut the gently caress up. Shut the whole loving gently caress up. Shut the New Extended 3 Hour Edition the gently caress up. Once you've done that, put the bonus disc in, click on the deleted fucks and shut those the gently caress up. And once you've finishing shutting the physical gently caress up, redeem the code on the back, download the digital fucks from Amazon and shut those up. Shut your free 30 day trial the gently caress up. And once your mouth has recessed into itself with such force from shutting the gently caress up that your entire digestive system collapses into a black hole, shut the gently caress up one more time.

For the betterment of humanity.

Lol chill dude

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
We should put airframe parachutes on pugs but only for owners who eat steak well done.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Would that pug have died if the airplane had been on a treadmill?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

shortspecialbus posted:

On Cirrus planes and a couple others, but not exactly common.

Discussion of airplane chutes tends to lead to enormous argumentative derails for whatever reason

That explains why I know about them... Cirrus and Diamond planes are the only ones I've dealt with.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

shortspecialbus posted:

Preview doesn't show MP4/GIFV style embeds from imgur but it still works.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

zedprime posted:

That flight attendant is getting so fired in any possible scenario and their only real hope is that they can sue for unemployment because they felt training didn't cover why you shouldn't put living things in overhead bins. They'll also probably be able to avoid civil liability that way.

Liability might further be extended to United and or whoever signed off on their seating layout if this all sprung up because no one figured out how to get the (FAA approved) pet carrier under the seat cause it's slightly cutting corners on allowed under seat storage.

United is going to get off with just the media ding in most ways this plays out.

Nope. My sister is an attendant for United; her professional opinion is that attendant was 'a loving dumbass', and this was before the other dudes post about it. There are reasonable places to put a pet carrier even on a crowded flight.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

shortspecialbus posted:

What derailed that airplane?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
It fell off the treadmill, obviously.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nenonen posted:

What derailed that airplane?

The dentist

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Yawgmoth posted:

We should put airframe parachutes on pugs but only for owners who eat steak well done.

what if they're breastfeeding in public

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Depressio111117 posted:

what if they're breastfeeding in public
if you're breastfeeding a pug in public you have bigger problems

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

if you're breastfeeding a pug in public you have bigger problems

beginning with sore nipples, I'd imagine.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord

shortspecialbus posted:

https://i.imgur.com/5ZoYZ9H.mp4

HOLY poo poo disgusting, falling at that angle would spill any food/drinks on board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

shortspecialbus posted:

it's basically the same argument you get with seatbelts, motorcycle helmets, anti-lock brakes, or any other safety equipment -- one side says "it's a safety feature, it can only make the activity safer" while the other says "no it encourages unsafe behavior/lack of training/overconfidence in newbies." also the against-side will often bring up some unbelievably implausible failure mode as "evidence" that the safety feature is actually less safe (e.g. seatbelts will cut off your head).