Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The calendar app should do it.

The calendar app won't give me notifications from when my computer was asleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Supposedly you need to have 'InstantGo' enabled in the BIOS and also the corresponding software (maybe, hard to tell). Then modern windows apps are supposed to be able to update in sleep mode. I have never actually see it work though.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

bobfather posted:

Are you sure this was actually occurring? Microsoft Remote Desktop has never had the ability to send magic packets to wake computers from S1-4 sleep.

I know that some network cards can be set to wake up a PC if they receive pattern-matched traffic, but this usually ends up being a bad option because anything that broadcasts to the entire subnet can also wake up your computer.

Check device manager -> your network card -> properties and see if you can change the WoL from magic packet to pattern match. This mah get you what you want, but probably will also have your computer wake up randomly at other times of day.

Yea. That's always been on. Turned off hybrid sleep as well.

In the Intel Power settings.

Respond to ARP requests without waking the system is turned off
Respond to NS requests without waking the system is turned off
Energy Efficient Ethernet is turned off
Reduce link speed during idle is turned off

Wake on Magic Packet is turned on
Wake on Pattern Match is turned on
Wake on Magic Packet from power off state is turned on
Wake on Link settings is turned on

In Windows10 power settings.

Fast startup is turned off
Hybrid sleep is turned off
Link state power management is turned off

EDIT: Oh motherFUCKER. This stupid OS just had me defaulted to a public network. Changed to private. Works. I hate that poo poo.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 12, 2018

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

redeyes posted:

Supposedly you need to have 'InstantGo' enabled in the BIOS and also the corresponding software (maybe, hard to tell). Then modern windows apps are supposed to be able to update in sleep mode. I have never actually see it work though.

There's no option for that in Calendar and I don't need it to run while the computer's off, I just need it to display the notification the first time the computer's on instead of going "oh well you missed it, guess there's no point in showing you now"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I just got a notification that my computer's going to restart after updates, is there a way to stop it from doing that?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
lol

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I just got a notification that my computer's going to restart after updates, is there a way to stop it from doing that?

:sever:

nielsm fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 14, 2018

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I bought a new mouse, a decently fancy one, and I'm wondering if I need to turn on that option in Device Installation Settings (Win10 x64 Home) to get the mouse to work. It is currently off because I don't want Update touching my GPU drivers.

I guess another way to phrase my question is - does Windows have a giant cache of drivers for various devices stored somewhere, or does it download them when a new device is attached?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Windows has a driver cache for common hardware, and downloads more/newer drivers as necessary if the option is enabled. The stock mouse drivers ought to be perfectly fine though, at worst you might not have your sixth or more buttons work.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Ofecks posted:

I bought a new mouse, a decently fancy one, and I'm wondering if I need to turn on that option in Device Installation Settings (Win10 x64 Home) to get the mouse to work. It is currently off because I don't want Update touching my GPU drivers.

I guess another way to phrase my question is - does Windows have a giant cache of drivers for various devices stored somewhere, or does it download them when a new device is attached?

I think any mouse should just work if you plug it in but if you want the full functionality and features of the mouse then you’d need to install the drivers supplied by the manufacturer. My Logitech MX Master (standard mouse with a left/right scroll wheel and 2 extra buttons) works just fine plugging it in and all the buttons do what they should do. My Logitech G600 mouse (has 12 buttons right under the thumb and some other buttons that can be programmed to act as ctrl or alt etc) needed special Logitech software to map the buttons correctly.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I turned on the Device Installation thing temporarily to hook up the mouse and it seems to work fine. It shows up as a generic device ("USB Receiver"/"HID-compliant mouse") so I probably didn't need to do that anyway.

And yes, I installed the config software from Logitech (it's a G603). Also updated the firmware, was terrified my power would go out during the process and brick it, but it finished without issue.

My old one was a M560 but I had to install and change some stuff with SetPoint because the side buttons were minimizing game windows during gameplay. I think that was a Windows 10 default thing because I used the same mouse on Win7 and had no such issue. I haven't gamed yet today to test the new one.

e: just tested. Works great, didn't have to change anything in the config. Even recognizes the side buttons as Mouse 4/Mouse 5, which my old one didn't. Also seems more responsive and more accurate, even at the high DPI setting I'm using (1600). Clicks are a bit louder, though.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 14, 2018

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Take a sledge hammer to your computer it'll never restart again :)

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I can't use my touch pad while typing. Google said to open the synaptics settings and disable smart sense, which I did. Also recommended was to disable palm check, I could not find that setting anywhere. I have also noticed that disabling the hide cursor vwhen typing didn't make any change. I rebooted the laptop after applying the changes, but in my opinion it feels like windows might be ignoring the synaptics settings? Is this a known windows 10 issue? I have noticed on a couple Google searches people have mentioned disabling smart sense not working on windows 8.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is it actually impossible to keep Windows 10 from forcing a restart?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Yesterday, I left my computer idle for, I don't know, < 1 hour, and it updated / restarted with no prompts. No updates have been postponed by me.

Did Windows detect the machine was idle, and just thought, gently caress it? I could have been waiting for a presentation to start or a Skype call or something, which is super common for me.

Luckily though I was being a lazy sack of poo poo instead.

If that can be stopped and that setting will hang around after updates, that's .... not terrible I guess. But WTF, unprompted, nothing postponed, arbitrary update?

It installed:
KB4088785
KB4088776
KB4074588

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 15, 2018

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Ziploc posted:

Yea. That's always been on. Turned off hybrid sleep as well.

In the Intel Power settings.

Respond to ARP requests without waking the system is turned off
Respond to NS requests without waking the system is turned off
Energy Efficient Ethernet is turned off
Reduce link speed during idle is turned off

Wake on Magic Packet is turned on
Wake on Pattern Match is turned on
Wake on Magic Packet from power off state is turned on
Wake on Link settings is turned on

In Windows10 power settings.

Fast startup is turned off
Hybrid sleep is turned off
Link state power management is turned off

EDIT: Oh motherFUCKER. This stupid OS just had me defaulted to a public network. Changed to private. Works. I hate that poo poo.

Of course now I can't tell why one machine instantly wakes after going to sleep. But not the other machine. :wtf:

And as far as I know, theres no way to tell what machine the pattern match came from.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Have you tried Windows Server?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
What's this with everyone bitching about w10 updates? Just pick a time for it to restart like when you're asleep lol

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah I can't say I've ever had this problem at all. Can't even remember the last time I was prompted to restart because of an update. It just does it all while I'm asleep.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I can understand why Microsoft implemented forced updates. But I wanted to strangle the entire Redmond campus when I found a machine that was monitoring some experiments that were running over night had rebooted and threw away 2 weeks of data.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

You can mess with some settings with group policies if you have Win10Pro.
Run gpedit.msc and look for "Configure Automatic Updates" under "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update"

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 15, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I still want to tear the head off of, and defecate in the neck stump of, whoever the hell decided that OneNote should be reset as the default printer every time I restart.

I'm still not sure what I want to do with whoever's decision it was to restart a machine that was in the middle of an overnight Solidworks simulation.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Raygereio posted:

I can understand why Microsoft implemented forced updates. But I wanted to strangle the entire Redmond campus when I found a machine that was monitoring some experiments that were running over night had rebooted and threw away 2 weeks of data.

What version of Windows 10 was it running (Pro, Enterprise, Creators update, etc?).

Also: it runs software collecting data over a fortnight period, but it doesn't record the data to the hard drive as it goes? Or did it just need throwing out due to the disruption at that time?

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Mar 15, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I did the thing where you disable the update task in the scheduler. Downloads the updates but reboot doesn't happen until I'm ready.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I still want to tear the head off of, and defecate in the neck stump of, whoever the hell decided that OneNote should be reset as the default printer every time I restart.

Something is weird with your setup. Neither of the computers running Windows 10 in my house (one Pro, one Home) have done this.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

isndl posted:

I did the thing where you disable the update task in the scheduler. Downloads the updates but reboot doesn't happen until I'm ready.

Is there any downside to doing this, I reboot daily anyway? I guess the next start could be slow as it installs but I don't care about that.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

hooah posted:

Something is weird with your setup. Neither of the computers running Windows 10 in my house (one Pro, one Home) have done this.

Same here. Multiple computers. Some with office, some not. Never happened in Win 10 so far.

Nuke and pave, then see if the issue persists on an un-hosed-with system.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
My W10 installed the update when I turned off the computer before I went to sleep. Which is fine, except it loving restarted and was on for the whole night.

This isn't rocket surgery, Microsoft, c'mon.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ufarn posted:

My W10 installed the update when I turned off the computer before I went to sleep. Which is fine, except it loving restarted and was on for the whole night.

This isn't rocket surgery, Microsoft, c'mon.

YOUR SYSTEM IS NOW SAFE TO BE TURNED OFF

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Windows 10 was released almost 3 years ago. This behaviour (restarting after updates, sometimes even if the user doesn't want to) has been happening for longer than that. If you still have long running tasks that do not save their state if the process gets closed unexpectedly, I'm sorry, you deserve it.
Or, you know, change the loving OS to one that doesn't do that.
It is entirely up to you.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I got gifted a hand-me-down W10 box from my very serious gamer brother, having never touched windows >7 beyond quick email checks.

The first morning I found it had rebooted without permission I went and figured out how to turn that poo poo off. That behavior is not at all OK, pretending like people can just abandon long-running software because Microsoft apparently couldn't foresee the possibility of overnight jobs being run is ridiculous.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Javid posted:

I got gifted a hand-me-down W10 box from my very serious gamer brother, having never touched windows >7 beyond quick email checks.

The first morning I found it had rebooted without permission I went and figured out how to turn that poo poo off. That behavior is not at all OK, pretending like people can just abandon long-running software because Microsoft apparently couldn't foresee the possibility of overnight jobs being run is ridiculous.

Oh, they foresee that all-right. The question is: Do we want a repeat of the early 2000s with millions upon millions of windows machines connected to the internet being infected or do we want to annoy those that do not know how to write a long running job?

Since the early 2000s scenario was an existential threat to Microsoft itself as a company (which then prompted the security-focused policy within Microsoft, to quite good results I might add), it is quite obvious that this prevention is in their best interest so this is the position they're taking. And is not like they're not telling people. So, you have few options:
- do not run long running jobs (multi-day, multi-week)
- make your long running jobs interruption friendly (really, wtf, this is CS 101)
- use an OS that does not reboot on you

It is really that simple.
But you really should make your long running jobs interruption friendly, because even on linux and even with an UPS, power can go out for longer than the UPS can hold.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Javid posted:

I prefer forcing updates and reboots. Like Volguus not doing this leads down a really nasty road. If it interrupts your Anime Neural Network Training session on Windows 10 Home you need to either get work to get you a proper OS, or not be cheap and pony up the cash to upgrade.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

A bit of background:

I teach and demo my company's software for a living. For this, I have a VMware server with our software that travels with me. Recently, my VMs have been targeted by Microsoft for the Fall Creators update. This update completely breaks my company's software and I need to permanently stop it from happening.

Things I've tried:

Forcing updates to be disabled in GPO - doesn't work
Blocking microsoft.com and windowsupdate.com at my router - doesn't work (I think the files are hidden somewhere already)
Removing the scheduled tasks that tell the system to update - doesn't work (they just get added back after reboot)
Removing read permissions from the Windows 10 Update folder - works but shows an ugly error on boot that is unacceptable for demos

I can't remove internet access completely since our software needs it to work.

What I really want to do is completely and permanently disable the actual mechanism Windows uses to update without throwing any visible errors. I don't mind seriously breaking major parts of the system to do it - only our software needs to be usable. These systems get rolled back to a fresh image every week, so security updates are completely irrelevant and I can't afford to be interrupted by update prompts, even if they didn't break our software.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Current versions of Pro give you enough control over deferring updates to prevent them rebooting during inopportune moments or overnight, so whether you need to upgrade to Pro and explore those options or talk to your IT department about Enterprise, there is no reason now why you should find your PC rebooting in a way that disrupts crucial work.

If you are on Home then I am curious as to what you could possibly be running that is so vitally important it requires you to leave it overnight that you shouldn't already be on Pro for.

[edit] See, the example above is where I'm getting confused. A corporate device for testing or demoing should be on Pro or Enterprise, and your IT department should be blocking or deferring unwanted updates through your work network. If they haven't done this then what the gently caress are they playing at?

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 15, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Edit: Oh, I just realized you're talking to the other guy.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 15, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Current versions of Pro give you enough control over deferring updates to prevent them rebooting during inopportune moments or overnight, so whether you need to upgrade to Pro and explore those options or talk to your IT department about Enterprise, there is no reason now why you should find your PC rebooting in a way that disrupts crucial work.

If you are on Home then I am curious as to what you could possibly be running that is so vitally important it requires you to leave it overnight that you shouldn't already be on Pro for.

[edit] See, the example above is where I'm getting confused. A corporate device for testing or demoing should be on Pro or Enterprise, and your IT department should be blocking or deferring unwanted updates through your work network. If they haven't done this then what the gently caress are they playing at?

This is on Pro, but it can't be on a domain. This is a server I literally carry around to a trade show and perform demos on it. It is not a production server, it is for showing customers. it gets completely deleted and recreated every week from a VMware template.

I don't want this machine to act like a "real" version of windows. I need it to boot up, let me install and demo my software (the install is part of the demo) and I need to be able to reboot it several times without waiting for updates to install and nobody is getting paid to keep this thing current (I'm a one man show), so it needs to "just work" without loving around with it every week.

Edit: My IT department absolutely refuses to touch it because I'm part of marketing and they want nothing to do with any of it. They gave me Windows and VMware licenses and said "have fun you're on your own."

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 15, 2018

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Are you, like, trying to sell this software?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shy posted:

Are you, like, trying to sell this software?

Well, my company is. I'm not a sales person technically. But I'm part of marketing and if I make the software look bad I get fired.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Maybe if you re-do the Windows image in VMWare and configure it to not to download updates in the GPO before connecting that image to the internet you can get most of the way there. You're still going to get that prompt that updates are available, I don't know of a way to disable that one, but if updates are prevented from downloading you shouldn't have an issue with them installing if you revert to the original image each week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CFox posted:

Maybe if you re-do the Windows image in VMWare and configure it to not to download updates in the GPO before connecting that image to the internet you can get most of the way there. You're still going to get that prompt that updates are available, I don't know of a way to disable that one, but if updates are prevented from downloading you shouldn't have an issue with them installing if you revert to the original image each week.

GPO doesn't stop the creator's update. I've had that disabled for 6 months without a problem until last week when it installed that update ANYWAYS overnight and broke the software in front of my customer. :saddowns:

I literally want to render windows completely incapable of updating in any way shape or form, even intentionally because I absolutely cannot afford to have that happen again. My VP had to talk the VP of sales down off a ledge because he wanted my head on a pike. I will remove half of the Windows folder if I have to in order to do it.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 15, 2018