Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Veryslightlymad posted:

Ichthyoid Species Pack DLC when?

My purchase of this hypothetical species pack is 100% dependent upon how much the shark-people look like Street Sharks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Splicer posted:

Wiz please just copy/paste this bit of the mod over the Galactic Wonders and Terraforming code thanks.

Maybe change the numbers a bit.

I dunno, I think the numbers are pretty good and it's a nice way to play a little more tall-ish.

Also the flavour text is amusing.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Jazerus posted:

something that's not obvious: gulli's habitat modifiers on moons apply to habitats built over their planet

a well-rolled gas giant can be ridiculously good because of this

:)

If you really want to cheeze btw, build a habitat over a planet or a planet with a moon that has the Temporally Displaced modifier (the science one that adds 6/6/6 to space resource & research bonuses)
It too gets a habitat bonus (+science) and after you have your habitat. Terraform that planet and colonize it. Double dipping the bonuses :P

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

Ichthyoid Species Pack DLC when?

Where's my rock dudes!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I thought the In Limbo special project was supposed to work with Droids? Do you really need Synths to be able to settle them somewhere? I'm sure I've done it once with Droids.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Milky Moor posted:

I thought the In Limbo special project was supposed to work with Droids? Do you really need Synths to be able to settle them somewhere? I'm sure I've done it once with Droids.

Worked with droids for me. Of course, I was spiritual xenophobe and had outlawed AI so they were instantly set to be purged, but it worked. When I did it with Synths instead they just vanished in the night, probably because they then understood what fate awaited them. Or my planets were full.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GotLag posted:

I dunno, I think the numbers are pretty good and it's a nice way to play a little more tall-ish.

Also the flavour text is amusing.
I meant change the numbers before replacing the galactic wonders cost code because that'd be some pretty cheap Dyson spheres.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

AG3 posted:

Worked with droids for me. Of course, I was spiritual xenophobe and had outlawed AI so they were instantly set to be purged, but it worked. When I did it with Synths instead they just vanished in the night, probably because they then understood what fate awaited them. Or my planets were full.

I completed the porject with droids and it failed. I unlocked the project when I only had robots, though, so maybe that's the issue? It was disappointing because it's a neat rare event and my galaxy had no robot empires. :smith:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Milky Moor posted:

I completed the porject with droids and it failed. I unlocked the project when I only had robots, though, so maybe that's the issue? It was disappointing because it's a neat rare event and my galaxy had no robot empires. :smith:

I got it before I even had robots, and just said "let's not risk it" when I researched robots. I tried it with droids and it worked, but they had fairly bad stats (and were being purged on top of that) so I reloaded and waited until I had synths, and then they just vanished on me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's really annoying when you lose a system in a nebula so you lose sight of it and your fleet stops pursuing the fleet inside. Sometimes it takes me time to realise they've stopped!

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

It's really annoying when you lose a system in a nebula so you lose sight of it and your fleet stops pursuing the fleet inside. Sometimes it takes me time to realise they've stopped!

Yeah, if a fleet loses a target you should get some sort of notification.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

On the plus side this game I've noticed the AI actually changing their ships to fight mine - I was missile heavy and they lost a load of engagements then came back with point defence corvettes. I'm unsure if I've ever seen that level of adaptability before.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uuuuuuugh this is my first endgame and it's full of these two rear end in a top hat fallen empires chewing their way through my empire while I try squash their home bases. Bluhhghgh

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

More like dismantle slavery and establish a system of racially biased policing that puts people in for-profit prison where they pay off their debt to society by laboring for free.

Actually, can we have a for-profit prison industrial complex in Stellaris?

Isn't that what amalgamation and using pops as food is

Milky Moor posted:

Failing with droids is weird, it should work fine with them. The awoken are crazy good researchers too, and you can abuse expansion traditions to keep increasing your awoken pop 2 at a time. (they get +30% soc/phy/eng output, in addition to intelligent for +10/10/10)

I also gotta say a level 11 machine intelligence leader is insanely good

Sloober fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 14, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Roughly how long does a full game take to complete? I'm about 13 hours in and I've kind of hit a point to where I'm just expanding out on my side of the galaxy and blowing up pirate bases.

Also I probably should restart since I really goofed up on a few areas during my first playthrough.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vargatron posted:

Roughly how long does a full game take to complete? I'm about 13 hours in and I've kind of hit a point to where I'm just expanding out on my side of the galaxy and blowing up pirate bases.

Also I probably should restart since I really goofed up on a few areas during my first playthrough.
What year are you in? There's some stuff than can happen around the mid and late game, which by default are set to 2300 and 2400. So if you're at 2295 or 2395, stick around a bit. If you're at 2250 or 2350 and aren't really feeling your current setup maybe start a new game

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Okay that makes sense. I think I'm at 2286 or something like that. Just feeling kind of bored honestly, but I should probably increase the game speed a bit if that's the case.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Vargatron posted:

Okay that makes sense. I think I'm at 2286 or something like that. Just feeling kind of bored honestly, but I should probably increase the game speed a bit if that's the case.

There's two settings in stellaris - fastest, and pause, if you dont have to pause to issue a bunch of time critical orders always be fastest

E. Recent game the Khanate popped up, on the other side of the galaxy and i had a hostile AI between us, couldn't get to him until i got jump drives (did not want to fight a two front war), and when i had 3 fleets in the area "The khan was assassinated by one of his concubines" and so ends the khan uprising

Sloober fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 14, 2018

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Vargatron posted:

I personally play the game almost entirely on Fastest, though there is plenty of pausing when I want do something like design a ship and don't want to miss actions on the board.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

How am I supposed to deal with Crystalline Entities in early game? I threw some fleets at them and they chewed me up. Just leave them alone and come back later?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Look at their ship details, I don't remember what they are off the top of my head but if you tech to counter them then you should beat them handily with a similar-power fleet.

If their fleet strength is way bigger than what you can put together then yeah, just mark that system as a no-fly zone and come back later.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Hungry posted:

How am I supposed to deal with Crystalline Entities in early game? I threw some fleets at them and they chewed me up. Just leave them alone and come back later?

they're mostly hull so use that knowledge

their shard guns also do extra damage to hull, so use that knowledge

(use plasma or lasers (or missiles), and defend with armor or shields)

Sloober fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 14, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm loving how much more forgiving the early game is of military fuckups now. I fired a bunch of corvettes at too big a pirate swarm and yeah, it hurt, but it was very much a lesson learned over the complete fleet wipe it would have been pre-2.0.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Trying my hand at a vassal-focused playthrough for the first time. Am I right in thinking there's no real point in force-vassalizing other empires as opposed to catch-and-release? I mean, they'll resent me forever and constantly threaten rebellion anyway, while created vassals are nice and docile while providing basically the same benefits. Plus I can comfortably conquer territory and feed created vassals piecemeal instead of being forced into a hellwar. Am I missing something?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

My two neighbours in my most recent assimilator game have both had their homeworlds rebel and become independent nations.
Absolutely bizzare.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Taear posted:

My two neighbours in my most recent assimilator game have both had their homeworlds rebel and become independent nations.
Absolutely bizzare.

I think that tends to happen if the empire's species are Deviants. Are they?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Guildencrantz posted:

I think that tends to happen if the empire's species are Deviants. Are they?

One was. They had a war with each other and it happened.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Taear posted:

Absolutely bizzare.
That happened to me in my first 2.0 game because I fell into a starvation cycle.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Guildencrantz posted:

Trying my hand at a vassal-focused playthrough for the first time. Am I right in thinking there's no real point in force-vassalizing other empires as opposed to catch-and-release?

How much influence does it cost to catch-and-release instead of force-vassalizing?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Guildencrantz posted:

Trying my hand at a vassal-focused playthrough for the first time. Am I right in thinking there's no real point in force-vassalizing other empires as opposed to catch-and-release? I mean, they'll resent me forever and constantly threaten rebellion anyway, while created vassals are nice and docile while providing basically the same benefits. Plus I can comfortably conquer territory and feed created vassals piecemeal instead of being forced into a hellwar. Am I missing something?

Catch and release takes influence on claims, while the vassalize CB doesn't cost you influence (though it's pretty hard to actually enforce if they have an ally). In any case most of the time you force-vassalize, yes, your vassal will hate you forever due to claims but I'm not sure how often "threatening rebellion" is relevant. If you're strong enough to take them over via a vassalize CB you probably aren't worried about disloyal vassals. Basically, I'd say the influence cost is the most relevant thing.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Splicer posted:

That happened to me in my first 2.0 game because I fell into a starvation cycle.

Their homeworlds becoming independent put them both into that, where they had almost empty planets outside of their main one. It was an interesting sight.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Torpedoes are so loving good.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Okay, I've got an empire near me where all their stations are just 1 power, their planets are full of people but no buildings (not their homeworld) and again random places have declared independence. They're conformists though!
I wonder what has happened? The only empire that isn't "pathetic" is a devouring horde near me and it's 2360!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Excited for the patch so I can get back to playing again.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
That sounds like they've run out of energy and maybe at some point began suffering a severe deficit of minerals (due to maintenance) so they can't afford to correct it.

The AI seems to have really strange priorities sometimes and can get itself stuck in a downward spiral if things don't go exactly according to plan. Do you know if they lost any planets previously? Or had to pay an overlord? Most often I see this with food and that may be how all this got started - starving pops didn't produce any energy so they went bankrupt. And with no minerals being collected their fleet drove them I to the ground so they can't build farms or power plants.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Psychotic Weasel posted:

That sounds like they've run out of energy and maybe at some point began suffering a severe deficit of minerals (due to maintenance) so they can't afford to correct it.

The AI seems to have really strange priorities sometimes and can get itself stuck in a downward spiral if things don't go exactly according to plan. Do you know if they lost any planets previously? Or had to pay an overlord? Most often I see this with food and that may be how all this got started - starving pops didn't produce any energy so they went bankrupt. And with no minerals being collected their fleet drove them I to the ground so they can't build farms or power plants.

Well I would have said no they didn't have an overlord but many planets had a "freed!" modifier on them, even though nothing had taken them. So perhaps they did or the game felt they did? It seems weird that four whole civs have had it happen in the game though!

When I make a sector from the conquered areas they're all super low on energy so it must be that.

Taear fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 14, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Taear posted:

Okay, I've got an empire near me where all their stations are just 1 power, their planets are full of people but no buildings (not their homeworld) and again random places have declared independence. They're conformists though!
I wonder what has happened? The only empire that isn't "pathetic" is a devouring horde near me and it's 2360!

it's starvation

if the AI has a food deficit they basically end up in stasis. if you notice that an empire is stagnating, gift them some food

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think it would be OK if the AI got no penalties for running out of food/minerals/energy.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Splicer posted:

I think it would be OK if the AI got no penalties for running out of food/minerals/energy.

The Civil wars are fun doh, seeing AI empires break into tens of smaller one system states :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Taear posted:

Well I would have said no they didn't have an overlord but many planets had a "freed!" modifier on them, even though nothing had taken them. So perhaps they did or the game felt they did? It seems weird that four whole civs have had it happen in the game though!

When I make a sector from the conquered areas they're all super low on energy so it must be that.

Yeah, sounds like they got themselves locked in a death spiral and the AI doesn't know what to do to recover. If you want their territory now's the time to grab ot. Or if you prefer a buffer give them excess food to see if they're able to recover themselves. With the territory so broken up and running a constant deficit of minerals/energy the AI may not know what to prioritize and just waste it on rebuilding a fleet it can't afford.