Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

brugroffil posted:

That guy owns and I'm voting for him for every office
Yeah, when he was talking about legalizing weed, I was like "okay yeah, I dunno if it actually solves all our financial problems, but sure."

When he got to the "you don't have to deal with Madigan because *poof* now he is in another state entirely!" I was ... taken aback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hey y’all the 21st (Illinois public radio show about politics) interviewed everyone running for governor (except Rainer who wouldn’t return their calls for some reason heh) and put them and bios etc up on their webpage if you want to hear from the candidates in their own words:
https://will.illinois.edu/21stshow/program/our-interviews-with-seven-of-the-candidates-for-illinois-governor

Also you should really be listening to the 21st if you want to really be informed on what’s up in Springfield.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm listening to those interviews and lol Jeanne Ives sounds like a literal crazy person.

Pritzker said all the right things, but I still don't want to vote for a billionaire.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Oracle posted:

Also you should really be listening to the 21st if you want to really be informed on what’s up in Springfield.

How often do they do political segments? I’m not sure I could keep up with a daily, I mostly just listen to State Week.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

How often do they do political segments? I’m not sure I could keep up with a daily, I mostly just listen to State Week.

State Week is also good and there's a lot of overlap (I think half the hosts are the same).

It seems like every show has some mention of something or other going on political-wise. You can check out their webpage for synopsis of shows if you're real hard up for time. They play during the lunch hour near me so its fairly easy to have it on in the car on background or whatever.

Speaking of which, they also did a series of interviews with the Atty Gen candidates.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Been seeing a fresh wave of shots against Kennedy from both Pritzker and Biss. Presumably trying to break any chance he has to act as a spoiler for the other.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Local UFO Enthusiast and Believer in Ghosts Endorses Chris Kennedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7jclPo28fY

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Looks like that progressive tax may be finally coming...but it hits middle and even a lot of low income earners hard. Sorry if this has been talked about here already but a year after a big tax hike, and right after the SALT limits were imposed, this...this is something.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=3522&GAID=14&GA=100&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=105373&SessionID=91

Starting with people who make less than $18k, it's a tax hike. If you make $30k, half of your income will be taxed at 1.32% over the current rate.

edit: specifically, from $15k-$250k the rate is 6.27%. :drat:

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 12, 2018

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
No way that makes it at those numbers.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Isn't a progressive income tax unconstitutional? Not seeing how the bill gets past that.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I just got SMS spammed from JB Pritzker. Not sure if it's automated or just campaign workers sending them out and responding. No idea how they got my number.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Niwrad posted:

I just got SMS spammed from JB Pritzker. Not sure if it's automated or just campaign workers sending them out and responding. No idea how they got my number.

Did you donate to any Democrats in the last 10 years? If so that's how.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Looks like that progressive tax may be finally coming...but it hits middle and even a lot of low income earners hard. Sorry if this has been talked about here already but a year after a big tax hike, and right after the SALT limits were imposed, this...this is something.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=3522&GAID=14&GA=100&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=105373&SessionID=91

Starting with people who make less than $18k, it's a tax hike. If you make $30k, half of your income will be taxed at 1.32% over the current rate.

edit: specifically, from $15k-$250k the rate is 6.27%. :drat:

6.25%. But it looks like its gonna die in committee hasn't moved since 2/14. And yeah like every other attempt at this it'll be unconstitutional.
So sayeth the Illinois Constitution:

quote:

SECTION 3. LIMITATIONS ON INCOME TAXATION
(a) A tax on or measured by income shall be at a
non-graduated rate. At any one time there may be no more than
one such tax imposed by the State for State purposes on
individuals and one such tax so imposed on corporations. In
any such tax imposed upon corporations the rate shall not
exceed the rate imposed on individuals by more than a ratio
of 8 to 5.
(b) Laws imposing taxes on or measured by income may
adopt by reference provisions of the laws and regulations of
the United States, as they then exist or thereafter may be
changed, for the purpose of arriving at the amount of income
upon which the tax is imposed.
(Source: Illinois Constitution.)

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Why did they write that provision anyway, so dumb

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I doubt anyone will get an amendment to remove the flat tax passed.

They could expand the state tax exemptions and deductions without any tricks or constitutional problems, though.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

They could tax pensions so that people who collect them are paying taxes like the rest of us.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Actually they could tax other retirement accounts (401K and traditional IRA) too like almost every other state does. Illinois has hundreds of people who have income over a million dollars a year from retirement accounts that don't pay a cent of it in taxes. It's one of the dumbest loving things the state does. God forbid we tax upper-middle class and rich people in this state.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Oracle posted:

Hey y’all the 21st (Illinois public radio show about politics) interviewed everyone running for governor (except Rainer who wouldn’t return their calls for some reason heh) and put them and bios etc up on their webpage if you want to hear from the candidates in their own words:
https://will.illinois.edu/21stshow/program/our-interviews-with-seven-of-the-candidates-for-illinois-governor

Thanks again for suggesting good information sources.

I still feel super ill-informed when it comes to commenting on the state's budget problems, but I am doing my best.

When it comes to the Governors race I automatically feel my lip curl when I see commercials for Pritzker, despite knowing almost nothing about him, I am just inherently mistrusting of mega-wealthy running for public office.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Uroboros posted:

Thanks again for suggesting good information sources.

I still feel super ill-informed when it comes to commenting on the state's budget problems, but I am doing my best.

When it comes to the Governors race I automatically feel my lip curl when I see commercials for Pritzker, despite knowing almost nothing about him, I am just inherently mistrusting of mega-wealthy running for public office.
As you should be.

But still, come November, there'll be a billionaire who's already wrecked the state, versus - maybe - a billionaire who hasn't, and is at least saying the right things.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

That wttw interview with Ives was really bad. Tons of softball questions, didn't press hard on anything and even apologized for asking about her voting record.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Pritzker's all TAKE MY MONEY as the primary winds down:

quote:

Democratic governor candidate Chris Kennedy on Friday accused rival J.B. Pritzker of “buying off” elected officials, including local African-American leaders as part of an “apology tour” over 2008 remarks about potential black successors to Barack Obama’s U.S. Senate seat.

Pritzker’s campaign quickly responded with a news conference featuring three African-American aldermen who support Pritzker and said they were insulted by Kennedy’s remarks.

Kennedy’s comments came as Pritzker, a billionaire heir to the Hyatt Hotels fortune, has given more than $700,000 to local Democratic organizations and the campaign accounts of officials across the state, State Board of Elections records showed.

Pritzker gave $110,000 on Wednesday to political funds controlled by Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle. Another $40,000 went to the Cook County Democratic Party, which endorsed him in August. And $35,000 went to Cook County Recorder of Deeds Karen Yarbrough, who also is Proviso Township Democratic chair. Pritzker’s campaign sent $29,500 to Ald. Carrie Austin and her 34th Ward organization; $27,500 to Ald. Emma Mitts’ 37th Ward organization; and $16,000 apiece to campaign funds controlled by 24th Ward Ald. Michael Scott Jr. and to funds controlled by 8th Ward Ald. Michelle Harris.

In addition, Pritzker made contributions of between $5,000 and $10,000 to funds controlled by eight other aldermen.

the kicker:

quote:

Kennedy, an heir to the iconic Massachusetts political family, is counting heavily on support from African-Americans. Kennedy’s father, the late U.S. Sen. Robert F. Kennedy, and uncle, the late President John F. Kennedy, were major figures in the struggle for civil rights.

Among Kennedy’s major supporters is U.S. Rep. Bobby Rush. The Kennedy campaign has paid $26,354 to the congressman’s brother, Marlon Rush, and $17,120 to a son of the congressman, Jeffrey Rush, state election records showed.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Niwrad posted:

Actually they could tax other retirement accounts (401K and traditional IRA) too like almost every other state does. Illinois has hundreds of people who have income over a million dollars a year from retirement accounts that don't pay a cent of it in taxes. It's one of the dumbest loving things the state does. God forbid we tax upper-middle class and rich people in this state.

Those are the people that make big contributions and buy expensive plates at fundraising dinners though!

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

soooo JB lied about all his offshore money being trusts that he inherited. he's involved with multiple offshore companies started within the last decade. billionaires!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...impression=true

“Illinois is bankrupt-plus. You have a hell of a problem. And the question you have to put is: You may want to come in with a platform of raising taxes, but why don’t you begin with telling us how you’ve escaped taxation by being offshore?” Blum said. “How are you separating yourself from the common man here?”

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The Illinois gubernatorial race really is Kang vs Kodos.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

And my inherent distrust of the ultra-rich comes through in spades again! If only votes mattered more than campaign contributions we could do something about it. Isn't democracy wonderful?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Feudalism by another name

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

An ultra wealthy politician hoovering sympathy votes with a heartstrings tugging ad campaign, it's worked a million times before and will continue working until long after we're all dead.

The worst part is they wouldn't do it if it weren't so effective.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Politics in this state is such a loving joke. This election is awful.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I only wish this came out maybe a week ago, to catch more early voters. My gut tells my JB still wins the primary, but I hope not.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

I only wish this came out maybe a week ago, to catch more early voters. My gut tells my JB still wins the primary, but I hope not.

I don't think it's any coincidence at all that the Trib was the one to drop this 6 days before the primary. I mean, it's awesome he's getting called the gently caress out, but there's no way this wasn't a calculated move by what has become a right wing soapbox in many ways.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

If they really wanted to gently caress with him they would have released it right when early voting started.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Big Black Dick posted:

I don't think it's any coincidence at all that the Trib was the one to drop this 6 days before the primary. I mean, it's awesome he's getting called the gently caress out, but there's no way this wasn't a calculated move by what has become a right wing soapbox in many ways.

Oh I'm definitely not shocked this came from the Trib. I feel like they have definitely tried to get Pritzker more than a few times.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Big Black Dick posted:

And my inherent distrust of the ultra-rich comes through in spades again! If only votes mattered more than campaign contributions we could do something about it. Isn't democracy wonderful?

Billionaires are no longer human and should be treated as such.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They do get super/non-human treatment. They're immune to law enforcement and get enormous bonuses when they fail at their job.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Big Black Dick posted:

'Become' would insinuate they weren't always a right-wing rag.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Oracle posted:

'Become' would insinuate they weren't always a right-wing rag.

My work gets the Trib delivered every day, so I peruse it at work. Some things I read and think they're not that bad. Then I see the headline for the John Kass column and I try to keep my head from exploding. The guy follows the right wing talking points to a tee. Today was a thing saying that Elizabeth Warren should get a DNA test to prove if she's Native American.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Kass is such a huge piece of poo poo lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I don't get the Trib but are they all Op-eds

Because 99% of all opeds are trash

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Kass I think is strictly op-ed, but he gets a prominent position. He's on page 2, where the rest of the op-eds are back on like page 10 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Kass I think is strictly op-ed, but he gets a prominent position. He's on page 2, where the rest of the op-eds are back on like page 10 or something.

Yeah Kass is one of those 'lifestyle' columnist types. He's got ins with the cops and the pols and has covered local politics for years (he joined the Trib in 1980) so he has a lot of insider news on it but he's typical Repub.

The reporting at the Tribune is solid but the Op-Ed and columnists are all rock-ribbed Repubs as are the owners.