Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
BWM: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000921045/article/titans-to-sign-malcolm-butler-to-fiveyear-61m-deal

Paying $12m/year for one of the worst corners in the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sports are too easy. There are tons of bad players getting overpaid, and good players being underpaid. BWM is how MLBPA let's it's young stars get severely underpaid, but GWM in how the veterans often get way overpaid to make up for it.

For NFL, see how much the Bears paid Mike Glennon to play like 5 games before they benched him last year. $18 million

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/14/former-equifax-executive-charged-with-insider-trading-ahead-of-data-breach.html

quote:

A former Equifax executive faces insider trading charges by the Securities and Exchange Commission in connection with trades he made before the company announced a massive data breach last summer.

quote:

Because of the trades, Ying was able to avoid $117,000 in losses, the SEC said Wednesday.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

He's retired and an avid coin and money collector. The tellers all love him and will actually put interesting things on the side that come through and he'll sit in the lobby drinking coffee and being a general pain in the rear end for hours. I, being one of two guys in the branch, get to carry out the ingots of coins he orders.

He doesn't like me much because when I first started I told him we weren't a Starbucks and three cups of coffee was more than enough. I didn't know he was one of the couple of people we just put up with for whatever reason. He's brought in some of his neater coins to show us (he has a coin from like 50BC or something and a bunch really cool looking old Roman ones and stuff). He's not a bad guy, but he does this at like all the banks around us. It makes him happy, and according to his wife keeps her from killing him.

Back in the 1990’s a girl and her scuzzy looking boyfriend came to one of our teller windows and proceeded to cash in several hundred hundred dollars in silver quarters her grandfather had given her. The teller recognized the particular silver clink and made an admirable effort to deter her before finally cashing it in and then buying all the coins for himself.

I never got anything good. Back then it was still hypothetically possible to find a $500 bill, but the best I found were 30 year old Travelers Cheques.

If you like old coins, you should check out the Xenopus ancient coin buying and selling thread in SA Mart.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
This is the BWM thread. Overpaying an athlete to play a sport professionally and reducing your odds of winning, but still turning a profit selling tickets & advertising associated with the sport your overpaid employee plays, is good with money.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Bad with money - fraud.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-14/theranos-ceo-elizabeth-holmes-accused-of-fraud-by-sec

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

So how much is she actually worth outside of her stock? That article says the fine is only $500,000 which is probably peanuts for the CEO of a company that size which make the fraud GWM overall.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

So how much is she actually worth outside of her stock? That article says the fine is only $500,000 which is probably peanuts for the CEO of a company that size which make the fraud GWM overall.

Nothing, worthless. Her stock is worthless, she's worthless. She wasn't "the CEO of a company that size (like this was a normal company with traditional executive compensation)," she founded a venture-fired startup and her compensation was always in shares of her moon pie company.

She took deal after deal for venture funding that left her with roughly half the stock of the business and it's since been made worthless. I wouldn't be surprised if the fine bankrupted her completely.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I thought she had a net worth of essentially nothing right now,

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Paper net worth is relative when you're a well connected ex-CEO. You can always secure new funding through rich friends you've made along the way.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

She's not "an ex-CEO" and she'll be lucky if she's not "an ex-con" by the time all of this is over.

She defrauded investors for literally 800 million dollars on the promise she could do something that was and remains impossible.

Elizabeth Holmes was never anybody before Theranos, she was a nice resume at Stanford with a little bit of lab experience and then all of a sudden she's in the right circles and those of us who are in biomedical sciences are like, "hold up what the gently caress she's claiming she can do WHAT?!"

And basically when it comes to life sciences in Silicon Valley everybody wanted to believe the best and also do as little digging as possible.

John Carryrou at the WSJ has done a great series on the company basically making the SEC's case for fraud as a matter of routine journalism.

I have a friend who was hired there who left within 2 weeks because it became suddenly, immediately and overwhelmingly obvious that they had not, would not and in fact could not develop the technology necessary to do the things they claimed it could.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
That's true, she did break the one cardinal rule, you don't gently caress with other rich people's money, you only exploit the lower classes. Example:

https://twitter.com/eugenegu/status/972256286774628352

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

I wonder how the hell someone destroys their life this badly, like whether the lies were the plan all along or if the tech just didn't come together and she was stuck spinning more to buy time. Looking forward to the biopic starring Jennifer Lawrence

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Eldred posted:

I wonder how the hell someone destroys their life this badly, like whether the lies were the plan all along or if the tech just didn't come together and she was stuck spinning more to buy time. Looking forward to the biopic starring Jennifer Lawrence

She was lying about the technology from the beginning. The whole premise of a machine/process that can test for all those different things with a tiny sample was pulled from thin air and is utterly impossible with known techniques. I don't know if she just expected to hire a bunch of geniuses who could magically make whatever voodoo she promised possible, but she had none, literally no basis for the technical promises she was making. This was beyond "buying time"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

She missed the part where she’s supposed to flee the country after the pump and dump.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Was she able to take money out?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Subjunctive posted:

Was she able to take money out?

She owes the company $25M for executed options.

So, no?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Her dad is a super connected ex CIA (most likely, officially was usaid) guy which is how she got kissinger and all these other military guys on the board and secured early funding despite having taken a few general science classes in college

she'll be fine and it's ridiculous she avoided prison so easily

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Her dad was also an Enron executive and James Mattis (the secretary of defense) was on the Theranos board while the fraud was happening. Of COURSE she's escaping significant punishment.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I have a friend who was hired there who left within 2 weeks because it became suddenly, immediately and overwhelmingly obvious that they had not, would not and in fact could not develop the technology necessary to do the things they claimed it could.

EDIT: It was privately held, I'm a dummy. But this guy could've broken one hell of a story.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I buy stocks because I'm pretty sure they're gonna go up...

How can it be wrong to sell them when I know they're about to go down!!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

You know, I learned about Theranos when they first sprang up because I had worked for Walgreens as a tech since 2004 and it sounded fascinating. Despite my ability to work in a lovely industry for a lovely company, I did actually have a couple brain cells to rub together and immediately started bitching about how what they were saying they could do was patently bullshit. I was furious when Wag went and partnered with them--that and a string of similar decisions was basically why I left. So, I don't wanna say 'I told you so,' but I literally told a lot of people that Elizabeth Holmes was a scam artist or actually believed in voodoo. Every single entity which intentionally gave money to Holmes or Theranos 500% deserves to get turbofucked, and if they did it by accident they need to be slapped a couple times until they learn to start paying attention. A lot of patients were directly harmed by this poo poo and every org which got involved has lost all credibility. When your business is supposedly health care, lack of credibility raises an already significant barrier to patient education and compliance.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
CVS doesn't sell smokes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My old employer Cox invested $100 million in Theranos and all of their yearly Powerpoint presentations would tout their diversification into medical technologies. Probably would have been better off investing in Martin Shkreli. He at least might still have a copy of that Wu Tang album.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Theranos in a statement posted:

that it was “pleased to be bringing this matter to a close and looks forward to advancing its technology.”

What do they actually DO? I mean, this is like if Enron showed up today and said they're still shifting new paradigms in a transitioning marketplace :psypop:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

balancedbias posted:

What do they actually DO? I mean, this is like if Enron showed up today and said they're still shifting new paradigms in a transitioning marketplace :psypop:

Fraud is literally all they actually do. Holmes is barred from working in labs for 2 years and isn't sane enough to hide inside a similar company--she's obsessed with being a Steve Jobs-esque proselytizer CEO. What they supposedly did was develop lab tech that would allow a wide array of blood tests using only a single drop of blood, do it cheaper than everyone else, and do it faster than everyone else. What actually happened is that patients went into these clinics inside Walgreens for lab tests their doctors ordered and had small amounts of blood drawn and sent to Theranos, who actually performed the tests using conventional lab equipment in most cases, or returned inaccurate and/or inconsistent results using their own equipment, and took longer to do it. They charged people and CMS for these bunk tests that didn't work. People often had to come back to give more blood. When the cat got out of the bag that Theranos was actually using conventional lab equipment, they claimed they were doing it to validate their results when Holmes managed to poo poo out anything like addressing the issue. They refused to publish any results on their method in peer reviewed journals. They did tests on people using medical devices before even applying for FDA approval.

Theranos was so bad that it seems they didn't even have reliable finger stick glucose tests. This is a test that gives accurate, consistent results using a small drop of blood in a handheld machine that manufacturers literally give away (to get you to buy the strips but still).

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

:capitalism:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

So if I sell MLM whatever I will still be eligible for food stamps? Sounds like a good use of my time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Holy poo poo this entire thing, in the subreddit for making fun of bitcoiners, of all places:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Buttcoin/comments/84ebq9/i_bought_in_please_help/

Guy loses his shirt in Crypto. Same old story

quote:

OK, so I lost my job about a month ago. I was looking for ways to making money and came across some crypto hype and wound up getting sucked in. Only a little at first, but it got more and more addictive. I've been consuming crypto firendly media exclusively and pretty much became a devotee. Until I came across this sub-- this morning has really opened my eyes. Not only are /r/buttcoin users exponentially smarter than crypto holders, but they seem to have a much better grasp on blockchain technology and its limitations that butters do.

Now, on to what I did. By only listening to the circlejerk crypto media and other crypto enthusiasts, I decided to cash out my 401k and dump it into projects that I thought were promising. Most of my positions are pretty small and I can deal with losing them, but the bulk of my money is in one project in particular. It's called Jibrel Network.
As you might imagine, the price of JNT has completely tanked. I bought into the dollar cost average meme and now my life is basically ruined. It's gonna take a miracle just to get back into the black and I've lost all faith in cryptos after watching butters flail around trying to argue their case and ultimately getting obliterated. It's kind of funny in a sick way except that my entire life savings is now tied up in this ponzi.

Ok, so guy made a really stupid mistake and understands it, and posts about it to the people who have been calling it dumb the whole time. What makes it special? Read on.

quote:

Should I just cut my losses and walk away now? Or do I try to get my money back?

And is he responding to helpful advice in the comments? You know he is.

quote:

quote:

Invest in index funds, conservative mutual funds, your Roth IRA, etc. Trying to pick stocks is basically gambling, building a conservative portfolio that returns 6-10% per year is a retirement plan.

I still have a margin account with fidelity. Do you know of any good plays coming up? I still think $SNAP is gonna tank sooner or later I'd love to get a piece of that

quote:

quote:

Those guys are basing their picks on decades of experience and algorithms I don't even remotely understand. You have to do research and pick one with a good track record.

That's why I specified conservative mutual funds along with index and IRAs, not hedge funds. You want to build a conservative portfolio that's going to slowly make you enough money to retire, not some get rich quick scheme. /r/personalfinance can probably give you better advice than I can.

I hear you, but I'm just not that kind of person. I'm more of a./r/wallstreetbets kind of guy. Like my dad always said "I'm not gonna line some rear end in a top hat's pockets to do a job I could do myself". I'll bounce back, I always do.

He does say he thinks about suicide, but he also says he isn't serious, so there probably is some mental health stuff going on to temper some of the ridicule.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

What is the draw of MLMs for SAHMs?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Cacafuego posted:

You want a career and to feel like you’re contributing beyond raising the kids but you’re too busy for a “real” job. MLM is something you can do in your normal daily routine. Plus they sell you hard on self empowerment.

Edit: Emotional drag of being a SAHM is real for a lot of people. My mom was chomping at the bit to get it and work again.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

NancyPants posted:

Fraud is literally all they actually do. Holmes is barred from working in labs for 2 years and isn't sane enough to hide inside a similar company--she's obsessed with being a Steve Jobs-esque proselytizer CEO. What they supposedly did was develop lab tech that would allow a wide array of blood tests using only a single drop of blood, do it cheaper than everyone else, and do it faster than everyone else. What actually happened is that patients went into these clinics inside Walgreens for lab tests their doctors ordered and had small amounts of blood drawn and sent to Theranos, who actually performed the tests using conventional lab equipment in most cases, or returned inaccurate and/or inconsistent results using their own equipment, and took longer to do it. They charged people and CMS for these bunk tests that didn't work. People often had to come back to give more blood. When the cat got out of the bag that Theranos was actually using conventional lab equipment, they claimed they were doing it to validate their results when Holmes managed to poo poo out anything like addressing the issue. They refused to publish any results on their method in peer reviewed journals. They did tests on people using medical devices before even applying for FDA approval.

Theranos was so bad that it seems they didn't even have reliable finger stick glucose tests. This is a test that gives accurate, consistent results using a small drop of blood in a handheld machine that manufacturers literally give away (to get you to buy the strips but still).

Oh I know what Theranos was supposed to be working on (it was fun lunchtime talk because even the dietary people at the hospital knew it was bullshit from the way we disparaged it). What I meant was what are they doing now that it's all exposed? Why do they still exist?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

NancyPants posted:

Fraud is literally all they actually do.
How gullible do investors have to be before it's not fraud any more? Because this case really toes that line. 90% of any forensics lab, medical analytical lab, or people with any sort of biomed experience could tell you she was peddling snake oil.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Snake oil must have an exceptionally high smoke point.

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

SAHMs are the right combination of often being short on cash because living on one income is hard (and also possibly not having control over that money), having lots of friends to potentially sell to, free time, and sometimes a lack of experience with actual jobs and how businesses work. MLMs are huge in Utah, for example, because Mormon families are very patriarchal and this could theoretically allow women to contribute financially to the home, or get some spending cash for herself.

MLMs can totally prey on other demographics, but SAHMs have all the right ingredients for wanting to believe the promises of the MLM and not having the savvy to recognize it as a scam.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

balancedbias posted:

Oh I know what Theranos was supposed to be working on (it was fun lunchtime talk because even the dietary people at the hospital knew it was bullshit from the way we disparaged it). What I meant was what are they doing now that it's all exposed? Why do they still exist?

Yes, they've gotten an injection of 100m. Their only viable product is the miniLab:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/blood-testing-firm-theranos-gets-100-million-lifeline-from-fortress-1514057523

quote:

After closing its laboratories in California and Arizona, Theranos has refocused its strategy on commercializing a device called the miniLab that miniaturizes various lab instruments and packs them into one box. However, this strategy requires getting the box approved by the Food and Drug Administration. For now, the only application Theranos is working on submitting to the agency is for a test to detect Zika, the mosquito-borne virus that causes severe brain malformations in infants, with the device.

Theranos recently got a paper about the miniLab accepted for publication by the scientific journal Bioengineering & Translational Medicine, but it doesn’t include any data from small fingerstick samples—the technological advance Ms. Holmes had once touted as revolutionary. Instead, the data is based on blood samples obtained the traditional way, with a needle in the arm, according to a person familiar with the paper.

Theranos was a black box led by a dictator (Holmes) and her cronies (a bunch of generals), who have no actual domain knowledge relevant to the company. It sounds like there's a small change in the company, maybe Holmes is no longer at the helm or she's actually taking advice from others. The shift from Edison machine to miniLab is hilarious. They've gone from attempting to replace hundreds of conventional blood tests to a (traditional) blood test for a relatively easy to detect organism.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Krispy Wafer posted:

The teller recognized the particular silver clink and made an admirable effort to deter her before finally cashing it in and then buying all the coins for himself.

Im just curious: how is that sort of thing handled? Did your bank have a proper process for staff buying the coins, or did he just have someone watch as he replaced the coins with notes out of his own pocket?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Weatherman posted:

Im just curious: how is that sort of thing handled? Did your bank have a proper process for staff buying the coins, or did he just have someone watch as he replaced the coins with notes out of his own pocket?

I asked a teller at work something like thisa long time ago, basically as long as it is witnessed and the count comes up, you are ok. They would go out of their way to make sure everything is counted up right. I think this came up because of them was collecting quarters or something and would dig through the change before it was rolled up. That was some ago though, I imagine polices changed.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

balancedbias posted:

https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/773394312692457472

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/84huks/i_just_discovered_that_i_owe_the_irs_50k_that_i/

quote:

I make $47k a year at my job as an office assistant.

At the advice of my friends, I took most of my savings and bought 8 bitcoins back in early 2017 for about $7200. You can imagine how I felt when it went up. Around December 2017, I got caught up in the altcoins frenzy and sold most of my bitcoins (about $120k worth) to buy a bunch of different coins. I didn't know this back then but it looks like I owe income taxes on those trades, which adds up to about $50k if I add up state (California) and federal. But with the crash that happened recently, I added up my altcoins and I only have like $30k worth. I only have about $5k in other savings.

How do I pay this? Do I have to sell my altcoins, and give them what I can? Or is there some workaround?

Is all my savings gone now? I feel like I might have accidentally ruined my life because I didn't know about the taxes...