Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Willo567 posted:

I didn't mean senate confirmation

And I'm not worried about him convincing Trump to attack Russia or China, but North Korea, just because of how badly they could damage South Korea and Japan

You seem to be conveniently forgetting Iran, and judging by his psychotic twitter feed, Pakistan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/NBCPolitics/status/974002885678821376
A few hundred dollars per school, all else about this aside.

What about churches, nightclubs, movie theaters, work places?

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

boner confessor posted:

not euphoria but nitrogen doesn't cause the co2 buildup that induces panic. you just dont get enough oxygen and pass out within seconds. it's the same process that ends up killing people who work in anoxic environments, it happens so quick that someone dies and someone else sees the passed out/dead person and goes "oh poo poo i need to save that person" and then they go in the hole and die too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2ItJe2Incs

Nitrogen Narcosis is a thing, but I don't think you'd be conscious long enough to really experience it if you are just breathing 100% Nitrogen at normal atmosphere pressures. It happens to scuba divers as you go deeper because the increase in pressure causes you to absorbed higher levels of nitrogen into your blood.

brockan
Mar 9, 2014

Rigel posted:

The national security advisor does not require senate confirmation.

If Trump appoints Bolton, then the odds that he is talked into doing something apocalyptically stupid would increase but would still probably be small.

If it gets to that point, I honestly don't know what would stop him, or how it could be "small" . He's going to have all the nutcases he could ever want, whispering in his ear to go ahead and act on his worse impulses, because it's what they're hoping for as well.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

boner confessor posted:

they do, frequently but americans are a violent people

When I said "tell us," I meant "make us."

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Dmitri-9 posted:

Sorry, we can only pretend to address gun violence in schools, not gun violence as a whole.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/matthewnussbaum/status/974007064770072576?s=21
Welp, so who's going to replace her?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

KillHour posted:

When I said "tell us," I meant "make us."

The UN couldn't force us to tie our shoes.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

He's running

https://twitter.com/JonathanTamari/status/974005108559183872

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dmitri-9 posted:

"Free Market will take care of that. How, gently caress if I know, but it will."

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Rigel posted:

If Trump appoints Bolton, then the odds that he is talked into doing something apocalyptically stupid would increase but would still probably be small.
Does that increase if Trump does force him to shave his moustache?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Sessions

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

brockan posted:

If it gets to that point, I honestly don't know what would stop him, or how it could be "small" . He's going to have all the nutcases he could ever want, whispering in his ear to go ahead and act on his worse impulses, because it's what they're hoping for as well.

Small is less than 5% during the remainder of his term in office, but in this case anything higher than 0.5% is terrifyingly too high.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Yawn.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I still don't understand how humanely killing someone is supposed to be a worse punishment than making them waste their life in a prison cell until they wither away and die of old age, having years to contemplate their actions and the pain they caused others.

Not to mention the absolutely zero evidence that the threat of harsh punishments actually have a measurable effect on crime.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rick perry's state executed a 100 percent innocent person when he was governor.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

What if we put nitrogen tanks in all the schools so students can just hide in classrooms and we just flood the halls with nitrogen, killing the shooter. Problem solved, bing bang boom.

Also, just another side note your body detects CO2 so much better I'd guess because it rapidly starts changing the PH of things as it builds up. I don't know chemically what detectable effect lack of oxygen your body could quickly pick up on other than your brain realizing, "Oh, I'm passing out and dying".

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The UN couldn't force us to tie our shoes.

I know :(

Nurse Fanny
Aug 14, 2007

Siljmonster posted:

Sure, thats fine. But going about figuring your heritage with genetic testing is fascism and eugenics.

my wife and i found out that we are carriers for some devastating genetic diseases which could present in our unborn child thanks to 23andme

but yeah its eugenics and fascism you dingus

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Dietrich posted:

I still don't understand how humanely killing someone is supposed to be a worse punishment than making them waste their life in a prison cell until they wither away and die of old age, having years to contemplate their actions and the pain they caused others.

Not to mention the absolutely zero evidence that the threat of harsh punishments actually have a measurable effect on crime.

i think you'll find that 18th century england was nigh-on crime free

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nurse Fanny posted:

my wife and i found out that we are carriers for some devastating genetic diseases which could present in our unborn child thanks to 23andme

but yeah its eugenics and fascism you dingus

tay-sachs?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I don't agree at all. A debate between Biden and Trump would be pretty entertaining.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 14, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dietrich posted:

IIRC it has an effect on crime, it makes it worse. It makes sense, who is going to peacefully surrender if they know they are going to get executed?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cru Jones posted:

I don't know chemically what detectable effect lack of oxygen your body could quickly pick up on other than your brain realizing, "Oh, I'm passing out and dying".

you aren't even aware you're dying, you just get really disoriented and confused then pass out

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rigel posted:

I don't agree at all. A debate between Biden andTrump would be pretty entertaining.

It would be entertaining without the context of either one of those men aiming to become president in 2020.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Having recently been up in the Colorado mountains, trust me, I knew I was dying.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Can the UN tell the US to stop executing people? No because China and Russia and other countries are really into it. These countries are also in the UN.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Rigel posted:

I don't agree at all. A debate between Biden andTrump would be pretty entertaining.

Would it include more Trump chair loving?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

AceOfFlames posted:

In other words, is it a Volkswagen?

Or a Toyota, or a Ford, or a Fiat, or a BMW or a Mercedes...pretty much if your whip ain't a Peugeot or a Lada, it has a bit of fascism on it.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I'm interested in doing a DNA test because I really want to know how many hundred of different races hosed each other incessantly to result in the perfectly ethnically average human that I am

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Office Pig posted:

You seem to be conveniently forgetting Iran, and judging by his psychotic twitter feed, Pakistan.

I know that Bolton wants war with Iran, but right now they don't possess nuclear weapons, at least to my knowledge

Where did he say on Twitter that we should go to war with Pakistan?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dietrich posted:

Well simultaneously push for prison reform so it’s not a living hell.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vladimir Putin posted:

Can the UN tell the US to stop executing people? No because China and Russia and other countries are really into it. These countries are also in the UN.

I thought everyone agreed those were all the bad guys though.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Zil posted:

Would it include more Trump chair loving?

I'd like to think Joe would openly mock him if it did

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/PageSix/status/974003772212039680

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

yes, actually, he can. what did you think "without a new senate hearing" meant.

the only ambiguity, from what i understand is, if he can use the vacancies reform act to appoint the already-confirmed flunky if sessions is fired rather than following the doj succession

I'm really not sure how you can slot "fired" into the act's requirements:

(a) If an officer of an Executive agency (including the Executive Office of the President, and other than the General Accounting Office) whose appointment to office is required to be made by the President, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, dies, resigns, or is otherwise unable to perform the functions and duties of the office-

A firing would be a Removal, not a Resignation. That language is fairly consistently used throughout the code and regulations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Koalas March posted:

My hot take: The death penalty is bad and should be abolished.

"B-b-but...when California abolished the death penalty, CHARLES MANSON happened!:aaaaa:" -literally my parents (like 15 years ago, they're less dumb now but still)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've never seen a more dopey looking couple. Are they even trying to smile?

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/973993872543100935

so sessions will be getting fired soon, trump will appoint an already-confirmed flunky to kill the investigation without a new senate hearing

sounds like it's almost time for infrastructure week!

Sorry, I think I'm missing something dumb: why wouldn't he need a new senate hearing for AG and SOS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

it's impossible for any of the large trump sons to not look like McPoyle brothers in all their pictures.

also, :laffo:

• Locked thread