Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Dwesa posted:

Leading? :eyepop:

I went to this web site and its 1) forum posts, 2) patreon-gated reviews, 3) reviews from 10+ years ago when bad writing was okay because it was just the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Peanut Butler posted:

I went to this web site and its 1) forum posts, 2) patreon-gated reviews, 3) reviews from 10+ years ago when bad writing was okay because it was just the internet

Finally a site where I have a chance at employment.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

bessantj posted:

: Finally a site where I have a chance at employment.

What a good avatar

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
RIP

Orv
May 4, 2011
And nothing of value was lost.

(I say this as someone who likes FO3, as well.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Aw what the gently caress, that mod was shaping up to be amazing.

I'm calling bullshit, Tale of Two Wastelands is still up and working just fine because it requires owning both games. There's clearly a way to do it and have whiny idiot game publisher lawyers be okay with it. I don't buy their saying that it's impossible, not with Gamebryo being so easy to port stuff between games.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 14, 2018

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

FO4:NV is still being worked on too, though. So it's not all bad news?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

CJacobs posted:

Aw what the gently caress, that mod was shaping up to be amazing.

I'm calling bullshit, Tale of Two Wastelands is still up and working just fine because it requires owning both games. There's clearly a way to do it and have whiny idiot game publisher lawyers be okay with it. I don't buy their saying that it's impossible, not with Gamebryo being so easy to port stuff between games.

The reason that ToTW worked was because New Vegas runs on a fork of the Fallout 3 version of Gamebryo. There are some differences, but New Vegas was designed out of the box to be a stand alone spinoff title that reused a lot of 3's final assets and data. Bethesda's fork of Gamebryo, the Creation Engine, doesn't care about backwards compatibility with Gamebryo titles at all. You can't port all the content from Oblivion or Fallout 3 to Skyrim. You can't port all the content from Skyrim to Fallout 4.

That said, I'm curious as to what kind of legal issue they're facing with the voice acting. I figure that they could create some software to take the original voice files and convert them to the format that Fallout 4 needs.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

That would be using assets from a completely different game, effectively stealing them. None of the graphical or other assets they were using were from Fallout 3, I imagine.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kavak posted:

That would be using assets from a completely different game, effectively stealing them. None of the graphical or other assets they were using were from Fallout 3, I imagine.

No, you own both games. You, the game player, have to own both games, the installer just does the switcheroo of files from one place to another. That's how Tale of Two Wastelands worked and there was never any trouble over that, so why not just do that for the voice files from Fallout 3 to 4? Again, the end user does this so nobody's taking anything from anybody. No Fallout 3 assets are redistributed, just copied from the game that you own to the other game that you own.

Obviously it wouldn't work for the other assets, the engines are different now, but how different could the voice files be? (If they can't use them, I assume Very)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

That's how Tale of Two Wastelands worked and there was never any trouble over that, so why not just do that for the voice files from Fallout 3 to 4?

I'm not sure that's possible.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Midnight Voyager posted:

Obviously it wouldn't work for the other assets, the engines are different now, but how different could the voice files be? (If they can't use them, I assume Very)

They're packaged as different file types, so very incompatible. At the same time, though, I don't know what's stopping them from making audio conversion a part of the install process.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Couldn't you literally just rename mp3s and place them in Oblivion? I'm sure it's not that way anymore.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

turn off the TV posted:

They're packaged as different file types, so very incompatible. At the same time, though, I don't know what's stopping them from making audio conversion a part of the install process.

Yeah, I remember running an audio converter and some stuff to run a custom radio station in New Vegas. Leaves a bit of room for error, but it is doable.

I can only assume the issue is more complicated.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Midnight Voyager posted:

Yeah, I remember running an audio converter and some stuff to run a custom radio station in New Vegas. Leaves a bit of room for error, but it is doable.

I can only assume the issue is more complicated.

I'm not sure if it actually is more complicated or that those involved in these two projects are just really dumb.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

I'm not sure if it actually is more complicated or that those involved in these two projects are just really dumb.

Maybe they realized they were in way over their head and this was a good excuse to ditch and run.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Apparently the claimed issue is Bethesda said that even client-side conversion of audio from FO3 -> FO4 formats was said legally problematic from their perspective for some reason?

Which apparently doesn't affect FO3 in NV (since no conversion?) or any of the other conversion projects (Skyblivion etc)? Different VO contracts? Dunno.

EDIT: Apparently there is precedent - a similar thing happened in Morroblivion, some textures from Morrowind weren't able to be converted over to Oblivion for legal reasons, so they were remade. I guess this is a similar issue with the FO3 voice-work, but on a larger more problematic scale.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 14, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The issue that Morroblivion probably ran into was distribution rather than conversion. You can't convert things like meshes and textures to newer formats in the same way that you can convert .mp3 files to .ogg, the latter can be almost entirely automated and the former needs to be done manually.

I really can't think of a reason to drop the mod because of sound files other than not knowing that it is, in fact, legal to convert .mp3 files to .ogg so long as you don't share said .ogg files.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 14, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If their excuse was that developing their own middleware to batch convert the files from the old format to the new one was too difficult or not part of their plan, then I'd accept that. Because it is definitely possible, otherwise there wouldn't be any mods on the nexus that port FO3/New Vegas content to 4 (of which there are several), but it may just be outside their scope. What we've been told though is that it's a legal situation with no way around it according to Bethsoft and so they have to stop, which is clearly untrue.

edit: But even then, like you say, the tools already exist elsewhere so surely they could be copied or even better just packaged in with the installer like with Tale of Two Wastelands.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 14, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

CJacobs posted:

What we've been told though is that it's a legal situation with no way around it according to Bethsoft and so they have to stop, which is clearly untrue.

It is not clearly untrue. We know nothing about the license terms from the voice talent, but it is certainly not impossible that (a) they do not permit use other than in the final Fallout 3 and (b) they require Bethesda to police third parties to the extent possible regarding (a).

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

You can't convert things like meshes and textures to newer formats in the same way that you can convert .mp3 files to .ogg, the latter can be almost entirely automated and the former needs to be done manually.
Not true? Requires knowledge of the underlying formats and may not always be possible if features are very different.

e.g. Skyrim Special meshes have an automated conversion tool to upgrade old nifs from Skyrim.

Counter example is FO4 textures changed how some of the texture maps were interpreted resulting in actual need to rework them.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 14, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ulmont posted:

It is not clearly untrue. We know nothing about the license terms from the voice talent, but it is certainly not impossible that (a) they do not permit use other than in the final Fallout 3 and (b) they require Bethesda to police third parties to the extent possible regarding (a).

It's clearly untrue because Tale of Two Wastelands exists and would violate that policy. Tale of Two Wastelands requires both games to be installed but it doesn't read the files from one directory to the other, it copies them to a shared directory and uses that instead.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

lurksion posted:

Not true? Requires knowledge of the underlying formats and may not always be possible if features are very different.

e.g. Skyrim Special meshes have an automated conversion tool to upgrade old nifs from Skyrim.

Counter example is FO4 textures changed how some of the texture maps were interpreted resulting in actual need to rework them.

Skyrim to also Skyrim is very different than Morrowind to Oblivion.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

CJacobs posted:

It's clearly untrue because Tale of Two Wastelands exists and would violate that policy. Tale of Two Wastelands requires both games to be installed but it doesn't read the files from one directory to the other, it copies them to a shared directory and uses that instead.

That doesn't make it untrue, it just means there is an aspect at play here we aren't privy to.

Consider it thoughtfully for a moment, the options for 'untrue' are...

The FO4/3 team are lying with really nothing at all to gain in the slightest

or Bethesda is lying to them about there being an issue but 1) Why would they bother lying when they have any number of legitimate rights muscles to flex and 2) That still kills the project in it's boots anyway, unless you wanna take them to court to prove it isn't true??

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

What happened to that Ultima 5 remake using Dungeon Siege? I think the creators made it so that the mod will only install if you have a copy of the original Ultima 5 installed in your PC as well.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Tale of Two Wastelands is probably just as illegal as F4CW is. Maybe the only difference is that the CW team asked Bethesda about legal matters and the TTW team didn't.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

The MSJ posted:

What happened to that Ultima 5 remake using Dungeon Siege? I think the creators made it so that the mod will only install if you have a copy of the original Ultima 5 installed in your PC as well.

Ultima V: Lazarus.

Nope. I have U5 of course, but I didn't have it installed. Played almost all the way through it before a weird ship bug left me with no way to finish the game. :(

I know they got around the music problem by just composing their own versions of everything - not sure about any other assets, but there certainly wasn't a "conversion" process that I could see.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Simsmagic posted:

Tale of Two Wastelands is probably just as illegal as F4CW is. Maybe the only difference is that the CW team asked Bethesda about legal matters and the TTW team didn't.

My understanding is that they were planning to pull audio assets out of Fallout 3 and put them into the mod for download. This is different from Take of Two Wastelands, which just includes an extractor that pulls the necessary files from an already existing installation. By comparison, the New Vegas in Fallout 4 project has decided to continue by just redubbing all of the dialogue which is... ambitious, to say the least.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 14, 2018

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
The issue is complex as hell. There are a half dozen possible reasons.

Under the DMCA circumventing the copy-protection system, no matter how poorly done is a crime. From the legal lens of a moron looking at the absolute bare bones facts, the middleware needed to pull all the assets and convert them to a new engine could possibly count as circumvention. Plus scripting all that into an installer would be a massive MASSIVE pain in the dick, and would require some specific skillsets to get done in a way that doesn't just gently caress everything up forever on any machine other than the test build box.

Contractual obligations. The VA's contract might have explicitly specified 'for use in FO3 and DLC titles of same only' to keep them from being hosed if Bethesda decides to reprise their role in FO4 or some lovely browser game or whatever. Bethesda might not give a poo poo, but let them know that the VA's contract agency or whatever doesn't like what they're hearing and just FYI you'll get your asses sued off.

Distribution issues. Bethesda retains sole rights to distribute any assets they created, so packing up and making available for download all the special sauce, VA work and sound files is something Bethesda needs to care about to maintain a bunch of legal rights as a game developer. They can circumvent it to an extent with the EULA in the game concerning mods, but using assets they got under license from others, or work done by other groups could run afoul of issues.

It most likely is a combination of bits and pieces of the above issues. Without knowing specifically what issues were raised, all we can do is hope someone comes up with the middleware so FA4:NV sounds exactly the same as FONV did.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

On the other hand, the software needed to open BSA files already exists, the software to convert .mp3 to .ogg already exists, voice actor contracts have no impact on this, and there is no actual reason or need to redistribute the original sound files.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

turn off the TV posted:

On the other hand, the software needed to open BSA files already exists, the software to convert .mp3 to .ogg already exists, voice actor contracts have no impact on this, and there is no actual reason or need to redistribute the original sound files.

The VA contracts might have quite a bit to do with it, prohibiting derivative works that include their VA work would be a pretty standard contract clause, and it's on Bethesda to enforce it. The fact that the entire mod is a legal gray area doesn't help things, especially if the legal team for Liam Neeson or Ron Perlman complain at Bethesda. A C&D letter is easy to send and expensive to fight, easier to pass the buck to the modders than deal with it yourself.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
It doesn't include their va work

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If they were selling the mod you'd have a point, but they aren't, it's free. You also would have a point if including the sound files in the mod download was their only option, but it's not, there are alternatives that they've decided not to explore.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
itt people bend over backwards to defend a corporation

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

CJacobs posted:

If they were selling the mod you'd have a point, but they aren't, it's free. You also would have a point if including the sound files in the mod download was their only option, but it's not, there are alternatives that they've decided not to explore.

That's not how those contracts work. Bethesda licenses the voicework which means that someone else owns it and can decide if they want to release it's use for derivative projects. You can certainly try to make the argument that it would count as fair use, but given that it's literally remaking the original work, i'd have a hard time buying it, and from the sounds of it their legal advisor came to the same conclusion.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 14, 2018

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

If it was just sound files they would've said that. It's specifically voice work that prevents the project from being completed. It is 100% about voice actor contracts. I don't know why you're being purposefully dense about this.

As for TTW, because they share an engine, it's not them porting 3 into NV. It's them putting NV systems into 3 and putting models from the other games into each other. It's extremely different than recreating an entire game in a different engine.

Anywhich way though, it's a ton of hassle to get around to recreate a poo poo game. Like someone trying to use the DO4M engine to remake Doom64.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nasgate posted:

If it was just sound files they would've said that. It's specifically voice work that prevents the project from being completed. It is 100% about voice actor contracts. I don't know why you're being purposefully dense about this.

As for TTW, because they share an engine, it's not them porting 3 into NV. It's them putting NV systems into 3 and putting models from the other games into each other. It's extremely different than recreating an entire game in a different engine.

Anywhich way though, it's a ton of hassle to get around to recreate a poo poo game. Like someone trying to use the DO4M engine to remake Doom64.

Reminder of the thing I said like 2 posts ago that the files are extracted from both games and then copied into a shared directory for use in the mod, a thing that you and the other internet lawyer guy are saying is what's causing the problem when Bethsoft very obviously doesn't care because TTW has existed without conflict for 8 years despite getting the exact same news coverage as this new project.

Also, their distribution license doesn't matter because nothing is being redistributed.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

You can't actually sue someone for distributing your copyrighted material as part of a derivative work if they are not, in fact, distributing your copyrighted material in a derivative work.

Nasgate posted:

Meanwhile, one second in google later:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Keeshhound posted:

That's not how those contracts work. Bethesda licenses the voicework which means that someone else owns it and can decide if they want to release it's use for derivative projects. You can certainly try to make the argument that it would count as fair use, but given that it's literally remaking the original work, i'd have a hard time buying it, and from the sounds of it their legal advisor came to the same conclusion.
Thing is, a lawyer saying "nah don't do that" is an entirely different matter from the question of whether any of the IP-holders would actually take the case to court. Or whether they would win. DMCA and copyright laws make exceptions to allow copying/modification/conversion for private use without redistribution, so they would have a significant chance of losing (which also sets a precedent they might not want)

efb. ^^ yeah there's also a very real chance the judge would just toss the case immediately

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bethesda's Fallout sucks more than inexpert legal arguments made from incomplete knowledge.