Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Automated blinds are like a DVR--you have no idea how much you needed them until you've had them and then not had them.

If you are doing new construction, somfy is tough to beat for reliabilty but you are going to be paying a fortune. I'm hoping we get zwave blind/drapes with PoE motors in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

HycoCam posted:

Automated blinds are like a DVR--you have no idea how much you needed them until you've had them and then not had them.

If you are doing new construction, somfy is tough to beat for reliabilty but you are going to be paying a fortune. I'm hoping we get zwave blind/drapes with PoE motors in the near future.

I really wish there was more consumer level PoE. So many little things that would be handy. And running low voltage wiring is a lot less of a hassle than electrical wiring.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

HycoCam posted:

I'm hoping we get zwave blind/drapes with PoE motors in the near future.
If they're PoE why bother with zwave? Just control them over the ethernet wire you're already running.

On that note I believe it's Ubiquiti actually sells a camera that's that stupid, it uses PoE for power but communicates solely over WiFi.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wolrah posted:

If they're PoE why bother with zwave? Just control them over the ethernet wire you're already running.

Using what protocol? There are lots of tools for controlling Z-wave stuff that are nice to use, versus installing software somewhere for a custom HTTP thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is there a way to check what Hue lights are doing? Something is making mine turn on at 10 PM every night, and I can't find any automations I set up in anything that might cause it. The app doesn't seem to have anything for diagnostics, and I'm pretty close to just resetting the whole thing and starting over, which seems like a pain in the rear end.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Is there a way to check what Hue lights are doing? Something is making mine turn on at 10 PM every night, and I can't find any automations I set up in anything that might cause it. The app doesn't seem to have anything for diagnostics, and I'm pretty close to just resetting the whole thing and starting over, which seems like a pain in the rear end.

~~Spooky Home Automation Chillers~~~

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
I dunno, I wouldn't call it "peak laziness" -- it's somewhere on a broad laziness spectrum. Some rooms have a lot of individual shades that would be annoying to adjust. My living room has really wide (>80") rollers that have a gear ratio that makes them either slow to open/close or require an annoying amount of force. Being able to push a button and say "start opening all of them to save you 45s" is probably way less lazy than something that lets you press a button to avoid walking 10' to the light switch.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 12, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Subjunctive posted:

Using what protocol? There are lots of tools for controlling Z-wave stuff that are nice to use, versus installing software somewhere for a custom HTTP thing.
I have no counter-argument, but the idea of having a thing that has a perfectly good 100/1000mbit ethernet connection hooked up but is actually doing all of its things over some low-bandwidth wireless mesh bothers me.

Nothing wrong with supporting wireless control in addition, but if it just uses ethernet as a power source and can't also be controlled over that I'd be disappointed.

If there are no standard protocols for doing this sort of stuff over ethernet, my preference would be to do something simple like encapsulating z-wave packets in UDP and broadcasting or multicasting them on the wire. Minimize reinvention of wheels and such, anything that knows how to speak z-wave like Home Assistant could be adapted to support it relatively easily.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Do you have an echo? When I first setup Echo's home automation stuff it did all sorts of strange stuff, including copying an old hue routine that I had off and not used in forever and decided to run it herself. It didn't show up in Hue apps, and even when I deleted it in hue it still ran till I found and deleted it in the echo app.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Hubis posted:

I dunno, I wouldn't call it "peak laziness" -- it's somewhere on a broad laziness spectrum. Some rooms have a lot of individual shades that would be annoying to adjust. My living room has really wide (<80") rollers that have a gear ratio that makes them either slow to open/close or require an annoying amount of force. Being able to push a button and say "start opening all of them to save you 45s" is probably way less lazy than something that lets you press a button to avoid walking 10' to the light switch.

Auto shades/blinds are high on my list of automation wants. Probably the highest atm. Mainly its just a pita to pull the shades shut so i can nap or watch a movie then my wife comes along and opens them and then i have to shut again and eventually its kust gently caress it, they stay open forever.

Like i get it. My hue lights are silly but fun. Same with video doorbell. Hell even my garage door opening from my phone is only because it was so easy to install, not a necessity. Controlling the blinds with a phone or alexa would be amazing to me.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Auto blinds are my next big purchase too.

Right now my living room has two 96" wide windows with horrible vertical blinds that don't do squat for light dimming or heat/cooling. They hardly ever get closed, and I'm pretty sure I waste a ton of heat every winter because of it. Shades that close at sunset automatically every night will probably pay for themselves in no time just from the fuel oil savings, and having them open up in the morning so we don't have to think about it while also getting the baby breakfast, and everything else in a busy morning will just be icing on the cake.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wolrah posted:

I have no counter-argument, but the idea of having a thing that has a perfectly good 100/1000mbit ethernet connection hooked up but is actually doing all of its things over some low-bandwidth wireless mesh bothers me.

Yeah, if I had a device for which my usage was limited by zwave bandwidth or latency, I’d want to use the ETH PHY. Mostly I don’t expect to be streaming video from my blinds, so I don’t think I’d care. Simplicity is worth a lot in systems design!

E: I want autoblinds for the window wells in my basement, because they’ll be annoying to reach if they aren’t automatic.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Endless Mike posted:

Lightbow basically summarizes everything that's happening on the hub, although it isn't necessarily easy to interpret the information from the app into something useful.

I think there's a way to purge all alarms although it might be something you have to do from meethue.com.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My next project if I ever have free time again is to copy one of the ESP8266+servo cheap miniblinds projects I’ve seen around. Seems fairly easy with HomeAssistant. Maybe 3d print a little LiPo pack I can velcro up and charge as needed.

Laziness or not, I’m just tired of my wife leaving the kitchen blinds open at night so the little old gossip across the street gets to see me in my skivvies at 2am.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rick posted:

Lightbow basically summarizes everything that's happening on the hub, although it isn't necessarily easy to interpret the information from the app into something useful.

I think there's a way to purge all alarms although it might be something you have to do from meethue.com.

Oh I found it now. I had an IFTTT trigger that sets my lights to a softer white, which turns them all to that color.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I'm looking for a hidden camera I can put in music studio in the event that someone breaks in and steals my poo poo. This is what I'm looking for:

- Doesn't look like a camera or a thing that someone would also want to steal
- Can record to an SD card either continuously or when movement is detected and overwrite as needed
- Audio recording can be disabled
- Doesn't require an internet connection beyond initial setup and ideally wifi can be disabled completely

There's a bunch of hidden camera alarm clocks on Amazon that seem like they'd work but I'm suspicious of them because all of the positive reviews (of which there are many) sound like were written by some kind of content farm and there isn't much information otherwise.

Does anyone have a recommendation they can make?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Endless Mike posted:

Oh I found it now. I had an IFTTT trigger that sets my lights to a softer white, which turns them all to that color.

Oh yeah that'll do it. IFTTT is both the best and worst thing for Hue.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Sexy Randal posted:

I'm looking for a hidden camera I can put in music studio in the event that someone breaks in and steals my poo poo. This is what I'm looking for:

- Can record to an SD card either continuously or when movement is detected and overwrite as needed
- Doesn't require an internet connection beyond initial setup and ideally wifi can be disabled completely

There's a bunch of hidden camera alarm clocks on Amazon that seem like they'd work but I'm suspicious of them because all of the positive reviews (of which there are many) sound like were written by some kind of content farm and there isn't much information otherwise.

I bought one of these for an ongoing prank issue for someone and it works pretty well even with poor documentation. Takes a phone app to use but seemed legit and good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077YWLWTL

To clarify: You just use the app and local adhoc WiFi to set it up and start it. After that it's stand alone.

Pitre fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 15, 2018

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sexy Randal posted:

How about something like Haven? It might get taken as well, but it sends everything over a network connection as soon as it has detected something. Just get a cheap/used Android phone you don't mind vanishing.

Should have read the whole thing first, just saw you didn't want it on a network.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Is it just me, or the Live Chat button on the Smartthings support page completely unclickable? Only the email button responds...

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us

Leftover from the big NA outtage two days ago, maybe?

ferretsrule
Jul 8, 2010

It's an ostrich :)
Has anyone got any experience with the Ikea Trådfri bulbs? I bought some yesterday with the intention of connecting them to my flatmate's Hue hub but I can't get the hub to detect them.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Can anyone tell me how fast notifications from Nest outdoor cams get to your phone?

I've got a Canary Flex watching my front door and notifications are often too slow (30 seconds to 2 minutes) for me to make it to the door before whoever/whatever triggered the notification is gone.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

ferretsrule posted:

Has anyone got any experience with the Ikea Trådfri bulbs? I bought some yesterday with the intention of connecting them to my flatmate's Hue hub but I can't get the hub to detect them.

I haven't done tons of research, but it's my understanding that Philips has had various issues with 3rd party bulbs and just plain doesn't work with the Ikea ones. The Ikea gateway is pretty cheap though.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Thermopyle posted:

Can anyone tell me how fast notifications from Nest outdoor cams get to your phone?

I've got a Canary Flex watching my front door and notifications are often too slow (30 seconds to 2 minutes) for me to make it to the door before whoever/whatever triggered the notification is gone.

I have an indoor and outdoor and the notifications are almost instantaneous. The only hang up is sometimes it says a cat or a car is a person but other than that it’s great. Also it will let you know in the notification if it detected motion or a person.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Piggy Smalls posted:

I have an indoor and outdoor and the notifications are almost instantaneous. The only hang up is sometimes it says a cat or a car is a person but other than that it’s great. Also it will let you know in the notification if it detected motion or a person.

Hmm, that is tempting me to switch over.

However, since the Canary Flex is battery operated, I'd have to run power and thats not going to be easy.

Decisions, decisions...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I just picked up and hacked one of these cheapo cameras (https://hackernoon.com/hacking-a-25-iot-camera-to-do-more-than-its-worth-41a8d4dc805c) and I'd like to set up something to monitor it. I usually just use UniFi but they aren't friendly to third party cameras. Before I go through the trouble of setting up ZoneMinder again are there any other good free, preferably open source options I should look at?

All I'm looking for is the ability to monitor a standard RTSP camera feed, record on motion, and optionally alert depending on rules I set. Some way to tie in to Home Assistant would also be a big plus. Must run on Linux, preferably with official .deb packages.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

ferretsrule posted:

Yeah, I had the same thing last weekend. My other full-sized bulbs are detected and working fine (and they're further away in the house). But I can't make these light bulbs show up in the Hue app, or in OpenHAB.

(I run OpenHAB, as it was the only way to have Siri control both the Hue lightbulbs, and the Ikea bulbs.)

ickna
May 19, 2004

wolrah posted:

I just picked up and hacked one of these cheapo cameras (https://hackernoon.com/hacking-a-25-iot-camera-to-do-more-than-its-worth-41a8d4dc805c) and I'd like to set up something to monitor it. I usually just use UniFi but they aren't friendly to third party cameras. Before I go through the trouble of setting up ZoneMinder again are there any other good free, preferably open source options I should look at?

All I'm looking for is the ability to monitor a standard RTSP camera feed, record on motion, and optionally alert depending on rules I set. Some way to tie in to Home Assistant would also be a big plus. Must run on Linux, preferably with official .deb packages.

Sounds like you want Motion or MotionEye

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ickna posted:

Sounds like you want Motion or MotionEye

MotionEye seems like it may be exactly what I'm looking for, thanks.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
So, everybody wants blinds but nobody’s got ‘em?

A trip report would be superb. Mind you, both Zebra and Lutron look nice, but I’d love 1st party feedback.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What about smart vents? I’m wondering if they could help me fake multi-zone, and if they might work with the Nest.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

What about smart vents? I’m wondering if they could help me fake multi-zone, and if they might work with the Nest.

My only semi-informed $0.02:

I'm personally down on them as everything I've read (and supported by a personal friend who is also a HVAC guy) is that the register airflow should be fairly specifically balanced in your system and you can really start to cause problems (reduced efficiency, increased noise, system wear) by closing things off capriciously. It's probably not a big deal if you just have one or two problem rooms that are a small portion of your total system, but it's a bad idea to use on your entire system. They do make things like shunts that will open between the supply and return if you have the system damped, and you can tie all of them together but now you are talking about an actual HVAC system change rather than just a magic Gizmo you can slap on the wall.

So they are probably ok if you just want to use them sparingly, but there's a reason HVAC systems aren't built that way. Motorized dampers have existed for a long time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks, that’s really helpful. I’m thinking of one problem room in particular, but maybe I should talk to an HVAC person to see what my other options are.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Thanks, that’s really helpful. I’m thinking of one problem room in particular, but maybe I should talk to an HVAC person to see what my other options are.

I think that is a use case where they'd make sense (especially if combined with a thermostat with secondary sensors). Our house has bedrooms at one end that aren't super well insulated/are at the end of the HVAC line, so leaving them out of the system during the day when we aren't in that end of the house would be nice. I'm just using ecobee sensors to adjust the thermostat "focus".

One thing to remember is that with forced air systems you've got air return vents pulling (which you DON'T want to block because you need to ensure the air handler has sufficient flow to avoid wear and nasty things like the heat exchanger freezing up) so if you shut off the input into a room you are creating a slight negative pressure there pulling air in from other places instead and still circulating that air through the rest of the house.

So yeah, maybe a good fit as a bandaid for a very isolated problem, but probably worth talking to a (good) HVAC specialist. Their solution, while more correct in the long term, may likely be much more costly though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hubis posted:

My only semi-informed $0.02:

I'm personally down on them as everything I've read (and supported by a personal friend who is also a HVAC guy) is that the register airflow should be fairly specifically balanced in your system and you can really start to cause problems (reduced efficiency, increased noise, system wear) by closing things off capriciously. It's probably not a big deal if you just have one or two problem rooms that are a small portion of your total system, but it's a bad idea to use on your entire system. They do make things like shunts that will open between the supply and return if you have the system damped, and you can tie all of them together but now you are talking about an actual HVAC system change rather than just a magic Gizmo you can slap on the wall.

So they are probably ok if you just want to use them sparingly, but there's a reason HVAC systems aren't built that way. Motorized dampers have existed for a long time.

There's several systems out there already that use motorized dampers. The one I'm most familiar with is homeclimatecontrol. It consists of instructions on building your own motorized vents, temperature sensors and an Android app and other custom Java code.

It is highly configurable, but its default configuration (IIRC) is to never close more than 65% of your vents. I've been following its mailing list and related forums for like a decade now and all the HVAC people seem to think that's more than sufficient for addressing potential problems.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Got homebridge up and running in docker. The harmony hub plugin is working well. Now I just wish I could get my Deebot N79 working with it. Time to kick Alexa to the curb.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
Does anyone know how to purge HomeKit data from a specific device?

My set up works fine on my iPad and my wife's devices but it just won't sync on my phone. It just gets stuck on losing accessories.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Picked up a Trådfri kit today, turns out IKEA has released an led driver unit for cabinet lighting, so I slapped two under my counters. Overall not too bad.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have a humidity/temperature/etc sensor connected to SmartThings, and I’d like to track it over time. Is there a good solution that doesn’t involve me installing software on something (other than the ST portal/cloud thing)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I have a humidity/temperature/etc sensor connected to SmartThings, and I’d like to track it over time. Is there a good solution that doesn’t involve me installing software on something (other than the ST portal/cloud thing)?

You can ship data off to InfluxDB. I haven't done it, but it looks somewhat straight-forward.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/smartthings-data-visualisation-using-influxdb-and-grafana/44946

Edit: Oh that's the complete opposite of what you asked for because you have to install Influxdb.