Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koalas March
May 21, 2007

This is seriously not getting enough attention. Holy moly. Just imagine the circumstances that led up to this.

cat tax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Doing a good deed for every dead kid is ten times worse than a walk out, holy poo poo

Everyone likes good deeds but there is no indication that the school florida school shooting happened because someone wasn't nice enough to deserve to not be shot. The walkout is about guns, and "just be nice okay" is just some watered down "make this protest go away please" thing for school administrators to keep power instead of letting the kids have power.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Nicole Wallace is the best thing on MSNBC and I will fight anyone that disagrees.

I'm willing to forgive her crimes.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Koalas March posted:

This is seriously not getting enough attention. Holy moly. Just imagine the circumstances that led up to this.

What gives me solace is that it's the kids who wanted to hold the forum, and it's their shitheel parents that shut it down. It's a great message to the kids about what cowards their parents are.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I am probably projecting, but trying to soften it like that is more insulting to the kids than doing nothing is. But I'm probably overreacting.

I mean, its both. I agree with you that its a deflection from the ACTUAL MESSAGE of the walkout and that's wrong and lovely. But if you actually convince a kid to do some good deeds at least you're doing something complete separate from the point of the day. So its bad, but its also good. Does that make sense?

I'm basically just contrasting it to the "Prayer Day" schools and as someone raised and taught by Jesuit Catholics "Actions vs Prayers" is a big trigger for me.

Walkout = Good
Prayer Day = Bad
"Good Actions" = Better Than Prayer Day

Crow Jane posted:

One of the things I've seen going around basically says "Instead of protesting, go be nice to the weird kid!". Which, like... if the weird kid already knew no one liked them, wouldn't everyone in school coming up to talk to them on "Say Nice Things to the Freak So They Don't Shoot Us" day kind of hammer that home?

Avenging_Mikon posted:

As the kid who was an outcast most of the time in school, kids coming up and being nice to me for one day would be infinitely more distressing than continually being ignored or degraded.

Touche.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Kudlow just got on and said that he's in favor of both a strong dollar and economic punishment against China. Trump's economic plan of a strong dollar and reducing the trade deficit is working against itself. I'm pretty sure he just wants a strong dollar because of the word "strong".

Simply:
Strong dollar = each dollar buys relatively more goods/services from other countries
Weak dollar = other countries can buy more goods/services from you

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lote posted:

I'm pretty sure he just wants a strong dollar because of the word "strong".

100%

or trump's plan to cut trade deficits is just to zero out trade and go full on isoloationist

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, its both. I agree with you that its a deflection from the ACTUAL MESSAGE of the walkout and that's wrong and lovely. But if you actually convince a kid to do some good deeds at least you're doing something complete separate from the point of the day. So its bad, but its also good. Does that make sense?

I'm basically just contrasting it to the "Prayer Day" schools and as someone raised and taught by Jesuit Catholics "Actions vs Prayers" is a big trigger for me.

Walkout = Good
Prayer Day = Bad
"Good Actions" = Better Than Prayer Day

Touche.

I just feel like "good actions day" puts the onus of blame on the kids instead of on guns, which kind of defeats the purpose.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mind_Taker posted:

Just because there’s risk of punishment doesn’t mean they shouldn’t fight their punishment.

You can't fight your punishment if there's no villain

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

What gives me solace is that it's the kids who wanted to hold the forum, and it's their shitheel parents that shut it down. It's a great message to the kids about what cowards their parents are.

Yeah, that was kind of my takeaway. If the kids want to talk about it and their educators were fired for trying to facilitate that conversation than the message being sent to them is that their parents and the administrators want them to shut up and are willing to ruin the lives of the teachers who are listening to them. That's a defeat for the bad guys because those kids just learned a harsh lesson that I assume will stick.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Lote posted:

Kudlow just got on and said that he's in favor of both a strong dollar and economic punishment against China. Trump's economic plan of a strong dollar and reducing the trade deficit is working against itself. I'm pretty sure he just wants a strong dollar because of the word "strong".

Simply:
Strong dollar = each dollar buys relatively more goods/services from other countries
Weak dollar = other countries can buy more goods/services from you

Wouldn't a strong dollar also benefit Trump and family with all of their outstanding debts they need to pay?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Crow Jane posted:

I just feel like "good actions day" puts the onus of blame on the kids instead of on guns, which kind of defeats the purpose.

I don't disagree. I guess I'm just assuming some good faith in "lets do something." Which could well be misguided on my part.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

One is the loneliest number that you'll ever be...

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Zil posted:

Wouldn't a strong dollar also benefit Trump and family with all of their outstanding debts they need to pay?

Shhhhhhhhhh.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Zil posted:

It depends on the exact details of the loans.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

A principal for a high school in a town a county or two over was caught by surprise by the walkout plan, so we got their pure, unrehearsed reaction and from what I read they did about what I'd expect and hope. Their first instinct was pretty much "what is this? They are going to walk out and protest something? I don't think I approve, should we punish them if they walk out?" Then when they learned the reason and that the kids planned to come back to class after about an hour, they basically said "ok fine, please be safe, and don't vandalize anything". I think a couple cops kept an eye on the kids, and that was it.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Zil posted:

Depends on where his assets are and what currency his loans are in. If he's got a bunch of loans in British Pounds or Euro, he needs a strong dollar. If he has a bunch of foreign assets, he needs a weak dollar.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean "retarded" is bad because it's a slur, but also incorrect here -- this is more dementia than intellectual disability.

Also this was 15 years ago now, and already Donnie couldn't remember things that happened five minutes before.

All blonde women look alike to him.

Fuckable.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

VH4Ever posted:

See I think he's hard to peg. Where does "pathological self absorption" end and "dementia" begin with this guy? I think if he were ever truly analyzed by professionals they could write many books on whatever it is he is. It's unlike almost anyone.

Yeah this is true. He's certainly pathological, though.

Bicyclops posted:

Not according to Stormy Daniels.

Haha beaten to this.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

STAC Goat posted:

Every angsty teen comes at it as way more of an active conspiracy by public education to beat down kids or conform kids into workers to be slaves and honestly that is dumb, no one at schools actively has that kinda time to be part of some active conspiracy like that but there is a huge and lazy authoritarian streak in public school, just based on staff having huge huge amounts of powers over kids and the ease it is to silence and control kids just to make things 5% smoother to get through the day.

I think the school trying to take control of it at all, even if they actually had some better idea than the walkout is inherently bad. The school doesn't want 17 good deeds because they think that will stop gun violence, they want 17 good deeds because that will stop disruption.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Rigel posted:

A principal for a high school in a town a county or two over was caught by surprise by the walkout plan, so we got their pure, unrehearsed reaction and from what I read they did about what I'd expect and hope. Their first instinct was pretty much "what is this? They are going to walk out and protest something? I don't think I approve, should we punish them if they walk out?" Then when they learned the reason and that the kids planned to come back to class after about an hour, they pretty said "ok fine, please be safe, and don't vandalize anything". I think a couple cops kept an eye on the kids, and that was it.

Our school sent out some vaguely threatening bureaucratic mush a couple days ago.

"Students must understand that failure to comply with school procedures and rules increases the potential for disrupting the learning environment and creates a potential unsafe school environment. Disrupting a safe, learning environment may result in disciplinary consequences.

I encourage you to discuss with your child the importance of following school rules and adhering to all school safety procedures. Together, we can continue to provide a safe learning environment and quality learning experiences for students that prepare them to become contributing members of our community.

Respectfully,

[A. Jackboot]"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I mean "retarded" is bad because it's a slur, but also incorrect here -- this is more dementia than intellectual disability.

Also this was 15 years ago now, and already Donnie couldn't remember things that happened five minutes before.

Since "retarded" is a slur and we shouldn't use it, can we now substitute "trumpy?"

I think it's perfect. It implies that there's no actual reason for your behaviour beyond you being a willfully ignorant, selfish moron.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

VideoGameVet posted:

"Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached."

- Antonin Scalia

which he never actually said

it's not even a tremendously accurate paraphrase

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

Nicole Wallace is the best thing on MSNBC and I will fight anyone that disagrees.

I'm willing to forgive her crimes.

:same:

She has been redeemed through the power of shade... and turning out to actually be a decent person in the end.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Koalas March posted:

cat tax:

Well, the Clif notes version is white_fragility.txt:

quote:

The idea that skin color carries an advantage touched a nerve among some students and parents in the district, where almost 90% of the students are white. Several parents complained, fueled by conservative talk radio.

quote:

"Our board is fine with discussions about diversity ... but white privilege is a lightning rod for some parents," said Wiemer, the board president who also serves as village manager and chief of police for the Village of Oconomowoc Lake, a small, affluent enclave on the southeast side of the district.

"We have poor people in Oconomowoc who are saying they're not privileged ... and people that say, 'Don, we worked our butts off to have what we have,'" Wiemer said.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

nine-gear crow posted:

:same:

She has been redeemed through the power of shade... and turning out to actually be a decent person in the end.

I'm more or less fine with her being the voice of the right on MSNBC since she's reasonable 90% of the time. But like, she still has her moments of "Oh yeah, you're a Republican" like last week when her show was all "I wish Betsy Devos wasn't so stupid because all her politics are good but she's a distraction."

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/rachaelmbade/status/974028877373825024

This it the tunnel that he opposes because Kusher is developing property at a ferry landing that would be significantly devalued by the new tunnel

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
"Jack Bauer saved Los Angeles. ... He saved hundreds of thousands of lives," Judge Scalia said. Then, recalling Season 2, where the agent's rough interrogation tactics saved California from a terrorist nuke, the Supreme Court judge etched a line in the sand.
"Are you going to convict Jack Bauer?" Judge Scalia challenged his fellow judges. "Say that criminal law is against him? 'You have the right to a jury trial?' Is any jury going to convict Jack Bauer? I don't think so.

"So the question is really whether we believe in these absolutes. And ought we believe in these absolutes."

- Antonin Scalia.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Well, the Clif notes version is white_fragility.txt:

They should invite Tim Wise to go there and hold a town hall or something. White people tend to take the privilege pill a lot easier if they hear another folksy white guy explaining it to them.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Has this been posted yet? Nickelodeon and MTV go off the air for 17 minutes at the time of the walkout.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-walkout-wednesday-live-updates-nickelodeon-mtv-went-off-air-for-17-1521046975-htmlstory.html

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Koalas March posted:

They should invite Tim Wise to go there and hold a town hall or something. White people tend to take the privilege pill a lot easier if they hear another folksy white guy explaining it to them.

As much as I love Tim Wise, I don't think he's ever expressed any interest in liberal politics.

Edit: I've confused Tim Wise and Ray Wise, because I am dumb. I love Ray, NOT Tim.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 14, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/rachaelmbade/status/974028877373825024

This it the tunnel that he opposes because Kusher is developing property at a ferry landing that would be significantly devalued by the new tunnel

i thought he opposes it because schumer supports it?

(of course there can be more than one reason, im just curious)

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

BonoMan posted:

Has this been posted yet? Nickelodeon and MTV go off the air for 17 minutes at the time of the walkout.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-walkout-wednesday-live-updates-nickelodeon-mtv-went-off-air-for-17-1521046975-htmlstory.html

It was like every station that Viacom owns.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Ogmius815 posted:

As much as I love Tim Wise, I don't think he's ever expressed any interest in liberal politics.

Edit: I've confused Tim Wise and Ray Wise, because I am dumb. I love Ray, NOT Tim.

loling at Leland Palmer explaining white privilege to a bunch of Wisconsin Republicans

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Ague Proof posted:

"Jack Bauer saved Los Angeles. ... He saved hundreds of thousands of lives," Judge Scalia said. Then, recalling Season 2, where the agent's rough interrogation tactics saved California from a terrorist nuke, the Supreme Court judge etched a line in the sand.
"Are you going to convict Jack Bauer?" Judge Scalia challenged his fellow judges. "Say that criminal law is against him? 'You have the right to a jury trial?' Is any jury going to convict Jack Bauer? I don't think so.

"So the question is really whether we believe in these absolutes. And ought we believe in these absolutes."

- Antonin Scalia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU7gnMSzf_c

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

loling at Leland Palmer explaining white privilege to a bunch of Wisconsin Republicans

mairsy doats and dosey doats and liddle lambsey divey,
a kid'll walk out of school, wouldn't you?

bogoodski
Feb 17, 2018

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I've been thinking about something along these same lines today.

I'm 34 years old, so 9/11 occurred while I was in high school. My age group graduated into a country that was deceived into war. And then we finished college just in time to watch pensions be privatized (and wiped out), to enter the job market during the Great Recession and to become adults and culturally aware about the time a reality TV shuckster of a President was revealing and stoking the nation's racism and hate. My little segment of my generation is almost necessarily cynical

These kids, though. They can generate thousands of social media followers and instigate national movements. For whatever its worth (and maybe its nothing), these kids are going to go into adulthood actually thinking they can make a difference. A notion that no one my age that I know thought was true for us.

I really hope they run with it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Ogmius815 posted:

I somehow read Tim Wise as Tom Waits. Which would actually rule, and I bet he'd do a great job :colbert:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

BonoMan posted:

well yeah, all the teens were outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Vladimir Putin posted:

Nobody loving remembers the 70’s when we had to fight off inflation and the interest rate to buy a house was like loving 20%? Yeah sure I’d like to relive those days of clinical depression on a national scale.

Keep control of the ability to print money—gently caress morons who want to switch to gold. But use it judiciously so we don’t repeat history. For gods sake was no one here alive back then?

I think it's pretty stupid to base 50 years of economic policy on a single 5 year period.

• Locked thread