Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Bill Shorten is fighting a war on two flanks over his $59 billion tax hike on shareholders after the Greens warned it could hurt “struggling” Australians and vow to use the full power of the Senate to guarantee fairness.
Greens leader Richard Di Natale seized on the issue to escalate his party’s campaign in the crucial Batman byelection this Saturday, given estimates that one in five voters in the seat are over the age of 65.

Mr Shorten rushed to appease older Australians who stand to lose annual cash refunds if Labor overhauls the dividend imputation rules, declaring “their part-pension will increase” but avoiding any detail on how this would happen.

With the Coalition vehemently against the “theft” from shareholders and seniors’ groups urging Labor to reconsider its reform plan, the Greens are moving to assure older Australians they will be looked after by amendments in the upper house to avoid financial harm to those on low incomes.

“We want to make sure that these proposed changes don’t accidentally end up hurting the very people Labor says they want to help,” Mr Di Natale told Fairfax Media.“The Greens do have concerns about the possible unintended consequences these changes could have on struggling pensioners in particular and we’ll be looking at this proposal very closely toensure that they are not worse off.

“The Greens are going to be scrutinising this proposal very closely in the Senate to make sure that any proposed legislation doesn’t make inequality worse for struggling pensioners, and we will use our numbers in the senate to fix it.”
The tax policy throws a wild card into the vital election test between Labor candidate Ged Kearney and Greens challenger Alex Bhathal in the Melbourne seat of Batman this Saturday, with the two parties neck-and-neck in the polls.One Greens source said the row over tax rules for older Australians could turn voters against Labor, helping the Greens in a contest where the Liberals are not running a candidate.

Ms Bhathal said she knew some of the pensioners in the electorate were concerned about how Labor’s proposal would affect them.

“We need to be doing everything in our power to tackle inequality, not make it worse,” she said. “One thing that pensioners can count on is that if they entrust me with their vote in the federal parliament, I’ll fight day and night to make sure that people who are struggling are looked after.”

The Greens made it clear they support reforms to close unfair rules that help the wealthy, but their stance suggests a Labor government would face vigorous scrutiny in the Senate to amend the new policy.Labor treasury spokesman Chris Bowen bluntly rejected government claims that the plan would hurt 610,000 Australians on “the lowest annual incomes” – a figure yet to be backed by any public analysis from Treasury.
Mr Bowen told Fairfax Media that Treasurer Scott Morrison was using “taxable income” figures to give a misleading impression of the effects.

“Scott Morrison is a one trick pony, he did it with negative gearing too, pulled out the taxable income data in an attempt to demonstrate Labor’s well targeted tax policies are an attack on the poor,” Mr Bowen said.
“Taxable income data misses most of the income coming from tax-free, retirement-phase super that we’re discussing.”
The reform hits about 8 per cent of all Australian taxpayers but spares 92 per cent because the only change is to those who receive a cash refund to account for the franking credits on the dividends they receive.Labor estimated last night its reform affects 400,000 self-funded retirees as well as 200,000 people on the part-pension and about 15,000 on the full Age Pension. The change will also be felt by 200,000 self-managed super funds.

Labor estimates the remaining 400,000 taxpayers are under the age of 65, including people with big share portfolios who may not work.

Mr Shorten tried to calm the fears about the policy yesterday by insisting that pensioners and part-pensioners would be protected under the policy, as he faced questions on breakfast television.

“What we’re proposing is if they’re not getting some extra taxpayer funded bonus for income tax they haven’t paid, their part-pension will increase,” he said.

“We will make sure that pensioners are OK, full stop.”But Labor offered no pledge yesterday on how that would happen or how much it would cost, leaving it without enough detail to counter the Greens concerns about pensioners.

One concern among financial advisers is that major super funds would suffer lower returns from the policy, given it extends to large retail funds as well as the self-managed super funds Labor has emphasised in its public remarks.

Shadford Financial Group adviser Phillip Gillard said big funds in the pension phase – the tax-free period in retirement – would not be able to use the cash refunds to shore up their returns.

“I feel very confident that if Labor does not want to allow excess imputation credits to be refunded, then it will affect super pension fund members across the board,” he said.
Labor is adamant the bulk of the revenue would come from self-managed super funds but has not produced more detail on other funds, saying only there would be “very little impact” on the majority of Australians saving for their retirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Anidav posted:

Wow lol at the Victorian tears over the tank building going to proven best state Queensland.

Armoured car.

And Id like to know how much was spent on advertising in the last few weeks, since the IC, NSC cabinet process is so long the recommendation would have been finalised last year. And the ministers said they agreed with the recommendation put in front of them.
Victoria already is making all the PMV and PMV-L, and lots of the trucks.
Why so salty.

Anidav posted:

A tank has tracks :mil101:

Fixed.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Labor hands down progressive tax policy on a platter and the Greens are all ‘hmm fake outrage on social media is our whole party platform better block it in the senate’

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I want to know if the greens have welcomed noble Peter's assistance to South Africans desperate for aid and humanitarian support.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

JBP posted:

I want to know if the greens have welcomed noble Peter's assistance to South Africans desperate for aid and humanitarian support.

And guns, don't forget the guns. As long as the stocks are made from sustainable timber.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

"We've finally achieved the balance of power, and all we had to do was agree to the FWA Choices for Work scheme, include clean coal as a solution in our environmental platform, and successfully fight for more woman guards at offshore detention centres"

Also protect boomer tax refunds....?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
im sure those rich boomers will switch their vote from liberal now

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Endman posted:

Labor hands down progressive tax policy on a platter and the Greens are all ‘hmm fake outrage on social media is our whole party platform better block it in the senate’

Except they said they will scrutinise it for unfair outcomes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Visidan posted:

It's not rich boomers theyre after, it's their children who have been promised huge sacks of gold after their parents never draw down on their super balance.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I’m glad I’m no longer a member tbh

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
oh, i see...

voting liberal

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Visidan posted:

there are no liberal candidates in the byelection friend

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

RDN has to ensure he gets those sweet franking on all that money he’s saved underpaying au pairs

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BBJoey posted:

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

BBJoey posted:

i need to save my parents huge sack of gold, that's mine one day. who do i vote for

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Visidan posted:

i need to save my parents huge sack of gold, that's mine one day. who do i vote for

Australian Conservatives

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Visidan posted:

The greens because they'll do that and also make you feel good about it by mandating 3% is invested in sustainable beetroot farming.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also lmao anyone that can't determine that greens voters are by and large rich as gently caress city elites and will be the ones to inherent massive sums of money from the liberal voting parents.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Why don't the greens welcome progressive policy anymore? Surely they can just nod and agree rather than drag it through some by election mud?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

In favour of wealth redistribution until there is a by-election and then briefly transforms into a Tree Tory to score a point or two while standing awkwardly next to the Coalition who declare that this policy will cause the boomer bone harvest to begin.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Yes, why don't they just pass all good sounding policy without checking the details?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Oh boomer bone harvest. you make it sound so tempting Anidav

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Labor in Batman probably isn't being helped by the fact that the Young Labor at LaTrobe are basically trying to dismantle the LGBTIQ department of the Student Union and last year redirected the funds from that department to other areas. None of the services for LGBTIQ students are promoted by the Union and there hasn't been any events planned by the department for over a year.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

Why don't the greens welcome progressive policy anymore? Surely they can just nod and agree rather than drag it through some by election mud?

I've got no issue with parties saying "that policy that is currently just a soundbite requires us to look into it before we'll support or block it".

I think it has a lot to do with the Batman by-election though, they don't want to be seen as being in lockstep with Labor in a Labor v Green election.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The greens are moving in to help "low income earners" using a SMSF to draw down an income lmao

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Home Affairs minister, Peter Dutton, is considering establishing a committee to allow gun importers to review proposed changes to firearm regulations for “appropriateness and intent”.

Following a meeting with a pro-gun lobbyist in February, Dutton is weighing up whether to establish a so-called “firearms advisory council”, which the gun lobby says would give it “a seat at the table” to advise the government on firearms policy.

Last month Dutton met with Robert Nioa, one of Australia’s largest gun dealers, to discuss the council.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/mar/15/peter-dutton-considering-request-for-gun-importers-to-review-rule-changes

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'm pretty sure they have given a gently caress load of details in the past 3 days. I mean even if you believe the greens are some sort of policy guardian, this is probably the one policy recently released that has all the details it needs.

Labor’s actually acting like a government these days and releasing lots of information as if Fightback never happened.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

“details” don’t mean “here’s what the policy is intended to do”, it means “what is going to be in legislation line by line and does it introduce new loopholes or perverse incentives”

like i think this announcement is a poor showing from the greens but the hysteria in this thread reminds me of the guardian comments section. the greens haven’t declared sight unseen support for a labor policy announced days ago so they’re literally the liberal party now? someone help me understand this please

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i’m also wondering what some people in this topic think about what can be done politically; with labor captured by the right and the greens apparently entirely compromised by entryists, is there literally any avenue for progress politically or is our only option a revolution

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Synthbuttrange posted:

The Home Affairs minister, Peter Dutton, is considering establishing a committee to allow gun importers to review proposed changes to firearm regulations for “appropriateness and intent”.

Following a meeting with a pro-gun lobbyist in February, Dutton is weighing up whether to establish a so-called “firearms advisory council”, which the gun lobby says would give it “a seat at the table” to advise the government on firearms policy.

Last month Dutton met with Robert Nioa, one of Australia’s largest gun dealers, to discuss the council.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/mar/15/peter-dutton-considering-request-for-gun-importers-to-review-rule-changes

Dutton really wants to destroy any progress this country has had over the past 20 years

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BBJoey posted:

i’m also wondering what some people in this topic think about what can be done politically; with labor captured by the right and the greens apparently entirely compromised by entryists, is there literally any avenue for progress politically or is our only option a revolution

I joined the greens because the thread kept badgering me so I guess change from within works.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

You Am I posted:

Dutton really wants to destroy any progress this country has had over the past 20 years
20 years doesn't take us back to White Australia, though. I'd say he wants to see us go back a good 70 years.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is Alex Bhathial a bully?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

CrazyTolradi posted:

20 years doesn't take us back to White Australia, though. I'd say he wants to see us go back a good 70 years.

White Australia policy never left. Federation to today, and forever inshallah.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is Alex Bhathial a bully?
Doesn't support Labor policies 100%, so as per thread narrative, yes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CrazyTolradi posted:

Doesn't support Labor policies 100%, so as per thread narrative, yes.

Wasn't she censured by the party?

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Doesn't support Labor policies 100%, so as per thread narrative the 101 page report written by her fellow branchies, yes.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

JBP posted:

Wasn't she censured by the party?
Was she? AFAIK any complaints against her were cleared by the party, but on the other hand that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I wouldn't put it past any of the political parties to sweep that poo poo under the rug.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CrazyTolradi posted:

Was she? AFAIK any complaints against her were cleared by the party, but on the other hand that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I wouldn't put it past any of the political parties to sweep that poo poo under the rug.

Ah ok I thought there was an an official response that acknowledged some kind of wrongdoing, but yeah I'm sure if it was there it was quickly carpeted over anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

"We welcome the prospect of progressive tax policy but we will wait for further details."

That's all they needed to do.

• Locked thread