Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Alright, good to know. Are the lesson sites in the OP still the go to? Is there anything that's like, the Justin equivalent for bass in terms of near-universal recognition as the place to start if you're going to self teach with vids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I found StudyBass real helpful! It's good because it covers a lot of what the bass is actually doing in a song, why you're hitting those notes. And then it gives you songs to listen to and play that cover the same concepts from the lesson

As far as videos go, I don't know about a one-stop full course like Justin's, but these were handy

Basic posture:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsDbh0buYHE

How to pluck a string and mute the others (important!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDSAd29kJ0o

Fingerstyle techniques + an exercise (raking is like economy picking)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNAYIfITgpw

Some handy tips to keep in mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y57-2eaTBwc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXkxu_7Tn48

that last one is really helpful to keep in mind - bass is a more physically demanding instrument than guitar I think, just because of the size of it and the effort involved in fretting and playing those big strings. So you need to make your life as easy as possible, and being smart about how you approach the fretboard is a good idea. Some of this transferred over to guitar for me too - I used to play octave shapes with my 1st and 3rd fingers, now a lot of the time I'll use 1st and 4th because why not?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah, it does seem more demanding. That's why at first I was considering a short scale like an Ibanez Mikro, or even a Ubass. But, ultimately, I feel like if I do that at first I'd be limiting myself. If someone was like "hey play bass with me" I don't want to have to be like "OK but if it's 34 inch scale I can't do it, gotta be 28." Might as well adjust to a "normal" bass first. Again, this is all kind of speculative for the next 5 weeks [christ almighty I've still got 5 weeks :/] when I'm finished some stuff for work including travel. But I'm excited about the idea. It looks like studybass teaches theory as it goes along which might also help my guitar playing. I'm already studying the notes on the neck so that will be a help since it's the same bottom 4 strings just an octave up (as far as note names are concerned).

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Hellblazer187 posted:

I know I'm not supposed to use a guitar amp, but what about a guitar headphone amp? I've got an AC30 flavored Vox Amplug. There's no speaker for it to blow. I could plug that into either headphones or computer speakers for a start. I did play guitar with it through speakers for a week when I was traveling and it was decent enough. I suppose the volume will be low.

This would probably be fine, but if you're going to do that, why not just get the bass headphone amp? They're cheap. Well, if $40 is cheap. They have an aux input that I often use to hook up to my computer when I'm learning a song, a 3-step input adjustment so it can be used with weak or strong signal-producing basses without overloading the circuit, they work with any headphones (though I recommend over-the-ear phones), and they're really keen and all the cool kids have them.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Bass is fun as heck, and honestly the "bigness" is part of that - it feels like this substantial instrument you play in a more physical way, and a lot of the time you're focusing on the nuances of that interaction, kinda magnified compared to guitar. Even things like sliding up the neck feel like something you do with your body, instead of just moving your hand. So yeah, I wouldn't worry about the size unless you have a specific reason to want a small, low-tension instrument. Just try and get one with a neck that feels good to you

Also studybass has a really good fretboard memorisation exercise (kinda hard to find things with the new site design but hey) which will transfer to guitar too - there's only one extra string to learn! (Since the other one is just another E string)

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i love the bass, i love the fact that it's percussive as well as melodic and your job is to both find the fundemental hits of the beat as well as the fundamental notes of the melody (or notes that support it the best) and try to hit both

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Bass players are underappreciated, but we like it that way. It gives us something to be quietly smug about.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
...to ourselves

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I know I'm not supposed to use a guitar amp, but what about a guitar headphone amp? I've got an AC30 flavored Vox Amplug. There's no speaker for it to blow. I could plug that into either headphones or computer speakers for a start. I did play guitar with it through speakers for a week when I was traveling and it was decent enough. I suppose the volume will be low.

Using a guitar amp is fine. I do it all the time.

The reason people run into trouble is because it takes more power to amplify bass frequencies to the same apparent volume as a guitar. This results in them pushing the amp and speaker (in particular) way harder than they should.

If you're playing at normal bedroom levels then you're gonna be fine.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

tarlibone posted:

Well, if $40 is cheap.

$40 US. It'd be $70+ for me here.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Just jumped into it a couple of months ago with a Fender Rumble & a Yamaha TRBX.

I really wanna get lessons but right now my schedule doesn't allow a ton of free time; time which I've already got a ton of (necessary) things crammed into.

Anyway, I quickly learned that it's pretty to easy to get overwhelmed with all of the available information online and soon found myself at a loss on how to structure my practice time (30-60 minutes on a good day; 10 minutes on a hectic day). I stumbled across a video by Mark Michell where he espoused an approach called the "difficulty sandwich". Essentially, given enough time, you'd divide your practice into 3 equal sections. The first and the last being material or exercises that you can complete fairly successfully; working on improving timing or consistency in left/right hand technique. Between these two mini-sessions, you should endeavor to tackle something that you are in the infant stages of learning. For me, that would include sight reading, quick note identification on the fretboard, and working on learning chord tones.

His main point was that while you should certainly challenge yourself on your ability, you don't want to put the bass away feeling disappointed by having failed miserably on the last thing you practiced. So far, at least, it's making practice more fun and keeps me looking forward to the next one. I don't know if this approach is applicable to folks who are pretty proficient at the instrument but it seems like a good regimen for someone who is green as hell (ME!!!)

I also have apps for fretboard/stave note practice on my phone which helps me pass the time on the streetcar or during lulls at work. Whelp, that's my intro I guess.

PS - What's up, Agreed!!! Huge smile on my face when I noticed you were a thread regular!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Does anyone have some tips with approaching bass NOT as a guitarist? As in, I play guitar but I'm often laying down bass tracks (that were meant to be rerecorded by my bassist but aren't now) to the point that I'm looking at purchasing a "gets the job done" bass.

One of my favourite parts recently is writing guitar riffs and stuff and then spending time trying to come up with a bassline that's rooted in the rhythm but with some melodic elements. It's challenging because I want the bass to stand on its own yet I don't want the "bass riff" to compete with the "guitar riff".

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Try to approach bass lines as a counter melody or harmonize the guitar line a la Flea. Some of my favorite bassists have that approach and it makes for a lot of interesting a fun lines.

Listen to Motown for plenty of great rythymically and harmonicly interesting stuff. Jamerson was a prophet and a pillar for bass in modern music.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 18, 2018

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Or follow the vocals and drums, not the guitar.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Dyna Soar posted:

If you want to play directly into a DAW, you need both an interface and a DI box (interface to transfer the signal to your computer and a DI box to "balance" the signal, essentially to compress it a bit to make it stable. Those two will set you back 50-100 euros in minimum.

99% of interfaces have an "Instrument" input which removes the need for a standalone DI.

baka kaba posted:

that last one is really helpful to keep in mind - bass is a more physically demanding instrument than guitar I think, just because of the size of it and the effort involved in fretting and playing those big strings. So you need to make your life as easy as possible, and being smart about how you approach the fretboard is a good idea. Some of this transferred over to guitar for me too - I used to play octave shapes with my 1st and 3rd fingers, now a lot of the time I'll use 1st and 4th because why not?

I took a lesson from someone last year and 30 seconds in to me playing for him for the first time he says "you started on upright, didn't you?" Which, I did! I subconsciously do 1-2-4 up until past the fifth fret because on upright you don't have an option other than to use your pinky for a fifth interval in the positions close to the nut. On electric, with your hand far away from your head, I think trying to force 1234 in first position is a recipe for wrist pain if you have smaller hands or aren't stretched out.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Listen to Motown for plenty of great rythymically and harmonicly interesting stuff. Jamerson was a profit and a pillar for bass in modern music.

There is no better exercise for learning to write great baselines than learning & analyzing Motown & Stax basslines note-for-note. James Jamerson, Bob Babbitt and Duck Dunn were all absolute monsters.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you can really, really get your head around Motown arrangements (not just the bass lines) you can tear through just about any pop music.

They usually had two drummers, three guitarists, piano and organ, and the obvious horns, strings and backing vocals. That two drummers/three guitarist thing is certainly not common these days, but drummer/drum machine and rhythm guitar/plucky synth/lead line shows up everywhere and is usually doing something similar.

Once you figure out what role everything is filling it makes it really easy to pick up and remember songs.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, learning a song should absolutely be about learning the entire piece, not just the bass line. Having some jazz theory education taught me a lot about how to really learn music. Here's how I learn a song:

Form (verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus etc)

Harmony - Key and chord progression in numeral form for easy memorization and transposition ( I–V–vi–IV, etc)

Melody - singing and playing (crucial to understanding the role the bassline plays to support it)

Bass line - this will come pretty naturally after you've done the above, and you'll have a much better understanding of how it functions in the song

All of this is done from the recording, NOT a lead sheet or tab. Developing your ear will do more for your playing than any other effort in your bass playing. The technology we have today (https://www.tunetranscriber.com/) makes this so much easier than past generations had it, but it's still far and away the best way to develop your song bank.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

CheesyDog posted:

They usually had two drummers,

What was the point to the two drummers?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It was more dubbing in parts, not that they would play at the same time barring a few rare circumstances. Heard it Through the Grapevine used three.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, learning a song should absolutely be about learning the entire piece, not just the bass line. Having some jazz theory education taught me a lot about how to really learn music. Here's how I learn a song:

Form (verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus etc)

Harmony - Key and chord progression in numeral form for easy memorization and transposition ( I–V–vi–IV, etc)

Melody - singing and playing (crucial to understanding the role the bassline plays to support it)

Bass line - this will come pretty naturally after you've done the above, and you'll have a much better understanding of how it functions in the song

All of this is done from the recording, NOT a lead sheet or tab. Developing your ear will do more for your playing than any other effort in your bass playing. The technology we have today (https://www.tunetranscriber.com/) makes this so much easier than past generations had it, but it's still far and away the best way to develop your song bank.

I wonder how good of a musician I would be if I had this kind of dedication.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

I wonder how good of a musician I would be if I had this kind of dedication.

Like any skill, it gets easier and faster the more you do it! Transcribing (learning a song, doesn't have to mean writing out note for note) really should be part of your practice routine and you'll be amazed how quickly you can learn 99% of songs after doing it a bit.

Speaking of practice routines, here's what I've gone back to for upright and electric since getting back into things hard this year:

stretch fingers/wrists/arms

warm up exercises (chromatic, string skipping, other left/right hand stuff)

scale practice - 1 key all over the fretboard in blocks of 5 frets lowest to highest and back. play straight scalar stuff and intervals (3s, 6s, arpeggios, etc)

arpeggio practice - 1 key, 2 octave in maj, min, dom, dim (this is great for electric fingerboard maneuvering and pitch on upright)

technique practice - bowing upright, slapping or tapping electric, etc. use rhythmic or melodic exercises, don't just noodle.

play along with a few songs (mostly jazz standards for me)

improv practice over the same songs to work on melody and soloing

learn new song transcribing/ear training for 1 new song and making a lead sheet for it in my notebook

play along with new song

solo with new song playing with melody and improving on chords

This is usually about an hour for me, which I try to block out and plan and keep distraction free in the afternoons. Keeping it structured helps me really get the most out of my time.

Also, here's a great article breaking down some of the Motown conventions, most of which are still directly present in today's pop music

http://www.bluemorris.com/music-and-jazz/280-motown-sound

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 18, 2018

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gorgar posted:

What was the point to the two drummers?

Good example is the bongos + kit from this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppvBWIzvPvU

Even during fills there's always a steady backing beat.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I love this clip, it's a perfect demonstration of how a live band playing a modern pop song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcFvt1sLpis

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think I asked this before but I don't think I got a real answer. I have a bass now (hooray!) that I'm borrowing from my friend. It's an OLP MM2 (I think), Stingray clone.

It sounds pretty good and stuff through my interface and Amplitube and stuff. But I'm chasing this tone specifically:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6ADv8N82YU

That deep, middy (?) boom. So heavy but with loads of definition. I know Billy used an Ampeg stack around that time but I can't find any solid information. I'm not caring to slavishly recreate it but I'd love a similar sound. If someone wants I can record something with the bass I have so people know what I'm starting from?

Thanks y'all.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Try the Green BA250, which is supposed to simulate a Trace Elliot AH250. D'Arcy used a AH400, also a P-Bass, but beggars can't be choosers. Just roll the treble back on the guitar, crank the gain knob and fiddle with the EQ until it sounds like something close.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Some handy tips to keep in mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y57-2eaTBwc

I wish I knew about this before finding out what the hell "trigger finger" was.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

A good method book for understanding using 1 2 4 fingerings is Simandl book 1. It has been used for such a long time with upright players because of its efficiency and that kind of fingering comes directly from upright bass so even though it was written way before electric bass was a thing it is very worth checking out if you don’t have an upright bass background.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This dude has a really cool slap/flamenco style. I remember seeing this back before Youtube was around but just came across it again. Need to do a breakdown of his technique. Ignore the super cheesy lyrics and vocals :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXImi2etl7I

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
All I could think about was Sling Blade.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That is seriously some of the worst music I've heard in years

rio
Mar 20, 2008

So are the lyrics of that song about a “nice guy” who is mad that some girl doesn’t want to go out with him and just wants to be friends?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

rio posted:

So are the lyrics of that song about a “nice guy” who is mad that some girl doesn’t want to go out with him and just wants to be friends?

That and many more dumb things, yes

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
The video is from 2001 which explains the style a bit more. The guy still is alive but seems to have stopped making music around the time Myspace was popular.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I told you guys to ignore the lyrics for a reason 😄 still good bass work

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Technically proficient but zero style. So not good bass work

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like the music a lot. The rest, yikes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, he fully fleshed out a simple two chord structure for the verses with percussive sounds, a groove bass line, and strummed chords all at once. That’s impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I don’t really like bass as a solo instrument unless it’s Victor Wooten, tbh. That style is kinda impressive in the sense that I can’t do it, but I wouldn’t spend time learning to do it because I can’t imagine ever doing that in a band.