Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Who What Now posted:

I know about Zelda, but how did Metroid use the microphone?

"SAMUS," I command, "SHOW ME YOUR BIKINI."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Show bob

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Who What Now posted:

I know about Zelda, but how did Metroid use the microphone?

Screaming Idiot posted:

"SAMUS," I command, "SHOW ME YOUR BIKINI."

And the name of the Screaming Idiot was... Justin Bailey!

And now you know the rest... of the story.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
afaik Metroid didn't use the mic and famicom was unable to do any kind of sound recognition so it was just a noise trigger.

I mean AVGN played top gun and dropped bombs by saying gently caress into the mic.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Vic posted:

afaik Metroid didn't use the mic and famicom was unable to do any kind of sound recognition so it was just a noise trigger.

I mean AVGN played top gun and dropped bombs by saying gently caress into the mic.

So does that mean Takeshi's Challenge isn't actually that much of a stickler for the karaoke?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
In Metal Gear Survive's multiplayer, you can use your points to purchase a few bonuses - trap and turret activation, refill your ammo without using crafting materials, and one to add mechs for you to ride.

Once you progress to the hard mode missions, a fourth option is quietly added "heavy tactical support". When you activate a giant loving three storey tall metal gear RAY robot jumps in, screams and proceeds to blast the ever loving poo poo out of everything it can see on the map.

Was a bit of a shock to the system.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

jivjov posted:

Played a good amount of the Sea of Thieves beta, and have a couple things I loved

There's two different musical instruments you can play, and if someone is already playing one of them, you can join in on the other and it syncs up.

Getting drunk rules; you start staggering around, instrument playing gets hosed up, and you can even start vomiting if you over indulge. You can also catch vomit in your water bucket and throw it at your enemies.

Even better is throwing the vomit at your friends, in a storm at night.

Played some of the beta with a couple of friends, and had the small galleon. Its cool that you have to trim sails andother nautical terms I dont know, makes it really engaging. At one point we rammed a smaller, one man boat, and the dude climbed on board ours, where we forced him to work until we could reach an island. I dont think he knew that if youre lost at sea a mermaid will respawn you at an outpost with your ship :v:

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Sorry, I meant Metroid as an example of games that came out in 1987, not that it used the mic in any particular way.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I picked up Hellblade after reading about it here and it loving rules. I'm only past the first couple bosses but I'm really enjoying how well the game merges the actual mythological forces Senua is fighting against with the purely mental psychosis she's dealing with. Sequences like the flame sacrifices in Surt's area and the illusory gates in Valravyn's area do such a good job of keeping you off-kilter. And the voices never, ever, ever stop. It's really immersive, especially with headphones. I like that the voices aren't just tearing you down, though. They'll occasionally cheer you on when you're doing well in combat or give you tips on how to deal with an enemy.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory also did the "enemies can hear you if you talk into your mic" thing... when you were playing online co-op. Which actually made it feel more like you were playing as a team of secret agents, trying to figure out a way to radio some important information to your partner without letting the guards hear you.

It also had the amazing Tomoe Nage move, where you could literally throw your partner as a projectile to knock enemies out.

Basically what I'm saying is that Chaos Theory loving owned.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kit Walker posted:

I picked up Hellblade after reading about it here and it loving rules. I'm only past the first couple bosses but I'm really enjoying how well the game merges the actual mythological forces Senua is fighting against with the purely mental psychosis she's dealing with. Sequences like the flame sacrifices in Surt's area and the illusory gates in Valravyn's area do such a good job of keeping you off-kilter. And the voices never, ever, ever stop. It's really immersive, especially with headphones. I like that the voices aren't just tearing you down, though. They'll occasionally cheer you on when you're doing well in combat or give you tips on how to deal with an enemy.

There is a wonderful analysis of Hellblade delivered by someone who suffers from psychosis that you should watch AFTER finishing the game, as it contains massive spoilers. The narrator describes how the voices he hears aren't always disparaging, but sometimes helpful, and therein lies the real danger. Because over time you come to rely on the voices more and more, you begin to trust their judgment, allow them to take control over your own actions no matter how mundane, and your ability to distinguish between the perceived and the actual is compromised. Really powerful and courageous video for when you beat the game, or more appropriately, when the game beats you.

exquisite tea has a new favorite as of 20:14 on Mar 12, 2018

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Hellblade is the first game in a long time I really got into all the behind-the-scenes stuff for. They really did their homework to make sure the portrayal of psychosis was as close to the real thing as possible, and it really elevated what could have been a tone deaf gimmick.

What I found most impressive was the girl who did the acting for Senua. She was originally just a video producer who was doing stand-in mocap and had no sort of acting background whatsoever, but the director liked her performance enough to ask her to stay in the role. It was a good call, because she loving nailed it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory also did the "enemies can hear you if you talk into your mic" thing... when you were playing online co-op. Which actually made it feel more like you were playing as a team of secret agents, trying to figure out a way to radio some important information to your partner without letting the guards hear you.

It also had the amazing Tomoe Nage move, where you could literally throw your partner as a projectile to knock enemies out.

Basically what I'm saying is that Chaos Theory loving owned.

Maybe it's nostalgia but CT is the most fun I have ever had in an online game.
My group got really good at the spies so one match against a pub that turned out to be a kid, like 10 or so.

Previously we could not be beaten but this kid insisted that it be him as a lone soldier vs. 3 spies (normally it's 2 v 2).

We couldn't get near him. He was some sorta savant. I forget the final score but I know we only got one KO on him after a coordinated stunlock and a lucky grab.

I swear he was an advanced military AI.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

I have a soft spot for the dumb gags in Thimbleweed Park with an inordinate amount of dialogue recorded for them, like the option to get corrected by the town journalist on every single constitutional amendment, or making Willie confess to a litany of conspiracy theories (including burying Jimmy Hoffa, killing JFK, and shooting Greedo first)

overeager overeater has a new favorite as of 23:21 on Mar 12, 2018

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

A neat little touch in Black Desert Online is that guild membership has an actual contract.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
And it seems to be an actual job too? You get a salary and everything, that's pretty complex.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

FebrezeNinja posted:

A neat little touch in Black Desert Online is that guild membership has an actual contract.

but can you pay in butterfingers

don't have a cow, asking for a friend

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

haveblue posted:

Recent NBA 2K games will give you a technical if you curse IRL

Some of the FIFA games on 360 did this if you had a Kinect plugged in. I was watching a mate play it, and he has a notoriously bad temper when playing football games*. He fouled someone, and it was going to be a free kick until he went "THAT'S loving BULLSHIT gently caress YOU" and got a player sent off instead. The commentators respond to it as well, with things like "oh and the manager is really unhappy about that!"

*dude once headbutted and broke a PSP because he was losing at Pro Evo soccer. Dude got really, really mad at football games. Extremely nice guy otherwise!

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I had a friend who was injured in the military, and now collects disability and plays videogames all day. He was an early adopter of kinnect, and at first really liked it. He was huge into Halo, and would often play 8 or more hours a day. His house was really active in our social scene, it was a convenient spot to meet for several people so he had people in and out of his house all day.

The word xbox was banned, because if you said xbox, a giant laggy UI menu would pop up over Halo and then he'd get killed. After two years of fun little kinnect gimmicks and a metric shitton of accidental Halo deaths, my buddy packed the kinnect back into its box and sold it. Anytime anyone would ask him about his kinnect, he's give the 4 word review: "Kinnect kills halo games."

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I still really enjoy the fight against lady maria in Bloodborne. I cant really explain it, but its the only fight where it never managed to get me mad despite how many times I died. I was really looking forward to it on my more recent play through and it was still the most fun I had playing Bloodborne.

Please get Bloodborne if you have ps plus and don't have it yet, even if just to have in your library, it's really good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Zoig posted:

I still really enjoy the fight against lady maria in Bloodborne. I cant really explain it, but its the only fight where it never managed to get me mad despite how many times I died. I was really looking forward to it on my more recent play through and it was still the most fun I had playing Bloodborne.

Please get Bloodborne if you have ps plus and don't have it yet, even if just to have in your library, it's really good.

Do people not just "buy" every game that's on plus? I mean it's free and costs nothing but time.

But yeah Bloodborne is really good. I need to get back to it someday. I hit a point where every way I went had a brick wall of a boss.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Len posted:

Do people not just "buy" every game that's on plus? I mean it's free and costs nothing but time.

I don't get the (non-crossplay) games for PS3 or Vita because I'm not going to plug the PS3 back in or buy a Vita anytime soon.

quote:

But yeah Bloodborne is really good. I need to get back to it someday. I hit a point where every way I went had a brick wall of a boss.

You can trivialize most bosses by summoning, there's probably an NPC available somewhere in the area or you can ask for live players. It's really busy again since all the diehard players returned to support/prey on the influx of PS+ noobs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

haveblue posted:

I don't get the (non-crossplay) games for PS3 or Vita because I'm not going to plug the PS3 back in or buy a Vita anytime soon.

You can trivialize most bosses by summoning, there's probably an NPC available somewhere in the area or you can ask for live players. It's really busy again since all the diehard players returned to support/prey on the influx of PS+ noobs.

I don't see me ever dusting my Vita off or getting a bigger memory card but I still buy everything. It's free!

And I tried summoning I still died so I just stopped playing. I'd ask for help in the thread and explain what I was doing and still get the standard "(thing) isn't hard just dodge/parry/summon and you'll get it in no time" response.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Len posted:

I don't see me ever dusting my Vita off or getting a bigger memory card but I still buy everything. It's free!

And I tried summoning I still died so I just stopped playing. I'd ask for help in the thread and explain what I was doing and still get the standard "(thing) isn't hard just dodge/parry/summon and you'll get it in no time" response.

The real secret is to do this:

Take the fight one part at a time. All the bosses have phases, so to keep from getting discouraged, treat each phase like a separate fight. Learn the first phase, focus on what moves the boss has during it, and what you need to do to not die during it. Don't worry about using up resources, or dealing damage. You're not trying to drain the whole health bar.

After you've got the first phase, do the exact same thing with the second phase. And for god's sake, TAKE A BREAK IF YOU GET FRUSTRATED! I usually find 5 attempts is enough to get me to go "gently caress this, time to do something else."

The games really are hard as heck. Do you remember which bosses you were up against?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

The real secret is to do this:

Take the fight one part at a time. All the bosses have phases, so to keep from getting discouraged, treat each phase like a separate fight. Learn the first phase, focus on what moves the boss has during it, and what you need to do to not die during it. Don't worry about using up resources, or dealing damage. You're not trying to drain the whole health bar.

After you've got the first phase, do the exact same thing with the second phase. And for god's sake, TAKE A BREAK IF YOU GET FRUSTRATED! I usually find 5 attempts is enough to get me to go "gently caress this, time to do something else."

The games really are hard as heck. Do you remember which bosses you were up against?

Something shortly after Rom I think? It's been forever since I played

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

After Rom the next required boss is One Reborn, so if that is who you mean then there are some good ideas to remember with him. One is to kill the bell ringing women around the balcony first so they don't complicate the fight. Then, if you have a good blunt damage weapon, try breaking his legs so he'll stagger and you can pull his spine out through his face. Otherwise keep to the sides and be ready to run when he starts to flood the arena with acid. I believe fire helps too if you have fire paper.

If it was a different boss if likely was one you can skip entirely or hold off on until you are overleveled. It took until well into my second playthrough to beat Ebrietas but she is very optional.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Len posted:

Something shortly after Rom I think? It's been forever since I played

If you do end up going back, I'd probably also suggest starting over. Maybe picking a different weapon to focus on. I really like that as far as I can tell, every single weapon in the base game is viable if you just tailor your build to it to maximize damage. And hit me up if you want a co-op partner if you do.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I would love to have a life where 'just start this many-hour game over' is a viable piece of advice and not a huge waste of time.

Edit: Sorry, that came out sounding way more caustic than I intended it to. But, like, what is this a roguelike?

Edit2: Looked it over and he said it's been forever so I guess starting over isn't so terrible in a situation like that, as opposed to a wall he ran into last week or something.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I finally beat the Times Square level in Sideway: New York! It was the first game I ever bought on Steam (7 years ago) but whenever I tried to play it it froze midway through Times Square, so I'm glad it finally worked. Now I just have a couple of bosses to go. :)

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Bloodborne is a souls game so its pretty much a sorta long rpg, how long it takes tends to be up to the individual and what they want to do as they go through the game, bloodborne in particular has a very large amount of optional content, but the main path to the end is only about 6 or 7 areas and only maybe 8 or so bosses that you have to fight. I find it takes me a long time because I like doing the optional stuff and I tend to find certain bosses to be big painful roadblocks, probably more due to being underleveled rather than just bad (though that's part of it to for sure)

For something relevant to the thread, the dlc is really good value for what it offers. In particular I love how the dlc weapons went in some really creative directions not to mention a lot of them are just really fun, like the Whirligig saw, which is basically just a massive rotary saw combined with a pizzacutter, or the sword that is also a bow.

Also I just found out the dlc is 70% off for ps plus so now is probably a really good time to get it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Morpheus posted:

I would love to have a life where 'just start this many-hour game over' is a viable piece of advice and not a huge waste of time.

Edit: Sorry, that came out sounding way more caustic than I intended it to. But, like, what is this a roguelike?

Edit2: Looked it over and he said it's been forever so I guess starting over isn't so terrible in a situation like that, as opposed to a wall he ran into last week or something.

Yeah, if he was a week out, gently caress that, keep going. But leaving a game like Bloodborne for a month or two means you're going to have a really tough time getting back in to it at the mid to late game stage. And it goes a lot faster if you know the general lay out of an area. I still suck-rear end at it, but I can get to Cleric Beast in about 20 minutes, with having leveled and upgraded my weapon, and Gasgoine in about 40 minutes total. First time through that was about 3 hours of progress.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I'm kind of mixed about the story of Xenoblade 2 so far, but some of these heart to heart moments left me with a big stupid grin on my face.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Inzombiac posted:

Maybe it's nostalgia but CT is the most fun I have ever had in an online game.
I loved PT's and CT's asymmetrical multiplayer, but I had the most fun in Conviction's co-op. Back when that game came out I was living with a roommate and we laughed our asses off every night for a week playing this loving thing. We tried playing it "right" (sneaking past 10 enemies) for an hour or so, then realized that it was much easier (and more fun) to go in with shotguns, raise the alarm and just slaughter 20 enemies.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CordlessPen posted:

I loved PT's and CT's asymmetrical multiplayer, but I had the most fun in Conviction's co-op. Back when that game came out I was living with a roommate and we laughed our asses off every night for a week playing this loving thing. We tried playing it "right" (sneaking past 10 enemies) for an hour or so, then realized that it was much easier (and more fun) to go in with shotguns, raise the alarm and just slaughter 20 enemies.

Chaos Theory's multiplayer was the best, no joke.

Gonna break a rule by posting a webcomic (rehosted), but this sums it up even 13 years later:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Alright I finished Hellblade and god drat was that an experience. It really is true that just about every aspect of the game is designed to express the themes it's going for. And there really are so many little things that are great about the game. Senua's appearance changes in minor ways throughout the whole game, like how her war paint gets smudged and is almost totally gone by the end. The game also implies that if you die too many times you'll eventually be permakilled (as the corruption spreads further with each death) and lose your save file completely, but this is a lie. The corruption does actually spread a little further each time (up until a certain point) but the idea that permadeath is a possible consequence is just there to gently caress with you. Heck, it's even thematicaly appropriate what with Senua herself being misled so many times in her life by the people around her. Also, the default combat difficulty is "auto," which I'm guessing is a dynamic setting and seems to be tuned well enough that you always feel like you're just barely managing to win.

I also liked that in the end Dillion was straight up just a really supportive partner. Other games might've gone with some twist where he was actually really awful and manipulating the protagonist for his own ends or something but Hellblade just plays it straight. Senua suffers from psychosis, Dillion was a genuinely good and caring person who loved and supported her, and the only tragedies here are that he's dead and you're alone. I appreciated his character because he's basically there as like, a guide on how to be a good partner for someone dealing with mental illness. For a fantasy game, I think they handled the whole subject matter with a good deal of tact. Even after the end, Senua isn't magically cured. It's an illness and it's not supernatural. There's no way to overcome it or run away from it. But it's also not necessarily a terrible thing to shun and be afraid of.

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 13:46 on Mar 15, 2018

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Quote-Unquote posted:

*dude once headbutted and broke a PSP because he was losing at Pro Evo soccer. Dude got really, really mad at football games. Extremely nice guy otherwise!
How do you even physically manage to do this? Did he put it down on a table or against a wall or what?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Olive! posted:

How do you even physically manage to do this? Did he put it down on a table or against a wall or what?

Two hands, bring to forehead, break screen.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What color belt do you get for that?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, Final Fantasy 14 is normally a very serious, grim fantasy MMO - par for the course, really. Except for the quest lines surrounding one specific character. I don't tend to take video games particularly seriously, and I adore FF14 taking the time out for wacky slapstick comedy where you can tell the animation crew had a lot of fun seeing just how much they could play with things, and the whole character is a giant parody of Inspector Clouseau from the Pink Panther. Characters not in on the joke already eventually realize what kind of story they're in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Final Fantasy 14, a "very serious, grim fantasy MMO"? In what universe? :psyduck: