Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I feel, in the interests of shitposting transparency, I should mention I am still a member of trash garbage party The Greens

If I’m going to eat poo poo it has to be artisanal organic poo poo with quinoa in it or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Dude McAwesome posted:

Don’t you need to be in bargaining and for it to be ratified by Fair Work and even then it has to be voted on by the majority, which the employer can oppose for the most farcical of reasons? And after it’s approved if the strike doesn’t occur in 90 days you need to reapply?

*Mr Burns voice*

Yes

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Straight out of this classic image from the WSJ

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Endman posted:

I feel, in the interests of shitposting transparency, I should mention I am still a member of trash garbage party The Greens

If I’m going to eat poo poo it has to be artisanal organic poo poo with quinoa in it or something

green is the same colour as a wheelie bin

coincidence?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Glad the greens are going to stop this.

loving hell. Nearly $160 000 in income. What the gently caress is this.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Does that mean she gets $29k in dividends PLUS the $12k rebate? (Ignoring the $130k in other income)

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
That person has more assets in retirement than most Australians will earn in their entire lifetimes.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Coucho Marx posted:

That person has more assets in retirement than most Australians will earn in their entire lifetimes.

Unrealistic Western standards of income.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
So I payed more in tax last week than retirees that “earn” 150k a year will pay ever. Have I got the current position correct?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Zenithe posted:

So I payed more in tax last week than retirees that “earn” 150k a year will pay ever. Have I got the current position correct?

You forgot the important fact that they are draining public resources with a refund on 0 tax and using a fuckton of health services most likely.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Mr Chips posted:

Does that mean she gets $29k in dividends PLUS the $12k rebate? (Ignoring the $130k in other income)

Yes, the franking credit refund is on top of dividends.

On rough calculation, based on my own situation, they'd need about $1M plus in shares to get those dividends.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Make no mistake it is the rich hiding as poor and Howard wanted them to do this.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

No but you can't stop just literally giving them money for nothing because it's unfair to change the rules on them.

*Overwhelmingly votes for conservative governments that want to after the fact increase the amount people are paying for their study debts*

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

This article looks like a decent summary on why the way franking credits currently work is pretty bullshit.

http://junkee.com/dividend-imputation-bill-shorten/150551

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/evcricket/status/974099225972695040

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

drunkill posted:

cursed image

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Australian Border Force Commissioner Roman Quaedvlieg has been sacked after a lengthy review found his conduct with a younger female staffer was inappropriate.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Australian Border Force Commissioner Roman Quaedvlieg has been sacked after a lengthy review found his conduct with a younger female staffer was inappropriate.

How long was he collecting pay for between the government getting the report and now?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

6 months I think?

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Probably a nice warm seat ready for him on Dutton's gun board.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/nyunggai/status/974148098216767488?s=19

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

If I say I’m something it means I’m something.

I’m prime minister

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Oh look, Dutton is a lying sack of poo poo as well as a Olympic level racist:

https://mg.co.za/article/2018-03-14-dirco-slams-refugee-status-for-white-south-africans

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

“The farmers want to work hard and contribute to a country like Australia”

I can’t quite put my finger on what would make Australia so attractive to afrikaners

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The main issue with the tax dividend snafu is that since it came in funds managers and investment advisers have been structuring financial matters to exploit it. As a result, with more and more people taking it up the budget cost is accelerating. It needs to be brought under control, and the sooner the better. Can't make an omelette without breaking eggs (etc.)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Zenithe posted:

Oh look, Dutton is a lying sack of poo poo as well as a Olympic level racist:

https://mg.co.za/article/2018-03-14-dirco-slams-refugee-status-for-white-south-africans

I don’t disagree with your point but “the government denies people are being persecuted” is perhaps not the best gauge of whether to consider refugee assistance as a rule

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

The guardian has an article on this that goes into statistics

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/mar/15/south-africa-criticises-australian-plan-to-fast-track-white-farmer-visas

quote:

However, Gareth Newham at the Institute for Security Studies, one of South Africa’s leading authorities on crime statistics, said there was no evidence to support the notion that white farmers were targeted more than anyone else in the country.

“In fact, young black males living in poor urban areas like Khayelitsha and Lange face a far greater risk of being murdered. The murder rate there is between 200 and 300 murders per 100,000 people,” he said. Even the highest estimates of farm murders stand at 133 per 100,000 people, and that includes both black and white murder victims.

Estimates of the rate of white farm murders are fiercely contested. “It’s a difficult question to answer because we don’t really know exactly how many white South Africa farmers there are,” said Newham.

“All these methodologies are hugely flawed because if you start ring-fencing certain people because of their race you are missing out on the bigger context of how violence and murder takes place in South Africa. I wouldn’t say that white farmers are more likely to be murdered than other groups, we don’t have enough evidence of that,” he added.

Newham said crime rates in general were going up, and the trend was not specific to white farmers.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer

Ok let's have some fun with this.

Using ANZ as the bank and 2017 financial year, this boomer total dividend is based of two $0.80 dividend payments (total $1.60).

Taking the total dividend amount and dividing it against the total payment rate gets you 18,631.25 (18,631 rounded) shares. Divide that in half gets you 9,315.625 (9316 rounded) shares, the amount of shares held for each dividend.

Now the closing price for ANZ was $28.05 so taking the amount of shares and multiply it by ANZ closing price and you get $261,313.80, the amount of money (excluding brokerage fees) to purchase shares today to receive $8,943 of sweet imputation credits. Imputation credits calculation is based off the payments being 100% franked and the corporate tax rate of 30%.

No idea where the rest of the imputation credits are coming from.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I wonder how many of these companies *actually* pay corporate tax as well, or if it's like 'well, theoretically this company pays 30% tax on these dividends, therefore we will assume they actually did'

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
hey rich retiree, here's your cash in lieu of a tax credit for paying 0 tax on profit that was never taxed, yay

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I think Blob Snorten's plan is to crack down on perks like these (negative gearing etc) and use the money to give bigger income tax cuts than the coalition. Might work.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

The Before Times posted:

I wonder how many of these companies *actually* pay corporate tax as well, or if it's like 'well, theoretically this company pays 30% tax on these dividends, therefore we will assume they actually did'

The company needs to pay tax to build its franking account, which is where the credits come from.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Birdstrike posted:

The company needs to pay tax to build its franking account, which is where the credits come from.

ok good, I was just wondering how high the rort goes lol

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/aliceworkman/cash-in-court

quote:

Jobs and innovation minister Michaelia Cash could face cross-examination in court over her office's involvement in tipping-off the media about police raids on union offices.
The Australian Workers Union's (AWU) legal representatives have informed the Federal Court that the union will seek to subpoena Cash, as well as her former media adviser David de Garis and former Fair Work Ombudsman (FWO) official Mark Lee.
The subpoena applications will be formally made in the next day and if successful, all three will be required to appear in court at the end of the month to give evidence and face cross-examination about their knowledge of the leaks and subsequent raids.

Shame it wouldn't be televised

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Alice will be there to tweet it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

One born to rule meltdown at the judge, and she could earn a contempt charge that should end her political career

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

NTRabbit posted:

One born to rule meltdown at the judge, and she could earn a contempt charge that should end her political career

She has been in a court before.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

JBP posted:

She has been in a court before.

She's been in estimates before too, didn't stop her having a meltdown there the other week

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

NTRabbit posted:

She's been in estimates before too, didn't stop her having a meltdown there the other week

Yeah but you're allowed to and the manner on inquiry will be different. I'm sure they'll try to get under her skin but it's harder when you have a judge versus literally no one to keep you in check as the inquisitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/liamvhogan/status/974153481169743872

• Locked thread