Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Mister Facetious posted:

Telus/PM has a stupidly low image/video size limit of like, 1mb or less.
So if say, my brother in B.C. wants to show me a 24s HD vid of a sea anemone, and sends it via MMS, it gets ruthlessly crushed to what looks like a 15fps 240p gif using the video codec the Playstation 1 had. :pwn:

And vice versa.

Is that a common usage case, my MMS only ever consists of poo poo like "look at this weird sign lol (pic)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
At a minimum, I use Google's gif search everyday cause I communicate via sick memes, bro. :coolspot:

If smartphones are going to make it so convenient, and as I have the data for it, I'm going to use it.
I mean poo poo; my phone's upload performance is better than my home internet.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Just be normal and stop communicating with people that dont have iMessage

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Say NO to green bubbles

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

Just be normal and stop communicating with people that dont have iMessage

To be perfectly clear, I'm not the one with an iPhone. In fact, I'm not sure how it wasn't obvious that I'm the one with an Android phone, given the references to Google and gboard that I made.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Nice

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Look, I'd get one if Apple were capable of releasing a 5"+ screen phone for CAD $500 before tax, but they aren't, so... eat the rich.

(Would kill for a iPhone)

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Mister Facetious posted:

(Would kill for a iPhone)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nah. Give me a 16:9 5S/SE or give me death.

Speaking of death, Koodo's $40 for 6gb ~*exclusive*~ offer to $120/12gb PM customers expires tomorrow.
I wonder what they'll try for the stick, now that the carrot has failed on me.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 15, 2018

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MMS is really loving awful

The limits carriers place on size, everything gets compressed. The way messages get mangled without your knowledge. My dad was on Windows Phone and I sent him MMS of my trip in Victoria and he basically got two 1 megapixel shots of some Tesla I was in. He's like "why didn't you send me your photos?" I'm like "I did" he's like "no you sent me two bad pictures of the car".

People on iMessage, FB Messenger, etc didn't have any problem getting full-res pictures and ALL of them.

MMS is stupid. Even if it's free. Just use something better. I'm still training my dad, he's a software professional that still thinks in C++ and COM and Win32 and doesn't understand "apps". You can train your friends.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Just did the conversion from PM to Koodo, and the guy in the booth was saying they have done 137 switches this week alone. As I was working with him, 3 more people came up to do the switch.

I asked about the waving of the Sim card and he was like "did it in the past, but word came down for us to stop for the conversions".

Rogers booth had a hand written sign with 6gb deal for $65. Ouch.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Pivo posted:

FB Messenger

Messenger flat out won't send an MMS if it's over the limit.
It'll send uncompressed using normal data (FB account to FB account), but not via phone number in MMS, and yes, I have people who aren't on FB, for one reason or another.

I would love more than anything for an iMessage solution (genuinely; I love my Mac Mini and OSX), but I can't afford those phones, and Google's left hand doesn't know what it's right is doing, and every few years, it forgets what both are doing, and tries again from scratch.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 15, 2018

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Ugh my Koodo port is slowed down because apparently their system can't handle it if you used to be a customer and are coming back. The support team apparently has to manually disconnect the old account or something. Annoying since I can't properly set up my new phone without my phone number.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
A Rogers store rep told me that they have a chatr migration plan for those of us who have the grandfathered Mobilicity plan. Has anyone here tried it out? Any catches?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Messenger flat out won't send an MMS if it's over the limit.
It'll send uncompressed using normal data

WTF did you think I was talking about? IP alternatives to MMS, not some loving weird adapter. The point was 'avoid MMS' not try to find a poo poo way to send a poo poo message, christ man.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The world isn't perfect friend. We gotta make the best of it; improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, poo poo happens. I Ching... whatever man, we gotta roll with it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Never seen Collateral I take it. The point is that not everything slots neatly into one app that can be all things to all people (unless you have an iPhone). This can come as a shock, but not everybody is on FB.

Got a new text today; Koodo is extending their $40/6gb indefinitely now ("limited time offer"). It begs the question: how many people bought into PM's $120/12gb plan, cause it must be a lot.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 15, 2018

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Public Mobile here, again! Due to popular demand, we are extending the $40 6GB offer for a limited time only! Don't miss out, join Koodo today and get 6GB of data, unlimited text and unlimited Canada-wide minutes for $40/month. Plus you may qualify for a $0 phone with the Koodo Tab. And you'll also get a one-time $100 bill credit. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO406GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
lol I guess I didn't have to rush to hit the mall at 8pm last night.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That March 15 deadline worked out pretty well for me, my PM renewal dates were March 16 and March 17. Did it a few days early to beat the rush, collected bill credits, referrals, and 400 off a Pixel 2 for my trouble. Could've saved another $75 on Pixel by ordering online after activation instead of buying at the time-of, but I needed a present for my wife anyway.

PS, you can still (as of a day or two ago) get $50 Koodo referrals instead of $25 by manipulating the referral link text.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Telus execs sweating their balls off trying to move people over to koodo

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I think if you move over to post paid you are treated as a new subscriber, showing subscriber growth.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Watch this be an elaborate money laundering scheme

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > Canadian Cellular: Watch this be an elaborate money laundering scheme

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I like being a BellMTS customer and being charged roaming whenever I use the Bell Cell Phone network outside of Manitoba

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

DariusLikewise posted:

I like being a BellMTS customer and being charged roaming whenever I use the Bell Cell Phone network outside of Manitoba

Shut your dirty mouth commie, welcome to the free market there can't possibly be any downsides

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004
Anyone on Public Mobile in Montreal getting these texts? First I've heard of them. Shame I just reupped for 3 months.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I want to thank the goon I referred that's still on Public Mobile; every three dollar discount helps! You know who you are. :wink:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Switching from PM to Koodo has been fine here. A bit more expensive but the network seems to be noticeably faster. Only real complaint is the long distance plans are poo poo. PM cut off long distance if you didn't have a minute bank, and leftover minutes carried across, unlike Koodo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's kind of early to ask but if I'm going to England in the fall and I'm on Koodo now (just switched from PM) what's my best option for getting service over there? Mostly I would just care about data. I've bought SIM cards from Roam Mobility in the past when going to Europe or the States, not sure if that's still what I should do.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Dillbag posted:

Switching from PM to Koodo has been fine here. A bit more expensive but the network seems to be noticeably faster.

Same - some areas that I had spotty LTE are now solid. I'm thinking that PM was deprioritized on the Telus network or something (if that's at all possible). (These are areas just out of Toronto)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MVNOs (yes, even if owned by the incumbent) can be de-prioritized on the incumbent network like if the call or data volume is too high, your call might not connect or your throughput will be slower, but you *should* be seeing the same signal strength and connecting to the same towers ...

It is possible it is a coincidence, and the network guys fixed a dead zone.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 25, 2018

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lobok posted:

It's kind of early to ask but if I'm going to England in the fall and I'm on Koodo now (just switched from PM) what's my best option for getting service over there? Mostly I would just care about data. I've bought SIM cards from Roam Mobility in the past when going to Europe or the States, not sure if that's still what I should do.

If you're flying into Heathrow, there are vending machines that sell 3 travel SIMs that are like 5gb and talk/text for $25

Otherwise, just go to the nearest 3 store.

https://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Pay_As_You_Go

less than three fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 25, 2018

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

less than three posted:

If you're flying into Heathrow, there are vending machines that sell 3 travel SIMs that are like 5gb and talk/text for $25

Otherwise, just go to the nearest 3 store.

https://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Pay_As_You_Go

Are they reliable? That's what I ended up doing in Dublin a couple years ago (convenience store, not airport) and whatever service I ended up with was very frustrating to set up and generally crappy.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lobok posted:

Are they reliable? That's what I ended up doing in Dublin a couple years ago (convenience store, not airport) and whatever service I ended up with was very frustrating to set up and generally crappy.

Yeah. They're not an MNVO or anything, our equivalent of Bell/Telus/Rogers.

I've used them in the UK and Sweden for 3 trips so far.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

3 is definitely the way to go.

Once you have a SIM, the add-on packs (you top up with say 10 and then immediately buy the 10 add-on) can be used in a good chunk of the rest of the world. (The 3/2/1 pay per use rates aren't valid when roaming)

You can't reload online without a UK credit card, but you can get someone you know in the UK to go into any shop, buy a topup, and email you the code. In the past couple years I've now used it in Spain, Croatia, Ireland, and the US without having been connected to the network in the UK at all before or after. I'm sure it's against the TOS, but so far no issues. 15 for 5GB (the plan I usually grab if I'm somewhere for a week) is possibly not the cheapest data available in every country, but not having to hunt down prepaid SIM cards after a long flight is worth it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

NM answered my own question

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

CBC reporting some deals to be had and, of course, varies greatly depending on which province you live in.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/wireless-bonus-data-telcos-1.4677855