Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Read the name of the subforum

If you like it enough just hand over your wallet and start grinning as you throw it around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Oh hey I thought there was a VW thread around here somewhere.

Friend asked me to take a look at his Q5 (2013, 2.0t) the other day that had a CEL. I get the following:

Historic fault: P12A2 for fuel rail pressure high

Pending codes are
P2178 - system too lean at idle bank 1
P0507 - idle control system rpm higher than expected

Indicates a vacuum leak to me and there's a hissing/leak noise from the PCV/AOS assembly so it seems like a new one of those is needed. ECS has a kit with the aos and some stuff to go with it and I was probably going to send him the link.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/emissions-service-kit/06h103223akt/

Doesn't really explain the fuel pressure code though. Or maybe it does? Change in manifold pressure results in a change in fuel pressure.

Thoughts? AOS/PCV seems like a common issue on these things but at the same time I don't want the guy to spend like $430 and then still have issues.

Also, do I need all that poo poo and would I be better off going to a dealer or parts store? There's no Audi dealer in town but I assume the VW place would have all the same stuff.

Follow-up: we got just the diaphagm and cover from a parts store for like $30, seems to have taken care of it. The one in there was ripped. Seemed worth it to try compared to replacing everything so we'll see how long it holds up.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 18, 2018

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

DesperateDan posted:

Read the name of the subforum

If you like it enough just hand over your wallet and start grinning as you throw it around

Did exactly that...

Hopefully I won't be posting here for help on getting it fixed as I did something I never expected and coughed up for an extended warranty till 2024...

Will say it doesn't throw around all that much - feels heavy as gently caress - until you floor it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Are there roll-up or foldable cargo covers for a 2008 GTI? I've only seen the regular rigid ones.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Update from me if anyone remembers my minor saga (2013 Audi S4 with rampant incurable electrical problems). Turns out the cure was the dealership after all (mechanic #5). They replaced the central command module and the steering control computer which ended up taking care of all the issues. They couldn't tell me why exactly the steering control computer failed - the final theory was that it was due to impact with a pothole which also damaged the front left control arm and skid plate. There is apparently some evidence of undisclosed body work but its at the front right quarter panel and doesn't seem related.

No flooding evidence, no weird electrical aftermarket nonsense, no frayed or eaten wiring. All in all cost me and my insurance company a combined total of $5100. But it works! And I'm too goofily in love with the car to sell it now until something else breaks and takes my heart with it :(

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I’m glad to hear it all worked out and you didn’t blows thousands of dollars chasing an electrical gremlin down a rabbit whole.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

flightless greeb posted:

Update from me if anyone remembers my minor saga (2013 Audi S4 with rampant incurable electrical problems). Turns out the cure was the dealership after all (mechanic #5). They replaced the central command module and the steering control computer which ended up taking care of all the issues. They couldn't tell me why exactly the steering control computer failed - the final theory was that it was due to impact with a pothole which also damaged the front left control arm and skid plate. There is apparently some evidence of undisclosed body work but its at the front right quarter panel and doesn't seem related.

No flooding evidence, no weird electrical aftermarket nonsense, no frayed or eaten wiring. All in all cost me and my insurance company a combined total of $5100. But it works! And I'm too goofily in love with the car to sell it now until something else breaks and takes my heart with it :(

Me and my insurance company? How much out of pocket?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mr. Apollo posted:

I’m glad to hear it all worked out and you didn’t blows thousands of dollars chasing an electrical gremlin down a rabbit whole.

Sounds like exactly what happened. :v:

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
At least he found a fix to the problem instead of giving up and leaving it a mystery!

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

1,000$ deductible so not thousand(s) lol. Now I immediately want to get an intake for it and a stage 1 tune. Is that dumb?? Also I know I'm posting about cars in the car forum but I'm actually a girl lol

EDIT: victorious photo at home

flightless greeb fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 14, 2018

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

flightless greeb posted:

1,000$ deductible so not thousand(s) lol. Now I immediately want to get an intake for it and a stage 1 tune. Is that dumb?? Also I know I'm posting about cars in the car forum but I'm actually a girl lol

EDIT: victorious photo at home

there are no girls on the internet be serious

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

tactlessbastard posted:

there are no girls on the internet be serious

4rl

and I'd give the car a few months to make sure there are no issues before you mess with it, otherwise go tune + downpipe, instead

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm glad you got that poo poo sorted out. I'm gonna look hard at the last few years that came with a manual once the lease on my gti is coming up.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Sorry if Im dumb but is a downpipe after the cats or before, I cant remember? I do wanna do an exhaust but Im terrified of drone since my friends Boxster drones like mad and its super annoying. Plus like quality catbacks Ive seen for the S4 are like $2000 which is kinda urrk

Oh yeah and just to be clear, this was a very uncommon issue and hasn't really turned me off Audi as a brand at all. I'll be more than happy to keep the car for years now if it continues to behave.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

flightless greeb posted:

Sorry if Im dumb but is a downpipe after the cats or before, I cant remember? I do wanna do an exhaust but Im terrified of drone since my friends Boxster drones like mad and its super annoying. Plus like quality catbacks Ive seen for the S4 are like $2000 which is kinda urrk

Oh yeah and just to be clear, this was a very uncommon issue and hasn't really turned me off Audi as a brand at all. I'll be more than happy to keep the car for years now if it continues to behave.

It's right after the turbo on turbo cars and probably contains the cat (most newer cars try to put it as close to the turbo as possible). Look on youtube for clips. Most DPs don't cause drone, just a little deeper sound and is probably the biggest power gain for the money (besides tune).

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I'm guessing stuff pre-cat is a no go for California unless someone bothers with CARB approved stickers which Im sure wouldnt be cheap. Neat idea tho thanks!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Is the car CPO? Audi will flag it if it has a tune on it as any work done at the dealer requires the car to be hooked up to the diagnostics machine and the first think it does is check the ECU. Lots of people flash back to the stock firmware on the ECU before taking it in to avoid this.

Also, a lot of the drone can be eliminated by pulling the fuse for the soundaktor.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I wanted to install a RCD 330G Plus but I heard there was a battery draining issue? I read that it was related to the CANBUS model you have, but haven't been able to find any other information. Anyone install this?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Mr. Apollo posted:

Is the car CPO? Audi will flag it if it has a tune on it as any work done at the dealer requires the car to be hooked up to the diagnostics machine and the first think it does is check the ECU. Lots of people flash back to the stock firmware on the ECU before taking it in to avoid this.

Also, a lot of the drone can be eliminated by pulling the fuse for the soundaktor.

Not CPO or under warranty so should be fine there. Good to know about Audis hilarious sound aktor technology.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Go Stage 2.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

flightless greeb posted:

Not CPO or under warranty so should be fine there. Good to know about Audis hilarious sound aktor technology.
I believe that pulling the fuse will generate a fault code but if you have access to VCDS you can always access Address A9: Struct. Borne Sound (J869) and adjust the speaker volume to 0%.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

flightless greeb posted:

I had an AWE Touring exhaust on my 2013 S4 and loooooooved it. Great car. I've been missing it lately.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

That's the exact one I was looking at! It's around $1800 or something right? Coming from a car where the exhaust was $800 makes that a little rough to swallow. Plus as I recall people complained about drone unless you bought the $900 resonators as well?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Even with the resonators I’ve read about people still complaining about the drone.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

flightless greeb posted:

That's the exact one I was looking at! It's around $1800 or something right? Coming from a car where the exhaust was $800 makes that a little rough to swallow. Plus as I recall people complained about drone unless you bought the $900 resonators as well?

The majority of people complaining about drone are DSG owners. Mine was a manual and didn't drone at all. With tax day coming up, a lot of retailers are having sales trying to get your refund money. If I remember correctly, my Touring exhaust cost about $1600 shipped when I got it in 2013.

For what it's worth, I've owned two B8's and three B8.5's, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 19, 2018

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Transmission is puking fluid from the sensor port. Gotta drop the valve body, replace the seals, wiring harness, etc. :10bux:

Captain Tact
Feb 9, 2006
I'm your only friend, I'm not your only friend.
VAG goons: I'm looking to buy a B8.5 S4 and need to know what issues I need to look for specific to the S4 while I'm sifting through the pile of branded titles and shady used car lots. I get a general creepy feeling when dealing with car dealers (got screwed really bad on my first car purchase) and my worst fear is being a sucker, so the hair on the back of my neck starts standing up as soon as I see one at a good price.

Couple of more specific questions:
Is this a car that should not be purchased without a warranty? (I can do some work on my own, but prefer not to get under the car)
Should I pass on a good deal if it doesn't have the sport diff?
What the highest mileage should I shoot for?

TIA

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mr. Apollo posted:

Even with the resonators I’ve read about people still complaining about the drone.

Thanks Obama

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Captain Tact posted:

VAG goons: I'm looking to buy a B8.5 S4 and need to know what issues I need to look for specific to the S4 while I'm sifting through the pile of branded titles and shady used car lots. I get a general creepy feeling when dealing with car dealers (got screwed really bad on my first car purchase) and my worst fear is being a sucker, so the hair on the back of my neck starts standing up as soon as I see one at a good price.

Couple of more specific questions:
Is this a car that should not be purchased without a warranty? (I can do some work on my own, but prefer not to get under the car)
Should I pass on a good deal if it doesn't have the sport diff?
What the highest mileage should I shoot for?

TIA

A lot of the issues the B8 S4 had were fixed in the B8.5. The B8 was known for leaking sport diffs ( my 2011 had one), and DSG mechatronic units taking shits. That's not to say a B8.5 can't, but it's far, far less common.

Personally I would not buy one without the sport diff. Both my 2011 & 2013 had it, and it does make a difference. People who say you don't need it are people who have never felt the car rotate underneath you through a turn at speed as the sport diff does its magic. Totally worth it if you enjoy driving.

Buy a 2014 or 2015 with remaining factory warranty (4yr/50k) and have any issues addressed after purchase. CPO warranties are great but you'll pay more for a CPO car, and you'll void it anyway if you start modding. Google "Audi TD1" for more on that subject. A Carfax will tell you a car's original in-service date, so that's when the warranty clock starts ticking.

I would look for a car in the 40k mileage range. You can find them for right around $30k right now. (I've been shopping for a B8.5 S5 cab for my mom, so I'm watching the market.) I'd hold out for a car with B&O stereo, 3G MMI+ nav, Advanced Key, and Drive Select.

Be aware that in 2013, if an S4 had Drive Select, it had the Sport Diff too. In 2014 they separated those options and all cars came with Drive Select. So you can't tell if a 2014+ S4 has a Sport Diff just by checking for the Drive Select buttons on the center stack. You'll need to see the original window sticker or physically look underneath the car to verify.

Good luck!

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I debated whether or not to respond but my B8.5 S4 has crazy electrical problems which were insanely time consuming to diagnose and repair. The car was off the road for like four months as a result. That said it's a super rare problem and hard to even inspect for.

Basically if you get the chance, throw the car into a high speed turn during the test drive and see if it misbehaves at all. That's the only way I would have caught it pre-purchase.

Also also if you're going to be picky as was suggested and you want a manual (the B8.5 is sadly the last manual S4 for the US) be prepared to wait awhile and cast a wide net. It took me two months of constant searching to find a car with an MT, audi 3G MMI, a sport diff and B&O sound in my price range nation wide. I went for the older 2013 and paid about 25k for a 60k mile car for reference. And wow do I wish I'd had something with a warranty haha - I skipped those initially because my plan was to mod it right away but I have definite regrets about that now.

Captain Tact
Feb 9, 2006
I'm your only friend, I'm not your only friend.
Excellent insights, thanks! I've seen a couple 2014s in the $26k-$28k range that I'm thinking about having inspected since they are far away. Like you said, I'm having to cast a wide net. Will keep eyes open for sport diff. Nice stereo is a must too since my last few cars have had crap systems.

What kind of electrical issue did you have that makes it misbehave in a high speed turn? That's kind of terrifying. Was it some kind of short in a harness that needed lateral gs to move?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

It was a fault with the steering control computer that would momentarily take out the instrument cluster, so not super dangerous but very annoying. It eventually escalated to happening when I hit a pot hole and then ended up taking out the center console, ebrake and power steering.

Took a long time to figure out because I was trying to keep it out of the dealership which ended up being a mistake.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Take the car to an independent shop before purchase; even if it’s CPO. Audi forums are full of stories of how people like to beat on them.

Check the front underbody tray. A lot of people, for whatever reason, take their car to Jiffylube for oil changes. Instead of taking the time to remove the underbody tray, they’ll often just cut a hole in it to access the oil filter.

The B8.5 is a pretty solid car buy their are always exceptions. As mentioned above, all the big issues with the B8 were address with the B8.5. It also gained A2DP so you can stream audio from your phone via Bluetooth.

As others said the Sport Differential is a really nice option. You can easily make the rear end swing out with a bit of gas.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Is there a way to check on/off status of heated seats with VCDS? The seat back on GTI never seems to get warm when I have the seats on, however sometimes it feels a little too hot with them off (at this time of year war I have seats on while going to work and off when driving home).

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Well I messed around and bought my first ever Audi today. Replacing my 99 Escalade (I have a taste for luxury with no taste for spending too much)

06 A4 Avant 2.0t Quattro
1 previous owner, clean title, carfax showed a pair of services done at a dealer in vegas, at 90 and 110.

It's in pretty great shape, 1 small dent in the hood where someone either backed into it or the previous owner bumped someone, going to see if I can have it popped out. Didn't notice it on the test drive but the window has a chip in it, not cracking yet so hopefully it holds out for a year or so. Also some of the windows don't like to keep rolling down as the switch is held? Not suprised a german car has electrical issues. Hoping it's an easy fix, but since the drivers door works fine I can probably live with it. They eventually go down after a couple presses and seem to rise just fine so not too bad.

Everything else is good except I don't have any record of the timing belt and water pump having been replaced yet. I knew this going in and did some research, it's a big job but I have access to a shop and tools and found some great walkthroughs on youtube so I'm going to do it soon.

Not planning on doing too much to this car as it'll be my daily and I plan on doing some road trips and camping in it. My plan is: timing belt and water pump as soon as I get a day to go at it, window tint, maybe a cat back down the road.

Anyone have any advice? Anything I should do or check immediately? Any easy mods or fun stuff I should look into? Is there a way I can see if that timing belt has been done without completely disassembling the front of the car?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Nice ride!

For the window switches, get some spray contact cleaner with a thin straw type applicator and douse the poo poo out of the switches while trying to poke the end in any gaps you can make by pressing the switches in. If that doesn't at least make it better you probably need new switches but I have kept the ones in my a4 going for years so far by dousing them out once a year or so.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I remember reading about a less expensive VAG-COM alternative years (?) ago. What was that? I wanna look into it again.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Uthor posted:

I remember reading about a less expensive VAG-COM alternative years (?) ago. What was that? I wanna look into it again.

Answered in the other thread, but it's OBDEleven.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

How much is VAGCOM normally? Every time I search for it I get confused since I'm not like 100% sure what the product is supposed to look like lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Larrymer posted:

Answered in the other thread, but it's OBDEleven.

Thanks!