Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

To be entirely fair, the only available contract above 10% salvage rights was the Davion one and, as mentioned, planetary assaults tend to be rather lethal. And the other aspects of the contract that we got hosed on weren't really visible from the mission select.

On the other hand, with 40% salvage rights the Davion contract is kind of a picture perfect example of "yeah, many/most of you will die, but the survivors will be rather rich." At which point you can cash out of the merc business, or rebuild on a more financially secure footing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Wait, that Toro is armed with SRM-2's and a Large laser?

That could mean that it's the original Toro prototype model, the TR-A-1! (I don't know if they made more than one prototype though)

I don't know about you guys but a rare prototype is probably worth quite a bit in a museum or some very wealthy person's collection if anyone makes it out alive or if anyone want to actually USE such a old model of mech.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Yeah it's almost useless as an actual combat machine even if we strip it and replace the armor because it's so slow. (Plus no way to represent it in the Battletech game).

Collectors item? Maybe?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

In character we have no idea what this thing is, so what we do with it depends on how long it takes to ID it, if we even can.

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

Lol, so the production version of this was supposed to be a baby panther with a PPC?

IMO it looks like an Archer and a Warhammer had a 35ton child.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

1000 years in the future and soldiers are still marrying random folks at their port calls. Are we paying our guys BAH?

Camp followers will be camp followers.

You just know that one of the support crew brought the boss to meet their new wife, and the look on the boss's face when the guy brings them to a local strip club.

And, should I be worried that wherever we are there seems to be a positive abundance of mech-qualified flamethrower troopers? In my fluff for the character, Figment wasn't piloting that Firestarter because it was her first choice...

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.

Saros posted:

Yeah it's almost useless as an actual combat machine even if we strip it and replace the armor because it's so slow. (Plus no way to represent it in the Battletech game).

Collectors item? Maybe?

If we can't sell it at a premium due to historical interest, since it has 2 missile hardpoints, can we stripe it and load it full of LRM's and let it me an indirect missile boat. It wouldn't be safe but it may at least be effective out of harms way.

Leith Maclaine fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 14, 2018

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

As much as I appreciate lovely mechs and rolling out in them, the company needs to ice some debt.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah we have five mechs that are better than this museum piece and a huge debt to the company store. We need to pawn this one off.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Oh, I agree the preference is to sell. I'm just trying to think of backup plans (LRM 15 maybe)........

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The Toro was the Taurian Concordat (they have a bull theme, they are Space Texas)'s first BattleMech. It's probably only really valuable to the Taurians, but they could be very interested in it as a national pride / museum piece / presidential lawn ornament. Not "Here's a BattleMech Company" interested of course, but if the lance needs to make a run to the periphery to hide from ComStar / flee our debt, the Taurian Concordat is as good a place as any because they're not likely to extradite if we make a "gift" of it and, for all their ability, ComStar is also lazy as poo poo when it comes to cleaning up loose ends.

The only other real use for the Toro is to scam some rich idiot out of far more than it's worth, but the odds of doing that successfully are pretty slim.

Anyone rich enough and ill-informed enough to buy it probably doesn't want or need a BattleMech. Anyone desperate for any 'Mech is going to know enough to know its junk and/or won't have enough money to actually buy it.

Edit: The Toro is a very useful "escape clause" but a significantly less useful bargaining chit.

Double Edit: The downside to this is, since the Toro is not likely to be in Space Jane's Almonac, our mercs aren't really going to know what to do with it. Hauling a fifth 'Mech that's not really combat capable is a waste.

This is a situation where we probably want to turn the Toro over to ComStar. They clearly think we've found "something" and want to shut us up, if we turn it over willingly they can probably use it as a bargaining chit to get something out of the Taurians themselves and if we bargain hard they may be willing to reduce or even wipe our debt.

ComStar is not above being bought if we offer a carrot that's more valuable / entertaining to them then beating us with a stick would be.

VVV Primitive weapons are not worth using, it's best to leave them where they are.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 14, 2018

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Pull the weapons off the Toro and sell the chassis. Leaving it hanging around just costs money and time in maintenance, which even if only a small amount, is not worth paying as you're never going to use that thing.

As for the debt, get everyone to square away the gear and load up... as soon and the team is back from this fight, contracts over right? Let's just leg it and leave Comstar holding the tab.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 14, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Saving an SRM 2 seems barely worth the time to unbolt it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tindahbawx posted:

As for the debt, get everyone to square away the gear and load up... as soon and the team is back from this fight, contracts over right? Let's just leg it and leave Comstar holding the tab.

The average survival time for a mercenary unit that gets branded a pack of pirates is something like six months. That is quite possibly what happened to the "pirates" we're currently killing.

Chances are pretty good the crew of any DropShip we ship out on will subdue us and return us to ComStar for trial before we make it out of the system.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I have no idea why people keep bringing that up when we all know what Comstar is capable of.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is a situation where we probably want to turn the Toro over to ComStar. They clearly think we've found "something" and want to shut us up, if we turn it over willingly they can probably use it as a bargaining chit to get something out of the Taurians themselves and if we bargain hard they may be willing to reduce or even wipe our debt.

ComStar is not above being bought if we offer a carrot that's more valuable / entertaining to them then beating us with a stick would be.

This seems like a sensible choice to me. It probably won't be enough to wipe our debt, but every little helps and it's not like we have any use for the thing.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
+1

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Brainstorming: Not that this is a good idea but.......................could we take the engine from the Toro and fix up the commando?

PopTartNinja's idea about "gifting" the Toro to Comstar in exchange for debts or other favors is the smart thing to do.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

VVV Primitive weapons are not worth using, it's best to leave them where they are.

As an aside, the unit card doesn't say the weapons are primitive - is this assumed, or has it been retrofitted with modern weaponry?

I think the toro's best used after we see how the final mission goes. We'll see!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Leith Maclaine posted:

Brainstorming: Not that this is a good idea but.......................could we take the engine from the Toro and fix up the commando?

PopTartNinja's idea about "gifting" the Toro to Comstar in exchange for debts or other favors is the smart thing to do.

Honestly, the Commando probably isn't worth it, and if we want to sell the Toro, having its engine in it is probably for the better, IIRC the engine of the mech is one of the most expensive parts since they all march around on miniaturized fusion reactors.

Cythereal posted:

I'm from a cheerful little Kurita planet named Bad News - no that's not a joke, and yes it's well named - on the edge of Combine space, but that's no protection for my family. If the Combine feels like it, they won't hesitate to kill people deep inside other Successor States. Personally I thought the Dragon was the pride of the Combine, but I am sufficiently intimidated by our employers to err on the side of caution.

As for looking for a job with the Combine... I don't advise it in general. Completely aside from the fact that I may very well be kill on sight in Kurita space anyway (no, Miranda is not the name I was born with), the Combine is, shall we say, not known for their fondness for mercenaries. I would not expect them to be generous with their treasury nor likely to assign us missions with a high likelihood of survival. Mercenary contracts from the Combine tend to mean they want deniability, the mission has an extremely low probability of survival, the DCMS is desperate, or some or all of the above. Deal with the Davions, deal with the Steiners, deal with the Mariks, maybe even deal with the Liaos, but don't make deals with dragons.

As for the Toro, nothing about this job has made sense so far and I've given up expecting it to. Remember that 1X Blackjack back on the first deployment? That's a really, REALLY old 'Mech even by the standards of Star League designs.

Yeah, at this point I'm ready to just throw up my hands, praise Blake, and stop making a fuss to ComStar. Whiskey helps.

-Figment

Fair point, the Dragon isn't too fond of hiring sellswords, the lances we occasionally worked with back on Akrab tended to be very..."polite" when nit came to dealing with any DCMS personnel, at the time I thought they were just being professional...

Leith Maclaine posted:

Just because you have been stuck in the sick bay and haven't had any success with Nurse Hija.................................................

Low blow bro.............

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Fair point, the Dragon isn't too fond of hiring sellswords, the lances we occasionally worked with back on Akrab tended to be very..."polite" when nit came to dealing with any DCMS personnel, at the time I thought they were just being professional...

Better safe than sorry when dealing with the Kuritas, in my experience. The Five Pillars and other organs of the Dragon cast a long shadow, even out near the Periphery border. Bad News has a permanent 'Mech garrison attached to it in case the Outworlds Alliance gets any ideas.

In the extreme off chance I live long enough and make enough money with this outfit to retire comfortably, I think Steiner space would be my first pick. Not as fractious as the FWL, something to do besides intrigue with other nobles and lord over illiterate dirt farmers unlike Davion space. I bet the Steiners wouldn't mind a wealthy enough MechWarrior who actually knows which end of a lance goes where, unlike their social generals.

At any rate, +1 for giving the Toro to ComStar.

As for the new outfit dependents... Well, I suppose expecting this outfit to have better standards than Davion peasants on a planet getting fought over by mercs and pirates was too much to hope for. A classy outfit, this is decidedly not.

-Figment

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yes, clearly after loving with us the whole contract and giving us the lavish gift of an LRM carrier worth less than dryer lint in a gameplay medium we could not even use it if we want to. Obviously Comstar will buy a Touru for millions of C-Bills off our debt and give us a nice apology fruit basket.

Or maybe just confiscate it, and then fine us for not telling them five hours before we landed planetside, the much more likley prospect. Oh and Comstar owns internet so they will see the sales receipt for whoever we sell it to and revoke our license if we try to offload it under the table. Given how so much as rude nicknames means pointing at the rocks fall everyone dies lever and waggling their eyebrows.

That's one of the problems with moustache twirling runs the setting puppetmaster archetypes. Any claims you can appeal to them or get in their good graces is fairly empty because of how much everyone busy is doubling down on how much they can end you on a whim.

When you can't help but spend every five seconds reminding the team that all working harder than any Merc unit/shadowrunners/Dark Sun desert murder hobos for hire/etc has in the last decade gets you is your boss turning the screws further, Why do people keep acting like token gestures will suddenly make them have a change of heart?

So gently caress it, full speed ahead, and anything goes as long as we're still completing the mission.

Typo based Edit: Man, I'd be loving stoked if we found a Touro mech instead of a Toro.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 14, 2018

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cythereal posted:

Camp followers will be camp followers.

You just know that one of the support crew brought the boss to meet their new wife, and the look on the boss's face when the guy brings them to a local strip club.

And, should I be worried that wherever we are there seems to be a positive abundance of mech-qualified flamethrower troopers? In my fluff for the character, Figment wasn't piloting that Firestarter because it was her first choice...
This is the rear end end of the Third Succession War, maybe the market for war crimes have dried up.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Section Z posted:

That's one of the problems with moustache twirling runs the setting puppetmaster archetypes. Any claims you can appeal to them or get in their good graces is fairly empty because of how much everyone busy is doubling down on how much they can end you on a whim.

Which is why the smart thing to do is to play like they're not moustache-twirling imbeciles. ComStar gets lazy as gently caress when they believe they hold all the power. Turning over a BattleMech we found in our space garage that does not belong to us does several things:

1) It shows we still trust our employer, which:

2) makes us less threatening to ComStar directly, especially if we showed them were we found the thing. We're guileless which means we go straight into the pool of "people we can manipulate and therefore don't need to worry about and/or kill"

3) Cuts down on the chances that one of ComStar's loaner technicians notices the loving thing and spreads a rumor that we have somehow built a totally new BattleMech out of the junk we've been salvaging. Something which is considered essentially impossible until the Wolfhound / Hatchetman / etc. hit the markets in a decade or so and will quite possibly get us put on ComStar's "kill" list.

4) Saves us from paying the maintenance expenses on a primitive BattleMech with a fusion engine so useless it can barely get a light 'Mech to 50 kph. This thing is a maintenance black hole and any time we spend so much as looking at it is a waste to our mercs.

5) Even if ComStar only gives us the 'Mech's value off our debt, that's still 1.8 million less debt. However, ComStar is prone to random bouts of "benevolence" because they like it when people spread nice rumors about them wiping out a struggling merc company's debt after a harder-than-expected mission trashes their machines. This is not a guarantee, but giving ComStar an opportunity to feel superior is a reasonable way to trick them into accidentally committing a little noblesse oblige.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

PoptartsNinja posted:

5) Even if ComStar only gives us the 'Mech's value off our debt, that's still 1.8 million less debt. However, ComStar is prone to random bouts of "benevolence" because they like it when people spread nice rumors about them wiping out a struggling merc company's debt after a harder-than-expected mission trashes their machines. This is not a guarantee, but giving ComStar an opportunity to feel superior is a reasonable way to trick them into accidentally committing a little noblesse oblige.

Oh my god.

Literally treat Comstar like a bad GM runs their organization.

It's genius in it's simplicity.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
ComStar in 3025 is an organization full of Machiavellis who think they are too intelligent to be manipulated.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

PoptartsNinja posted:

ComStar in 3025 is an organization full of Machiavellis who think they are too intelligent to be manipulated.

These are guys who actively go around wearing cheesy wizard outfits that would get them laughed out of any Halloween party on today's Earth and love playing the "don't question me for I am mysterious" card. They're totally the kind of people who would love to show how "superior" they are by "granting us a boon" for "returning such a valuable prize" to them.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I got a Commando 1A from one of these events. It's so slow.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PTN makes a good case.

Let's try to turn that hunk of junk Toro into a bargaining chip with Comstar.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
hoo.... I've been on a riot suppression job for the Combine for a few in game months, mostly just watching "loyalists" and "rioters" fall over and blow themselves up piloting farming and civilian mechs ....lets just sell the Toro and forget we ever had it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Graciously give the Toro to ComStar

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

https://goo.gl/images/D12E3P Oh boy, they're giving us free chocolate?!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Rygar201 posted:

Graciously give the Toro to ComStar

You realize 'give' usually means 'for free', right?

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I am with PTN, I think we can use them to appear smaller and way more compliant than we actually are to get more out of this than we normally would by selling it to some shelb on the galaxy market.

It's a bargaining chip. Not an /amazing/ one, but it's one.

Use the Toro to gain leverage in negociation with ComStar

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
At least detail it, replace a couple of components and act like we found it damaged and refurbished it.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

On the other hand, with 40% salvage rights the Davion contract is kind of a picture perfect example of "yeah, many/most of you will die, but the survivors will be rather rich." At which point you can cash out of the merc business, or rebuild on a more financially secure footing.

Every single merc with a battletech can cash out at any time. Sell it, and even if they only got half price for it (in the tail end of the 3rd succession war you'll probably get much more given how mech-hungry everyone is) live comfortably for the rest of their lives. 1 Cbill is worth I think over $10 USD in today money, so if you get "only" 1.5 million Cbills that's plenty of cash.

Or you can just work for standard Mechwarrior pay of 1500 Cbills a month while routinely getting shot at by lasers, missiles and cannons. I guess that's an option.

This is a good thread and I wish I'd known there were mods for the Beta before it got taken down. I didn't think to copy my data before it happened.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Someone has modded in pretty much the entirety of the 3025 TRO by mushing together the exisiting models already in the game. How do people feel about this. Should we stick with the really nice models that HBS have provided, it's a restricted rostor but it looks good. Or do we want these crazy frankenmechs showing up.

Here is a Javelin..

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

They kinda look like rear end but honestly, shooting up Locusts and Shadowhawks and whatnot is getting a bit old. If this allows you to get more creative with the enemies (and our mechs?), throw some real oddballs and curveballs our way then, by all means. Give us the frankenmechs!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Stick to the in game mechs because I am a baby driven by aesthetics.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Use the Frankenmech! Embrace the insanity and production value of all of the industrious mod community! I'm SURE there's some of them that looks passable and good.
Or some that's been directly ripped from MWO, I mean, that works too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

How long until someone mods in Gypsy Danger or Cherno Alpha or something?

• Locked thread