Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
My favorite change in the new patch is this:

quote:

Fixed an issue where the mouse sensitivity option could not be set to 59

J/K, the best part is the scope effects. They basically made it harder to quickly out-aim someone with a scope mounted, which is for once both realistic and balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'm going to completely uninstall

Just do this.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MF_James posted:

Since they own all the servers, at least I don't think you can host your own, they can definitely send system-wide messages, it wouldn't be difficult.
The main menu is literally a web page: https://prod-live-front.playbattlegrounds.com/

Any random intern with a basic understanding of HTML could build a "servers are down" message that the game would display in a couple of minutes at most.

This is just one more of those things that they could improve incredibly easily but they can't be bothered to prioritize even the easy fixes.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The decreased ambience sound is a huge improvement

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
https://streamable.com/7nxlj

This is ridiculous and stupid and embarrassing.

For context, and to defend myself: what had happened is, I got the sawn-off, grabbed the ammo, loaded it, but then accidentally picked up a pistol because for a moment I thought my sawn-off was a primary weapon, and when I switched back, I forgot that the guns are always unloaded. So when I went to shoot the dude, my gun went clickity click. I don't know what his deal was.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Optimized vehicle physics when driving under a certain speed

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Is it just me or does rolling a vehicle do way more damage now?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I totally suck at aiming and killing people, so I am the almost the exact opposite of this. Out of the 10 games I've played of this so far, Ive averaged about .25 kills a game, but end up being in the last 15-5 people because I get hide like a bedbug until I'm eventually forced to get out of hiding. :feelsgood:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Yestermoment posted:

I totally suck at aiming and killing people, so I am the almost the exact opposite of this. Out of the 10 games I've played of this so far, Ive averaged about .25 kills a game, but end up being in the last 15-5 people because I get hide like a bedbug until I'm eventually forced to get out of hiding. :feelsgood:

Drop somewhere spicier.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

RIP me 14th place because I jumped out of a speeding vehicle and died, is there a way to bail out without death at high speeds?

did pretty well, setup a trap in a building, had my shotgun + silenced SCAR, killed a guy, left a bunch of loot, snuck up on jerks trying to grab it and shotgunned them in the back, got 3 idiots that way before I had to move.

Turning down my graphics REALLY made a difference, now I can shootmans without lagging like a mofo.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Sawed-off isn't bad.

First time with it, got two kills. From across a street.

Shouldered* it and one-shot each guy.

* Hold right-click (this took me an embarrassingly long-time to realize)

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

MF_James posted:

RIP me 14th place because I jumped out of a speeding vehicle and died, is there a way to bail out without death at high speeds?

did pretty well, setup a trap in a building, had my shotgun + silenced SCAR, killed a guy, left a bunch of loot, snuck up on jerks trying to grab it and shotgunned them in the back, got 3 idiots that way before I had to move.

Turning down my graphics REALLY made a difference, now I can shootmans without lagging like a mofo.

Since you are coming from CS I would think you have the short range stuff down pretty well and don't need to drop hot if you don't want to. You can get a feel for the weapons by shooting a wall like in CS if you need to. It might be more beneficial for you work on the longer range stuff and how to relocate around the maps and just learning the maps.

A thing to note when coming from CS, you will get "interped" a lot more in this game and so when jiggle peeking/peeking you kind of have to predict when you have been peeking long enough. You can't wait till you see them returning fire since you might already be dead according to the server you just haven't gotten the update on your end yet. Of course if you are happy with your peek just stick it out and kill the dude, but if you feel like jiggling behind cover you got to be wary of this.

e: Oh and concerning jumping out at full speed, that's a no. You can however slide the car sideways into a wall stopping the car instantly and then jump out. If you make a sliding stop near nothing watch out you don't get punted by your own car because it's still rotating a little bit.

quote:

New ambient sounds or lack thereof.
I overall like the change in ambient sound but it feels a little quiet. I think they could add some reverb or something to distant gunfire so it kind of lingers more in the air and it would sound cool. Right now it seem like the sounds die to quickly.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 14, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

credburn posted:

https://streamable.com/7nxlj

This is ridiculous and stupid and embarrassing.

This is fantastic and I thank you for it.

Yestermoment posted:

Hiding like a bedbug is fun if you're into playing MGS in PUBG but your odds of winning will drop down sharp if you're just hiding in houses. You can make a smooth transition towards a more aggressive playstyle by moving out and taking cover in mountains. Find a place where you can take cover and patrol around and you should be able to see people ahead of you and take them by surprise and if you die you'll usually learn something really obvious about your positioning that is easy to fix. This is helpful if you have an exceptionally slow reaction time and need time to practice, or if you're anxious about getting into action.

But invariably hotdropping is going to be something you want to do. Keep a note of where you died, why, how and where your enemies were and where they dropped. Each city has its own intricacies but once you learn some of them you can begin to generalize some rules to adapt to new situations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Elentor posted:

Hiding like a bedbug is fun if you're into playing MGS in PUBG but your odds of winning will drop down sharp if you're just hiding in houses.

One strat that can work really well is to keep camping houses at circle center, but pick the ones with rooftop perches. Challenge yourself to go out there and guard your roof in the open. Before you do this you will need a helmet, some armor and an AR (and pref. a sniper rifle with scope).
As people approach, they might spot you before you spot them, but you will usually get ample warning, especially on lower MM tiers, because players will invariably shoot you from too far away and miss wide. As long as you're never standing still, you won't get one-shot. Being on a building then lets you take cover quickly and counterattack by peeking corners and windows. You can also camp on hills or outside a shack, but that's more difficult due to less cover.

The difficulties with this strat are mostly
1. Keeping good lookout (not getting tunnel-vision on the angle where you think players will come from.) Look in each direction for a few seconds, without moving your mouse (move your eyes around the screen instead).
2. Not getting headshot. Keep moving to avoid this. Move randomly, including backwards and forwards. Moving is better protection than crouching behind cover, because crouching makes you slow enough to be hit from a long distance by someone behind you.
3. Hearing where you're getting shot from. Learn to tell what noise is the bullets' sonic crack and which noise is the gun going bang. (The bullet noise will be the first sound you'll hear, and the loudest.) You will need to practice this the hard way, I'm afraid, this vid is a good start. Watch with headphones on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBSBu72qF0s

(Edit: I think this strat is very poor in TPP, because approaching people can stay behind cover but still see you. Do this only in FPP.)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

I was streaming to Facebook and I had an absolutely unbelievable vehicle kill. This guy came flying past me on a motorcycle, I sprayed him with an Uzi and blew up the motorcycle. Is there a way I can download videos on Facebook?? I really want to just edit that one part and post that because it's hilarious.

There's lots of online services that do this, though not sure any are tuned to work with saved live streams.
If you have a recent nVidia card, turn on highlights. It works really well. https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/playerunknowns-battlegrounds-adds-shadowplay-highlights-and-hbao-plus
Unless you went ahead and disabled them, you can also just use ingame replays.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

My character had the "died in a car so the body is in the driving position" thing last night too

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Khablam posted:

Unless you went ahead and disabled them, you can also just use ingame replays.

Once the new patch hit the replay was useless

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Since you are coming from CS I would think you have the short range stuff down pretty well and don't need to drop hot if you don't want to. You can get a feel for the weapons by shooting a wall like in CS if you need to. It might be more beneficial for you work on the longer range stuff and how to relocate around the maps and just learning the maps.

A thing to note when coming from CS, you will get "interped" a lot more in this game and so when jiggle peeking/peeking you kind of have to predict when you have been peeking long enough. You can't wait till you see them returning fire since you might already be dead according to the server you just haven't gotten the update on your end yet. Of course if you are happy with your peek just stick it out and kill the dude, but if you feel like jiggling behind cover you got to be wary of this.

e: Oh and concerning jumping out at full speed, that's a no. You can however slide the car sideways into a wall stopping the car instantly and then jump out. If you make a sliding stop near nothing watch out you don't get punted by your own car because it's still rotating a little bit.

I overall like the change in ambient sound but it feels a little quiet. I think they could add some reverb or something to distant gunfire so it kind of lingers more in the air and it would sound cool. Right now it seem like the sounds die to quickly.

Yeah, I've already noticed the interp in game and on streams, thanks for the info though!

interp is also a thing in CS, so I've dealt with the fun of "WTF I never even saw the guy" and "I was behind cover wtfmate"

MF_James fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 14, 2018

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
The best way I have found to get out of a car at full speed is to use the E-brake to slam the back end into a wall or building. The car will take no damage and neither will you.

Wacky Jacky did a YouTube video on it

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Just MK14'd my way to a chicken dinner but had a very odd moment, I was shooting some guy on a hill and he went prone in the middle of the open:

I dropped 5 shots straight onto his head and he refused to die so I figured something odd was going on, when I went back and checked the replay from his perspective:

there's a massive outcrop blocking line of sight... I wouldn't mind but from his perspective it must look like I'm using ESP because I'm trying to shoot him through scenery

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea I have noticed way more terrain rendering issues lately, especially at longer ranges. You'll take multiple sniper shots in a row and swear you were right on target but never see blood and the person never tries to avoid your shots. It isn't until you watch the replay that you can see why you were actually missing.

I've also had several instances of literally invisible players, usually involving them being prone. Had a few times where a dead teammate was calling out a target for me and yelling that I am staring straight at them but there's nothing on my screen. It wasn't until I was at a LAN and sitting next to someone where I could see the people on their screen but not on my own that I fully believed it was a real thing.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The way the terrain renders in this game is really weird. I was playing a game a week ago where a rock on the side of a cliff wasn’t quite in place and created a gap where you could crawl behind it. From inside that space you were invisible to anyone looking at the cliff. But you could see everything happening outside perfectly due to the lack of textures on the inside of the rocks.

I’ve seen similar issues with random rocks or cars floating slightly above the ground. You’d think that the map would be pre-rendered with all of the static resources in place but it doesn’t seem that way.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
So I'm listening to my buddy's stream from yesterday, they were doing 3 man squads. And ... they got dropped in a 6 man squad in a lobby with >100 people?

Was this intended in the patch?

E: he speaks Japanese and lives in japan, the squad they were put in with were all Japanese too, so the stream just became a loooot more japanese.
If this is a bug I don't want them to fix it, it's beautiful.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 14, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

So I'm listening to my buddy's stream from yesterday, they were doing 3 man squads. And ... they got dropped in a 6 man squad in a lobby with >100 people?

Was this intended in the patch?

E: he speaks Japanese and lives in japan, the squad they were put in with were all Japanese too, so the stream just became a loooot more japanese.
If this is a bug I don't want them to fix it, it's beautiful.

Did they possibly click over to a custom game session someone was running? I'm 99% sure custom sessions can do at least 6 man, maybe 8 man teams, and they might have added support for >100 players at some point too.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

wolrah posted:

Did they possibly click over to a custom game session someone was running? I'm 99% sure custom sessions can do at least 6 man, maybe 8 man teams, and they might have added support for >100 players at some point too.

It's a rare bug from the last patch, there were a few clips from reddit of 130 person games with 6-8 people in squads.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Cinara posted:

It's a rare bug from the last patch, there were a few clips from reddit of 130 person games with 6-8 people in squads.

That's exactly what happened, it was 129 people.
They ended up winning, it was really fun to listen to and watch when poo poo popped off.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

1000 players on the current sized maps, please make it happen bluehole.

E: I play on a poo poo laptop and I have no idea how to see the actual numbers but I would guess I get like 30-40 fps normally. Enough that it's a playable video game. But since last night I have been seeing a slideshow that's maybe 10fps. Right on the edge of unplayable and I don't know why.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 14, 2018

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
https://streamable.com/cg3t9

So, here's an example of what I was talking about earlier. Which was this: on my screen, I am a pretty good shot. However, very often I die and even when I am certain I hit the guy (blood splats and all) I might not have any hit points. This is a video of the death cam from the guy who just killed me; on my side, and in the replay, I hit him with two headshots. In this replay, I guess I do hit him but obviously not a headshot, and he doesn't really hit me at all, yet there is blood appearing where he is shooting and I die. I don't think he's cheating; this is a frequent problem. Like, I hit him, as he took damage, but what was a headshot on my side was a, I don't know, a pinky hit on his. Am I lagging? This is on a North American server. I don't have this issue anywhere else, at least that I've noticed.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Unless you can show us a video(not from replay) of your POV there's only so much we can tell you. The one thing I can say for certain is if you hit them in the head from your POV it is a headshot. Lag will make shots not register if they shot first and killed you on their end, but it won't make them hit in a different location.

From that it looks like you tagged him with a partial shotgun arm shot and then likely a neck shot with the pistol and died before another shot registered.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Cinara posted:

Lag will make shots not register if they shot first and killed you on their end, but it won't make them hit in a different location.

Yeah, but I think what is happening is like, on my end I shoot, but the message to the server that says I did that is taking too long.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cinara posted:

Yea I have noticed way more terrain rendering issues lately, especially at longer ranges. You'll take multiple sniper shots in a row and swear you were right on target but never see blood and the person never tries to avoid your shots. It isn't until you watch the replay that you can see why you were actually missing.

ive seen a bunch of instances where people are floating in the air because the terrain they're on isn't loading for me properly. but hey at least they fixed the problem with buildings not loading and being able to drive through them

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

1000 players on the current sized maps, please make it happen bluehole.

E: I play on a poo poo laptop and I have no idea how to see the actual numbers but I would guess I get like 30-40 fps normally. Enough that it's a playable video game. But since last night I have been seeing a slideshow that's maybe 10fps. Right on the edge of unplayable and I don't know why.

Shift+Tab to bring up the Steam overlay, then click Settings, and the In-Game tab. There will be an FPS counter option in the middle of the left side.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Three squad fpp chicken dinners in a row. FeelsGoodMan

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
somehow a squad game started with 19 people. took a while, but was a p easy dinner. broken game

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I get a pretty solid 60-70 FPS in most situations, but recently I've noticed that drops to about 40 when I'm ADS. I think this is new? Anyone else have this happen?

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I think the new reduction in ambient noise has been working well with my playstyle, because I've had chicken in 2 of my last 8 or so games, which is pretty unusual. That or my mouse sensitivity is helping. I just recently reduced it way down from twitchy and snappy to about 600 DPI -- drag my arm across the drat mousepad constantly -- Quake 3 era sensitivity. It has definitely helped my long range aiming.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Who's driving battlebus?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/238931531

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
So I feel stupid right now....what are you guys talking about with the Ambient sound?