Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol no the systems don't cross-match (even though they could, and should.) Use the name on the passport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The moral of the story is :

DONT loving CHANGE YOUR NAME WHEN YOU GET MARRIED AND NAME CHANGES ARE DUMB.

You can still travel fine but I have been stalled during immigration from time to time because of boarding pass hijinks.

Actually the only country that cares about this poo poo is china with the automated gate scanners. And Australia because Australian immigration sucks.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
If you booked the ticket in the name that's on the passport, you are perfectly fine.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Even if the ticket does not match the passport name, if you call into the airline service desk and plead nicely and show documentation, they can change the name on the ticket for you as a fix sometimes if they are kind. Sometimes they are mean and charge like $50.

Or if you are traveling on a airline from Mainland China they will ignore you forever and pretend you don't exist.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
I mean, I fly in and out of Japan all the time with boarding passes that say basically SMITH / MRJOHNJACOB (except, you know, with my name) because Japanese travel agents can't deal with middle names or even English-language honorifics apparently, and I've never once had an issue.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Your bank is going to panic when your US account includes Jingleheimer but your gaijin card doesn't.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

peanut posted:

Your bank is going to panic when your US account includes Jingleheimer but your gaijin card doesn't.

I had this exact post written almost to the word but needed to take a call before I hit post and you beat me

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Speaking of banks, does anyone have a MUFJ account with their online banking set up? Is it possible to transfer from the MUFJ account to an international banking account through their online banking system?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Exactly how bad is it travelling during golden week? I just realized we had a lot of time off at the beginning of May so I started half-planning a trip in my head but then I also realized that it's during golden week...

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

netcat posted:

Exactly how bad is it travelling during golden week? I just realized we had a lot of time off at the beginning of May so I started half-planning a trip in my head but then I also realized that it's during golden week...

Going to Japan or leaving Japan for elsewhere ?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

LimburgLimbo posted:

Going to Japan or leaving Japan for elsewhere ?

Going to

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

netcat posted:

Going to

It depends on exactly when you go. People seek to maximize their time so it gets busy leaving Tokyo at the start, and returning to Tokyo at the end. So leaving Tokyo 4/28 is going to be pretty crushed on roads and Shinkansen, then the return route on 5/3. Almost any other days, or going the other direction, shooould be okay.

If you’re looking at the start of May you can just start your trip in Tokyo for a few days like people tend to do, then go elsewhere and you really shouldn’t be impacted, and things might even be less crowded than usual because a lot of people who were going to travel already did it the previous week.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

LimburgLimbo posted:

It depends on exactly when you go. People seek to maximize their time so it gets busy leaving Tokyo at the start, and returning to Tokyo at the end. So leaving Tokyo 4/28 is going to be pretty crushed on roads and Shinkansen, then the return route on 5/3. Almost any other days, or going the other direction, shooould be okay.

If you’re looking at the start of May you can just start your trip in Tokyo for a few days like people tend to do, then go elsewhere and you really shouldn’t be impacted, and things might even be less crowded than usual because a lot of people who were going to travel already did it the previous week.

Thanks, that doesn't sound too bad.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

This year's golden week is kinda meh, like two 3 day weekends. People will be off 4/28-30 (maybe just 29-30 lol) and 5/3-6 but schools and businesses will be open as usual between then. So anyone with kids or who works in a restaurant will be near home.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

Speaking of banks, does anyone have a MUFJ account with their online banking set up? Is it possible to transfer from the MUFJ account to an international banking account through their online banking system?

Semi-related but I use Shinsei GoRemit for this. They bought the service from GoLloyds a few years ago. You do a domestic furikomi to their transfer account, so it doesn't matter who your main bank is here in Japan. Then they send the money on to your account overseas. But you can only register one account obviously, so not a good solution if you need to send money to different people/countries/banks overseas.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What the hell is an "electronic certificate" when applying for your My Number card? You have the option of having it or not having it and I'm wondering what it is?

zmcnulty posted:

Semi-related but I use Shinsei GoRemit for this. They bought the service from GoLloyds a few years ago. You do a domestic furikomi to their transfer account, so it doesn't matter who your main bank is here in Japan. Then they send the money on to your account overseas. But you can only register one account obviously, so not a good solution if you need to send money to different people/countries/banks overseas.

I'll check it out, thank you!

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Looks like Shinsei GoRemit is cheaper over about 350,000 yen, but under that TransferWise is a bit cheaper. Like Shinsei GoRemit, it's just a furikomi to their account.

Shinsei GoRemit = flat 2000yen.

Transferwise = 100yen + 0.55%

I used Transferwise a lot last year and never had any delays or issues.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Lol 7-11 now has a transaction fee when pulling money out

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Japanese 7-11s really suck. Between no Slurpees, their store-branded items (especially the pastries - the donuts suck compared to lawson/famima/etc.) lacking in taste compared to every other convenience store, those loving commercials with the Daydream Believer cover, etc., I will only go if I have no choice and only buy something I could get anywhere else.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You have to shop around each combini chain for the best of each item.
7-11 has hot bentos.
Lawson has real fruit.
Mini-stop has the best ice cream.
Family Mart for fried things.
????
profit

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Daily Yamazaki best... selection of Yamazaki Baking products

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Anyone have recommendations for hotels in the Namba area of Osaka? Looking to spend between 80-120 for 2 nights

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Navaash posted:

Japanese 7-11s really suck. Between no Slurpees, their store-branded items (especially the pastries - the donuts suck compared to lawson/famima/etc.) lacking in taste compared to every other convenience store, those loving commercials with the Daydream Believer cover, etc., I will only go if I have no choice and only buy something I could get anywhere else.

Conbini doughnuts in general are just a round circle of disappointment. I'll never forget the first time my son asked for one, took a bite, got a horrified look on his face, and asked to go to Mr. Donut.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Phone posted:

Lol 7-11 now has a transaction fee when pulling money out

Oh whoops, looks like the atms are just telling you what the transaction fee on your card is. The incremental march of progress is real.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Holy poo poo really?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, it doesn't really specify who's doing the charging, though. Considering that it happened at both the post office and 7-11 with extremely similar language and checking against my bank account, it's what's happening.

I technically can double check it using my girlfriend's Wells Fargo account, but lol @ a $5 withdrawal fee (and a $3ish balance check fee lmbo).

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I'm arriving Sunday with my Schwab Bank (no ATM fee, no international fee, refunds all third-party ATM fees) card and will investigate.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Hey! Going to Japan and Taiwan this fall and it’ll be my first time in Asia. Still determining my itinerary, but I have these questions in the back of my head. Any assistance would be much obliged.

- I’m starting to envision lugging my suitcase up and down subway stations and finding a spot on the bullet train to store it, but also shipping my suitcase from place to place over such a short period of time always a day behind me also sounds like a hassle, but maybe it works out great? The other option is to just take a small suitcase or duffel bag and my backpack with me instead? Which do you think is more ideal? If it is the latter, will it be easy to find places that will do laundry for me?

- With such a limited amount of time in Japan (12 full days), I’m making cuts, and I’m thinking about skipping Nara completely. My reasoning is I will be spending a night on Miyajima Island so I will see deer, and with 3+ weeks between Japan and Taiwan, I feel like I won’t be hard-up on looking at gardens, shrines or temples. But it seems to be on every drat recommended itinerary, so I’m worried I’m missing something?

- I arrive on October 21st, and was going to spend a few days in Tokyo first, and just learned about Jidai Matsuri on the 22nd. Wondering if I should hightail it to Kyoto to experience it, or if I will just be standing in a massive crowd looking confused? (Also heard about the Kurama Fire Festival, but I feel like that would be too much.)

- Any recommendations for places in the touristy regions to see traditional music being played? There’s a Japanese woman in Ottawa who sometimes plays a Shamisen or Taiko drum on the street and it always blows me away.

- I’m already confused and feeling dumb reading my travel guide. If I’m at a bar or restaurant as a single person, should I not be having sake or beer at all since I need someone to pour for me?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Pack extremely light so that you have everything in a backpacking pack and bring a day pack.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

kuddles posted:

- I’m already confused and feeling dumb reading my travel guide. If I’m at a bar or restaurant as a single person, should I not be having sake or beer at all since I need someone to pour for me?

Lol

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Oh, I missed that. Luckily, there are many restaurants in Japan where there are companions who will pour your drinks for you.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Beer comes in mugs, dear. They don't roll a keg at you.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Over-templing/over-shrining is a real thing, just like over-castling/over-cathedraling in trips to Europe. They all start to look the same after the first 3 or 4. That said I wouldn't skip Nara just to spend a night on Miyajima. You can do Miyajima in half a day if all you want to see is the shrine and the deer. Todaiji is a Buddhist temple and Miyajima is a Shinto shrine. So they feel different enough that it's worth going to both if possible.

I've never been to the Jidai Matsuri but judging by the pics, it looks more like a parade than a matsuri?? Don't think I'd skip Tokyo for that, especially since you'll have plenty of traditional stuff on your itinerary anyway.

peanut posted:

"Nama" beer typically comes in mugs, dear. They don't roll a keg at you.

ftfy. Plenty of bottled beer and sake on the scene too.
I suppose it's a valid concern, the guide probably said something like "when dining out with others, it's custom to pour beer and sake for them first" and he/she glossed over the with others part.
If you're alone, yeah, it's perfectly fine to pour whatever you want for yourself.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 21, 2018

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The Jidai Matsuri is basically a parade. Here is a lovely picture I took a long time ago before I had a decent camera.

What was legit cooler than that was the fire festival that happens on the same night in Kurama (be warning packed trains holy loving poo poo).

I guess Ill say that the Jidai Matsuri alone isnt worth it but the fire festival was pretty neat. Also

警察員:立ち止まらず前に進んで下さい
3 seconds later
立ち止まらず進んで下さい
*repeat for 2 hours*

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

zmcnulty posted:

Over-templing/over-shrining is a real thing, just like over-castling/over-cathedraling in trips to Europe. They all start to look the same after the first 3 or 4. That said I wouldn't skip Nara just to spend a night on Miyajima. You can do Miyajima in half a day if all you want to see is the shrine and the deer. Todaiji is a Buddhist temple and Miyajima is a Shinto shrine. So they feel different enough that it's worth going to both if possible.

I've never been to the Jidai Matsuri but judging by the pics, it looks more like a parade than a matsuri?? Don't think I'd skip Tokyo for that, especially since you'll have plenty of traditional stuff on your itinerary anyway.
Sorry, since my post was already indulgent I tried to shorten it and perhaps didn't make things clear.

I would not skip Tokyo. I would do it at the end of my trip rather than the beginning if it was worth it to immediately go to Kyoto for the parade.

Additionally, I meant I'm going to Miyajima anyways so I would see deer, and at all the other potential stops or day trips (Hakone, Kamakura, Kyoto, Mount Koya, etc. not to mention the week in Taiwan following all this), I'm wondering if I would find Nara beautiful but redundant compared to something else I could be doing that isn't just looking at another shrine or temple. But I didn't know if there was something else that made it special since it's mentioned as a "must visit".

I thought the beer question might be silly, but yes, a lot of places seemed to frame it as "pouring your own booze is seen as offensive in Japan!" and was slightly concerned.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 22, 2018

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
IIRC when I was looking on TV randomly there was once some drama a couple of years back that involved some guy turning into a deer and saving the world, and I don't think that any other drama has been made about a guy turning into a deer and saving the world especially not Miyajima so I guess that Nara Park isn't redundant.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
For city travel I prefer a carry-on suitcase plus a personal bag that can rest on top of it vs. a large backpack. Less worry about hitting people with it, fits more neatly into overhead bins on trains. Any luggage too big to carry on is too big to bring with you. Laundry -- check the hotels, most have some sort.

Re: Nara: you have less than two weeks. You can't see all the "must-sees" in the country. Spend your time on the parts that excite you.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Don't bring luggage, just a carry-on backpack. Laundromats are common and lots of hotels also have their own laundry machines.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yep or just buy new clothes like uniqlo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

caberham posted:

Yep or just buy new clothes like uniqlo