Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Can we build our own flying assault troop transports later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Dong Quixote posted:

my man i was not joking about the cloud of probes. If the type 5 isn't gonna come hang out, then we need to kick in the dimensional front door with our murder RC flyers in to get it.

edit: and maybe draw a dick with a laser on the ground or something, assuming they have a ground there.

this is hypothetically completely possible and my one friend back in the day claimed to do this all the time but I have my doubts irt its workability and risk vs reward. The alien dimension is loving insane. If we ever were in a position to get one of the missing un-downed UFOs directly from the alien dimension we should probably take it, because there's no guarantee (afik) they'll turn around and start sending them later on.

4 days remain until we can begin construction of any ship.

McGiggins posted:

Can we build our own flying assault troop transports later?

absolutely. We currently have the equivalent of UFO1&2 (alien scout = xcom probe), and UFO3 (alien transport = xcom biotransport).

The probe lacks the ability to move guys into the alien dimension, unlike the alien scouts. The biotrans can surpass any crewed alien ship that we've seen so far, assuming you count only the crew and not the guys that drop. I think the dropped guys count as cargo and will die if you crash the UFO before they deploy, but i'm not completely sure.

If we equip the biotrans right we could fit literally all our agents into it at once. If we went for max capacity I think we would be able to fit something like 36 agents into one of those ships.

Neither ship we have researched is anywhere near "assault" level in the air. We won't have the full suite of alien equivalents either, because of ~reasons~ that should make sense later, but all xcom ships are much more flexible and can fit a variety of weapons. We'll get ships that have a more combat based function if we research the necessary weapons and UFOs. The apex level of this should be able to go toe to toe with the strongest alien and survive, but i think the cost would probably add up to more than what we've spent all game so far. Depends.

Still, strictly speaking, we have everything researched that's needed to start beating the game, although our weak air stance would make it tricky. It's a completely workable strategy to base everything around hardcore commando style raids vs airpower, and we've be basically been settled into doing that already.

I think we missed our chance to snag a type 5 for now, and possibly they've moved to sending only type 6/7s for the next while. They might already have decided to send a more powerful tier. Not sure and don't remember how the numbers correlate to what they look like. We've seen the pancake style and the green omelet style UFOs and failed to get either one any time they've shown. We might have been able to catch a single pancake that came out of the gate by itself but I hosed up the orders on the one interception. Wouldn't have been guaranteed but I think we should have been able to do it.

I think there's probably two or four more tiers of alien UFOs they're gonna send, and each tier is a major level of power beyond the prior tier. IMO we're a few cycles behind the aliens, not just one or two. We haven't been able to shoot down even one UFO for like 3 drat weeks or some poo poo. Eventually the aliens can get so fuckin pissed that they just start blowing up the fuckin city, but we've been lucky enough to avoid anything like that.

Anyway we need to do some housekeeping in the bases and adjust training orders, then we'll start knocking on doors. I think we're going to start leading off with a few firebombs whenever we have a mission in hostile territory, cause gently caress it, why not?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
alright, investigate temple of visitors, it's a cult property right near some sensovison zones.
No aliens.

So we'll investigate temple of the apocalypse
No aliens.

Ok, next temple is directly adjacent to where one of the drops were, this is temple of the millenium next door to the spaceport.

There are aliens here. Ness picks up INSANE levels of readings, there are a shitload of enemies. Sending only 12 agents was an obvious mistake.

Peep spots a horde of cultists and goes to torch them, but completely botches the throw and only fails to set us on fire by virtue of floating. The readings indicate something's in the basement.

We end up just setting the whole goddamn building on fire, but peep gets all shielding stripped by a hail of missiles. A bunch of worms and brainsuckers climb out of the basement too it's disgusting.

I got the bots going through the basement. Some aliens try to escape but we're able to gently caress them up a little. Tits keeps Alan from getting eaten by a snake. Also snipes a brainsucker. Alan takes out two more. Good fuckin thing he can't get brainsucked, because they hatched right on his rear end. By this time all remaining enemies are on fire and panicking, so it's an easy mop up:

By using a lot of fire we were able to pin most of the enemies in positions where they couldn't hit us but we were able to hit them. Also using bots to shield organics saved us from any brainsucking.

Only aliens were a blue, pair of snakes, chrysalis, and a shitload of brainsuckers. We got a large amount of valuable plasma ammo, and some handfuls of every other kinda gun & ammo. Mostly autocannons.

I have a strong suspicion that the next mission will be at an actual TV station, so if it is i'll run it play by play.

I let some hours go by. There's no decrease in infiltration. In fact, it appears to be worse.

Medium disruptor is at 43%. Cloaking thing is at 3%. I let a couple more hours pass:

pre:
   The Cult: 17% (-2)
Sensovision: 16% (+5)
   Lifetree:  5% (+5)
  Nutrivend:  3% (-2)
    Energen:  0% (0)
Alright, that's all I need to know. The aliens are in both the tv station and the hospital we blew up early in the game. I'll do those missions a little later.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Hell yes let's blow up another hospital.

xsuperkidx
Sep 21, 2000

Bread Liar

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Medium beam then stealth doodad.

Lets get some raids/investigations on the cult and sensovision?

edit:: staying back at base has made me too slow

xsuperkidx fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 15, 2018

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Love this LP - and I really appreciate the music links/suggestions you're posting with most missions, they're great for getting to know cool bands I never heard before!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

SavageGentleman posted:

Love this LP - and I really appreciate the music links/suggestions you're posting with most missions, they're great for getting to know cool bands I never heard before!

Yeah, this is the first LP I've followed in years. I think my last one was General Ironicus's MGS3 LP.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
time to get medical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmFdxSedhNU

actually wait. This doesn't add up. The owners of these buildings near the last few missions are not the infected guys. Sanctuary Clinic is medical, but it's Lifetree that is creeping up. That means it's more likely to be Babylon apartments again / a school. Sensovision has buildings next door to all of our last three missions.

This is a lot less clear than if it had been the clinic and sensovision getting infected. I'm gonna go ahead and run a mission at Babylon once more, just because the last two drops were the spaceport and the farm. We did both of those, and we did a building next door to the spaceport, so we should also do one next to the farm, right?

Also it sucks balls not being able to transfer poo poo between bases. It's super loving terrible to be honest.

My second guess was right, they're in the apartments, so probably not in the tv station. We'll still need to figure out what fuckin school they're in.

This time it's a smaller map, so hopeflully there's less aliens. I think it may be similar to last mission, based on the alien stomps I can hear in the background.

Peep makes contact, it's 4 snakes and a yellow. I have Giggs shoot one, the rest take cover. Peep kills the yellow and the other three snakes. Savage goes to flank and it turns out I was wrong about the map size, it's bigger than expected.

Prince catches up to a cloaked blue, but can't mind control or land a hit. It's right in a pack of fuckin civilians too. The fucker escapes. Maybe. Prince tracks a similar one down to a bedroom but cannot land a hit on the bastard. Alan uses the disruptor to blow a hole in the wall and then takes it out.

Some time goes by, no big changes. The rest of the day passes.

pre:
   The Cult: 14% (-3)
Sensovision: 14% (-2)
   Lifetree:  3% (-2)
  Nutrivend:  1% (-2)
     Evonet:  1% (+1)
     Osiron:  1% (+1)
Seems stable enough. Gonna let it slide for now. Only 3 Days left till the first big workshop comes online. I do some calculations and we won't need to build any more living quarters.

We're getting closer to some reseach completion, the disruptor totally needs the big lab because it's going slow as poo poo--
https://i.imgur.com/lFYxgkN.gifv

Not much we can do. We can't compete, we're not even fully repaired from last time. I try to goad that last UFO into a fight but it doesn't work. Drops were:
Osiron: Allied, Slum
Nanotech: Unfriendly, Corporate HQ

drat it, if we blow this nanotech mission they'll also go hostile and we'll lose the ability to buy medkits.

Who do we investigate first?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Nanotech first. It seems like the more important mission, so we should have our A Team go there.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

VikingofRock posted:

Nanotech first. It seems like the more important mission, so we should have our A Team go there.

Get murdock on it, he always get's them out of a bind.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
another thing is whatever one we hit first may have more aliens. They tend to spread out from the drop point pretty quick, although some usually stay behind. Even if we go back to back instantly the amount of time difference from taking a car vs taking a plane will mean the lineup of enemies will be somewhat different.

I can tell you right now if we end up repeating our last mission in nanotech or pulling a transtellar in that building they will 100% go hostile, so before that mission i'm going to buy as many medkits as possible, just in case. In both those missions the damage came from us forcing the aliens to blow themselves up. Even accidentally it still counts to make the owner pissed.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Sounds like they maybe should have bought ALIEN INSURANCE???

Those explosions are so not our fault, you guys. Most of them, anyway.

Unrelated, but we should probably not bring any firebombs unless were performing a raid, like on a cult.

Also I wanted to throw down my big meaty Physicist vote on research options earlier but it seems like you jocks/plebs had it handled. Nice job team!

(:ghost:Like, can you guys even see me right now? Man, this cloaking device is the bees tits!:ghost:)

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
So how are the squads arranged? Is there a robbit in each to take point and die fight valiantly for the glory of his betters processor line?

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

McGiggins posted:

So how are the squads arranged? Is there a robbit in each to take point and die fight valiantly for the glory of his betters processor line?

We like to think of it as "taking a few brainsuckers for the meatbags, those guys are okay. mostly. they do remember when we put ultra-zone and new rims in our budget." Plus you fleshies can't lift cars, so, we got that going for us.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

A friend of mine linked me back to this thread; I eventually did get in but I think I’m dead now? poo poo, good times!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

McGiggins posted:

usually i'll do at least one bot, then have one or two regular blaster guys, then a psi, high powered / specialized gear. Sometimes all the flight crew gets their own squad, but usually i'll start them off mixed in with everyone else and they'll reform as it goes.

Markoff Chaney posted:

We like to think of it as "taking a few brainsuckers for the meatbags, those guys are okay. mostly. they do remember when we put ultra-zone and new rims in our budget." Plus you fleshies can't lift cars, so, we got that going for us.

brainsuckers mostly just ignore androids and seem completely confused when they run into them. It's pretty important to have robots just for that, but also they tend to be strong enough and fast enough to pick up heavy poo poo and lug it effectively, even first day out.

Waffle House posted:

A friend of mine linked me back to this thread; I eventually did get in but I think I’m dead now? poo poo, good times!

sorry, rep. It was a tough mission. Wrong place wrong time.

update will be a little later still

E: oh yeah before I forget, I usually keep everyone who's not completely helplessly weak with one of each grenade. it's easier than micromanaging equipment. They all have their uses and really the fire grenade is best to manage where enemies are willing to walk, or loving up crawling guys. Our intensely loyal and / intensely drunk agents have no problems strolling through. Armor provides some protection.

Imo fire doesn't do that much financial damage unless you're throwing them all over the place from turn one and it spreads into something that can blow up, or like a valuable weed or something. I honestly do not think it can melt steel beams in this game

The weakest guys usually get a light gun, shield, toxin, no reserve ammo, no medkit, one smoke grenade. Prob one psi amp or other special gear. There's guys who I'm considering dumping armor, they're so drat slow

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 16, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I wanted to pound out these missions and keep moving but I dunno if i'll have enough time to do it today or not. Too far behind schedule in everything

So nanotech is up. Could be a rough mission. There are actually no more medkits on the market so we'll have to be careful not to lose the ones we have now.

Mission is very similar to the last HQ we did, the bigass one where it's one huge building.
Right off the bat a popper comes out. Superkid nails it without having it blow up. Savage spots a spitter but backs off, we don't need to go around blowing up expensive glass panels all day. Protag spots a bunch of eggs and disregards them, they're in an out of the way place. Sick gets quite a few hits, there will be more poppers or brainsuckers soon. After looking, seems like those eggs are in our way to the side entrance so we do a couple aimed shots. Should have brought a sniper.

My interpretation of the scans was right, another popper comes up and Alan kills it on the exact same spot the first one died. Peep finds a cloaked yellow way in the other side of the building. It can't do anything to us as long as it doesn't decide to blow a hole in the wall, so we should be ok. I have Savage apply sleepy time brainwaves and we fade out. Alan & Grem are able to take out some brainsuckers and they'll hold the door while everyone else catches up.

Meanwhile peep spots a herd of blues. Not enough TUs. They're all cloaked and tbh this would be one good time to crack the glass and huck stun gas. Gotta back off instead.

Seemingly all the yellows, 4 at least, come at our combined squad of Superkid, Walrus, Grem, and Smithee. Walrus takes out two without hesitation. Superkid & Alan take out the others. I send Grem to check for brainsucker pods and he takes out a cloaked fifth. I gamble that Nanotech won't be too mad about one single cracked window and have Peep throw down stun gas. We manage to catch all five blues in the cloud. I have Savage do a little recon and there's only a spitter. Better move to help out Peep.

The gas doesn't really work, and those blues break a bunch of windows but not much else. Savage applies more mindwaves, then guns down two blues. There are still more (so like... six total?) but they're cloaked. Peep is able to take out one. The other does a lot of property damage. Meanwhile a horde of brainsuckers come out and our bots scrub them no problem. Peep takes out the one cloaked blue and one who woke up.

I think this should probably be it except there's at least a spitter. A lot fewer hits on Sick's scanner.

Nope a fuckin worm comes out. We rip it up with hot disruptors and kill all the snakes as well. The spitter's upstairs. It panics, I think this poo poo is probably over. Savage takes it out, I was wrong. Grem finds another panicked one, but there's still something else. Probably a fuckin worm.

Nope I waste a ton of time checking bathrooms. It was a blue that woke back up. It panicked and couldn't do anything while paralyzed with fear. Peep shot it.

Nanotech did not get enraged, so unless they send an angry letter we should be alright.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I am proudly the worst guy on the team.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
This next mission is probably going to be super lovely because it's a fuckin slum, again, and there's probably going to be 18 buildings we have to crawl thru. I just send the same guys back out cause gently caress it.

Yep, it's a big rear end parking castle thing, and a hosed up tree garden. No smooth and easy bottleknecks to funnel these guys through. Peep scouts out the forest and shoots at a spitter, but it's no good. Rest of the squad moves to assist.

Two hander sees a popper and completely blows the shot, that could have done a lot of good right off the bat. Superkid throws a frag and it takes out two poppers and the spitter. Or, at least there were two explosions.

Some blues show up and shoot brainsuckers at us, but we're able to take them out and even kill a blue. Grem spots some bullshit eggs up there too. Him and Savage tag team the visible blues and some brainsuckers. Then they do the same thing with some yellows. Problem is Savage runs out of toxin and is pretty badly exposed.

poo poo goes nuts, brainsuckers flying everywhere, aliens panicking and puking. Savage gets hit like 15 times but somehow survives the shield break. Then the yellow runs and I can't find it, the cloak is too good.

Protag and Walrus kill a worm, McGiggins goes to alleyoop a grenade and blows it. Single takes out two spitters at once. We need to kill at least the two snakes and find that loving yellow.

Savage finds it. Brainwaves seem like the best option because there's no aiming, only braining. Doesn't work at all. really regretting not bringing anything that had homing. It freaks out and makes a break for the exit. Grem is able to chase it down, and we take out the worms.

Significantly fewer enemies this time. They probably have already spread out into the city.
Yep. An hour later there's an alert. I don't have time to do it rn, unfortunately.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

McGiggins posted:

I am proudly the worst guy on the team.

nah I had Protag escort you to the eggs so you could kill them, like how a cat teaches it's kittens to murder.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Yay! Teamwork eggicide! :yayclod:

Also, googling allyoop and it appears to be something where you throw something to/at a teammate? Dangerous play with a grenade, so i obviously approve.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah but instead of it going up over the wall into the aliens it bounces back and blows the entire wall to shreds
and instead of the court it's a street completely covered in fire because somebody with an autocannon can't aim so hot
and then the aliens come out of that hole because it's a new convenient opening that avoids the flames and they're biting your team mates in the rear end

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
we're running out of storage space at the main base, and can't do transfers because transtellar hates us.

do we want to sell off some of our insane stock of high tech alien gear? I don't think it's currently available to other orgs, but if we sell it it may get out to our enemies. Not 100%.

Alternately I could try to have some agents carry it over, or try something goofy like sell it to ourselves and see if that works.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Selling at Base A and buying at Base B should work. That might break the seal when it comes to weekly price changes and equipment finding its way into other orgs, but I'm still in favor of selling all our surplus anyway to buy a fleet. It'll be a long time before we can just build one that's combat-worthy, especially if we have to go with a probe swarm. And in the meantime we might miss a chance at a UFO 5.

Hiring scientists and engineers could be a problem because they can't be loaded into vehicles like agents, but I think they magically find their way to the base if you fast forward.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Let's sell our excess stuff, but not anything that would pose too much of a threat on the field. So don't sell shields, disruptors, cloaking devices, etc.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

HBar posted:

Selling at Base A and buying at Base B should work. That might break the seal when it comes to weekly price changes and equipment finding its way into other orgs, but I'm still in favor of selling all our surplus anyway to buy a fleet. It'll be a long time before we can just build one that's combat-worthy, especially if we have to go with a probe swarm. And in the meantime we might miss a chance at a UFO 5.

Hiring scientists and engineers could be a problem because they can't be loaded into vehicles like agents, but I think they magically find their way to the base if you fast forward.

Pretty sure if you transfer personnel instead of materials then they either walk or take a taxi, but I haven't tried it since transtellar went red. Nerds may be too scared to walk themselves? If they take a car it would maybe be metro not transtellar? Usually when you hire anyone they come via regular non-flying car.

Also pretty sure we missed 5 and they're sending 6s & 7s, but not certain

Kinda don't want to buy more interceptors, but we could always sell them back if they get obsolete. I'm not worried about UFOs unless they start attacking or doing some crazy poo poo, but these missions are pretty tedious and blowing them outta the sky before they drop would make things a bit faster and easier.

We'd probably need to do like 5 vs 1 to take out a UFO now, and even with upgraded engines we're very slow. We get hit once and have to abort because 2-3 hits will kill.

VikingofRock posted:

Let's sell our excess stuff, but not anything that would pose too much of a threat on the field. So don't sell shields, disruptors, cloaking devices, etc.

Shields and disruptor cannons are basically all we got to sell. We have drat near 200 extra disruptor cannons laying around. I wouldn't sell shields anyway but we have almost 30 extra. Human enemies with shields would suck poo poo and we break one every couple of missions anyway so I'll keep them unless poo poo hits the fan and we need every cent.

So if nutrivend got cannons it would be lovely, but aliens got cannons and we're rolling them pretty easy as it is right now.

We can't sell cloaks because they're not finished researching, and gently caress "selling" "artifacts" for $0.

I'm not certain how other orgs get alien tech anyway. Psyke used alien grenades against us and we still don't know how they work.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 17, 2018

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Ah, understood. In that case let's sell the disruptors.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

If you raid transtellar into the ground will they grovel and go neutral for 10k like Psyke did?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
no idea. let's look at the numbers (I don't even know if the numbers have an effect)

Psyke has an income of $32,000, but is currently in the hole for 13 grand. It's possible that we brought them down low enough for them to think twice, but they also did some fighting with the cops as well.

Nutrivend has an income of $1,422,330 and a balance of $5,650,871. They came two or three times wanting $50k to end hostilities. This may have been because of their personality, or who knows?

Transtellar has an income of $290,175 and a balance of $1,273,210. I'm not sure what actual loot we would be able to recover from them. Possibly elerium or fuel?? Don't particularly think they'd have valuable contraband like the cult sometimes does. Here's their Wikipedia page:

Transtellar also never gave a warning that they would go hostile. They were unfriendly and then we accidentally vaporized a luggage and they went hard into hostile. Their wiki seems to imply that moving scientists around will be a huge pain in the rear end, so I tested it:

This is absolute bullshit because I can literally see the loving people tubes and there's no excuse, the tubes are not broken. In fact:
https://i.imgur.com/Dh0rfOl.gifv
So this means we are gonna have a lot of irritations unless transtellar pulls the stick out their rear end. I have nnnotime bring some extra equipment back so it's not a wasted hike. The nerds are absolutely stranded wherever they are right now and there's nothing we can do about it unless we pay out the rear end to fire them all and rehire them.

It'd cost us $12,000 to make transtellar go from hostile to unfriendly. Ideally they'd come to us and it'd end up costing less overall to go back to neutral.

Selling the devastator cannons would get us +$477,000. That's like 3-4 weeks of pay, but it's a one shot thing, you know. It would not have a hugely appreciable impact on the amount of storage we have at Enfield either. Only like 20% of max, but that's still a good amount of space. We can build more storage if we want but it'll take a couple days. I'll prob end up selling them.

Also I was wrong, this is barely over 100 cannons, not 200. Dunno what I was thinking.

So I guess the bottom line is if you guys want to raid anyone or diplomatically resolve this (or do anything with any other org, whatever), get some votes together and I'll do it. Otherwise i'll be basically passive about it and if it seems like there's a good way to solve it i'll do it when it comes up.

If you wanna raid somebody, post.
If you wanna make "charitable donations," post.
If you don't wanna do poo poo, post I guess?

Gonna make a pot of coffee and gently caress around some, then probably do a real update.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I'm all for being aggressive to get our demands (usually), but if $12K is all it takes to lift Transtellar's travel-ban then I say do it, since that would remove a big hassle from our base management and puts our strategic operations back on track. This travel ban slows down seriously our tempo and initiative.

Plus lifting the Transtellar ban would help keep me from getting vaporized by a random hostile vehicle while on mule-duty in the people-tunnels :)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Right so we build some poo poo. An interceptor is repaired. Infiltration is getting bad, but before I can decide to do anything an alert comes up. Babylon again.

Squads will be:
McGiggins, Peep, Taint, Salsa
2Hander, Sick, HBar, Tits
Cobra, Reality, Prince, Cantor

I swapped 2 hander to a light launcher because we ran out of ammo and I didn't feel like buying more.

Penguin picks up on some strong sigs. Some snakes come at 2 Hander but they're taken out by Sick. 2 Hander takes out two more that were around the corner.

Penguin then spots a blue but can't land any hits. Taint pulls off a mind control. It's got a shield, couple grenades, and a jizz blaster. I have it just throw all that poo poo on the ground and walk towards us. However there's a ton of other blues in this same apartment, it's right next to the exit too. So instead I leave all the poo poo on the ground and have it pull a three stooges running around kinda thing. The blues in the apartment sorta just shoot and only hit themselves.

The aliens for some reason do not effectively kill their bro, but the do hit it with some jizz attacks. McGiggins takes it out. Peep floats through a hole in the wall and tosses gas. I should really stop wasting this stuff but I like using it. Too bad it's not as effective as it used to be.

Well. A couple pass out. The last one runs outside and throws 4 loving grenades before anyone can shoot it. We get a number of critical wounds but the mission is immediately ended. McGiggins & Cantorsdust Jr. Will be out for a little wile.

nnnotime posted:

I'm all for being aggressive to get our demands (usually), but if $12K is all it takes to lift Transtellar's travel-ban then I say do it, since that would remove a big hassle from our base management and puts our strategic operations back on track. This travel ban slows down seriously our tempo and initiative.

Plus lifting the Transtellar ban would help keep me from getting vaporized by a random hostile vehicle while on mule-duty in the people-tunnels :)

I honestly don't think it's possible for agents to get tracked on foot. I mean, it sucks balls and is slow as poo poo, but I don't think they'd know you're there and would probably only be able to kill anyone like that by accident.

You can absolutely die in a lovely way like that tho.

ALIEN INFLUENCE IS CORRUPTING OUR PRECIOUS CITY

pre:
    Megapol: 16% (+16)
Sensovision: 16% (+2)
   The Cult:  9% (+9)
Transtellar:  3% (+3)
If you wanna do something about this speak up, otherwise i'll let it slide unless it gets bad.

nice. this is a good weapon, although i don't think we can even use it unless it can somehow be jammed into a fuckin hawk air.

Pick some choices for physics research:
  1. Advanced Security Station: A security station using alien disruptor technology
  2. Alien Artifact: An intelligent alien proximity mine
  3. Alien Artifact (1%): A powerful alien grenade
  4. Alien Artifact (19%): An alien device which limits detection
  5. Small Disruption Shield: An alien energy shield for craft. (needs big lab) (we'd have to pay off Transtellar or sell it then buy it back)
+If you got opinions on what to build or do speak up
If you wanna investigate, raid, or do diplomatic stuff, write it in

same as before, vote for as many as you want, I add them up, top slot gets big lab, second place gets small lab. Don't gotta be in physics to vote.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 18, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
#5 is in Enfield and has to be researched at Lauroon.

actually thinking about it we can in fact sell #5 to ourselves if we don't want to pay off Transtellar. Dunno if this means randos will start getting shielded craft, but what you gonna do? Some dude from craigslist with a van is not the same as a professional shipping company. #5 would give us some survivability even if we don't have sweet new space ships

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 18, 2018

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I like researching #5) shield and 4) limit detection device.

Fine to investigate Megapol anytime convenient. Also want to pay off Transtellar if we can afford it.

More mule-duty for me if my servos can handle it.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Research stealth, pay off the travel Nazis, make nice with the poor veggiefolk who seem to really not want to be at war with the private army running around the city.

Investigate the most popular choice (vote for popularity)

Sell off everything that isn't shields (at all) and weapons we don't have a use for beyond a useful stash of backups. Duders having that stuff fighting against us later is just a stuff-back guarantee, AND we get to kill someone.

Can we sell aliens to brothels or something? Do contained aliens multiply while in our storage? Brainsuckers and hyper worms have got to be repurposable.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
well I've been shoving tons of aliens in the dumpster after every mission. You can't sell the corpses. I wanna say maybe they do continue the lifecycle in containment, but because we have no new ones I just torch 'em all every time. One or two missions is enough to completely fill alien containment these days.

The farming cartel wants $54,000 to just bump up from hostile to unfriendly.

I sold the cannons and we do have a shitload of money now, ~$484k. Everyone has a toxin gun as a sidearm (but no extra clips, unless they main it, not worth lugging around).

I sorta wish you could get a breakdown of what the gently caress you actually have in storage, because we have some huge amount of something taking up space. Last mission took us over 100% and we had poo poo laying around in the hallways until I sold all those guns. I know we got fuel, a handful of vehicle modules, and??? A missile? little bit of elerium for the plasma cannons? Bullets? Might be some weird artifacts. We keep looting smoke grenades faster than we use them, I guess I could sell a lot of those. I suppose I should go through every tab and item and sell everything we're not currently using. Prob adds up.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Can we just start using more smoke grenades?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I mean yeah, but it's kind of situational:

They can put out fires
Knock out civilians
Obscure line of sight
Displace stun gas

and that's pretty much it. Last mission if I had thrown smoke that blue might not have went HAM with granades, if it didn't see us. Fucker suicide bombed himself pretty intensely. Smoke cuts down visibility from like 25+ tiles to maybe 5.

e: earlier in the game I had most dudes with 2 of each type of grenade, but generally the more crap you bring the slower you move so I pared it down. There's still a few guys who need to strip down even more, I just hand them off their gun + 1 smoke just in case. HBar also only carries a smoke cause he has a huge fuckin missile. Everyone who doesn't have a bigger 2 handed weapon will also have a backup plasma pistol in case of humans.

We could theoretically get away with significantly fewer guys per mission, maybe even half, because in most cases only around half the squad sees action, but I don't like having some kind of reserve team to at least help sweep. Having more guys also means all the guys could be lighter weight because they could just toss extra ammo or whatever to the one who's nearer the action. Not super effective, but worth it in some cases. We all still suck at aim and tend to either ace miracle shots/throws or blow the deal insanely bad.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 18, 2018

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Pay transtellar to stop being dicks so we can research the shield, then investigate megapol because they're our allies and having brainsucked cops running around the place sounds bad.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Pay transtellar to stop being dicks so we can research the shield, then investigate megapol because they're our allies and having brainsucked cops running around the place sounds bad.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

This

• Locked thread