Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ccs posted:

The guys from Rifftrax already did a Let's Read of Ready Player One. It's astonishing that this book got good reviews from mainstream critics considering how bad it is.
What I find astonishing is that Armada got a much worse reception despite it being essentially the same thing as RPO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
The fact the main plot is literally "The Last Starfighter but with more 80s References" definitely didn't help.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Armada is an entirely new level of bad. Even if you don't enjoy RP0, you can see the little ways it could be turned around and made more interesting, as many have posted here. Armada got nothing. It's completely devoid of anything resembling charm, and the fact that it takes place in a modern, normal Earth makes the nerd adoration even more excessive.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Arcsquad12 posted:

My hot take is put that dumb gently caress botl on ignore and get on with your lives happily ignorant of his ignorance

I don't think he's a dumb gently caress, quite the opposite. Just completely out of place

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What I find astonishing is that Armada got a much worse reception despite it being essentially the same thing as RPO.

Partly, I think it got a worse reception because it was essentially the same thing as RPO.
When I first read RPO, I kinda liked it. It was trash, but sometimes I like trash, and it was fun playing reference bingo. The whole egg-hunt thing was a mildly interesting frame to support the juvenile power fantasy of "What if this worthless knowledge I have was somehow the key to saving the world?"

Armada was exactly the same thing again, but without the thin veneer of justification for the reference-laden power fantasy, and with even more obvious creepy misogyny.
And while I sometimes like trash, I don't generally eat the same trash twice. :shrug:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Aech’s identity

By far the biggest flight of fantasy in RPO is that the Aech reveal happens and Parzifal doesn't get gross, weird, or racist about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The_White_Crane posted:

Partly, I think it got a worse reception because it was essentially the same thing as RPO.
When I first read RPO, I kinda liked it. It was trash, but sometimes I like trash, and it was fun playing reference bingo. The whole egg-hunt thing was a mildly interesting frame to support the juvenile power fantasy of "What if this worthless knowledge I have was somehow the key to saving the world?"

Armada was exactly the same thing again, but without the thin veneer of justification for the reference-laden power fantasy, and with even more obvious creepy misogyny.
And while I sometimes like trash, I don't generally eat the same trash twice. :shrug:

The nostalgia high wears off and people realise they're snorting baby powder.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

I think it’s notable they remark on the more egregious offenses in the story (Aech’s identity, the use of “autistic,” the behavior toward Art3mis) despite not being a social justice-oriented review.
That's been a real breath of fresh air for me from the opposite end of the scale. I'm finally listening to a podcast about bad books where the hosts can simply marvel at how offensive or clueless something is without turning it into laboriously humorless pageantry.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

The Bee posted:

I know the Star Wars wiki is as dry as a boring biscuit, but is there a record of the EU that's as mocking as the Transformers wiki? I could really use a timeline punctuated with "yes this poo poo really happened" to get through a rainy day.

The OP of the Geeky Star Wars Loser Thread over in TBB comes close to what you're looking for.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Antivehicular posted:

By far the biggest flight of fantasy in RPO is that the Aech reveal happens and Parzifal doesn't get gross, weird, or racist about it.

He does, or I thought he mentally struggled with being angry initially about it before getting over it in two seconds because Wade is the bestest EVAR at everything he does!!!1

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Wade Watts, 2040's Teen gets plenty weird enough about Artemis anyway. There's a point in the book where he gets super possessive toward other people in the group because they've been spending time with her. I'm sure in Ernest Cline's mind it was supposed to be "just like Han and Luke duking it out over Leia (before Return of the Jedi sorted that out for Luke)" but it came off more like someone yelling at his friends because they smiled at the girl he's got a crush on.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

He does, or I thought he mentally struggled with being angry initially about it before getting over it in two seconds because Wade is the bestest EVAR at everything he does!!!1
He's angry not because she's black but because she "lied" to him by befriending him in the form of a white guy. As crazy as it sounds, there's actually isn't anything racist about this - the truth is much, much dumber than that. There are multiple points in the course of the story when Wade is introduced to someone in the real world, and every time, he's genuinely surprised that their real body isn't like their OASIS avatar. It might be the stupidest thing in the whole stupid book. Not even he looks anything like his avatar, but it's always treated like a significant revelation - revelation not of how they're different, but that they're different at all. This happens literally every time. Wade isn't racist, he's just a bizarre idiot who takes one of the most basic concepts in online interaction as personal betrayal.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 06:08 on Mar 15, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

He's angry not because she's black but because she "lied" to him by befriending him in the form of a white guy. As crazy as it sounds, there's actually isn't anything racist about this - the truth is much, much dumber than that. There are multiple points in the course of the story when Wade is introduced to someone in the real world, and every time, he's genuinely surprised that their real body isn't like their OASIS avatar. It might be the stupidest thing in the whole stupid book. Not even he looks anything like his avatar, but it's always treated like a significant revelation - revelation not of how they're different, but that they're different at all. This happens literally every time. Wade isn't racist, he's just a bizarre idiot who takes one of the most basic concepts in online interaction as personal betrayal.

why should i take the word of a spinning cat

cats cant read

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Sagebrush posted:

Ah, phew, I'm glad someone else noticed that. There's one scene in particular where that characteristic of his writing really stood out to me:

While it's a stupid concept, it at least could have been dramatic if Cline had written this in real-time. Let us learn about the game along with the protagonist! Tell us the story as he misses a line and gets a warning, with no idea of what's going to happen if he misses -- does he just have to start over? Does he get ejected from the game? Is he permanently banned from the OASIS? Oh no, he got another one wrong! What is going to happen? Will he get the next line right???

...but no he just tells us up front "I passed it just fine, of course" and then explains how the game works but we don't give a poo poo any more because we know he beat it already.

Christ it's bad writing.

this character's name is supposed to be pronounced like the letter "H" but every time I read it I kept hearing an Alfred E. Neuman "ecccchhhh"

The thing is that Cline can't describe the scene, or he'd be getting dangerously close to crossing the line of fair use. There could be a way to actually show the action of the scene vaguely enough that it wouldn't be literally transcribing War Games, but it would be almost the same as telling the stakes and then immediately resolving them as you quoted. It would be kind of brilliant if Cline meant to set it up that way as a reasonable excuse for the laziest writing ever. Which is why I'm pretty sure it wasn't on purpose.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
speaking of RPO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWPMJwHrWFU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad every place seems to be nearing complete RPO saturation. It's the RPO Event Horizon, one might say.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
https://twitter.com/electrolemon/status/971208968323280896?s=19

His expression is everything I feel about Ready Player One.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I have never seen a wiki that does what tfwiki does

the only good wiki

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Just listened to the I Don't Even Own A Television episode for "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". It's fairly entertaining (I'm finding IDEOTV a bit hit-and-miss these days) and I actually read the book some years ago. Stray observations:

* It is really crazy how that book became super-ubiquitous for a few years, given its content and quality of writing
* IDEOTV asserted that the English edition of the novel was translated from an unedited manuscript and so contains a bunch of stuff that was snipped from the Swedish version
* I found the book strangely readable. (Explanation for my first point?) I mean, it was weird and goofy and the plot was absurd and gave away too much about the author and his hangups. But the pages passed by surprisingly fast for a 700 page novel.
* But that plot resolution just stunk: I mean, the daughter goes missing, there's no trace of her, someone is sending messages on the anniversary of her disappearance ... Even the protagonists suggest that maybe she left the island and is still alive. But no, we're assured repeatedly that's impossible. Only to find out that she left the island and is still alive.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Honestly the same thing happens when I think about Twilight and it’s interesting to contrast the two books in terms of being pure power fantasies. So much potential just left rotting on the floor for the sake of individual wank. Although the more I hear about RPO the more I feel it’s on a Handbook for Mortals level.

I’m very grateful to whoever posted “372 Pages” first (unsure if it was here or another thread) but it’s a fun listen. I think it’s notable they remark on the more egregious offenses in the story (Aech’s identity, the use of “autistic,” the behavior toward Art3mis) despite not being a social justice-oriented review. I’ve genuinely had a tough time with the real-or-fanfic segments!

They're reading Armada now and have pointed out a new bit of awful Cline-ian writing.

The "I realized I was" which makes it seem like the character isn't in control of his body at any point. This goes along with the "I was already doing...". So he'll tell you what he should be doing, then say he was already doing that thing.

God it's awful.

He also has a penchant for "It would come to be known as..."

PJOmega posted:

It's really bad, but no it isn't H4M tier. You are right to point out similarities to Twilight, and that's actually why I harp on RPO in my social circle so heavily. It's still perfectly acceptable in polite company to rip on Twilight and 50 Shades and even people who enjoyed them won't rise to defend them. Fans of RPO however will get outraged at any criticism. And people will try to back it down. The only real dividing line is that it's seen as socially acceptable to rip on women aimed reading, but it's not "fair" to attack male orientated reading. And RPO is insanely aimed at men.

Also it's a loving garbage fire of a book that reads like a first pass on that writing prompt subreddit.

This is why I hate RPO more than Twilight. I'm also not the target demographic for Twilight, whereas I am for RPO and I resent this dreck being marketed to me.

Ccs has a new favorite as of 03:49 on Mar 16, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

outlier posted:

Just listened to the I Don't Even Own A Television episode for "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". It's fairly entertaining (I'm finding IDEOTV a bit hit-and-miss these days) and I actually read the book some years ago. Stray observations:

* It is really crazy how that book became super-ubiquitous for a few years, given its content and quality of writing
* IDEOTV asserted that the English edition of the novel was translated from an unedited manuscript and so contains a bunch of stuff that was snipped from the Swedish version
* I found the book strangely readable. (Explanation for my first point?) I mean, it was weird and goofy and the plot was absurd and gave away too much about the author and his hangups. But the pages passed by surprisingly fast for a 700 page novel.
* But that plot resolution just stunk: I mean, the daughter goes missing, there's no trace of her, someone is sending messages on the anniversary of her disappearance ... Even the protagonists suggest that maybe she left the island and is still alive. But no, we're assured repeatedly that's impossible. Only to find out that she left the island and is still alive.

One of my friends kept telling me to read that book, so I picked up a copy and read it. It was so amazingly bad I didn’t talk to her for a week. Especially that last point there, or the list of tech specs for every computer. Jesus H Christ that book was a steaming pile.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

outlier posted:

Actually, it’s a little different than that. The original translation came about as a quick pass translation for people interested in the film rights, and that went through the style guidelines of the publisher, which ended up cutting and changing things. There’s a bit more narrative voice in the Swedish text, which makes it read a little better. It’s still kind of a “eh, whatever” book in the whole Nordic Noir genre, but it’s definitely a nicer read in Swedish.

Fun fact: the translator requested to use a pseudonym based on how badly he felt things were handled for the English edition.

Same translator did a bunch of other books in the genre - Henning Mankell is a good example of someone doing better in the genre.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Is the protagonist still the greatest lover of all time in the Swedish version? Because that middle-aged-would-be-lothario's-Gary-Stu bit was the most obnoxious part of the first two books for me. (I stopped afterwards when I realized I didn't give a poo poo how book 2's cliffhanger would be resolved.)

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Is the protagonist still the greatest lover of all time in the Swedish version? Because that middle-aged-would-be-lothario's-Gary-Stu bit was the most obnoxious part of the first two books for me. (I stopped afterwards when I realized I didn't give a poo poo how book 2's cliffhanger would be resolved.)

Yes, he is still garbage in Swedish.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Far as I know it was just a fairly run of the mill nordic crime airport thriller. It probably wouldn't have sold nearly as much if Larsson hadn't died while it was being published & there was a court battle between his live-in girlfriend & his family, and an unnotarized(?) will & what not, keeping it all in the news for months.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krankenstyle posted:

Far as I know it was just a fairly run of the mill nordic crime airport thriller. It probably wouldn't have sold nearly as much if Larsson hadn't died while it was being published & there was a court battle between his live-in girlfriend & his family, and an unnotarized(?) will & what not, keeping it all in the news for months.

It was a run of the mill airport thriller wrapped up in another book about financial crimes explained in excruciating and often difficult to follow detail.

I think Liz Salander being a weird feminist icon was what got it in the news in the US, way more than the death of a journalist 99 percent of the country had never heard of. That poo poo was everywhere, and baffled me once I read the book and saw what the character was like.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

No yea the death was the reason it got popular in Sweden & the rest of Scandinavia. From whence Salander as heorine & the books ready for the American market.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Swedish film adaption of the first book was good.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It was a run of the mill airport thriller wrapped up in another book about financial crimes explained in excruciating and often difficult to follow detail.

I think Liz Salander being a weird feminist icon was what got it in the news in the US, way more than the death of a journalist 99 percent of the country had never heard of. That poo poo was everywhere, and baffled me once I read the book and saw what the character was like.

There was a lot of "Lisbeth Salander is awesome / owed / kicks rear end" going around the net. Which, as you say, is weird when you find out she's an emotionally stunted, self-hating sex abuse survivor. Hard to see her story as any sort of triumph.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

outlier posted:

There was a lot of "Lisbeth Salander is awesome / owed / kicks rear end" going around the net. Which, as you say, is weird when you find out she's an emotionally stunted, self-hating sex abuse survivor. Hard to see her story as any sort of triumph.

And everything she does that isn’t :stonk: as gently caress basically happens somewhere else and you find out about it later. She’s a flat character who exists to get raped or torture people, it’s really gross.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

theres often a catharsis in "victims" turning the tables and becoming the "violators" though, that might be it

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I think it's just that she's described as attractive punk girl, and the 'emotionally stunted, self-hating' part of her character exactly describes the kind of guys on the internet who latch onto a tough alternative girl to jack off to while trying to convince people she's actually a feminist icon for wearing boots and having piercings.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
It's Joss "I constantly cheated on my wife for years" Whedon-style empowerment.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
In the sequel, she gets breast implants.

She also teaches herself mathematics, immediately solves Fermat's Last Theorem, but then gets knocked out and when she comes to, can't remember her solution.

They are not good books.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
She has sex with a teenage kid while on vacation in the tropics

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Man, is there any worldwide phenomenon bestseller book/s in the last 30 years that didn't turn out to be a candy coating over a massive center of poo poo?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cornwind Evil posted:

Man, is there any worldwide phenomenon bestseller book/s in the last 30 years that didn't turn out to be a candy coating over a massive center of poo poo?

the first three harry potter books are pretty good

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cornwind Evil posted:

stephen king

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Terry Pratchett?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Cornwind Evil posted:

I didn't read it but I never heard any gross stuff about A Series Of Unfortunate Events