Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Installing Wolverine to the hdd did fix the framerate problems for the most part but there's still another thing that bothers me. There's no subtitles available and the volume mixing is pretty bad so you have to turn sound effects almost all the way down and dialogue all the way up to hear what they're saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

scarycave posted:

On a similar note Final Fantasy Adventure was the first game that I remember had "sad at the time" deaths that kind of stuck with me. I'm pretty sure you outright have to mercy kill a party member at one point and that's a weird concept for a kid.
Sucks I could never finish it though, since I saved between two rocks and missed the morning star. It was a pretty good game aside from that. You get a chocobo with robot legs.

Mine was Breath of Fire IV. That game was bleak. Fou-Lu, the last boss isn't even the real bad guy; the dude who commits tons of atrocities during the game just gets off scot-free, and planning to do even more.

Your post reminded me that a significant amount of the game is dedicated to finding Nina's sister until you reach a dungeon that seems to be made entirely of flesh - and a deity's flesh at that. You have to cut your way through it with a special sword made specifically for tearing through that kind of being until you reach a room where the woman is lying in a bed. Turns out she was the dungeon, as she removes her covers and her lower half is an abominable mess. The party member who was tasked as the bodyguard of the royal family is left behind and has to execute her with the same weapon you've been using during the dungeon. And that's thanks to her being experimented on by the real Big Bad.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Samuringa posted:

Mine was Breath of Fire IV. That game was bleak. Fou-Lu, the last boss isn't even the real bad guy; the dude who commits tons of atrocities during the game just gets off scot-free, and planning to do even more.

Your post reminded me that a significant amount of the game is dedicated to finding Nina's sister until you reach a dungeon that seems to be made entirely of flesh - and a deity's flesh at that. You have to cut your way through it with a special sword made specifically for tearing through that kind of being until you reach a room where the woman is lying in a bed. Turns out she was the dungeon, as she removes her covers and her lower half is an abominable mess. The party member who was tasked as the bodyguard of the royal family is left behind and has to execute her with the same weapon you've been using during the dungeon. And that's thanks to her being experimented on by the real Big Bad.

what

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Breath of Fire 3 and 4 went in weird and ambitious directions after the first two pretty bland games in the series.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I believe the game was rushed out before the last act was completed, so Yuna's punishment was planned but is not present in the final game.

What other games are out there where the most aggravating character, or whoever gives you the most grief, survives the game intact? CJ's brother in San Andreas calls you a sucka and acts like an ungrateful prick beginning-to-end.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What other games are out there where the most aggravating character, or whoever gives you the most grief, survives the game intact? CJ's brother in San Andreas calls you a sucka and acts like an ungrateful prick beginning-to-end.
Almost the entire cast of Final Fantasy 8 survives.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

I believe the game was rushed out before the last act was completed, so Yuna's punishment was planned but is not present in the final game.

The entire US government in Snake Eater.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Breath of Fire 3 and 4 went in weird and ambitious directions after the first two pretty bland games in the series.

Apparently! I think I rented the first one and wasn’t impressed. Kinda sad now.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Apparently! I think I rented the first one and wasn’t impressed. Kinda sad now.

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter is even bleaker.
The game starts in the bottom of what's basically a giant, polluted mineshaft where the last scraps of humanity are slowly dying.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rico Velasquez makes it out alive of four Killzone games.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Preston Garvey from Fallout 4.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

I will never turn down a chance to complain that I wasn't able to murder the hell out of Reaver in Fable (2 or 3).

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Unless you play in a very specific way, Marlburg from Alpha Protocol.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Genevieve Aristide in FEAR 2 might qualify. Never bothered with 3 so I don't know if she survives the sequel, though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Serious answer: Reaver in Fable 2 and 3. Its even worse in 3 as he manages to be an even bigger rear end in a top hat.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Damien in Divinity 2. I wait like eight years to get that rear end in a top hat and then they make Original Sin 2 which basically retcons the drat main series and its cliffhanger ending out of existence

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Let me tell you about this little game called Dota....

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Subnautica has a really good feeling of progression, but the endgame is kind of annoying. First, you're exploring this unknown place that requires specific keys that you need to craft, only you don't know which ones you need, so you'll reach a door, realize it requires X key, and have to return to base, or at least somewhere with materials and a crafting station, to craft it. You might craft a Y or Z key too, while you're there. You get back to the place (which is a long ways away), and suddenly find you need two Y keys and have to go all the way back to make one more.

Then you're tasked with hunting down certain plants that you could conceivably have gotten already, but there's literally no reason to have gotten them at this point so you're probably going to have to scour the world (or look up how) to get them.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Samuringa posted:

Unless you play in a very specific way, Marlburg from Alpha Protocol.

When you finally figure out how to murder the gently caress out of him, that's probably my most satisfying gaming moment of all time. Second most satisfying would be double-crossing Leland.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Letting the terrorist live and telling Alan about it is mine because 1) it's a detail that completely ruins his plans that he never expected you to pull and 2) when you tell him about it you earn multiple respect points from him because he's legitimately impressed. This is pretty cool because it's the endgame and his affinity with you is meaningless, gameplay wise, but he's a monumental rear end in a top hat who's never satisfied with anything and thinks he's smarter than everyone but you just beat him at his own game in such a clever way he cant help but be amazed.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

One rear end in a top hat character I wish had gotten away with it was Lucas Baker. He would have made a great Wesker replacement.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Leal posted:

Serious answer: Reaver in Fable 2 and 3. Its even worse in 3 as he manages to be an even bigger rear end in a top hat.

And you can't even TRY to do anything about the fucker. He's one of the most evil people in the setting, and he never comes close to facing any consequences.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Samuringa posted:

Letting the terrorist live and telling Alan about it is mine because 1) it's a detail that completely ruins his plans that he never expected you to pull and 2) when you tell him about it you earn multiple respect points from him because he's legitimately impressed.

Yea, but I don't want him to be impressed by me, I want him to go down like a little bitch while I spout a dumb one-liner to his face.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While Sideway: New York is a pretty good game that I'm finally at the final boss of (just going back to old levels to find the last few unlockables as my health is behind the curve) one thing that a lot of people take umbrage to is that the soundtrack, which are all rap/hiphop tracks to go with the Graffiti/Inner City Ghetto theme, are all censored, of course because it for all ages but it bugs some people. The main thing that drags it down for me though, as I don't care about the soundtrack (it's fun to play along to but I have no investment in the songs and don't really care about the censored lyrics) is how prone it can be to crashing. I had the game for 7 years, it was actually the first game I ever bought on Steam, but only recently got this far because it kept crashing during the final non-boss level and only just let me beat it today.

It is a fun game though, I'd recommend it if it weren't for the crashing. It works fine for 90% of the game for me, then that level just fucks it. Everything else works fine and is fun to play.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200190/Sideway_New_York/

Link to the game because it is fun.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Schubalts posted:

And you can't even TRY to do anything about the fucker. He's one of the most evil people in the setting, and he never comes close to facing any consequences.
How a near demigod like being like the player character didn't just beat his head open as soon as his purpose was fulfilled in the end of two astounds me.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In the Surge, bosses drop a special version of their weapon if you fulfill a bonus objective. The mid-boss for the DLC is just a normal dude, so obtaining his special weapon requires you to chop his arm off like any other humanoid enemy. The problem is, whether or not you can do that depends on how much damage you deal to his arm, and you have no way of knowing if you passed the threshold until you execute the finishing move and either get it or the normal version instead. Plus, since he's a twitchy staff user actually consistently landing hits without hitting the wrong spot or getting comboed to death is a pain.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

World Famous W posted:

How a near demigod like being like the player character didn't just beat his head open as soon as his purpose was fulfilled in the end of two astounds me.

Reaver has “creator’s pet” written all over him, right down to his unconvincing tragic backstory.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Samuringa posted:

Guess that's a weird theme in the BoF games then. One section of the main story in BoF2 has you shrink the whole party down so they can be injected inside a princess who has been knocked unconscious and made obese by demons of some sort. You have to travel through her body as a sort of dungeon defeating those demons in the form of random encounters until she's skinny again.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
That's just Fantasy Bariatric Surgery

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
Didn't Breath of Fire 1 also have a dungeon inside of someone's mind? Except it was a normal dungeon tileset instead of the fleshy tileset inside the queen in 2. And the boss was the only enemy in the game that had no health bar so you couldn't know how long it would last.

It's been 15+ years, I can't remember the name of any of the enemies or places, but this detail comes back due to this convo. Memory is a weird thing.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Seriously, the whole final act in part 3 where he's smugly offering all those propositions ("sure you could restore that orphanage... or you could turn it into a brothel!") make the necessary money was the worst. Why not just kill/imprison the guy and nationalise all his assets? I mean, we're dealing with the literal loving apocalypse here, I'm the monarch, and everybody hates him anyway. Don't tell me that wouldn't have been a feasible way to raise the money. :ussr:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Guess that's a weird theme in the BoF games then. One section of the main story in BoF2 has you shrink the whole party down so they can be injected inside a princess who has been knocked unconscious and made obese by demons of some sort. You have to travel through her body as a sort of dungeon defeating those demons in the form of random encounters until she's skinny again.

I could never get into the first game but I love Breath of Fire 2 and it’s weird scenarios.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

There was another one that took place inside of a whale. And some of the enemies were leaning towards "grotesque body horror" in their designs.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I think most people don't remember BoF details because it was a fishing game with a JRPG plot around it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

maou shoujo posted:

Didn't Breath of Fire 1 also have a dungeon inside of someone's mind?

(Tokes on a huge blunt) whoa, in his mind? So it’s like saying your mind is a prison that you can never escape because you can’t like get rid of your mind. Wow. (Tokes on a huge blunt)

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

There’s a boss in BoF2 who is an old dude hooked up to a machine who’s begging you to kill him. It’s easy to do that, even accidentally with multi-target spells, but if you manage to keep him alive it turns out he’s your father who went missing/was presumed dead from like the beginning of the game before the timeskip. As a bonus you can modify the machine and install it in the town you founded to allow it to fly. It’s powered by your dad willingly hooking himself up to the thing because he’s used to it. You also need to do this to get the best ending. Pretty hosed up!

Samuringa posted:

I think most people don't remember BoF details because it was a fishing game with a JRPG plot around it.

BoF3 had the best fishing mini-game of all time. I’ll occasionally replay the entire game just for the fishing

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Mar 15, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Miranda in mass effect 2 is almost unkillable in the suicide mission.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Digirat posted:

Keyword being "almost" thankfully. :byewhore:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Digirat posted:

weird, she was one of my two deaths the first time I played through it

I'd say I feel special but I didn't actually mind her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Digirat posted:

Yardbomb posted:

Keyword being "almost" thankfully. :byewhore: