Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

There isn't an Addams Family Values pinball table. It's an Addams Family table and it's fantastic
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

canyoneer posted:

There isn't an Addams Family Values pinball table. It's an Addams Family table and it's fantastic

Well if that's the case, there is no way in hell that Theranos got hold of one.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

My old employer Cox invested $100 million in Theranos and all of their yearly Powerpoint presentations would tout their diversification into medical technologies. Probably would have been better off investing in Martin Shkreli. He at least might still have a copy of that Wu Tang album.

That album apparently isn't even a real Wu Tang album.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Eldred posted:

I wonder how the hell someone destroys their life this badly, like whether the lies were the plan all along or if the tech just didn't come together and she was stuck spinning more to buy time. Looking forward to the biopic starring Jennifer Lawrence

Just goes to show what scammers have known for millennia.

Scream buzzwords loud enough, and promise the earth, and they'll be throwing quarry truck loads of money at you soon enough.

I've always wondered why executives don't go on permanent "business trips" to Brazil with literal sacks of cash the moment said cash starts rolling in, as opposed to when it's far too late and the feds bust down the door.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Just goes to show what scammers have known for millennia.

Scream buzzwords loud enough, and promise the earth, and they'll be throwing quarry truck loads of money at you soon enough.

I've always wondered why executives don't go on permanent "business trips" to Brazil with literal sacks of cash the moment said cash starts rolling in, as opposed to when it's far too late and the feds bust down the door.

For the same reason bitcoiners rant about HODLing and buying the dip, and gamblers can't ever manage to quit while they're ahead.

Greed. And probably also some addiction to thrill-seeking. Possibly with a helping of narcissistic personality disorder.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i saw theranos scam lady in person once and she looks even more like jennifer lawrence in person

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think a fair number of white collar criminals get caught up in their own hype - I'm sure at some level Holmes actually does believe that what she wanted to do actually is possible.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I missed a couple pages because I accidentally unsubscribed, and pro athlete salaries are insane, but at one point a decade ago, Jermaine loving O'Neal was making 23 million to be a very average player.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Moneyball posted:

I missed a couple pages because I accidentally unsubscribed, and pro athlete salaries are insane, but at one point a decade ago, Jermaine loving O'Neal was making 23 million to be a very average player.

If you think that's shocking, check out the compensation packages of mediocre, not to mention downright bad executives. Public companies are required to disclose their 5 most compensated employees, you can grab a terribly performing company at random and those pay numbers are likely to be in the millions.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

But can they ball?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Probably not, which makes it even more inexplicable.

GE lost billions of dollars last year, the company has had to cut dividends and has lost tens of billions of market cap. The CEO and CFO earned 6 and 4 million, respectively, last year for this stellar performance. Not to mention the at least 5 other people earning 3-11 million, including people who were fired for doing such a lovely job.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

How about Toys R Us executives, I’m sure they’re being compensated well for destroying the company.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

canyoneer posted:

Yeah this is one of the pinball tables to own if you are going to bother owning one. Impossible to find though unless you poop Theranos money before people decided magic didn't exist.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Theranos was a Kickstarter where they planned to figure out the problems after they got the backer money.

I’m sure they seriously thought they could science their way out of this and were probably forced to open up those clinics because of VC backer time tables and that’s when the fraud really started.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Moneyball posted:

Malcom Butler would need to improve a lot to be a very average player. He's literally one of the worst starting CBs in the NFL, but somehow convinced a GM to pay him like a very good to great player.

The TFF Hivemind would be a better GM than half the GMs in the NFL.

I'm sure this applies to a lot of other sports as well.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Probably not, which makes it even more inexplicable.

GE lost billions of dollars last year, the company has had to cut dividends and has lost tens of billions of market cap. The CEO and CFO earned 6 and 4 million, respectively, last year for this stellar performance. Not to mention the at least 5 other people earning 3-11 million, including people who were fired for doing such a lovely job.

On one hand yes that is a lot of money, on the other hand there are not that many people with experience and qualifications to run a company that employs 300,000 people. Executive salaries are high and arguably too high relative to employee salaries in the United States but there are also structural reasons for that and models where executives are paid nothing or almost nothing if the company does poorly probably won't succeed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

models where executives are paid nothing or almost nothing if the company does poorly probably won't succeed.

It's almost like the high salaries are justified by the idea that the CxO can single handedly impact everything about the company, and the fact that performance based compensation isn't accepted betrays that this idea is false.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

On one hand yes that is a lot of money, on the other hand there are not that many people with experience and qualifications to run a company that employs 300,000 people. Executive salaries are high and arguably too high relative to employee salaries in the United States but there are also structural reasons for that and models where executives are paid nothing or almost nothing if the company does poorly probably won't succeed.

to dogpile on, anyone with any experience in management knows that the CEO doesn't have a vastly different amount of scope in their day to day labor than does the supervisor managing a team of individual contributors: there's middle management at multiple layers on the way up to make sure that the scale of direct reports doesn't grow commensurate with the compensation

yeah, the dudes at the top are making decisions with more impact than the supervisors and so you want better judgment, but if that's the case, when someone at that level demonstrates judgment that yields bad results that pretty much disproves the one differentiating factor hypothesized to justify their outsized compensation

arguments of "well it could have been worse with a less experience person" don't refute that the individual who is there now is overcompensated and either should be making less or should be replaced

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

ghosTTy posted:

fudsters are crashing the crypto market and im getting rekt, whats the best way to get a big loan so i can teach them a lesson
I don't care if it's a troll I'm cross-posting from the newbie thread here inside our very own BFC because it tickles me so.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I'm on board with the idea that if you want to attract/retain talent/experience/qualifications, you need to pay them commensurately. The problem I see in practice, though, is that executives retain their high pay and benefits and continue to be paid bonuses even when companies perform so poorly that employees need to be laid off/have benefits reduced. If we're going to say that high exec pay is that way because execs bring something to the table, they need to actually bring it to the table. If there are too many factors outside executive control to reduce compensation when the company performs poorly, it stands to reason that the good times don't have as much to do with execs as people like to think.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I don't have a problem with high executive pay, but those golden parachutes...

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Exec pay is loving out to lunch. Go back and look at the multipliers from the 60s or 70s. Execs made good money but nothing like they do today. Exec pay has nothing to do with company performance and everything to do with making sure that when you’re an exec you make just as much money as the guy running the company you’re on the board for.

It’s very BMW for shareholders but very GWM for people who benefit from the inflated pay.

It’s also worth comparing to the public sector. Public servants running enormous departments making 6-8x the median (org) worker wage.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 15, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Wait, that bitcoin guy turned $120k into $30k by selling at a loss and still owes $50k in taxes?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I read it as they sold Bitcoin high, "diversified" in to other shitcoins, and they tanked

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think a fair number of white collar criminals get caught up in their own hype - I'm sure at some level Holmes actually does believe that what she wanted to do actually is possible.

This person literally walked around breathing nothing but her own farts for years; her grasp of the science began with and ended with "wouldn't it be cool if we could _______?"

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Wait, that bitcoin guy turned $120k into $30k by selling at a loss and still owes $50k in taxes?
Bought low, sold high on BTC, incurring capital gains. Rolled it all in to alt coins high and sold low, losing btc profits and still owing btc taxes.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

:thermidor:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Moneyball posted:

But can they ball?

And if you really want BWM, look at the cities that keep giving truckloads of tax money to billionaires to build new stadiums with. It's an economic dead loss for the city but everyone persists in the illusion that it's somehow going to pay for itself.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I love a good sporting game as much as the next lad, but the tax subsidies are nuts. Maybe a bit, but not as much as what they really give.

I'm so glad :wrongcity: passed on the Olympics.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The question is does having an nfl team etc make companies stay or move to your city so you can tax those overpaid executives

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Phanatic posted:

And if you really want BWM, look at the cities that keep giving truckloads of tax money to billionaires to build new stadiums with. It's an economic dead loss for the city but everyone persists in the illusion that it's somehow going to pay for itself.

The real profit was the sense of community they fostered along the way

Also, the kickbacks

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

cowofwar posted:

Bought low, sold high on BTC, incurring capital gains. Rolled it all in to alt coins high and sold low, losing btc profits and still owing btc taxes.

I think it happened during different years, selling BTC in 2017, making a profit, not paying taxes, and using the money to buy altcoins in 2018 which are now worth little.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Commissar Kayla posted:

SAHMs have all the right ingredients for wanting to believe the promises of the MLM and not having the savvy to recognize it as a scam.

Ew dude, lol. Why do you think female stay at home parents are dumb

Does staying home cause them to become dumb, or is being dumb what caused them to stay at home?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

TV rots your brain

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Actually good point... I've seen the daily routine of a stay at home parent and it probably would turn Stephen Hawking into Steve-O within a few months

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

Exec pay is loving out to lunch. Go back and look at the multipliers from the 60s or 70s. Execs made good money but nothing like they do today. Exec pay has nothing to do with company performance and everything to do with making sure that when you’re an exec you make just as much money as the guy running the company you’re on the board for.

It’s very BMW for shareholders but very GWM for people who benefit from the inflated pay.

It’s also worth comparing to the public sector. Public servants running enormous departments making 6-8x the median (org) worker wage.

I think part of the problem are companies going outside to poach talent. They're usually trying to find a VP or senior exec who will someday be CEO so get them now while they're still 'cheap'. Something like Melissa Mayer at Google or Ron Johnson at Apple. But for them to leave their current job you essentially have to promise them everything they're giving up should the new gig not work out. That's not as big a deal when you're cultivating your own talent.

My company poached some guy who was fantastic at his old job and is now on multiple top 10 lists for worst CEO's of all time. He just sucked. And since they lured him from a company he had worked in his whole life, his golden parachute was massive.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Moneyball posted:

I don't have a problem with high executive pay, but those golden parachutes...

They were a shakedown from when management was afraid of losing their jobs to corporate raiders, and aligned incentives to stop management from fighting buyout offers where management would be unemployed but shareholders would see a payday.

In theory they can also let management know that the board will let them pursue something that might not get results this quarter by letting them pursue a strategy that is not immediately liked by investors, but that doesn’t seem all that feasible.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Vancouver just passed on bidding for an unknown and ungauranteed number of world cup games. It's a good thing because FIFA required the host city to sign an agreement that basically says "we can rewrite the stadium contract at any time for any reason and you're on the hook for any additional costs". Yeah, like anyone trusts loving FIFA of all orgs with a blank check.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Moneyball posted:

I love a good sporting game as much as the next lad, but the tax subsidies are nuts. Maybe a bit, but not as much as what they really give.

I'm so glad :wrongcity: passed on the Olympics.

Same, holy poo poo. Now we just need to do the same with amazon. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think part of the problem are companies going outside to poach talent. They're usually trying to find a VP or senior exec who will someday be CEO so get them now while they're still 'cheap'. Something like Melissa Mayer at Google or Ron Johnson at Apple. But for them to leave their current job you essentially have to promise them everything they're giving up should the new gig not work out. That's not as big a deal when you're cultivating your own talent.

My company poached some guy who was fantastic at his old job and is now on multiple top 10 lists for worst CEO's of all time. He just sucked. And since they lured him from a company he had worked in his whole life, his golden parachute was massive.

In other words "the market demands high salaries and large compensation packages to attract and retain executives when multiple companies are competing for experienced executives"