Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Still ignoring the person arrested for videotaping the cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/SenFeinstein/status/974296699408670720

Well, that was a quick shift.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Prester Jane posted:

The cop wasn't reprimanded therefore the cop did nothing wrong is some amazing bootlicker logic.

When I sit and wonder in my more desperate times why we cannot seem to get real criminal justice reform done I read bootlicking posts like the one you quoted there and I remember that's how most of this country thinks about cops. The absolute deference to authority and the pathological resistance we have to ever question its judgment, I believe, will eventually let this country drift into full on fascism. We're what, a step or two away already?

EDIT

Makes me wonder how many frothing angry, screaming phone calls her offices have fielded in the last 48 hours. Must have been a lot.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

selec posted:

Also, "Glenn Greenwald gets paid in rubles" is so loving basic and embarrassing a thing to type it feels like I was given a pair of Lululemons just for reading it.

Wha....what are you trying to say

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Did she just forget who that was?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

FizFashizzle posted:

Wha....what are you trying to say

greenwald is a moron but suggesting he's saying the things he says because he's getting paid by putin rather than because he has a deep-seated hatred of the US is dumb and embarrassing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Radish posted:

Did she just forget who that was?

She must have some bad internals in her primary...

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

DaveWoo posted:

Well, that was a quick shift.

Yeah, but the endgame may just be "Well she was just following orders and it wasn't explicitly against the rules yet so I'll vote to confirm". That position may be strengthened by any records of the events.

But hopefully it's a shift towards condemnation of Ms. Haspel, which would be nice.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 15, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lol the democrats are hosed

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

botany posted:

greenwald is a moron but suggesting he's saying the things he says because he's getting paid by putin rather than because he has a deep-seated hatred of the US is dumb and embarrassing.

Yeah sure but Lulu is comfy as heck and moves really well.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

mcmagic posted:

She must have some bad internals in her primary...

Frankly I don't think any Democrat is enjoying seeing their senators give respect to Trump nominations from the leftiest lefty to the biggest Clinton fan.

Chaos Personified
Oct 9, 2012

Xequecal posted:

The manager probably was racist. The appropriate way to deal with that is in the court of public opinion or the actual courts. Looks like it was pretty effective too, as he lost his job over this. You do not have the right to continue to trespass simply because you think you were slighted. I 100% guarantee you the cop isn't going to be fired or even reprimanded over this incident though, as he didn't do anything wrong.

The woman arrested wasn't trespassing.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah sure but Lulu is comfy as heck and moves really well.

oh sorry, i have no idea what that even is lol

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

VH4Ever posted:

When I sit and wonder in my more desperate times why we cannot seem to get real criminal justice reform done I read bootlicking posts like the one you quoted there and I remember that's how most of this country thinks about cops. The absolute deference to authority and the pathological resistance we have to ever question its judgment, I believe, will eventually let this country drift into full on fascism. We're what, a step or two away already?
Certain geographic sectiors of the country are somewhat close to being a step or two away from full fascism, but those are mostly small isolated pockets. The most of the country is probably still three four steps away from full-blown fascism.

That's said, there are a ton of things in our culture that are moving in the right direction and the younger you go the more true that becomes. Our younger generation is being raised in an incredibly apt demonstration of a widespread failure of leadership, and they are going to carry the lessons they learned from all this into their adult lives long past any of us. Presuming that we survive the trumpocalypse, America's future is actually pretty bright.

Fake edit: speech to text recognizes trumpocalypse, lol.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 15, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Radish posted:

Frankly I don't think any Democrat is enjoying seeing their senators give respect to Trump nominations from the leftiest lefty to the biggest Clinton fan.

Gotta get some heads on pikes for them to actually change their behavior...

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Lol the democrats are hosed

Great take

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

Chaos Personified posted:

I will absolutely concede that if that sidewalk was not movie theater property then the cop had no authority to tell her to do anything and the arrest was complete bullshit.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Chaos Personified posted:

The typical response to a cop acting outrageously out of line injuring or killing someone breaking some minor law (oh no trespassing or selling cigarettes :ohdear:) is "well the cop had to do what they had to do and if the person just did what he or she was told then nothing would have happened" but when something like this comes up where the person arrested wasn't even breaking the law the lines get crossed and they just repeat the same prepared argument.

mcmagic posted:

Gotta get some heads on pikes for them to actually change their behavior...

Yeah I'm hoping a big name actually ends up getting primaried successfully so the fear of God is put into them. My dream is Kaine when his time comes up but I'm not that optimistic.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 15, 2018

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I sure do feel safer knowing I'm protected by cops who body slam teenage girls

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

botany posted:

And, evidently, feminine.

Xequecal posted:

I will absolutely concede that if that sidewalk was not movie theater property then the cop had no authority to tell her to do anything and the arrest was complete bullshit.

It was a bullshit assault anyway?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im here all day
Tip your waiters

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

lol i've been busy at work all morning and yall are still in here defending pigs and racists

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, millions of years, even if we were in the top ten percent fastest that is nothing. We had people driving cars within a blink of an eye of having the first fish with a brain. Going from single cell to real multicelular (not just algae mats or something) is the only step that took more than an instant. Like we even have squid and dolphins and elephants and ravens on this planet that are like, not sentient as us but like, close enough to make us feel we aren't some god ordained only possible success at it.

Multicellular life is the only step that happened slow enough to make it seem it was unlikely event. Everything else happened so fast or so many times that it wouldn't work as "great filter". Great filter only works as a great filter if it's near inevitable and totally unrecoverable. Recovering in a million or a hundred million years is pretty irrelevant.

If there is a great filter its more likely that its still in front of us. My vote is machine sentience. Once we interface with the brain and start uploading our consciousness to machines and making virtual paradises (that may seem to last infinitely long) there's probably no desire to do anything else until the sun explodes.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Can we talk more about the sanctions? Was this a Mnuchin move and Trump just basically didn't stop it? Or was he unaware?

Chaos Personified
Oct 9, 2012

Xequecal posted:

It doesn't matter who's property it was on. The manager needs to be the one to deny her entry, not the police for it to be trespassing. If the cop claimed public disturbance or disorderly conduct, he might have the slightest chance of not coming across as not assaulting the woman. That he went with trespassing as his excuse shows that he was only interested in punishing the woman for disrespecting him. The woman had not been ejected from the theater, so she wasn't trespassing. A theater has implied consent to enter, so unless the owner actively denies the person entry, they are not trespassing.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I can't count the number of times I've had to physically throw someone out of a store back when I worked in the restaurant industry.

I drive a bus in a large city and if I touch anyone, I can be charged with assault. You must have worked in the restaurant industry a long time ago...

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

I sure do feel safer knowing I'm protected by cops who body slam teenage girls

I mean why else even be a cop

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

No Butt Stuff posted:

Can we talk more about the sanctions? Was this a Mnuchin move and Trump just basically didn't stop it? Or was he unaware?

We'll know the answer if Mnuchin gets fired.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/974243000275611648

heh

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

there's a really odd dynamic where she says one thing and then (presumably her staff) reverses her a day later in written statements. it makes me wonder what's going on, if she's having some age-related issues, or something else. I forget what the previous thing was, but it was this exact sort of "feinstein says x when asked on camera, day later a written statement says actually the opposite of x" except that time i think she may have then went and said x again

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

She's an old and should be primaried.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Iowa Snow King posted:

I mean why else even be a cop

Free donuts?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

botany posted:

yeah i agree with this. greenwald doesn't strike me as on anyone's payroll. he just is incredibly blinkered in his thinking when it comes to russia because of his guiding assumption that The United States Is Always Wrong ergo russia must be good

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Crow Jane posted:

Free donuts?

They get to murder people a lot too, especially black people and drunk guys crying in hotel hallways, they love that poo poo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

evilweasel posted:

there's a really odd dynamic where she says one thing and then (presumably her staff) reverses her a day later in written statements. it makes me wonder what's going on, if she's having some age-related issues, or something else. I forget what the previous thing was, but it was this exact sort of "feinstein says x when asked on camera, day later a written statement says actually the opposite of x" except that time i think she may have then went and said x again

my guess is a combination of encroaching senility and The Money telling her what to say

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

In Japan they test cars by dropping bags of drugs on them. That's why we need Transformers to patrol the borders.

I've seen that smug "take Trump seriously, not literally" line again from his apologists, it's really annoying and dumb.

https://twitter.com/mtm150/status/974265940194902016

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 15, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/NBCPolitics/status/974303388144930817?s=20

Caros
May 14, 2008

jet sanchEz posted:

I drive a bus in a large city and if I touch anyone, I can be charged with assault. You must have worked in the restaurant industry a long time ago...

Eh, my dad bounced probably a dozen people out of his restaurant over the course of a decade. Police tend to side with business owners who eject people unless there is something seriously hosed up, because they generally don't pick a fight in their place of business for no loving reason.

Though to be fair, most times it was the rear end in a top hat throwing the first punch.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

No Butt Stuff posted:

What do you think this is, a thread about the Trump administration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

WoodrowSkillson posted:

They get to murder people a lot too, especially black people and drunk guys crying in hotel hallways, they love that poo poo

The donut hole's a metaphor for shooting people if you think about it.

• Locked thread