Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I've never done a petition before I thought I just asked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I'm gonna ask for Banjo Kazooie and get Yooka Laylee

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Didn't the Shantae devs actually do a little infographic of a proposed version of Shantae in Smash, complete with moves and such? I remember some dev doing that awhile back.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

THE loving MOON posted:

Even odds on Shulk being in too

Shulk is extremely likely. Possibly Fiora too.

Think I'm going with Zelda. It's alsosomething else safe in front of the kids (I buy most of my M-rated stuff on PC for that reason.)

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

The Pirate Captain posted:

XB2 is suuuuper anime and I played maybe 4 hours before I lost interest. BotW is the best 3D Zelda but still kind of boring. Skyrim is the best RPG on Switch right now.

Ehhhhh I couldn't get back into Skyrim on switch, it got boring pretty quick. Although maybe that's because I put over 100 hours into it on the 360. I thought the portability would make it easy to jump back into but nope, just made me put the game down faster.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

THE loving MOON posted:

Rex/Pyra or maybe just Pyra are totally gonna be in Smash. Even odds on Shulk being in too
Shulk is already in Smash. :confused:

Rex will be in it, and his final smash will be

BUUUUUUUUUUURNING

SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORD

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

The Bloop posted:

Shantae and Shovel Knight would both be great additions to represent the evergrowing small players in the industry.
If I was making a list of new third-party characters likely to show up in the next Smash Bros, I'd have to put Shovel Knight at the top of that list. Not only is he a good fit, but he's the only character with an Amiibo who isn't in a first-party Nintendo game, which at least suggests something is special there. Plus, three more Shovel Knight series Amiibos are coming out this year, so there's still something going on.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

Shulk is extremely likely. Possibly Fiora too.

Think I'm going with Zelda. It's alsosomething else safe in front of the kids (I buy most of my M-rated stuff on PC for that reason.)

There's no way Fiora is in before some XB2 rep. Also consider getting XB down the line anyway, it really is a good JRPG if that's your thing.

irlZaphod posted:

Shulk is already in Smash. :confused:

Rex will be in it, and his final smash will be

BUUUUUUUUUUURNING

SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR-
SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRDD!!!!! (Pyra: poo poo, off again shitshitshit)

fixed

edit: Also Shulk being in is an even toss assuming it's a true Smash 5 and not 4.5. If it's 4.5 he's in for sure.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 15, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I can already imagine using shovel knight's down+b to shovel bounce off of somebody to jump back up to a ledge :allears:

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Ehhhhh I couldn't get back into Skyrim on switch, it got boring pretty quick. Although maybe that's because I put over 100 hours into it on the 360. I thought the portability would make it easy to jump back into but nope, just made me put the game down faster.

Yeah, it's the same game (plus DLC) as before, so if you're burnt out on it from playing back in the day then it's probably not worth getting. I also played a crapton when it first came out but that was 6 years ago or something now, so it had been long enough that I was able to get sucked right back in again. For me the portability really helped, since they are so many quests that take half an hour or an hour to do, it's great for playing in short sessions.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I hope the new Smash is 4.5 because 4 is a really great, balanced game.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Tesla vs Lovecraft looks like a pretty decent Smash TV clone.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Louisgod posted:

I hope the new Smash is 4.5 because 4 is a really great, balanced game.

It's great, but it's too turtley. I'd like to see a better risk/reward payoff.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Tesla vs Lovecraft looks like a pretty decent Smash TV clone.

It's not bad (have it on PC) but every game from the company plays extremely similarly and it's not their best.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

One of Smash Bros' primary purposes is to advertise other Nintendo properties, so I wouldn't count on more than 4-5 non-Nintendo characters making it in, and even then, they've always been HUGE names. It's not, like, a coincidence that the 3rd party characters to make it in were Snake, Sonic, Ryu, Pac Man, Mega Man, and Cloud.

Shovel Knight is a great candidate, but does that series really have that kind of sway?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Robot Hobo posted:

If I was making a list of new third-party characters likely to show up in the next Smash Bros, I'd have to put Shovel Knight at the top of that list. Not only is he a good fit, but he's the only character with an Amiibo who isn't in a first-party Nintendo game, which at least suggests something is special there. Plus, three more Shovel Knight series Amiibos are coming out this year, so there's still something going on.

There will be a Solaire amiibo at that point too 👀

edit: there's Monster Hunter Stories amiibo too

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

goferchan posted:

There will be a Solaire amiibo at that point too 👀

Solaire is a reasonable bet for Smash I think. Holy poo poo, I can't believe I actually believe that. :psyduck:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Pirate Captain posted:

BotW is the best 3D Zelda but still kind of boring. Skyrim is the best RPG on Switch right now.

Lot of wrongness going on here.

If BotW is the best 3D Zelda, but it is boring, how can it be the best when Ocarina, WW and MM are not boring? It's because BotW is NOT the best 3d Zelda. It's the best open world Zelda. That's it. It's probably the worst of the Zeldas in terms of being an actual Zelda game, though. And Skyrim is terrible.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

THE loving MOON posted:

It's great, but it's too turtley. I'd like to see a better risk/reward payoff.

What the hell does turtley mean

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Not a Children posted:

Shovel Knight is a great candidate, but does that series really have that kind of sway?

He was the first non-Nintendo amiibo, wasn't he? He's also a cameo in a ton of other indie games. Plus, Bit Trip Runner got a trophy in Smash 4 so Nintendo has an eye on the indie scene.

Shovel Knight is prolific, one of the most successful faces of indie games, and has a certain amount of momentum to him. It might be a bit of a stretch, but I could see him making the cut and I'd be excited to play him.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Louisgod posted:

It rewards playing super, super defensively more than I'd like. :shrug:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Lot of wrongness going on here.

If BotW is the best 3D Zelda, but it is boring, how can it be the best when Ocarina, WW and MM are not boring? It's because BotW is NOT the best 3d Zelda. It's the best open world Zelda. That's it. It's probably the worst of the Zeldas in terms of being an actual Zelda game, though. And Skyrim is terrible.

:wrong:

Louisgod posted:

You can crawl forwards with a defensive shell instead of jumping around and taking risks and still win the majority of the time.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

He was the first non-Nintendo amiibo, wasn't he? He's also a cameo in a ton of other indie games. Plus, Bit Trip Runner got a trophy in Smash 4 so Nintendo has an eye on the indie scene.

Shovel Knight is prolific, one of the most successful faces of indie games, and has a certain amount of momentum to him. It might be a bit of a stretch, but I could see him making the cut and I'd be excited to play him.

Getting a trophy, or even an assist trophy, is a chasm away from being a playable character. That said, I'd love to see SK playable.

Is Shovel Knight big in Japan?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Another reason to wait on XB2 is it's still receiving much needed QoL patches periodically whereas Zelda is baked to perfection.

And is a much fresher experience. Avoid the internet for the best Zelda experience. Read up heavily on the esoteric and poorly explained but good systems in XB2.

The local thread is pretty good about avoiding spoilers early on.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Not a Children posted:

One of Smash Bros' primary purposes is to advertise other Nintendo properties, so I wouldn't count on more than 4-5 non-Nintendo characters making it in, and even then, they've always been HUGE names. It's not, like, a coincidence that the 3rd party characters to make it in were Snake, Sonic, Ryu, Pac Man, Mega Man, and Cloud.

Yes absolutely.

I'm not joking here or just like, being hopeful. I think Shovel Knight has a real chance of getting in. I honestly think a lot of you guys are underestimating the possibility 3rd parties getting in, especially indie 3rd parties. But I'm also being hopeful with most of that, but Shovel Knight I will honestly be legit surprised if he's not in the game. I know this is a Nintendo game first and for most but Smash is now on its possibly 5th installment. The Switch has become a system with HUGE indie support and certain bigger indie games, like Shovel Knight, Shantae or Undertale I'm sure have caught the eye of Nintendo by now. Both Shovel Knight and Undertale especially were finally translated over to Japan in between this new Smash and the previous one so both games have hit a large audience over there too

Like honestly this isn't the Smash of yesteryear where even Sonic being in the game was regulated to an april fools joke. 3rd party characters are a much more realistic option now than they ever were before

THE loving MOON posted:

Solaire is a reasonable bet for Smash I think. Holy poo poo, I can't believe I actually believe that. :psyduck:

And yes this too 100%. Solair, Shovel Knight and a Rabbid of some sort are sure things for Smash I'm betting. Frankly maybe even Crash Bandicoot.

That all being said I still really want them to put Captain Toad in the game. I liked the idea of his "jump" being just standing on one of those copter platforms that you would blow into the WiiU to make move

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 15, 2018

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Shovel knight has a dang amiibo he's a shoe-in

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I can't believe Namco bribed CDPR to pull Geralt from Smash and put him in Soul Calibur instead :argh:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Pac-Man CE 2 got a patch, only played a bit handheld now but seems like most of the slowdowns in single player score attack are gone. Can’t tell if 2P got an improvement, still feels a bit slow and the cutscene eating definitely still drops frames.

And Floor Kids is on sale for $13.33! Been waiting for a sale to try that one out.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

You can crawl forwards with a defensive shell instead of jumping around and taking risks and still win the majority of the time.

Ah got it. I like to watch the highlights from tournaments and don't really see the defensive aspects but that's competitive play.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Going by the advertising properties reasoning, shovel knight is probably the best choice to represent indie games since it's probably second to iassac in popularity, and lol at the thought of that making its way in

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Shovel Knight is two things:

Prolific
Wholesome

Shantae is also similar (with air quotes around the "wholesome" one), but I fear has much less sway. I love both equally but I'd hand it to SK if I had to choose.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Not a Children posted:

Is Shovel Knight big in Japan?

I looked around for this and found this:

quote:

We were definitely happy with the game's reception. Famitsu even sent us an award! It was super cool! The game didn't sell as many units as our wildest dreams, but it did have a solid showing.

So it at least did well, if not gangbusters. This interview was back in 2016, so it could have done even better by now. I also stumbled across this tidbit about Shovel Knight selling over 1 million copies, also in 2016:

quote:

"Steam is our best seller, but it's also benefited the most from discounted sales," he wrote. "In an average month, Nintendo 3DS almost sells twice as much as Steam."

I'm pushing Shovel Knight because he would rule in Smash and so would the remixes of his soundtrack.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

THE loving MOON posted:

Rex/Pyra or maybe just Pyra are totally gonna be in Smash. Even odds on Shulk being in too

I'd wager they go for a Pokemon Trainer style character, with the Blade standing in the background while Rex fights swapping between Pyra/Mythra and maybe one other. And probably Pneuma being the Final Smash.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd wager they go for a Pokemon Trainer style character, with the Blade standing in the background while Rex fights swapping between Pyra/Mythra and maybe one other. And probably Pneuma being the Final Smash.

That'd be like, the ideal way to do it. I'd play the poo poo out of that Rex.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's a lot of energy spaghetti in 8-player smash, but I'd be down for something like this.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Takoluka posted:

When Snake, Cloud, Ryu, and Bayonetta showed up in Smash, the game basically opened itself up to literally any contender. Geralt wasn't likely by any stretch, but it was a non-zero chance.

When [extremely famous and iconic characters] showed up in Smash, the game basically opened itself up to [my favourite not-very-famous character].

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

L-block for smash

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

So i'm about 4 hours into XBC2 and everytime I fight an enemy I kill them before I can get past "level 1" of my special ability (I hope you guys know what this means I'm blanking on the specific terms). Is this normal or am I doing something wrong where I can never get to II, III etc?

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
la noire is $36 on amazon. i bought it.

new sales today right? around what time do they get posted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Supercar Gautier posted:

When [extremely famous and iconic characters] showed up in Smash, the game basically opened itself up to [my favourite not-very-famous character].

Do you honestly view Geralt as "not-very-famous" cause if so I think you're insane. Same with like Solaire. Same for a lot of the indies mentioned, Shovel Knight, Shantae, an Undertale rep (Papyrus or Undyne). These are all reasonably big and popular characters. It's not like people are going "Cloud got in, so Mea from Night in the Woods is a shoe in!".

I mean obviously Gregg would be the one getting in

• Locked thread