Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Beasteh posted:

The champ needs to be handled by slowly carefully nudging him down to his 50% enrage, building up resources like dex/calipers block, and saving piercing wails/malaises etc to debuff his rear end the moment you see that 25x3 scythe

Every time I try to slow-play him like that he just casts Metallicize a bunch of times and welp now I'm trying to beat his enrage against 10-15 block every turn so I'm not sure. Most of the times I beat him, he simply doesn't attack like that, which is almost more frustrating -- his attacks are just random, so sometimes he'll execute twice in three turns with another attack in the middle, and sometimes he'll debuff a couple times in a row and give enough breathing room to actually nail him.

Meanwhile, Bronze Automaton only does 50 damage with Hyper Beam and he gets a stun afterward and can't do it again for like five turns so it's just a free pass to the next act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

A Moose posted:

Also, in a different run, I had a spot weakness that only ever showed up when Lagavulin was casting his debuff. Spot Weakness is actually a garbage card that should never be picked. Its a dead card WAY more often than anybody expects.
I agree with this. It's such a damned trap.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If you land Spot Weakness even once it pays for itself more than Inflame so :shrug:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

If you land Spot Weakness even once it pays for itself more than Inflame so :shrug:

Yeah but you can't keep drawing inflame after you play it once. The fight against Lagavulin I wish I had Inflame instead because my actual win condition was Limit Break+ but I only had Spot Weakness to start it off. Lots of times if you can't land Spot Weakness the first time you draw it you just lose.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
I had a run where spot weakness was a godsend. Started the run with a limit break from the whale and picked up a reaper halfway through act I. But I couldn't find any strength cards until a spot weakness just before the first boss.

Kind of an extreme case though and I still would have preferred inflame.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Shabadu posted:

Oh and True Grit+ is where it's at, un-upgraded True Grit is not very good.

I'd totally forgotten that True Grit+ let you select the card you exhaust - will definitely give it another look in that case. The last couple of times I'd taken it I hadn't upgraded it and had been annoyed by some of the randomised exhausts I got. Appreciate the responses.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Looks like the beta branch changed Exploders, now they explode after 3 turns for 30 damage and have less health.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
The issues with spot weakness are 1) You can't always use it when it's in your hand and 2) It's an offensive buff that's only usable when you're under attack, at which point you probably want something defensive. Adding to that, the time when you'd want to use it (when you don't have to defend) is the time you don't get to.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RyokoTK posted:

Looks like the beta branch changed Exploders, now they explode after 3 turns for 30 damage and have less health.

And presumably no longer explode on death?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Jedit posted:

And presumably no longer explode on death?

Correct, if you kill them before the fuse burns you don't take the explode damage.

I like the change a lot more already. The 2 explodyboy/2 thornyboy fight in act 3 is a tedious chore, this change makes it a lot more time-sensitive.

e: Also according to patch notes from a couple days ago the Champ behavior of execute-attack-execute is now less random, so that's intended, which lmao that's garbage. If you can't top-deck your good debuffs in the middle of a fight you eat 140 damage in three turns, good stuff.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 15, 2018

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
lmao if you're trying to 'top-deck' things.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
in other news, i've begun getting winstreaks again. getting more disciplined about picks was big. I also rolled the dice on snecko eye and coasted to an easy win after getting a bunch of good ironclad 3's.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
Got the Mummified Hand and decided to go nuts on Powers with an Ironclad. Runic Cube helped too. Last two fights before the final boss, I got two Ruptures.

The boss was the Awakened One(of course) but it didn't matter. I just kept throwing powers like a madman and my damage was just too high for him to keep up with even with the buff. I may be getting the hang or this game or may just be very lucky.

Halser fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 15, 2018

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

power word- Jeb! posted:

I had a run where spot weakness was a godsend. Started the run with a limit break from the whale and picked up a reaper halfway through act I. But I couldn't find any strength cards until a spot weakness just before the first boss.

Kind of an extreme case though and I still would have preferred inflame.

I think Inflame is better, much better with Limit Break, but they both serve their purpose. One Inflame is not going to keep pace with some of the ramping bosses/elites but Spot Weakness can carry you easily.

Also True Grit is fantastic once upgraded, particularly vs wounds/burns and as a companion to Rampage. You can even run two or three and when your deck is getting small just use one to exhaust the other.

I’m also a big fan of Feel No Pain, with or without grit, as it trivializes almost any encounter where Daze is an issue, which includes Donu and Deca, the three spire elites in A1, and the annoying Hex guy in A2. The daze guys in act 3 also don’t need to be rushed down as fast.

I’m also a big fan of Power Through with enough exhaust or the shop relic that lets you play status effects so you can control your wounds. It’s a very powerful play for the energy and adding exhaust fodder to your hand to set up a bigger field fire, for instance, is great. Wild Strike is much worse as it puts the card into your draw pile which is almost always a negative unless you have evolve already played.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I've been messing around lately with getting Ironclad Exhaust to work consistently, and Feel No Pain has risen to the top alongside 1st copy of Corruption as snap picks. It enables so so much for smooth runs.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

At what point do you guys lock your build usually? What cards really pull you towards a certain build?

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

AnacondaHL posted:

I've been messing around lately with getting Ironclad Exhaust to work consistently, and Feel No Pain has risen to the top alongside 1st copy of Corruption as snap picks. It enables so so much for smooth runs.

Feel No Pain and Juggernaut is hilarious.

For Ironclad Exhaust, do you care for stuff like Flex or is it not worth it due to exhausts? I tried building it once and I was often left defenseless and my damage output from Sever Soul and Rampage wasn't really enough.

Also first try on Ascension 1, first victory :toot:

Got the "deal damage on discard" relic and two Thousand Cuts. Thank god I didn't get the Time Eater as boss, I played fifteen cards a turn most of the time.

Halser fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 15, 2018

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Flex is never a dead draw unless you don't have any attacks in your hand, and if that's the case you're not doing a good job of exhausting. :v: It's a good card.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

RyokoTK posted:

Flex is never a dead draw unless you don't have any attacks in your hand, and if that's the case you're not doing a good job of exhausting. :v: It's a good card.

I guess Flex is a bad example considering how obviously good it is. What about stuff like Shrug it Off and Flame Barrier, though?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There are no bad skills in an exhaust deck since if you have Corruption, they're never dead, and you can play them and get them out of the way forever. :shrug:

Shrug it Off is fantastic because it replaces itself; Flame Barrier is phenomenal because it's very powerful and offers a substantial thorns effect. Nothing is a dead draw. Edge-case cards like Ghost Armor (which is only a good card because of its energy efficiency) kind of lose its potency by Corruption, but so what? It's still a free 10 block. You need to support Corruption with either something to preserve your block (so, Barricade or Calipers) or a mountain of firepower so you can alpha-strike the gently caress out of enemies once all of your namby-pamby block cards are burned out of your deck.

If you're going to roll with Corruption as your exhaust engine then you don't really benefit from other exhaust cards (like True Grit, Sever Soul, Fiend Fire, etc) because the whole point of exhaust cards is purging low-value chaff from your deck, and nothing does that better than Corruption, which gets to actually use the card for free and purge it at the same time. You can roll an exhaust-focused deck around wound cards like Evolve, Power Through, and Immolate/Fiend Fire and have a very powerful exhaust engine just on purging wounds/curses and nothing else.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 15, 2018

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I'll give an exhaust build another try if I ever stumble upon the right relics. With Feel No Pain, Corruption and Barricade you should get insane amounts of armor, though you'd probably need a few Offerings in order to actually get and play all that before you take too much damage.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The lesson I learned for Barricade decks was keep them thin so that you can get your Barricade (and Entrench+) engine up and running asap. Not on, uh, turn 5.

RIP Ascension 6 run.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

The lesson I learned for Barricade decks was keep them thin so that you can get your Barricade (and Entrench+) engine up and running asap. Not on, uh, turn 5.

RIP Ascension 6 run.

I have a screen shot earlier from a run with 3 entrenches but the deck had 1 strike and a body slam + as the ONLY attacks. You don't really need a thin deck, you need a deck that can always get to Barricade and Entrench and where Entrench isn't a dead draw. If you are all defensive cards you can just stall to Barricade even if the deck is large, or in my case, lacked card draw. The only attacks you should be looking at are Body Slam and Pommel Strike.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I said I'd try an exhaust deck again today.
Then I got Corruption(Bottled, of course), Dead Branch and Charon's Ashes. Holy poo poo, absolutely insane. The turns just never ended.

I also had a good thing going with an Anger + Medical Kit + Unceasing Top deck earlier, but it wasn't thin enough to actually go infinite before I bit the dust.
I just love how suddenly you can find yourself with an unbeatable deck.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Halser posted:

I'll give an exhaust build another try if I ever stumble upon the right relics. With Feel No Pain, Corruption and Barricade you should get insane amounts of armor, though you'd probably need a few Offerings in order to actually get and play all that before you take too much damage.

Exhaust decks are great until you get to a boss fight or Nemesis or Giant Head if you didn't bring some serious firepower. So, try to bring attack cards that work well with exhaust, such as rampage. The problem you're going to hit is when you're fighting someone like the Champ and your deck is burned out of block cards while he still has >50% hp left and then he pulls his execute and drops you on the spot because you destroyed all your cards.

Flex is a good card in some decks, but a if not a dead draw then a sub-optimal draw in many other decks. If you have more card draw than energy it's good, if you have more energy than draw it's bad. Unlike Silent, Ironclad decks are really reliant on the luck of the draft for getting battle trance or something else that has flex synergy. I would love flex in a Silent deck, maybe some day we'll get a daily challenge where that happens.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I finally tried a Snecko Eye deck today... wow, I can't believe I was so skittish to try this card. Zero energy heavy blade all day.

FAKE EDIT: Pretty mad I took Madness, though. My attempts to Google it falsely indicated it would still work properly with confusion.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Halser posted:

No, Offering is not required to make these decks work.

Exhaust decks aren't necessarily Barricade decks. They are primarily strength stacking decks that create a good base for the widest range of strength stacking (Demon Form, or Limit Break, or standard Inflame, or Spot Weakness/Flex + Exhume), opposed to something like Whirlwind that can't stack strength in all those ways, but also allow for Barricade to have value. If you don't have Barricade, you just simply don't play your armor skills and discard them rather than exhaust them.

In other words, the only Relic that is off limits is the no Intents Energy relic (given the likely case of no Barricade or Dead Branch), because you need to be able to play exactly as much as you need to every given turn.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Ithle01 posted:

Exhaust decks are great until you get to a boss fight or Nemesis or Giant Head if you didn't bring some serious firepower. So, try to bring attack cards that work well with exhaust, such as rampage.

I disagree, I have never once struggled against Nemesis or Giant Head using Exhaust. Your firepower should be strength stacking, which is the actual core of the Exhaust deck.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Crescent Wrench posted:

FAKE EDIT: Pretty mad I took Madness, though. My attempts to Google it falsely indicated it would still work properly with confusion.

I seem to remember it working at one point, maybe they changed it?

I thought anything that directly overrides a normal card cost takes priority over Confusion -- so like Infernal Blade, Madness, Setup, etc.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

I disagree, I have never once struggled against Nemesis or Giant Head using Exhaust. Your firepower should be strength stacking, which is the actual core of the Exhaust deck.

I've had trouble with Giant Head for some reason, but yeah now that I think about it new Nemesis isn't that bad. I've gotten wrecked by his old version just because only being able to hit every three rounds filled my deck with burns. I usually go barricade with exhaust decks, but I'll have to give strength a try because you seem like you probably win more than I do.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

I seem to remember it working at one point, maybe they changed it?

I thought anything that directly overrides a normal card cost takes priority over Confusion -- so like Infernal Blade, Madness, Setup, etc.

Little things like this definitely change. Madness used to override Snecko and now it only does for the turn you cast it. They also changed how Snecko and Innate cards work.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
If you take Snecko Eye and manage to beat the game with it then you're a better man than I am. The one time I tried it, it was "3 energy 0 cost cards, 3 energy 3 cost cards" all the way through.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It took 18 tries, but I finally managed to punch that heart.

Blur is nice when it lets you just be perma-armoured most of the time.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Halser posted:

If you take Snecko Eye and manage to beat the game with it then you're a better man than I am. The one time I tried it, it was "3 energy 0 cost cards, 3 energy 3 cost cards" all the way through.

Snecko eye on average gives you a better turn than you would have without it. The problem is you're doubling your RNG, so you need to draw the right cards and get the energy costs to line up. It only takes a couple bad hands to ruin a run so while the ol' snecko decko is super fun and can be very strong it can also be really dishearting.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Today's daily is pretty interesting, but the 50-card deck you start with has very little blocking power, so I made it to Donudeca and just got smoked.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Got Time Eater, he didn't stand a chance against Exhaust*8.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

Today's daily is pretty interesting, but the 50-card deck you start with has very little blocking power, so I made it to Donudeca and just got smoked.

Odd, I had Time Eater. It definitely had low block, I was picking every Cloak & Dagger / whatever the block4+4 is to go with all the Footworks. Careful Shiv management to end turns with sensible play counts, especially with Frozen Eye - if next turn has calculated Gamble into Skewer it's good to be at 10, etc.

edit: finished with a lovely 79 card deck. :)

rchandra fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 16, 2018

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Is it just me or is Masterful Stab garbage? I ended up losing a run due to Pandora's Box transforming 3 of my 5 strikes (hadn't had a chance to replace them yet) into Masterful Stabs. Not being able to use them even if they're the only card type present in your hand seems really limiting (especially when compared to clash).

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Falcorum posted:

Is it just me or is Masterful Stab garbage? I ended up losing a run due to Pandora's Box transforming 3 of my 5 strikes (hadn't had a chance to replace them yet) into Masterful Stabs. Not being able to use them even if they're the only card type present in your hand seems really limiting (especially when compared to clash).

it's a bit unfair to compare an Ironclad attack card with a Silent one. Just look at Whirlwind vs. Skewer.
Masterful Stab might be interesting on a deck with relatively low card draw(for a silent deck). Not sure if it's good otherwise.

Also, I did the daily and got wiped quite quickly by the Time Eater. I was living in borrowed time, though, since the only thing that killed the Automaton before he nuked me was Panache triggering on the very last card of my hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Falcorum posted:

Is it just me or is Masterful Stab garbage?

yeap. It's too narrow. I'd only take it in an Unceasing Top deck.