Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

I mean, is there even a car in existence that would not dent if you dropped a bowling ball on it from 20 ft up? Tanks don't count and neither do those stupid armored car refits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

FizFashizzle posted:

This is completely loving insanity.

Apparently it's based on a real "test" where something about the same size and shape of a bowling ball is fired at the car, to test for pedestrian safety. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBBlw3z8hsg

Someone probably told Trump about the test and used a bowling ball analogy to explain it. Naturally, his mush-brain translated "kind of a like a bowling ball" to "they literally drop a bowling ball on it David Letterman style".

edit: oh poo poo dog tax

48 Hour Boner fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 15, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Xequecal posted:

I honestly can't even comprehend of a school that actually just straight up expels you for getting arrested once with no charges even being filed. I got a MIP in 11th grade and certainly didn't get expelled for it, if getting arrested was instant expulsion a third of my graduating class wouldn't have made it out.

What, you mean people of colour are treated worse by institutions that are by and large designed to keep them downtrodden than white people?

:thunk:

I'm fuckin' shocked!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Xequecal posted:

I honestly can't even comprehend of a school that actually just straight up expels you for getting arrested once with no charges even being filed. I got a MIP in 11th grade and certainly didn't get expelled for it, if getting arrested was instant expulsion a third of my graduating class wouldn't have made it out.

But you're cool with the cops arresting her and her friends for no reason?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Xequecal posted:

http://nation.time.com/2013/06/13/when-you-can-kill-in-texas/

Now, I certainly don't agree with this law. But it's a real thing.

Please shut the gently caress up, this is just more justifying Stand Your Ground bullshit laws. Go away.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Xequecal posted:

https://www.aclu.org/news/aclu-challenges-south-carolina-disturbing-schools-law

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

These sanctions, unless I'm mistaken, are just the sanctions congress passed that he refused to enact before?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Xequecal posted:

It's as if you've been privileged your entire life, for some reason.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Caros posted:

Aquitted of all charges, yeah. Welcome to America.

Cop has sleeve tattoos, "YOU'RE hosed" etched into his AR-15 rifle, is scared for his life of a crying man begging him not to shoot.

Maybe they should stop making pussies cops then

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Xequecal posted:

masturbating in public?

does anyone else get exhausted thinking about this stupid administration? Like it feels like so much time has passed but it's actually only been a year and two months

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I don't much appreciate the president of the United States not commenting on the random bombing murders of African Americans in the highly segregated city of Austin.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ague Proof posted:

In Japan they test cars by dropping bags of drugs on them. That's why we need Transformers to patrol the borders.

I've seen that smug "take Trump seriously, not literally" line again from his apologists, it's really annoying and dumb.

https://twitter.com/mtm150/status/974265940194902016

To which the answer would be a resounding "...yes?"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nail Rat posted:

Cop has sleeve tattoos, "YOU'RE hosed" etched into his AR-15 rifle, is scared for his life of a crying man begging him not to shoot.

Maybe they should stop making pussies cops then

Don't forget the giant Punisher logo with a thin blue line in it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PT6A posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Toxic masculinity isn't caused by an excess of testosterone, it's caused by a society that pressures people to act in a certain way.

See, most people use it as a metaphor but we're getting warned by a physical cast of toxic masculinity. Testosterone overdose.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

masturbating in public?

does anyone else get exhausted thinking about this stupid administration? Like it feels like so much time has passed but it's actually only been a year and two months

Minor in possession (of alcohol) probably.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

WoodrowSkillson posted:

and defended the loving Palisade of Potted Plants

My fiancee' s brother lived right around the block from that nonsense. The difference when you cross that invisible border line right around Mack rd is insane.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

But you're cool with the cops arresting her and her friends for no reason?

Not to play devils advocate because what happened to KM is horrible, but it sounds like standard procedure to apprehend anyone who fits the description of the subject, it's just that cops are generally racist and can't tell black people apart.

I dont think immediately pulling multiple loving guns on literal children over a car robbing is above-the-board (on paper, ofc cops aren't punished for anything not done to other cops), though.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Either someone in the administration is about to get fired or Donny is shook as gently caress because something else is about to drop.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Carlosologist posted:

masturbating in public?

Dude politics used to be my hobby

now it's something I have to actively work to make time in the day when I'm NOT thinking about it

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

Not to play devils advocate because what happened to KM is horrible, but it sounds like standard procedure to apprehend anyone who fits the description of the subject, it's just that cops are generally racist and can't tell black people apart.

I dont think immediately pulling multiple loving guns on literal children over a car robbing is above-the-board (on paper, ofc cops aren't punished for anything not done to other cops), though.

So you think that the non-violent crime of stealing a car should be met with death machines. Okay cool go gently caress yourself.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

See, most people use it as a metaphor but we're getting warned by a physical cast of toxic masculinity. Testosterone overdose.

Too many young men nowadays are emulating Bane and becoming thirty foot luchadores. For the sake of our children Trump MUST ban the sale of Venom immediately!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

So you think that the non-violent crime of stealing a car should be met with death machines. Okay cool go gently caress yourself.

...did you read the second paragraph?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean, is there even a car in existence that would not dent if you dropped a bowling ball on it from 20 ft up? Tanks don't count and neither do those stupid armored car refits.

No.

Dropping a larger/heavier bowling ball on something like The Beast might leave a dent too, though not enough to affect the vehicle's operation.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Gynocentric Regime posted:

Absolutely, if I was making a hierarchy it would be so difficult to decide if racism or toxic masculinity should be #1 or #2.

From posting so I can't quite get injured at work, but I actually have a definitive answer to this argument. In Accelerated Christian Education the officially endorsed curriculum of white supremacist homeschoolers FYI) is a comic where it shows a white male pastor and a black male Pastor explaining the political process to a white woman, the black Pastor is explaining why he is being led by God to support the white Pastor for political office, and the woman is asking naive questions to the both of them. I would argue that this demonstrates that misogyny is actually more important than racism.

The black pastor is allowed to be a pastor and sabolich Lee a leader within his own community, but only so long as he uses that authority to support the white male. The female is depicted as being somewhat inferior to both of them in this comic.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Is this the same thing as imposing sanctions on RUSSIA or is it just on RUSSIANS

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Poque posted:

Is this the same thing as imposing sanctions on RUSSIA or is it just on RUSSIANS

The latter. It's soft.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Asking a woke person: I feel like more white people would agree with the statement that PoC's are systematically oppressed than the statement that white people are privileged, because the concept of privilege is more foggy than the concept of oppression, and most white people would probably rather look at the issue as one of eliminating oppression than removing their own privilege. Is there subtextual difference between these two concepts that I'm missing or can I use them interchangeably in conversations?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 minutes!
when the gently caress do we hear about PA-18

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

now it's something I have to actively work to make time in the day when I'm NOT thinking about it

i first started reading the news when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "politics" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "trump" and "this is fine" in my head for hours...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Dietrich posted:

Asking a woke person: I feel like more white people would agree with the statement that PoC's are systematically oppressed than the statement that white people are privileged, because the concept of privilege is more foggy than the concept of oppression, and most white people would probably rather look at the issue as one of eliminating oppression than removing their own privilege. Is there subtextual difference between these two concepts that I'm missing or can I use them interchangeably in conversations?

The problem is that those idiots you’re describing look at the world and say “I can’t imagine this ever happening, it’s never happened to me.” Like forums poster xwhatever his name is.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I remember 2016 I was like oh cool I'll vote for Bernie and then Hillary if Bernie loses. Trump winning really brought out all the nasty, subtle poo poo in our political process and I have no idea if this will be good or bad in the long run. But if the kids are an indicator of anything...

like seriously I used to not care about politics but now I'm really trying my best to learn stuff in the event that my students ask questions about real world poo poo that affects them

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

when the gently caress do we hear about PA-18

Feels like the GOP's going to do anything they can to prevent Lamb from being seated until the district goes away, so probably when the issue reaches the PA supreme court for a smack down.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I also think oppression is something you can "see" whereas privilege is basically invisible.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t get the concern about people move because when these tests are talking about ancestry they are talking about like 10000-50000 years ago. It literally doesn’t matter that your great great great ancestors moved from modern day France to modern day Spain because these tests don’t provide that information.

Second, if you’re using the results of these tests as a conclusive fact then you’re doing it wrong.

Except every single one of these companies is advertising the service as a "find your ethnicity" tool

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Dietrich posted:

While I cant speak for everyone, I think a big hurdle in the use of privilege in discussions ends up being the implication rather than right/wrong; the idea that even though they might be poor, they're well-off because they're white, for example.

A part of it might be the single-faceted explanation of privilege; when explaining the concept to others a common response has been "oh, so a poor white is better off than a rich black?", which then requires explaining that they're both privileged and handicapped in different ways that are relevant to different scenarios (such as police survival, or healthcare costs).

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I hate that I had to check to see if this was an Alexandra Petri article.

I hate even more that it was not.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Um...

https://twitter.com/ShawnRobb3/status/974322494629928960?s=19

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

This week is loving terrifying.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

:stare:

Nothing matters? Or does this, y'know...matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

This is terrifying but... like.......... i'm not surprised at all?

• Locked thread