Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lmao maybe if the federation paid better then people who aren't loving stiffs wouldn't prefer playing video games over being bullied by autistic children while sitting on their rear end staring out a window just so that when someone finally gets around to saying "warp nine" there's someone to press a button in their voice activated spaceship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Red Squad was the zenith of the federation's research into voice activated autstic bully technology.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

All of the above may be true but in the 24th century there is no excuse for greed, prejudice, hate, and coming in late for work.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Automatic Slim posted:

All of the above may be true but in the 24th century there is no excuse for greed, prejudice, hate, and coming in late for work.

Yes there is.

If I was someone's boss and I said "Simon, why the gently caress are you late for your shift?"

And he said "Sorry lieutenant, I had holodeck time booked out weeks in advance (because you know the senior dudes hog the time?) and I was in a 28 way fuckfest orgy with the most beautiful women you've ever seen and I lost track of time".

I'd just be like "Cool. Uhh I don't suppose you have a copy of that program do you?"

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I need to watch some BSG/Caprica after I finish ENDGAME.

Which I havn't yet. Gonna watch it on my big living room TV, maybe invite some of my friends over to take part in the spectacle.

And then I will never, ever, ever, watch Voyager again.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nobody organises an intervention when weeks of productivity are lost due to Potatoes throwing out his shoulder for the nth time while jerking it to the holo he programmed of his wife just letting him have a moment's peace on the couch.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Amazing how Miles' injuries line up exactly with someone aggressively sweeping a holographic botanical garden with a heavy shoulder-strapped flamethrower and not ever in the shoulder-elbow-wrist-fingers full chain arm trauma you'd typically find in white water kayaking.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
up to s2e15 of Voyager

yup, that's right

IT'S HABBENING

ITS

THRESHOLD

and baby, this episode is 5 million gigaquads of.AWESOME

lol at paris is mutating and disintegrating in sickbay, he just said "it's funny, what k remember most about my childhood is the time i spent alone in my room crying"

then he died, and now hes got two hearts like dr who, I love how dumb and goddamn crazy mutant paris is

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
and there goes his tongue

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

shadow puppet of a posted:

Amazing how Miles' injuries line up exactly with someone aggressively sweeping a holographic botanical garden with a heavy shoulder-strapped flamethrower and not ever in the shoulder-elbow-wrist-fingers full chain arm trauma you'd typically find in white water kayaking.

During that trial for Worf in DS9 where they try and prove how ruthless he is they talk about how he repeatedly runs a holodeck program where is the general of an army and decides to burn a city full of civilians after winning a battle.

O'Brien and Bashir apparently replay the Alamo and other battles where they got to kill thousands of enemies.

But the real problem here is that a guy with anxiety issues made Riker a wimp. Computer, Override holodeck locks authorization Riker Alpha Zeta Three and inform the entire command staff Lt Barclay punched me out in a holoprogram. Have my ex-girlfriend tell everyone he is insane. Issue a formal condemnation on his record and inform starfleet to give him poo poo about this for decades.

This high road only has one destination. Also load Hologram-I'm-Literally-In-Love-With in holodeck two. Shut down Geordi's creepy sexualized holograms that are talking about being touched if you have to.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 15, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda weird that the whole trial is a Klingon lawyer insisting that Worf as a Klingon will obviously act within Klingon racial stereotypes and sensibilities. (albiet ones they see as positive and also advantageous to play up in this scenario) In what amounts to a case of collateral damage of a civilian vessel somehow dumb enough to be within a thousand space miles of a warzone and also cloaked.

Also, the last episode has Ezri gently mock Bashir for how he and O'Brien always pick losing battles as holodeck scenarios. I'm surprised they never had another Klingon curious about the human historical battle scenarios they keep getting dressed up for. (Worf of course already knows about it and it's no novelty)

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

:jeb: : I understand! the present, the past, they're both in the future! and the future is in the past!"

Dr: :chloe:

:jeb: : "I am EVERYTHING!!!!"

lmfao
chakotay: I can't tell which salamander monster is the captain!

tuvok: the female, obviously

jfc this is all so ridiculous

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Gatekeeper posted:

:jeb: : I understand! the present, the past, they're both in the future! and the future is in the past!"

Dr: :chloe:

:jeb: : "I am EVERYTHING!!!!"

lmfao
chakotay: I can't tell which salamander monster is the captain!

tuvok: the female, obviously

jfc this is all so ridiculous

Just wait for all of the exciting things they do with the technology that can instantaneously travel to any point in the entire universe that was refined to be as simple as Tom just ultrawarping himself to a planet to gently caress Janeway whenever he felt like it.

Once they look into automated transports to avoid the biological effects or use the slightest bit of science to try and address the biological effects things really get interesting!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Just wait for all of the exciting things they do with the technology that can instantaneously travel to any point in the entire universe that was refined to be as simple as Tom just ultrawarping himself to a planet to gently caress Janeway whenever he felt like it.

Once they look into automated transports to avoid the biological effects or use the slightest bit of science to try and address the biological effects things really get interesting!

It's magic I think like if you sent the Doctor he'd turn into a game boy or some poo poo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

shovelbum posted:

It's magic I think like if you sent the Doctor he'd turn into a game boy or some poo poo

This would make a way better episode.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

Kinda weird that the whole trial is a Klingon lawyer insisting that Worf as a Klingon will obviously act within Klingon racial stereotypes and sensibilities. (albiet ones they see as positive and also advantageous to play up in this scenario) In what amounts to a case of collateral damage of a civilian vessel somehow dumb enough to be within a thousand space miles of a warzone and also cloaked.

Also, the last episode has Ezri gently mock Bashir for how he and O'Brien always pick losing battles as holodeck scenarios. I'm surprised they never had another Klingon curious about the human historical battle scenarios they keep getting dressed up for. (Worf of course already knows about it and it's no novelty)

You'd think O'Brien and Bashir would've asked, "Hey, Worf. We're doing the Khitomer Massacre this weekend. Want to come with? You can play your dad." This would be the greatest bonding moment ever or Worf would eviscerate the two with his bare hands on the spot.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Automatic Slim posted:

You'd think O'Brien and Bashir would've asked, "Hey, Worf. We're doing the Khitomer Massacre this weekend. Want to come with? You can play your dad." This would be the greatest bonding moment ever or Worf would eviscerate the two with his bare hands on the spot.

Either way, it would have un-ruined Worf for me.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

During that trial for Worf in DS9 where they try and prove how ruthless he is they talk about how he repeatedly runs a holodeck program where is the general of an army and decides to burn a city full of civilians after winning a battle.

O'Brien and Bashir apparently replay the Alamo and other battles where they got to kill thousands of enemies.

But the real problem here is that a guy with anxiety issues made Riker a wimp. Computer, Override holodeck locks authorization Riker Alpha Zeta Three and inform the entire command staff Lt Barclay punched me out in a holoprogram. Have my ex-girlfriend tell everyone he is insane. Issue a formal condemnation on his record and inform starfleet to give him poo poo about this for decades.

This high road only has one destination. Also load Hologram-I'm-Literally-In-Love-With in holodeck two. Shut down Geordi's creepy sexualized holograms that are talking about being touched if you have to.

There's a difference between having a lovely day at work then coming home to play Call of Duty for awhile, and having a lovely day at work then coming hope to meticulously recreate the scenarios of your day except this time instead of stuttering and avoiding eye contact with everyone, you punch out your boss and gently caress your coworker right there on her desk.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

counterfeitsaint posted:

There's a difference between having a lovely day at work then coming home to play Call of Duty for awhile, and having a lovely day at work then coming hope to meticulously recreate the scenarios of your day except this time instead of stuttering and avoiding eye contact with everyone, you punch out your boss and gently caress your coworker right there on her desk.

clearly you have never played the sims

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

counterfeitsaint posted:

And Barclay is considered strange?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

numberoneposter posted:

And then I will never, ever, ever, watch Voyager again.

dont do that

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The Tyranny of showing up NOT A MINUTE LATE has already been abolished at just about every above-min-wage job I've ever had. I would have assumed everyone has at least 45 min leeway in Trek.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Inescapable Duck posted:

The whole point was to set up Worf using the Federations prejudice against him.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Kitchner posted:

And he said "Sorry lieutenant, I had holodeck time booked out weeks in advance (because you know the senior dudes hog the time?) and I was in a 28 way fuckfest orgy with the most beautiful women you've ever seen and I lost track of time".

A... a 28 way fuckfest! On this stardate? On this duty shift? On this starship? Localized entirely within the holodeck?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Well Riker you are an odd fellow, but I must say you holo a good orgy

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
riker would never stoop so low as to have holodeck lovers. he must seduce the living to satisfy his rapacious lusts.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

What's in your Voyager top 5 must watch episodes??

naem
May 29, 2011

Gatekeeper posted:

Janeway is like "oh that's an easy one: the holodeck is basically a big replicator, and it needs raw material to make stuff for the program. Harry's corpse was probably broken down and recycled into that elk meat everyone is eating."

WAIT so if the holodeck is a replicator, it's making you real meat people, who are capable of being sentient, who you both gently caress and eat,,

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

naem posted:

WAIT so if the holodeck is a replicator, it's making you real meat people, who are capable of being sentient, who you both gently caress and eat,,

No the people aren't made of meat, they are still made of light, just objects you might manipulate and food you would eat are replicated

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kitchner posted:

Yes there is.

If I was someone's boss and I said "Simon, why the gently caress are you late for your shift?"

I'd just be like "Cool. Uhh I don't suppose you have a copy of that program do you?"

A more accurate statement would be "Sorry Lieutenant, I had holodeck time booked but it gained sentience when I was in the middle of my session and we had to have a long talk about the idea of consent when your partner is a set of photonic images projected into space, the nature of man's inhumanity to machine and after all that the exit door was jammed up by stray anti-tachyons. "

To which I would answer "What, again?"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish the holodecks actually mostly used replicators to make disturbing meat-puppets and mostly physical objects, saying that it's actually more realistic and less energy intensive for sessions over 20 min rather than sustaining force fields.

"computer, end program"
*all humanoid characters fall apart into piles of wet bloody meat, the general physical environment begins to be recycled causing it to look like silent hill for a few moments*

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

naem posted:

this is a good question

if you are in holodeck sherwood forrest and you decide to pluck an apple from a tree and take a bite does the holodeck replicate the matter or do you get a mouth full of force field?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

numberoneposter posted:

this is a good question

if you are in holodeck sherwood forrest and you decide to pluck an apple from a tree and take a bite does the holodeck replicate the matter or do you get a mouth full of force field?

I assumed this wasn't possible and you'd just get like tasteless texture but that stuff like ordering drinks in Vic Fontaines club gives the computer enough lead time to actually replicate something.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

numberoneposter posted:

this is a good question

There are examples of it being both. The answer, like all answers, is just whatever serves the story that week.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

captain, we have encountered some kind of plot device

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The General posted:

What's in your Voyager top 5 must watch episodes??

Deep Space 9

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

counterfeitsaint posted:

There are examples of it being both. The answer, like all answers, is just whatever serves the story that week.

I really like how holograms are alternately solid like regular objects are totally non-corporeal depending who wrote the episode. I also like how this culminated in the absurd ability of self-aware holograms being able to control whether they were solids or ghosts from moment to moment.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

DS9, season 3 episode Civil Defense in which DS9's old cardassian anti-riot systems get set off by accident, gul dukat shows up to gloat and gently caress around and gets accused of cowardice by a pre-recorded message and locked out of all systems himself.

the worm turning is a great little moment

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

basic hitler posted:

DS9, season 3 episode Civil Defense in which DS9's old cardassian anti-riot systems get set off by accident, gul dukat shows up to gloat and gently caress around and gets accused of cowardice by a pre-recorded message and locked out of all systems himself.

the worm turning is a great little moment

lmao agreed

He all walks up and starts smuggin all over them as the lasers are flying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chomp8645 posted:

I really like how holograms are alternately solid like regular objects are totally non-corporeal depending who wrote the episode. I also like how this culminated in the absurd ability of self-aware holograms being able to control whether they were solids or ghosts from moment to moment.

The holograms themselves are just light. However, the holodeck system also has force field projectors to make things feel solid. Sapient holograms are able to turn off the force field aspect of their projection.

The problem then is that punching a forcefield looks like this:

How you gonna gently caress a chick made out of forcefields?