Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the democrats want to suck the energy out of the room for people supporting medicare for all. even the disingenuous naming of medicare extra for all should tip you off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
democrats didn't kill the public option, connecticut for liebermaners killed the public option

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

There is an interview of Adam Curtis in the comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBy08P7tHPQ

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

democrats didn't kill the public option, connecticut for liebermaners killed the public option

wtf. I thought you considered yourself left of center. here you are trotting our tired Obama talking points.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
it doesn't really have anything to do with whether the individual dems are good or are bad, but rather how the institutional apparatuses that under-gird democratic power are responding to the current political environment

in other words, widespread m4a advocacy has forced mainstream dems to come up with a solid healthcare proposal. that's good.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

There is an interview of Adam Curtis in the comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBy08P7tHPQ

Clicking Twitter in awful app now takes me to Twitter login screen.

Cowards, I will never log in

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Dirk Pitt posted:

wtf. I thought you considered yourself left of center. here you are trotting our tired Obama talking points.

Man, it's almost as if his entire leftier-than-thou gimmick is a paper-thin attempt to distance himself from his history of smug centrism.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

it doesn't really have anything to do with whether the individual dems are good or are bad, but rather how the institutional apparatuses that under-gird democratic power are responding to the current political environment

in other words, widespread m4a advocacy has forced mainstream dems to come up with a solid healthcare proposal. that's good.
the dems are paid to have an opinion. the dems have a gigantic conflict of interest with the money and jobs they get from the industry. just look at how the brain worms have infested howard dean, now a literal healthcare industry lobbyist. the dems passed obamacare, a giant subsidy and giveaway to the industry. the dems will never pass a public option that would threaten their donors.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
didn't Curtis essentially say the same stuff on Chapo?

https://youtu.be/VW_R98EBO7s

do you really want change or do you want people to just be a little nicer

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

GalacticAcid posted:

yeah and this is the thread for making GBS threads on them for weaseling into a lovely third way "solution" not for backpatting their cowardice

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

dems are literally trying to co-opt and subvert the language of such otherwise easily understoom terms like "for all" and "universal" to mean not "for all" or "universal"

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

The sanders m4a bill is just sitting there waiting to be loved but sure let's discuss Medicare Platinum Club Plus Arcade Edition or whatever the gently caress

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
1) bernie gets elected president

2) ???

3) the democrats pass all of his proposals

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
Bernie must never be president.

America must be destroyed.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
sanders is far and away the best person in congress and he'd be able to do some good things as president, like make progressive appointments in the executive and judiciary, and hopefully draw down our imperial commitments somewhat

but i dont see how him being president helps pass m4a if you think the dems would oppose it

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

GalacticAcid posted:

2) he gets that hen

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

sanders is far and away the best person in congress and he'd be able to do some good things as president, like make progressive appointments in the executive and judiciary, and hopefully draw down our imperial commitments somewhat

but i dont see how him being president helps pass m4a if you think the dems would oppose it

The President, if he/she is anywhere near halfway competent (SEE: not Trump), gets an outsized amount of control over their party's agenda as its official leader. Unless centrist dems' corporate backers force a literal schism in the party, which is a distinct possibility (and possibly a best-case scenario in the long run), President Sanders gets a large amount of influence over what bills make it to the floor.

Expanding on that parenthetical, I think it would be a good outcome by 2030 or so if the Republicans dissolve into a fringe fascist movement and the new mainstream left/right divide is populist progressives versus corporatist centrists, IE what it looks like in most of Europe

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

GalacticAcid posted:

nobody brought up bernie (or him being president) until you did in this particular context

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lmao if Bernie becomes president you'd be a dumb bitch to get in his way, straight up

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Gunshow Poophole posted:

nobody brought up bernie until you did in this particular context

i did tho

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GalacticAcid posted:

idk, I think medicare extra is pretty lovely. It's better then obamacare, but literally anything is.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

2)

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GalacticAcid posted:

2) The democratic party dissolves and is replaced by social democrats

3) the social democrats pass all of his proposals

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

This one is good too.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

idk, I think medicare extra is pretty lovely. It's better then obamacare, but literally anything is.

if you have an in-depth critique of it i'll read it, but as it stands the whole point of PPP was to hold mainline liberal think tanks to account and the fact that they seem open to it both 1) takes me by surprise and 2) makes me think the proposal is worth considering

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

one of the big reasons the public option failed was Obama was a humongous ineffective coward wrt making sure it was included. Bernie wouldn't do that.

this is getting pretty close to concern trolling.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

If there really is a blue wave and berno has bigly coattails in 2020, hell have his 60 votes and won't be a giant pussy about it. Hell use the gently caress out of the bully pulpit and I'm glad for it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Matt Zerella posted:

one of the big reasons the public option failed was Obama was a humongous ineffective coward wrt making sure it was included. Bernie wouldn't do that.

Bernie would gleefully poo poo on any theoretical people holding up UHC and point out how they're enabling the continuing unnecessary death of uncovered people

Basically what he does right now only the media is hanging onto every word because he's POTUS

Matt Zerella posted:

If there really is a blue wave and berno has bigly coattails in 2020, hell have his 60 votes and won't be a giant pussy about it. Hell use the gently caress out of the bully pulpit and I'm glad for it.

yeah

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Bernie will get rid of term limits and purge all reactionary thought from DC when he is president

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

post more good dems

https://twitter.com/AbdulElSayed/status/974283074409320448

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Then he will replace Obamacare with Medicare extra, confusing everyone

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

honestly I don't care what breunig says about Amazon Medicare Prime. it has Neera tandems fingerprints on it which means there's no way it's good.

Matt Zerella has issued a correction as of 20:36 on Mar 15, 2018

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Workers hopefully plunge the entire Amazon brand into strikes

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Chucktesla posted:

Bernie will get rid of term limits and purge all reactionary thought from DC when he is president

bernie will consume the spice, fuse with the great worm, and rule over earth as its god emperor for millenia

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

GalacticAcid posted:

2)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Matt Zerella posted:

honestly I don't care what breunig says about Amazon Medicare Prime. it has Neera tandems fingerprints on it which means there's no way it's good.

tbh i think a huge reason this proposal has any weight is they're scared of full medicare-for-all and they'd rather give a three-quarters measure they can take credit for than lose.

they're scrambling to have their names on something.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Obama didn't try to use the bully pulpit bc he was all about decorum and half assed corporate handout policies are what he wanted, Bernie will call for bad Dems heads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

this is getting pretty close to concern trolling.

another one of the big reasons the public option failed was because Obama let insurance lobbyists write the bill because he was more concerned about having industry buy-in than he was about getting people covered

• Locked thread