Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

a piss take, but those problems and mechanisms are in motion on a grand scale so it’s almost worthless to blame consumers, that corporations can turn them to blame themselves is a cool trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
so if you're mad because the $15 a month i pay to youtube somehow has to do with the us military using an open source tool developed by google you're going to flip your wig when you find out 50% of the federal taxes i pay go to "defense"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

as an american im fine if i can pay $15/m to get no ads in youtube and music streaming for the family and if it kills a few foreigners well thats just what being an evil empire is all about

sorry foreigners but if its a choice between me getting no ads and you not having drone launched missile attacks at your wedding you cant blame me for picking no ads since youre only getting married once but i watch videos all the time

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

butt dickus posted:

so if you're mad because the $15 a month i pay to youtube somehow has to do with the us military using an open source tool developed by google you're going to flip your wig when you find out 50% of the federal taxes i pay go to "defense"

I don't pay federal taxes either

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

OldAlias posted:

a piss take, but those problems and mechanisms are in motion on a grand scale so it’s almost worthless to blame consumers, that corporations can turn them to blame themselves is a cool trick

framed like that sure, but, i have personally found the (disturbingly far) place where i draw the line on the already rather distasteful yospos ~well i'll just pay up, unlike a filthy poor, thank you very much~ gimmick

i suspect that is the start of getting out of yospos, but that was probably due for all kinds of reasons anyway

stymie was right

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lmao at this guy.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

framed like that sure, but, i have personally found the (disturbingly far) place where i draw the line on the already rather distasteful yospos ~well i'll just pay up, unlike a filthy poor, thank you very much~ gimmick

i suspect that is the start of getting out of yospos, but that was probably due for all kinds of reasons anyway

stymie was right

im the implication of nobility in claiming to be too woke to support the morality paradigm of global capitalism rather than just being too poor to pay for things i want and the lack of dignity associated with simply acknowledging that fact

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The sign says no stymieS, we're allowed to have one.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sapozhnik posted:

The sign says no stymieS, we're allowed to have one.

not more than one (1) stymie shall be permitted to post in yospos

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
ars discussing the new look of android p: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/03/hands-on-with-android-p-is-this-the-beginning-of-a-new-design-language/

quote:

The main motif we can pick out of this new design is "white and round."

google's making the os resemble its users

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
in which google discovers roundrects

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

google's making the os resemble its users
itym employees

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

anthonypants posted:

is there a google pay tier where you can pay for their service but without them reselling your browsing habits

of course not.

the most valuable users would be the ones to take advantage of it so if it were flat priced you'd have a lot of users paying way less than what their browsing info is worth.

but variable pricing matching your profile value would simultaneously discriminate against just about every protected class imaginable.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol at the ios comparisons

also lol

quote:

Under the slider, in a separate box, is a button labeled "Calls." This will switch between "Mute," "Ring," and "Vibrate." This doesn't just control the call ringer volume; it actually controls all notification chimes. So, why is it called "Calls?" I can't remember the last time I made a phone call, and according to Nielsen, texting usage surpassed phone call usage all the way back in 2008. The phone call is dead. Call it "notifications."

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 10, 2018

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Shifty Pony posted:

variable pricing matching your profile value would simultaneously discriminate against just about every protected class imaginable.

Are you saying it would discriminate in the sense that it would be... less expensive?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

the logically related, visually separated controls are making me angry

loving gross

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Fiedler posted:

Are you saying it would discriminate in the sense that it would be... less expensive?

are you daft

the law doesnt care if you "discriminate positively". it would just takes one white rear end in a top hat to ruin the whole thing

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

the law doesnt care if you "discriminate positively"

affirmative action :grin:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Blue Train posted:

affirmative action :grin:

sure but idk, thats another law making an exception under specific circumstances that probably doesnt cover some google idiocy

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Krankenstyle posted:

are you daft

the law doesnt care if you "discriminate positively". it would just takes one white rear end in a top hat to ruin the whole thing

it wouldn't even take that. all sorts of sympathetic groups of people would have to pay more.

for example women who are pregnant or who are trying to become pregnant are a very sought after demographic because if you can hook them on your baby products you've got an every day user for years.

not to mention "google considers women to be worth less than men" not being a good look.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shifty Pony posted:

"google considers women to be worth less than men" not being a good look.

this is 100% provably true though

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

infernal machines posted:

this is 100% provably true though

i had to read that twice lol

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
I read somewhere that if you miscarry there isn't a force on Earth to stop the baby ads

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

By this point I'm surprised they aren't replaced with "your abortion was terrible" ads once their spending habits fall out of the new parent demo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the problem was definitely the name

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

start your day off with a healthy bowl of wear-os

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
make a phone os called talkos

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
the problem wasn't where os, it might be where processors or where demand?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

perhaps the real issue is why os

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

arse technical has a hot take

quote:

Google just remembered that its smartwatch operating system, Android Wear, exists. While we're not getting new hardware or software, the OS is being rebranded to "Wear OS by Google." There's a new name, a new logo, and a new website to promote the brand.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/03/android-wear-isnt-dead-yet-gets-rebranded-as-wear-os-by-google/

ron amadeo is the only android user who is actually self-aware enough to recognize that it's bad

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Endless Mike posted:

ron amadeo is the only android user who is actually self-aware enough to recognize that it's bad
he was the one who wrote that article about how qualcomm is loving android wearables sideways through its indifference a month ago

e: lol from today

quote:

The one thing Wear has going for it is Google's recruitment of fashion brands to make Android Wear watches. Consumers can pick from brands like Fossil, Guess, Gc, Hugo Boss, Michael Kors, Tommy Hilfiger, and others. While they are mostly all the same hardware underneath—with crippling SoC deficiencies, poor battery life, and stagnant software—they do at least come in a variety of styles.
dude is mad mad mad about the lack of progress in anroid wearables

FMguru fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 15, 2018

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

FMguru posted:

he was the one who wrote that article about how qualcomm is loving android wearables sideways through its indifference a month ago

Qualcomm is a bag of dicks but there are plenty of other chip makers out there, especially ones making low end chips like what you would put in a wearable. android wearables were hosed regardless. the os was not nearly light enough to run on a tiny cpu with almost no battery or ram.

the Apple Watch is slow as gently caress and you know Apple is way better at integration and efficiency than the android ecosystem.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Management posted:

the Apple Watch is slow as gently caress and you know Apple is way better at integration and efficiency than the android ecosystem.

yes the apple watch is slow as gently caress just like all other apple products, but lol that you believe the rest

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

Qualcomm is a bag of dicks but there are plenty of other chip makers out there, especially ones making low end chips like what you would put in a wearable. android wearables were hosed regardless. the os was not nearly light enough to run on a tiny cpu with almost no battery or ram.

quoth Wikipedia

quote:

Tech Insights identified the following components in the Apple S3 SiP.[3]

Baseband Processor: Qualcomm MDM9635M, a Snapdragon X7 LTE Modem
DRAM: SK Hynix H54T6D63M, 768 MB LPDDR4 SDRAM
Apple dual-core processor, probably under DRAM
NAND: 4x Toshiba FPV7_32G, total of 16GB flash memory
Wifi + Bluetooth: Apple 338S00348 (W2 chip)
RF Components: Qualcomm WTR3925 RF, AFEM-8069 Front-End Module, Skyworks SKY 78198 Power Amplifier Module (PAM), Qualcomm QFE3100 Envelope Tracker
NFC: NXP PN80V NFC
MCU: STMicro ST33G1M2, a 32-bit ARM SC300 MCU.
(Apple Watch series 3)

dual core armv7. that’s 70% faster than the s2 which supposedly is also a dual core armv7a at 520Mhz

if these are tiny cpus with almost no ram what does that make a cortex m0?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

quoth Wikipedia

(Apple Watch series 3)

dual core armv7. that’s 70% faster than the s2 which supposedly is also a dual core armv7a at 520Mhz

if these are tiny cpus with almost no ram what does that make a cortex m0?

I was talking about tiny with respect to running an os like android.

a cortex m0 is a microcontroller. it does not have an mmu. it does not have caches. it does not have a user mode. it can address tiny amounts of RAM. it is an in-order single issue architecture with no speculation or branch prediction. it is incapable of running a Linux-based system.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
johnny fireball with an actual good point

quote:

This is another sign of Google moving away from promoting “Android”. Back in January, when Google renamed “Android Pay” to “Google Pay”, I pointed out that the Pixel 2 web page only mentions “Android” once, and it’s in a small print footnote.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

it is incapable of running a Linux-based system.

i should’ve said m4 so I could fishmech and link ucLinux

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

is that a tizen on your wrist or are you also here for a biopsy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

FMguru posted:

johnny fireball with an actual good point

wouldn't you not want to be associated with android?

• Locked thread