Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hahahahahaha wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Xaris posted:

its florida, im sure theres a law preventing shielding construction companies from liability or something lolworthy

"as long as the construction was done in good faith"

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Main Paineframe posted:

Florida

also it seems that the bridge was built using a new methodology called Accelerated Bridge Construction, which the university was a big proponent of and had an entire center devoted to researching, so the bidding process probably wasn't quite on the up-and-up. hard to tell how much of it is really new and how much is just buzzwords, tho

ABC, it’s as easy as 1,2,3, there’s a big piece of steel on me

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/maxwelltani/status/974377430831058944

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Florida

also it seems that the bridge was built using a new methodology called Accelerated Bridge Construction, which the university was a big proponent of and had an entire center devoted to researching, so the bidding process probably wasn't quite on the up-and-up. hard to tell how much of it is really new and how much is just buzzwords, tho

this reminds me of how the F-35 was designed with some kind of innovative new project management strategy called Concurrent Development that is meant to save time and money and basically it means you start production on the aircraft before the development is finished. e.g. you to manufacture the wings when the design is finished and then you start to work on the engine while the wings are ramping up production and so on. if you need to make changes later bc the engine couldn't make the power you want and you need bigger wings or w/e then you just go back afterwards and retrofit the modified parts to the old airframes. easy!

if you're thinking "but wouldn't that be likely to make things cost more and take longer?" then you are smarter than the entire pentagon

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
savage

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

this reminds me of how the F-35 was designed with some kind of innovative new project management strategy called Concurrent Development that is meant to save time and money and basically it means you start production on the aircraft before the development is finished. e.g. you to manufacture the wings when the design is finished and then you start to work on the engine while the wings are ramping up production and so on. if you need to make changes later bc the engine couldn't make the power you want and you need bigger wings or w/e then you just go back afterwards and retrofit the modified parts to the old airframes. easy!

if you're thinking "but wouldn't that be likely to make things cost more and take longer?" then you are smarter than the entire pentagon

that isn't concurrent development

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

that isn't concurrent development

well that's what lockheed martin calls it.

quote:

“Concurrency” is a term in Pentagon parlance that means putting something into production while it’s still in testing, or not even tested really at all. The fruition of this crazy concept is the cumulative result of one of the best sales jobs of all time by defense contractors, an over-eager Department of Defense leadership and a low-information, special-interest obsessed Congress. It has nearly shattered the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program and now this cancer has migrated to an even more volatile place, aboard America’s $17B next generation supercarrier, the USS Gerald R. Ford.

The idea that a weapons manufacturer, aided by computer modeling, modern material science and other fragmented improvements in design and construction techniques realized over the last 20 years, can design something so complex yet so perfect on the first try, that testing it is more of a formality than a necessity, is totally strange. This bizarre notion literally goes against every historical trend when it comes to weapons procurement, including many hard learned and expensive lessons of the past. Furthermore, it goes against basic logic. Why purchase something en masse, especially something very expensive, extremely complex, and something that has huge national defense implications, without even verifying its effectiveness first?

Somehow, the DoD, defense contractors and Congress suddenly believed that they could collectively field game changing weapons that were flawless right out of the box, even though they have never really done such a thing before.

It was, and remains, totally absurd.

A concept created out of thin air. A bucket full of half measures that were sold as a panacea for defense procurement woes. In other words, the epitome of “tell them what they want to hear.”

A great business strategy but a horrific defense strategy.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hahahahahaha wtf
https://twitter.com/brownblaze/status/974369263044591618

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

It barely lasted 100 hours, much less 100 years.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Suspension coming soon as DLC.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

It barely lasted 100 hours, much less 100 years.

100 fruit fly years.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

:discourse:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/billycorben/status/974378131720204288?s=21

civil engineers aren’t real engineers, just like computer programmers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i was just wondering if there was a pattern with this construction firm

https://twitter.com/brownblaze/status/974377903038148608

so yeah shockingly the contractors are scum

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

hobbesmaster posted:

https://twitter.com/billycorben/status/974378131720204288?s=21

civil engineers aren’t real engineers, just like computer programmers

seriously. i bet they don’t even know how to shovel coal. :rolleyes:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

accelerated bridge destruction

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Xaris posted:

its florida, im sure theres a law preventing shielding construction companies from liability or something lolworthy

miami will try to pass "bridges must not be death traps" ordinances, followed immediately by the state legislature passing a law saying cities are not allowed to pass building code ordinances because it would create a "patchwork of regulations" so they should just set all building codes themselves

they will then set the building code to be "who cares" and pretend like they improved it instead of making it much worse

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

now, now, I’m sure it was designed by and signed off on by licensed professional engineers

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

good loving job snapchat https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/15/17124472/snapchat-advertisement-domestic-violence-rihanna-chris-brown :eyepop:

quote:

Rihanna posted an Instagram Story today to denounce Snapchat after the platform showed an offensive ad featuring the artist to users. The ad was for a smartphone game called Would You Rather that appeared inside Snapchat over the weekend asking users if they would rather slap Rihanna or punch Chris Brown.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

also, I am 100% surprised to find an excellent take on this issue on these very forums

Alhazred posted:

How many slaps do you think she deserves for the blasphemous act of "posing suggestively"?

poptart_fairy posted:

None at all. A dope slap for doing so on religious sites wouldn't be unwarranted though, I think.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

text me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
people just won't stop hitting blameless self-driving vehicles: tori edition

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

god loving drat it i hate to have to defend uber but that lady is 100% at fault and that headline is pretty much the inverse of what happened

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

god loving drat it i hate to have to defend uber but that lady is 100% at fault and that headline is pretty much the inverse of what happened

eh, it's basically the same as the tesla autopilot fatality (the other vehicle turned left when there was oncoming traffic) and we still make fun of that for being unable to distinguish a loving 18-wheeler from the sky

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
so even if the lady is wrong and the car had it's left signal on instead of right signal, was it changing lanes in an intersection? that's illegal here so i wonder about pittsburgh

edit: nope i'm wrong it's an oft-repeated myth that this is illegal in ontario. it's still considered unsafe though.

quote:

The driver of the other car was Jessica McLemore, a mother of three children
aside, but i loving hate how we identify women by their mother-hood status when it's not relevant to the story. i can't remember ever seeing that done to a man

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yeah that's not even anything to do with driverless cars. that's an idiot without right of way trying to beat the person with a right of way. shes probably used to people making allowances for her bad driving and this time it didn't happen.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also I like the other article they link where a self driving car aborts a lane change because it would have been unsafe and side swipes a motorcycle that illegally entered the half of the lane the car had just left.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

also I like the other article they link where a self driving car aborts a lane change because it would have been unsafe and side swipes a motorcycle that illegally entered the half of the lane the car had just left.

remember to be kind to people on motorcycles, they can't help being such idiots.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

literally so stupid they have to wear helmets

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

literally so stupid they have to wear helmets

psh. most of the time they don't, and if they do they go for minimal helmets that are as good as wearing nothing.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://twitter.com/chRIHssy/status/974390531865432067?s=19

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

reminder: self driving cars are always at fault, zero exceptions.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I don't think that's true unless there are some pretty bad laws out there.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

here is my favorite story about mpg idiocy

in canada, all the dealerships used to advertise cars' fuel efficiency in mpg. yeah we buy fuel in litres and drive in kilometres, but canada only went fully metric in the 80s so most adults are still aware of what a gallon and a mile are. furthermore, we get a ton of american tv and other media, so we're used to seeing those figures, and in any case few people really use the numbers to try and work out how much fuel they need or whatever -- it's just for comparing one car against another. it worked fine and everyone knew that a 10mpg car was bad and a 35mpg one was good.

BUT about fifteen years ago the canadian government said NO! we are a metric nation and you must use metric figures for all sales and advertising! and the metric units for fuel consumption are litres per 100km, l/100km! so all the dealers had to switch over to displaying fuel consumption this way.

everyone hated that. it's an extremely confusing way of writing it (no one cares how many litres of fuel they have to buy to go 100km; if they were doing the calculations, it would be how many kilometres they can go on one litres) and the nature of the ratio makes it very nonlinear at the common ranges. a car that gets 3l/100km is way, way better than one that uses 5l/100km, but one that does 17l is not that different from one that does 20l. mathematically this makes sense but to an average human it is obscure and confusing. furthermore, no one had any idea what the new units meant, or whether their car that gets 11l/100km is better or worse than their old jeep that did 14mpg.

so there was a big angry response from both consumers and dealers. eventually, the government did give in. they said "okay, fine, you still have to put the l/100km figure on the sticker, but you can use miles per gallon as well if you want..."

"...BUT we are not some kind of god damned americans so you cannot use that goddamned american gallon! we still think of ourselves as british subjects so you will use the IMPERIAL gallon when writing the mpg figures! yes, that will make everyone happy. now shut up and don't bother us again!"

and so the result now is that cars in canada have their fuel consumption posted in l/100km, which no one on the planet understands, and their fuel economy in mpgimp, which is a 20% larger figure than the american mpg number and thus not directly comparable to any statistics from that country.

:canada: fin

Lol Canada is so hosed up and dumb

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol, it's because of this ad that they were showing users
https://twitter.com/TheRoyceMann/status/973070617821007872

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Two things:

A> pedestrians get hit and killed at that spot constantly
B> Uber's self driving cars here aren't. I see them every day and have for years and there's always a guy behind the wheel actively driving. I am 100% convinced it's all a scam to mislead investors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Lol Canada is so hosed up and dumb

ur posts, pls don't sign them